Police Crackdown On Foreign Operated Sex Bars

Rimmer

i doubt it so....

how do you figure that.... 99% are foreign owned or backed?

Perfect way to kill even more tourism and investors.

I wonder would be Pattaya be without all the "bad" bars? a nice empty space in Thailand?! LOL

PS.

LOL

May be you do not live here or get to meet too many people, but i think there are only a handfull of bars that are 100% Thai owned

But i am talking about bigger, busy bars not a bungalow shack with few chairs.

From what i know there most on Walking Street are foreign owned or backed, including some of the biggest clubs.

Right now i can only think of Happy GoGo and Worldwide Gogo being Thai Owned.

You obviously dont know a lot then

Yes obviously i do not.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[/quote

LOL

May be you do not live here or get to meet too many people, but i think there are only a handfull of bars that are 100% Thai owned

But i am talking about bigger, busy bars not a bungalow shack with few chairs.

From what i know there most on Walking Street are foreign owned or backed, including some of the biggest clubs.

Right now i can only think of Happy GoGo and Worldwide Gogo being Thai Owned.]

You obviously dont know a lot then

Seconded. That's barking.

Yes you absolutely and entirely correct!

dam_n, why do not i have friends like you that know it all?? why why?!you must be one of the 25 year expats who retired on wealth you made back home?

how about if i name at least 10 gogo owners by their first name, would that satisfy you? or would you prefer to see business registrations?

Are you actually aware that at least 6 bars on Walking Street are owned by the same person? and another 5 by a group of foreigners?

Not to mention a large number of bars owned by a Thai (wife) but backed by a foreigner husband or boyfiriend or owned by a company which is backed by a foreigner!

May i suggest you get out little more often and rather then drinking just read the names on the licenses, yes i know they in Thai, so some Thai lessons would surely help.

Lets be realistic, take away the bar scene and what would Pattaya be? What has Pattaya always been?

Who buys and rents all the condo's? and how many family's do you see around Pattata?

Pattaya is a single men town which was created just for that and always served just for that. Take that away and what would you be left with?

There are are thousands of not millions of men who save entire year to come to Pattaya for one reason and one reason only. Take away that reason from them and see how many will come.

Its all good and well to be a saint and preach the "good" but sometimes its very useful to wake up and see the reality of things and see things for what they actually are with open eyes rather then through shaded sunglasses

Edited by kuffki

Sex has been for sale as far back as history goes and it will be on sale the same distance forward i guess - all these crackdowns in any country do is move it around. Its time that we all recognised that for many people sex is important, important enough to pay for.. there is such a thing as sex for sex's sake completely outside any notion of romantic involvement. No doubt the authorities are geared up to provide the sex workers with alternative jobs that will give them the same sort of income....yeah right

I suspect as usual the hand of some do gooder western nation behind all this - probably the same one that is causing the persecution of gay people in Uganda........ironically the same nation whose armed forces were responsible for the explosion of the sex industry in Thailand in the first place.

If this is effective which, I seriously doubt it will be, then Thailand will be losing even more tourists to Cambodia and Vietnam - I thought the TAT were seeking to attract high rollers duh the high rollers will take their cash elsewhere if they cant entertain a pretty Thai 19 year old (boy / girl or inbetween)

Sensible countries recognise that there is value in legalising - they can tax the incomes, target health resources and protect both workers and clients

This post makes no sense.

Who is persecuting gay people in Uganda?

Whose armed forces were responsible the "explosion" of the sex industry in Thailand?

I know that in '75 there were 2 hotels, and a couple of bars in Pattaya. Few if any girls were available, that all happened later.

Get yoiur facts straight. :)

Sex has been for sale as far back as history goes and it will be on sale the same distance forward i guess - all these crackdowns in any country do is move it around. Its time that we all recognised that for many people sex is important, important enough to pay for.. there is such a thing as sex for sex's sake completely outside any notion of romantic involvement. No doubt the authorities are geared up to provide the sex workers with alternative jobs that will give them the same sort of income....yeah right

I suspect as usual the hand of some do gooder western nation behind all this - probably the same one that is causing the persecution of gay people in Uganda........ironically the same nation whose armed forces were responsible for the explosion of the sex industry in Thailand in the first place.

