Fish And Chips Review

nikster

Went to The Chili Bell Fish and Chips Cafe at Rimping near Airport plaza as part of my Quixotic quest to find a perfect Fish and Chips place. Had the Cod for 180 baht. They say it's branch #2 so I guess there's must be a branch #1 somewhere.

Pro:

- Fish is perfect. It's not a huge portion but the fish was fresh as can be and simply perfect. Never had better. A thick fresh filet of cod wrapped in just the right amount of breading - YUM!

Cons, in order of importance:

- Ketchup is that cheap Thai stuff instead of proper Heinz. For 180 baht, I can't accept that. Besides, it makes the chips taste like crap too. Maybe I am too picky but Heinz can't cost that much more, I have seen it in cheaper places and with cheaper meals.

- Chips way too greasy, must improve.

- Serving in a basket on paper looks very neat, except when the grease makes holes in the paper and things start falling out the bottom. Also plastic knife and forks - classy!

- Had to ask for tartar sauce - well OK, this isn't a Michelin restaurant but Fish&Chips without sauce tartar, who's ever heard of that? Anyway I got it promptly.

Final words: So much potential with that fish, throws it all away on the details. But, details matter.

Anyone know a great fish and chips place in Chiang Mai?

I tried at the Red Lion was totally disappointed, and at the Dukes which was also slightly disappointing, not something I will order again.

Edited by nikster

Pros: Fish is perfect. It's not a huge portion but the fish was fresh as can be and simply perfect. Never had better.

Cons: Fish also a bit too greasy. So much potential with that fish!!

Well that's confusing!! :)

Hahaha, I just edited that out because it didn't make any sense - thought about it, it's just the chips that were too greasy, but it started to go everywhere else too. The more I think about this fish the more I realize it was perfect...

You are way too quick with your responses! Anyway, do you know a nice F&C place in CM?

Edited by nikster

Pros: Fish is perfect. It's not a huge portion but the fish was fresh as can be and simply perfect. Never had better.

Cons: Fish also a bit too greasy. So much potential with that fish!!

Well that's confusing!! :)

Hahaha, I just edited that out because it didn't make any sense - thought about it, it's just the chips that were too greasy, but it started to go everywhere else too. The more I think about this fish the more I realize it was perfect...

You are way too quick with your responses! Anyway, do you know a nice F&C place in CM?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

a huge fish and chip thread was just closed cuase we were sick of it and you open another one Charlie come on mate enoughs enough :D

Use the searhc function for more than enough of the best fish and chippys in CM

Use the searhc function for more than enough of the best fish and chippys in CM

Have you tried using the crappy "search function" using fish and chips or Chilli Bell?

Dont take rocket science to work it out try Chips or Fish

in this case chips is the search term :)

Edited by FarangCravings

Have you tried using the crappy "search function" using fish and chips or Chilli Bell?

Really? Then your rocket must a great deal more scientific than mine. Searching for "chips" on my rocket simply regurgitates this thread.

Edited by Asmerom

Really? Then your rocket must a great deal more scientific than mine. Searching for "chips" on my rocket simply regurgitates this thread.

:D:D:D:D LOL once yo do a search not on this thread but from the MAIN CM forum the 6th result down is the Fish and chips thread

Ok let me make it REAL easy for you just click on this link

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Fish-Chips-C...ml&hl=chips

:D:D:D:D LOL once yo do a search not on this thread but from the MAIN CM forum the 6th result down is the Fish and chips thread

Ok let me make it REAL easy for you just click on this link

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Fish-Chips-C...ml&hl=chips

thanks for the link. Sure hope it's not closed though because as they say on television reruns... It's new to you!

I usually try a search but somehow my keen google skillz don't translate to TV where I never find anything. Yeah sure, should have google-searched TV!

The place has gone rapidly down hill in my estimation. I was a fan when it opened then prices shot up and the last time I went there I got 6 chips. They also charge 10baht for a tiny dish of tartre sauce...their mark-up must be awesome on that

I won't be going again..

I do take issue with the OP's remarks about the Red Lion's F & C ...best in CM..IMHO

But others are right this is a boring thread and we don't really need it, so I have no idea why I am contributing to it, really just to point out the "6 chips bit" really..I did complain, but just got a typical Thai shrug of the shoulders and great smile...ah well chips are fattening anyway..who needs 'em ???

The place has gone rapidly down hill in my estimation. I was a fan when it opened then prices shot up and the last time I went there I got 6 chips. They also charge 10baht for a tiny dish of tartre sauce...their mark-up must be awesome on that

I won't be going again..

