Police Crackdown On Foreign Operated Sex Bars

Rimmer

The key word (and absurdity) is "paper trail." Yeah, just make certain all those pay-offs in the form of cancelled checks and any misc. contracts with local thugs are destroyed when the Interpol auditors come around. Oh, and make sure your work permit is on the premises or at least a copy of it is attached to a copy of each "bar fine"...for accounting purposes. Let's make these "businesses" a bit more transparent, if that's possible. What critics of the "system" fail to see is that corruption actually helps the economy. Everyone needs a car and a big screen on every floor with iPhones for the kids. The "Thai Dream" is no different from the "American Dream." We're all in this global village together. Let's not lump the gravy. Stay tuned for the next episode of "As the Earth Warms."

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These kind of bars in turn attract the worst sort of sex tourists.

At the risk of coming to the defense of sex tourists ...but if these bars attract the worst sort of sex tourists, where do the "good sex tourists" go for their daily sex? Tesco Lotus?

..perhaps the dichotomy between "good and bad" sex tourists goes something like this.. ( music please.. from the "Good the Bad and the Ugly")

"good" sex tourists: treat the girls with empathy and they actually care about their welfare, thus they often end up helping them in various and sundry ways, often in terms of time vs. strictly money donations ( eg. helping them to move, do a resume, fix something at their home or apartment, help on the land..things a REAL FRIEND does) and be-friending them, without the necessary reciprocation of a "piece of tail" as collateral..in other words.. treating them as bona - fide human beings worthy of respect as any other person.

"bad" sex tourists: getting their daily "fix", and often slagging them later in various and sundry derogatory ways in the bar with their cohorts.. as they guffaw and exchange their stories of exaggerated debauchery, from A to Z..treating them as pieces of meat as compared to what they should be treated as..people GENERALLY and MOSTLY worthy of respect, no better than you and I in most cases.

prologue: if there were more "good" sex tourists ( if there even is such a thing), then the ENDLESS ribald stories on TV of farang getting "taken" to the cleaners would be much reduced me thinks, as many of the bg's that want to " get back" at the farang would be severley lessened and curtailed, and they would not become " jaded " in the numbers that they are.. as a result of years of interactions with the scummm bagssss

signed: they are people too

And the result? Just an opportune time to raise the price of bribes and more freebies to the local brown shirts. How stupid and transparently idiotic this claim is.

Where does the money come from and where does it go? Are you for real? Get a life Thailand - stop the prudish BS. So may straight so called 'businessmen' and even office workers, have Giks, Meanoi's, you also all pay and are paid for 'favours' and anyone who lives in Pattaya and runs a bar have been paying off constantly, ongoing and continuing!

If this was such an issue legalise the sex trade - don't think we are all so naive as to not realise the huge underground cash economy generated by the 'trade'. At least then there would be some form of protection for the girls and boys involved and take away the abusive side of the business. It would also allow some form of reporting to the Revenue Dept and obtain taxes.

Drop the stupid statements, do something 'real' to address the issue and find a way to clean up your act. :)

very surpised.... that some officials finally decide to take some action.

any way, it is never too late to start the cracking down....

wonder.... how long this will last....

bravo....

While I can appreciate your view - words are only words especially in LOS (Laws Only Suggestions) Time will tell. I suspect when the rich/powerful add to their coffer everything will be as usual i.e. me me me me me me me

cheers,

K

and again thailand offers the best overall value for anyone's money....

Not really.

According to a yearly survey which I read last week, Thailand is not even close to the first them countries which offers the best overall value for anyone's money....

In fact, not one Asian country is in the top 10 of touristic countries.

and a bunch of us are extremely happy living and spending our euro and usd in thailand.... LOL

While that may be true for a few of the expats in Thailand, the biggest bunch of expats came to Thailand to visit Pattaya, Bangkok or Phuket and found there their little "Issaan gem" to marry with.

The biggest bunch of them, can not live 6 month without visiting a bar or massage shop with a "happy landing"

no, we are not here just enriching our ourselves and our experiences.... we are also helping other thais to learn and to attempt at a better life, as well....

As long as there will be no affordable Healthcare, no retirement insurance, no family care for the members who have no work or are to lousy to earn a living and the wages remains at a level where the Thais (and many SE Asian countries) needs to send their duaghters and sons to make money with the sex trade, nothing will change in Thailand or many SE Asian countries.

If you really believe that the few foreigners in Thailand are helping the Thais to learn and attempt at a better life, you ARE fooling yourself.

Thais and SE Asians are addicted to drugs, gambling and sex and their whole life turns around these 3 things.

