Racism In Thailand

Loz

As a black man living in Bkk, I get the stares, the purse-clutching and the funny faces. Do I care? NO!!!!

I get similar reactions in America, in Europe, Asia etc....

The OP's observations are on point. But I do think that most of what he encounters is due to ignorance

not racism.... When I am face with such situation, I just laugh it off.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thai guys from bangkok would not date isaan girls... they joke "leave the isaan girls

for the falangs"... must be some reason - i dont know, maybe you do?

What rubbish.

Bangkok hi-so guys and girls are completely incompatible with lo-so's from isaan.

How many bkk hi-so's do you know that believe in flying ghosts or eat jumping insects?

There is so much focus on image in bkk, nose jobs, the latest fashion, how is an isaan girl

with 2 kids, 4 buffalos, 20 chickens, thirty uncles, aunties, cousins, etc to support going

to fit in?

The reason isaan girls go for western guys, is because most western guys like sia dumm

(dark skin), or just got off the plane and are dumbfounded by being surrounded by 20 girls

all wanting them (in nana where else). They know thai guys wont date them.

Come on man, ask around some young thai guys in bkk, how many isaan girls they have

dated or would marry.... almost none, they leave them for foreigners...

the truth is out there.

Its pretty hard trying to get a seat in a gogo bar these days.

The seats are usually occupied by hiso Thai Chinese searching for their life partner in Soi Cowboy or the Nana Plaza.

Are you kidding? Those are Japanese or Korean tourists.

If you want to see hi-so people with their dates go to the trendy clubs or restaurants around Thonglor. Hi-so Thai-Chinese rarely pay for it because they don't have to.

How much did Noi from Nakon Nowhere take you for ? :):D

Sorry, I never had a gf from Isaan, so cannot answer to the above question.

As a general point, girls don't "take" me for anything, I prefer a mutually

trusting and loving relationship, I don't date girls who are liable to "take" the

guy, as you so eloquently put it.

How much did Noi from Nakon Nowhere take you for ? :):D

Sorry, I never had a gf from Isaan, so cannot answer to the above question.

As a general point, girls don't "take" me for anything, I prefer a mutually

trusting and loving relationship, I don't date girls who are liable to "take" the

guy, as you so eloquently put it.

I guess it only really matters if you have avoided girls from Issan for a particular reason such as perceived racial/ethnic inferiority.

My wife was shocked when I tought her the French greeting Monsieur et Dame - which sounded pronounced as "dam".

A teenage relative also was very brutal about her skin colour.

But older people know there are good and bad people and the colour of their skin is no indication of their worth.

My wife was shocked when I tought her the French greeting Monsieur et Dame - which sounded pronounced as "dam".

A teenage relative also was very brutal about her skin colour.

But older people know there are good and bad people and the colour of their skin is no indication of their worth.

So you are saying that the young people here do not know this???

thai guys from bangkok would not date isaan girls... they joke "leave the isaan girls

for the falangs"... must be some reason - i dont know, maybe you do?

What rubbish.

Bangkok hi-so guys and girls are completely incompatible with lo-so's from isaan.

How many bkk hi-so's do you know that believe in flying ghosts or eat jumping insects?

There is so much focus on image in bkk, nose jobs, the latest fashion, how is an isaan girl

with 2 kids, 4 buffalos, 20 chickens, thirty uncles, aunties, cousins, etc to support going

to fit in?

The reason isaan girls go for western guys, is because most western guys like sia dumm

(dark skin), or just got off the plane and are dumbfounded by being surrounded by 20 girls

all wanting them (in nana where else). They know thai guys wont date them.

Come on man, ask around some young thai guys in bkk, how many isaan girls they have

dated or would marry.... almost none, they leave them for foreigners...

the truth is out there.

You are confusing classes with location. Generally speaking, Bangkok hi-so are not compatible with any middle class or hi-so. That is also true for most of the countries on earth.

I know many bangkok middle class married with isaan midle class. I even have a isaan GF once but she left me. She later met a nice German guy and married him. My sister married isaan man and seem to get along just fine.

Ignorance seem like a plage here.

ignorance is not outgrown in general here. It seems it is most often ingrained. I've never seen a Thai elder repremand a kid for saying something innapropriate.

I actually see it quite often but, it is the Thai Chinese among whom I see it. They are fairly strict with their kids and correct them when they step out of line.

So what if Thailand is a 'racist' country? It has nothing to do with us visitors.