I do take issue with the OP's remarks about the Red Lion's F & C ...best in CM..IMHO

But others are right this is a boring thread and we don't really need it, so I have no idea why I am contributing to it, really just to point out the "6 chips bit" really..I did complain, but just got a typical Thai shrug of the shoulders and great smile...ah well chips are fattening anyway..who needs 'em ???

Dunno, I went through the entire other thread(s) and there wasn't a decent review in sight. <blah> is good/bad was as detailed as it got. Piggys is supposed to be the place to go, so I will definitely check that next time. Do they have Heinz?

I guess the Red Lion will get a second chance too, lots of ppl seem to like it - maybe I was there on a bad day?!

BTW if this thread is boring you to tears you really don't need to read it or write anything in it, it's easy enough to just skip the thing isn't it?

Edited by nikster

Dunno, I went through the entire other thread(s) and there wasn't a decent review in sight. <blah> is good/bad was as detailed as it got. Piggys is supposed to be the place to go, so I will definitely check that next time. Do they have Heinz?

Beanz Meanz Heinz.

There's a chilli belle on a small soi heading towards doi suthep just off the canal road before the 700 year stadium. It's a lovely English-style converted house restaurant. When I've been there it's mainly Thais ordering Thai food. The Thai food is delicious. It says 'fish and chips' outside.

Edited by Loaded

To the OP:

You are right, if posters are not interested in a thread reviewing fish and chip plaices ( :) ) they can just skip the thread.

On TV you will always get posts promoting one particular outlet, often with little or no reference to the facts.

As you implied, just go yourself to each place and try for yourself. Check the quality and size of the fish and how it is fried, same with the chips

Charlies and Piggys are quite close to each other. I know which I would prefer.

caf

I recommend no more polls on "best" in town for anything. There is too much cheating and the results are worthless. Too bad because it was a way to give good places free publicity. :)

I agree there is no value in the polls. The cheating and, self-promotion, is so obvious that it probably has the effect of steering people away from the "top" poll result anyway.

Best to use the thread for a list of names and then try each one oneself.

The threads are good however as a way of informing people of interesting plaices. I notice you have started one with a glowing report of Pun Ping. Let people try it for themselves, and othes, and report back,

caf

I recommend no more polls on "best" in town for anything. There is too much cheating and the results are worthless. Too bad because it was a way to give good places free publicity. :D

I think we should have a poll to determine which has been the best thread related to fish & chips in Chiang Mai. :)

I have also found a new place serving very good fish and chips.It is called Praties at the Mee Chock Plaza Rimping.Worth alook.

Understatement of the year, my friend!

OK, it's not February yet, but you get my drift. Praties (the real Irish word for potatoes - not 'tatties'!) is to be found down the right hand side of Rimping @ Mee Chok Plaza (junction of the Central Ring Road and Mae Jo road, the only clocktower in CM).

It is run by an Anglo-Aussie and his lovely fluent-English Thai wife. He is a catering professional who had a string of restaurants in Tasmania (nee Van Diemens Land!) and he really does know what he is doing.

Today I spent an almighty 120b on a big plate of excellent chips, generous (and imaginative) salad, 3 pieces of lovely, lightly & properly battered fish with tartare sauce AND GLASS OF WATER for FREE! The fish was flakey and tasty, very similar to cod and in volume just less than TWICE what you'd get at the tiny place near the other Rimping near the airport.

Praties started offering fish n chips 3 days a week, but kept selling out, so now this golden treasure is there 6 days a week (closed on Mondays). Beware the awful street market, full of total tat, which makes parking impossible there every Mon and Tues night!

On my first visit 2 weeks back I chose a club sandwich, which is also served with chips and a little salad. In over half a century of eating out, this was the first man who ever asked me how I wanted the bacon (in the sandwich) cooked!! What a star!

Praties does not stock beer, but within legal hours it is served to you cold and at COST PRICE via someone close by. I have no connection, etc etc, except as a Very happy customer.

And why has Piggies been closed the last 3 times I've been chipless in the city??

I'll report back on Praties and Piggys as time allows. I guess another issue with reviews is that things change very quickly, particularly in Thailand. Or the boss goes on vacation.... In fact I know a few restaurants that have fantastic, gorgeous food - except when the boss isn't there, when the food looks and tastes nothing like before, so the tricky part is finding out whether or not the boss is there.

I recommend no more polls on "best" in town for anything. There is too much cheating and the results are worthless. Too bad because it was a way to give good places free publicity. :D

The threads are good however as a way of informing people of interesting plaices. I notice you have started one with a glowing report of Pun Ping. Let people try it for themselves, and othes, and report back,

caf

PUN PING ! ! ... PUN PING ! !

the owner must be turning over in his grave....

PUN PUN de one wid da meeeet !

:):D

Edited by Gonzo the Face