If this is effective which, I seriously doubt it will be, then Thailand will be losing even more tourists to Cambodia and Vietnam - I thought the TAT were seeking to attract high rollers duh the high rollers will take their cash elsewhere if they cant entertain a pretty Thai 19 year old (boy / girl or inbetween)

Sensible countries recognise that there is value in legalising - they can tax the incomes, target health resources and protect both workers and clients

Dont really understand what you are trying to say.

Dont think you have all your facts correct.

Also are you saying we will lose tourists because of sex and they will go to Vietnam for sex? I guess you haven't been to Vietnam.

Edited by ericthai

I should do. I have lived here long enough to see Pattaya turned from a pleasant seaside resort into a sex super market.

That would have to be pre-vietnam war????????

My thoughts exactly.

He been here long time.

I know that in '75 there were 2 hotels, and a couple of bars in Pattaya. Few if any girls were available, that all happened later.

Get yoiur facts straight. :)

There we have it - 'gamini' must have been here around 1975

Pattaya is exploding with crime, etc, and thus its well due for a cleanup. The government is now run by Abhisit who wants everything done by the book (thanks to his UK education and morals). I think its a good thing. The irony is that its always the evil foreigners who have done wrong and are blamed and not the Thais. I would say the Thais don't want Thailand to become a magnet for foreign criminals.

Also its pretty clear that investing here is a minefield and you will loose your money here eventually, and it only works if you are a rich multinational! Thus I say keep your money, don't spend more that you are prepared to loose and just enjoy Thailand for what it is!

Here we go again...

...some wannabee HiSo Thai cop in Bangkok who isn't getting his cut of the money paid by the bars has decided to be a dog in the manger until someone gives him his due. Yawn. Same, same every 6 months.

A paranoid conspiracy theory;

1. Thai bar owner group who had foreign backing investor wishes to take the whole business

goes to cops and offers a cut in order to chase off the foreign investment holders so they can consolidate a 100 percent ownership

2. Cops accept and set up a scare them off plan where the foreigners voluntarily withdraw

3. Get a journalist friend to publish this pre warning

LOL.. just joking

(or am i?)

Question;

Will this stop girly bars existing and prostitution in Pattaya?

if it does, will Pattaya have as much tourism?

Eve was the first prostitute over 2 thousand years ago and all she got paid was an apple from Adam...

Not being a religious man, your post brought up a couple of questions.

According to most religions, it was indeed more than 2,000 years ago. Quite a bit more. But I won't quibble on that point.

But, how do you figure Eve was a prostitute? As best as I can recall, she had no other options so was faithful to her husband and had a bunch of kids with him.

Also, if I recall the myth correctly, she took the apple herself (with encouragement of the serpent) and offered it to Adam.

I'm not offended by your remarks, heck, I believe Eve was a scrawny little monkey on the African savanna. But no matter how sexually profligate monkeys may be, I don't think you can call instinctual actions being a prostitute. So, maybe I've missed some little religious point. Please enlighten me.

Are you trying to be clever? I was being rediculous. I've never read the bible thank god! Scrawny little monkey on the African savanna was Lucy not Eve :)

There seems to be some misconception what Interpol is. I suggest that many need to Google Interpol and find out what role they perform. All a cop needs is access to a computer terminal and the right of access to avail themselves of Interpol services. As I understand it they are a clearinghouse for information and intelligence without powers of arrest or to carry arms in any country.

My guess is that not a few settlers here wouldn't want to talk with the Revenue authorities of their home countries but would be of no interest to Police forces. Furthermore, few countries would want to pay cops to swan around picking up peeps in various parts of the world just to settle a few parking tickets.

to all the foreigners: stop using the bars, stop buying beers, stop buying

the prostitutes, and dont visit these establishments.

then they cannot pay their rents, they cannot pay the bribe money, you

all have nothing to bitch about the thai police being corrupt, and the city

can be cleaned up.

it is up to you foreigners living there, if you dont support the whore trade,

it will fold....

"Bar fines" are pimping fees, nothing less. These fees go to the bar owner for every time one of his

Bar girls (prostitutes) leaves to have sex with a customer. He is living off the earnings of prostitutes.

and?????????? what is so wrong with that? you take a lady out of the bar , there is one less attractive lady in the bar , so you have less customers...... please explain what you see wrong !

no barfine= no girls in the bar simple!