As always on thaivisa, its ok to have hundreds of posts pointing out how bad the Thais are, but any other 'racial' comments of other races are banned. A balanced argument is impossible here.

Can anyone give any examples of countries where multiculturalism has worked and benefited a country?

in melbourne australia, multiculturalism has failed - the thais and vietnamese live in their own

suburb (oakleigh/springvale), the greeks and italians around north melbourne and sunshine, the jewish

are mostly caulfield and bentleigh, the russians are in st.kilda, the hi-so rich are in toorak and

kew, the nigerians and other africans are in springvale, i can go on, etc, etc.

everyone stays in their own communities, speaks their own language, and generally has their own

friends.

multiculturalism has failed big time in melbourne.

remember the race riots in sydney (cronulla riots 2005), between the ozzies and lebs (lebanese):

The 2005 Cronulla riots were a series of racially motivated riots and mob violence originating in

Cronulla, New South Wales and spreading, over the next few nights, to additional Sydney suburbs.

Keep them all segregated, that's what seems to work.

I doubt that Multiculturalism has failed, its just that their hasn't been enough work on it. In the States it took, and still takes to maintain, A LOT of work. but for us it's worth it. If in Ausi they still think it's ok to have KFC commercials with a lone white guy in a group of blacks tossing around fried chicken because he feels "awkward" then yeah, yall got some more work to do. It's the people who through their hands in the air and give up on their countrymen because they look different whom are the biggest problem and require the most work.

There's a whole lot of information directly available from Thais that contradicts the black and white view from a bar stool too common on TV.

What? You mean what you see on those sappy Thai soap operas ISN'T a true depiction of life in Thailand? :):D:D

it is definitely mild racism that i personaly think can turn into something stronger but i am a brit and racism is the devil where i come from, i think if it bothers u and its fine if it does, its how we have been brought up you could take it as friendly banter and find somethings to take the mick out of them with there are quite a few things! something i dont undersand is that a country so heavily based on bhuddism can be a bit racist does bhuddism teach to accept all peoples view and differences

it is definitely mild racism that i personaly think can turn into something stronger but i am a brit and racism is the devil where i come from, i think if it bothers u and its fine if it does, its how we have been brought up you could take it as friendly banter and find somethings to take the mick out of them with there are quite a few things! something i dont undersand is that a country so heavily based on bhuddism can be a bit racist does bhuddism teach to accept all peoples view and differences

Yes,

if you admit that prejudice is "counter to Buddha's teachings" then you can fairly call them on the hypocrisy of it all. But you have to first admit that there is an inherent problem with the behavior as it is described here. I personally think that it typifies the behaviors that continue to hinder the development of the Nation in terms of both global awareness (which would enable them to be more globally competitive) and also "social stability" - please note I did not say Politi.... ah! almost got me!

You don't understand how "a country so heavily based on bhuddism can be a bit racist"?

You're kidding right? Thai buddhism is v pragmatic, think about 'merit making' whereby you can behave as badly as you like, but if you give money to the temple (or whatever), they believe it won't affect their next life. :)

Money is incredibly important here, hence all the ladies chasing Westerners - hardly something Buddah promoted.

I'm only kinda brown/yellow [Malay-Chinese mix]. But also "vertically-challenged" and rotund and have a host of other "imperfections".

I do notice that the propensity for locals to comment on/joke about apparent, accepted, or obvious physical flaws is directly proportional to education or mis-education, and general mental age. The staff, cleaning crew, or security guards for example have no trouble pointing and laughing at me when I so much as hold up a plate of food in my hands. Middle managers will take rare jabs at me but will recoup with a friendly gesture that shows they were only teasing.

Also, I think this form of discrimination is cultural. They are heavily influenced by India's caste system and it has become their way of life. They accept this without much thought and behave accordingly.

A black man came to my hotel today. He was looking for a place to stay on a very, very low budget. Since he wanted to stay for two months, I suggested that he rent an apartment, as he could get something for 3-5k which would work out fairly cheap. He insisted he wanted a guest house, so I took him to the nearest cheapest guest house I knew, though I'd never stayed there before. Turns out 200 baht was more than he was looking to pay and the owner said it was full anyway, but as he wandered around looking at nearby guest houses I sat down with the owner and she explained to me in Thai that if the guy had been white she'd have said there was a room available, but because he was black she said they were full.

I knew I had as much chance of changing her opinion as an ice cube does of surviving a BBQ in hel_l, so I smiled at her, said 'they're all criminals, right?' we nodded knowingly and I left.

Racism!

