Work Visas And Long Term Relationships.

At present i have been here for 4 years with a work permit. I have been living with my Thai GF for 3 years now. If i lost my Job, while living with her as (in the UK's legal terms) my common law wife, will i be kicked out of Thailand as i will no longer have a work permit? (I gather an O visa means you cannot work)

Thanks

It depends on the basis of your permission to stay:

If based on visa entry (visa issued by Thai consulate), you can remain in the country for the duration of your current permission to stay and, if holding multiple entry visa, can do a border run for new 90 day permission to stay whilst visa remains valid.

If based on extension of stay linked to employment (issued by Thai immigration), you would have to leave the country on your last day of working (or obtain 7 day extension from immigration).

If you were to marry and your extension of stay was based on marriage to Thai, loss of employment would not affect your permission to stay.

A non immigrant O visa, as with any visa, does not permit work without a work permit. But a work permit can be obtained with use a visa entry. Most married people will have an O entry and are able to obtain as work permit using it.

You have no legal status. You are not married under Thai law until you sign paperwork at the District Office.