I bet it's one of Abhisit's brainfarts to "clean up" Thailand and make it more like Hong Kong or Singapore. Even in those places there's prostitution, though. So I guess he's just looking to lose even more votes.

give me a break ! in singapore you get stopped every 2 minutes by prostitutes/pimps on the sidewalk ..." i got chinese, thai, indonesian , vietnamese ....what do you want?"

Yes you absolutely and entirely correct!

dam_n, why do not i have friends like you that know it all?? why why?!you must be one of the 25 year expats who retired on wealth you made back home?

how about if i name at least 10 gogo owners by their first name, would that satisfy you? or would you prefer to see business registrations?

Are you actually aware that at least 6 bars on Walking Street are owned by the same person? and another 5 by a group of foreigners?

Not to mention a large number of bars owned by a Thai (wife) but backed by a foreigner husband or boyfiriend or owned by a company which is backed by a foreigner!

May i suggest you get out little more often and rather then drinking just read the names on the licenses, yes i know they in Thai, so some Thai lessons would surely help.

Lets be realistic, take away the bar scene and what would Pattaya be? What has Pattaya always been?

Who buys and rents all the condo's? and how many family's do you see around Pattata?

Pattaya is a single men town which was created just for that and always served just for that. Take that away and what would you be left with?

There are are thousands of not millions of men who save entire year to come to Pattaya for one reason and one reason only. Take away that reason from them and see how many will come.

Its all good and well to be a saint and preach the "good" but sometimes its very useful to wake up and see the reality of things and see things for what they actually are with open eyes rather then through shaded sunglasses

finally someone who hasn't his head buried in the sand

"Bar fines" are pimping fees, nothing less. These fees go to the bar owner for every time one of his

Bar girls (prostitutes) leaves to have sex with a customer. He is living off the earnings of prostitutes.

and?????????? what is so wrong with that? you take a lady out of the bar , there is one less attractive lady in the bar , so you have less customers...... please explain what you see wrong !

Not really - little is earned from bar fines. Real money is made through pushing drinks. Hardly a pimp in any form or fashion.

Farang know what farang like. Farang bar operators will cater mostly to farang, and offer venues that fellow farang like. Thais open bars in tourist areas which perhaps try to cater to farang, but don't do as good a job, with crappy too-loud music, and traffic sounds/smog wafting in from outside. Probably also too cold with over-wrought air conditioning.

So, Thai wanna-be successful bar owners look around and see farang-run bars which are popular and think, "that's no fair. They come to my country and start business and take customers away from me. I want that bar and get many customer like them."

Added note concerning the ambiance at resorts: I visit farang-managed resorts and Thai managed resorts and here is one big difference: farang-run resorts will have less superfluous noise. I'm not just referring to crappy fidelity radio blaring/droning in the background, as Thai-run resorts have. It also applies to pots and pans clanging, staff talking/gossiping loudly, doors open allowing traffic noise/smog to enter, loud Thai parties in the room next door, etc. Those may seem like little things, but for those who are sensitive to sounds and like quiet (and appreciate good music), those little factors add up to besmirch the overall ambiance of a place.

So if a guy rents tools to building contractors, he's living off the earnings of his rented tools. Or if a woman rents out apartments, she's living off earnings........

....what's your point?

oh, maybe because 'people's services' are involved in the transaction.

Ok using that analogy, there are hospitals which take a % of the activities of doctors. And security firms / massage shops / police forces, which rent out services of their pool of workers, etc. Are you saying that the people who manage service providers should not get a cut of the action?

Edited by brahmburgers

:D

Concur with niveknedwob

You have to laugh! This will save the pimps from paying out to the

'MAFIA and others' Will this be a two pronged attack on the

girls and clients, or the pimps and MAFIA?

The resultant action does not need any deep thought!

:)

very surpised.... that some officials finally decide to take some action.

any way, it is never too late to start the cracking down....

wonder.... how long this will last....

bravo....

Its just the goverments way of advising you there in talks with the local

constabulary about pay rises and perks when dealing with Falang.Perfectly normal procedure for this time of year with private school fees set to rise.

Not really - little is earned from bar fines. Real money is made through pushing drinks. Hardly a pimp in any form or fashion.

should be 50% drinks and 50% barfines really.

I suspect the news is designed to be news, nothing more.