A black man came to my hotel today. He was looking for a place to stay on a very, very low budget. Since he wanted to stay for two months, I suggested that he rent an apartment, as he could get something for 3-5k which would work out fairly cheap. He insisted he wanted a guest house, so I took him to the nearest cheapest guest house I knew, though I'd never stayed there before. Turns out 200 baht was more than he was looking to pay and the owner said it was full anyway, but as he wandered around looking at nearby guest houses I sat down with the owner and she explained to me in Thai that if the guy had been white she'd have said there was a room available, but because he was black she said they were full.

I knew I had as much chance of changing her opinion as an ice cube does of surviving a BBQ in hel_l, so I smiled at her, said 'they're all criminals, right?' we nodded knowingly and I left.

Racism!

I'm Black and I heard about that too, and while I'm not sure if I encountered it or if the hotels where really "ALL FULL" I never had a hard time finding a place to stay. And I have ran the gambit from cheap charlie (3000baht a month) places in Pattaya in '01 to the Banyan Tree and other nice spots.

*shrug* in this case this guy seemed like he needed some seriously cheap shit so she wasn't loosing anything anyway. But as far as I'm concerned if anyone did give me the "All Full" line screw em, I'm glad to have spent my money else where.

Interesting, your choice of racism. I have a good friend that works the middle east, he comes to Thailand for two weeks every 3 months and stays with me. He is Black, I am white. It took him a while to get used to being called chocolate man. However he was never offended by it. I've seen women tell him to his face "I never go with chocolate man" and others say "I like chocolate man" I've been asked by ladies to introduce me when they found out he is my friend, or I have chocolate man friend. Walking by a bar with him we get more hoots and hollers from the ladies than when I'm with a white man.

What I find raciest here is when I go someplace and the entrance fee is 900 bht for my Thai girlfriend, and 2200 for me. I turn around and walk away anytime there is two tier pricing based on race.

What I find raciest here is when I go someplace and the entrance fee is 900 bht for my Thai girlfriend, and 2200 for me. I turn around and walk away anytime there is two tier pricing based on race.

I would say that is more nationalist don't you think? I know Indian and Chinese Thais who get the "Thai rate" because they're Thai citizens. Even some whites get the Thai rate.

I got charged the "foreign rate" for a hotel in Chiang Mai because I'm Southern Thai. If you don't have the "right accent", you get charged double even if you're Thai, depending on the location.

I'd say there is a fair amount of racism here. Anyone remember the 'Darlie' (brown toothpaste) ad?

A child has a balloon but loses hold of it. A black man manages to rescue the balloon and hands it to her. At that point the child's mum rushes over with a terrified look on her face and pulls the child away. The black guy looks very sad and goes and lies down on a bed that is actually a giant toothbrush.

The closing slogan is "Darlie, black but good!'.

Pretty racist in my book.

Actually it was the Double Lotus brand, herbal toothpaste. The point was that the color of the herbal toothpaste is reddish-brown and different from the rest, but it's supposed to be "good for you". Therefore, the ads tries to say, "Do not judge the book by the cover" sort of thing. Well, as a Thai, this is what I perceive to be the message.

FYI, the Darlie toothpaste used to be called "Darkie" with a black-face minstrel logo many many years ago, but was changed after an American company bought it. Difficult to explain to the shareholders, I suppose. I would think how Darkie toothpaste was promoted was much more racist.

Took this pic a few weeks ago in Bangkok. :)

post-99587-1264544841_thumb.jpg

I'd say there is a fair amount of racism here. Anyone remember the 'Darlie' (brown toothpaste) ad?

A child has a balloon but loses hold of it. A black man manages to rescue the balloon and hands it to her. At that point the child's mum rushes over with a terrified look on her face and pulls the child away. The black guy looks very sad and goes and lies down on a bed that is actually a giant toothbrush.

Actually it was the Double Lotus brand, herbal toothpaste. The point was that the color of the herbal toothpaste is reddish-brown and different from the rest, but it's supposed to be "good for you". Therefore, the ads tries to say, "Do not judge the book by the cover" sort of thing. Well, as a Thai, this is what I perceive to be the message.

FYI, the Darlie toothpaste used to be called "Darkie" with a black-face minstrel logo many many years ago, but was changed after an American company bought it. Difficult to explain to the shareholders, I suppose. I would think how Darkie toothpaste was promoted was much more racist.

You took that picture a few weeks ago? Wasn't Darkie toothpaste renamed to Darlie about 20 years ago?

You are a liar and not a very good one. Everything in that picture is at least 20+ years old.