I a few weeks, there will be another news story - "we have checked all the bars, it is ok now, no prostitution going on".

TOT public relations campaign.

Edited by manarak

should be 50% drinks and 50% barfines really.

I suspect the news is designed to be news, nothing more.

I a few weeks, there will be another news story - "we have checked all the bars, it is ok now, no prostitution going on".

TOT public relations campaign.

TOT is the bloody PHONE COMPANY!!!

How come the majority of posts so far on this thread are from newbies who are obviously not native English speakers?

Bar girls (prostitutes) leaves to have sex with a customer. He is living off the earnings of prostitutes. Thailand has attracted thousands of these good- for- nothing farangs who would be shunned and looked down upon in their own countries. These kind of bars in turn attract the worst sort of sex tourists. All this gives a bad name to other farangs living here.

I really hope they are all deported.

You seem to know a lot about this perverted, disgusting trade for a man with one post to his nae.

I should do. I have lived here long enough to see Pattaya turned from a pleasant seaside resort into

a sex super market.

When was Pattaya a pleasant seaside resort? To the best of my knowledge ever since the Vietnam conflict, which I believe was some 30-40 years ago? When the US 7th fleet started using Pattaya for some R & R the Thai's were responsible for initiating horizontal recreation?

Were you here before that? because that is probably the only period in history that Pattaya was a pleasant seaside resort?

You have lived here for many years and never had a massage (with the happy ending?) or engaged in sexual activity (for free?)

Oh I just love the bit about how easy it is to find Thais. A woman cheated my wife of 800,000thb and ran away and we have been told for over 6 years how 'impossible' it is to track her down. I mentioned I.D. cards, house books etc and was told there was always ways around it.

kuffki

i am just wondering.... just how many places, towns and provinces in the territory of thailand have you personally visited for an extended period of time....?

what puzzles me even more is.... what qualify you to make such a bold but totally inaccurate and misleading statement like

PERSONALLY I DO NOT KNOW WHY WOULD ANY MAN TAKE HIS FAMILY, WIFE AND KIDS FOR HOLIDAY TO THAILAND....

i do not wish to criticise you nor you statement but would really like you to enlighten us with:

1--your length of stay in thailand,

2--the provinces you visited,

3--the ordinary thai families you are friendly with, and

4--your job in thailand.

in 1969, soon after neil armstrong first landed on the moon, and i was blessed with another a.u. degree, i arrived by pan am and kissed the runway in don muang airport which was a dinky one story building then.... and i have been in and out of thailand and the pacificrim ever since....

as far as my experiences go.... thailand remains one of the best choices for any family to visit, not including pattaya and phuket....

i am not saying that thailand is perfect, not at all and far from it.... but thailand still at this time and age.... offers the best value for anyone's money....

if anyone wants to point out the negativities of thailand which is plentiful.... plse be specific and name the locations....

and again thailand offers the best overall value for anyone's money....

and a bunch of us are extremely happy living and spending our euro and usd in thailand.... LOL

no, we are not here just enriching our ourselves and our experiences.... we are also helping other thais to learn and to attempt at a better life, as well....

i feel quite sorry for you not to have good experiences in thailand.... and there must be multitude of complex reasons behind....

i do wish that you would try to change your location, if possible.... perhaps that might make some difference.... who knows?

....Personally i do not know why would any man take his family, wife and kids for holiday to Thailand.

There are so many other places that offer so much more then Thailand in terms of sight seeing, history , culture and activities.

Lol, another 'crackdown' but what will happen when the so called paper trail leads ot a police officer, local government official or some members of the Thai elite class?

It's just too much on a Friday afternoon to contemplate, think I'll slip down to Nana.

Superb comment.

I will slip down to Soi 6.

Ummmm, aren't a lot of these bars owned by a "Thai Limited Company" with a farang and Thai partners? If this crackdown is real, that means more Thais in gaol than farangs deported.

Yeah... just my thoughts... how are they going to prosecute farangs who have a minority share in the land, or business, yet put in 100% of the capital?

How are they going to prove that the bar owners are involved in the sex side of the business?

The whole point in the bar-fine is that the girls do the sex-trade themselves, the bar and owners distance themselves from the illegality.

I guess they can only make bar fines illegal- then the drink prices will go up and there will be entry fees.