Nobody can change that without changing the whole system to start at the very top (IYKWIM).

i feel quite sorry for you not to have good experiences in thailand.... and there must be multitude of complex reasons behind....

i do wish that you would try to change your location, if possible.... perhaps that might make some difference.... who knows?

More than a decade ago, when I first came to Thailand, as soon as anybody went out of places like Pattaya/Phuket/Bangkok/etc., Thailand seemed to be the most beautiful country to explore.

Nowadays, you can find more bars, coyote bars, Karaoke bars, and sex trade to foreigners than in Pattaya.

And most of these "places of sin" are not even visited by a Westerner as you can read a big sign at their door: "ONLY FOR JAPANESE".

Don't fool yourself.

As long as the police in this country and other SE Asian countries will be as corrupt as hel_l, nothing will change ......

"Bar fines" are pimping fees, nothing less. These fees go to the bar owner for every time one of his

Bar girls (prostitutes) leaves to have sex with a customer. He is living off the earnings of prostitutes. Thailand has attracted thousands of these good- for- nothing farangs who would be shunned and looked down upon in their own countries. These kind of bars in turn attract the worst sort of sex tourists. All this gives a bad name to other farangs living here.

I really hope they are all deported.

You seem to know a lot about this perverted, disgusting trade for a man with one post to his nae.

I should do. I have lived here long enough to see Pattaya turned from a pleasant seaside resort into

a sex super market.

I first came to Pattaya 30 years ago and it was a sex super market then,so I don't know how long ago you came.

"Bar fines" are pimping fees, nothing less. These fees go to the bar owner for every time one of his

Bar girls (prostitutes) leaves to have sex with a customer. He is living off the earnings of prostitutes. Thailand has attracted thousands of these good- for- nothing farangs who would be shunned and looked down upon in their own countries. These kind of bars in turn attract the worst sort of sex tourists. All this gives a bad name to other farangs living here.

I really hope they are all deported.

You seem to know a lot about this perverted, disgusting trade for a man with one post to his nae.

I should do. I have lived here long enough to see Pattaya turned from a pleasant seaside resort into

a sex super market.

That would have to be pre-vietnam war????????

you are right. But after the war Pattaya was OK again for a while until all the tourists came.

These kind of bars in turn attract the worst sort of sex tourists.

At the risk of coming to the defense of sex tourists ...but if these bars attract the worst sort of sex tourists, where do the "good sex tourists" go for their daily sex? Tesco Lotus?

..perhaps the dichotomy between "good and bad" sex tourists goes something like this.. ( music please.. from the "Good the Bad and the Ugly")

"good" sex tourists: treat the girls with empathy and they actually care about their welfare, thus they often end up helping them in various and sundry ways, often in terms of time vs. strictly money donations ( eg. helping them to move, do a resume, fix something at their home or apartment, help on the land..things a REAL FRIEND does) and be-friending them, without the necessary reciprocation of a "piece of tail" as collateral..in other words.. treating them as bona - fide human beings worthy of respect as any other person.

"bad" sex tourists: getting their daily "fix", and often slagging them later in various and sundry derogatory ways in the bar with their cohorts.. as they guffaw and exchange their stories of exaggerated debauchery, from A to Z..treating them as pieces of meat as compared to what they should be treated as..people GENERALLY and MOSTLY worthy of respect, no better than you and I in most cases.

prologue: if there were more "good" sex tourists ( if there even is such a thing), then the ENDLESS ribald stories on TV of farang getting "taken" to the cleaners would be much reduced me thinks, as many of the bg's that want to " get back" at the farang would be severley lessened and curtailed, and they would not become " jaded " in the numbers that they are.. as a result of years of interactions with the scummm bagssss

signed: they are people too

Well said - whilst in my travels I have always found both the ensconced hard core worker and the fresh face kids at all times, they have been friendly and I have always treated them with respect. I do not denigrate their profession and interviewed more than 200 for a book I wrote in 2002. But when I hear so many of the 'boasts' of the low life Farang it is almost embarrassing to the referred to as 'one of them'. And the majority seem to be in Pattaya!

I came back yesterday from my visa run from/to "Club Andaman" (Ranong <-> Burma).

The officer on the arrival counter from the Immigration of the "Club Andaman Pier" gave me back my arrival card and I had to notice my phone no. on it (the others too) - last time they only asked me, if I would run a business.

It seems like they now really want to know how can contact you, what may be is part of this crack down action.

Bagsida

i bet Drew Noyes is laughing his &lt;deleted&gt; off about this thread and the number of people who have responded to it seriously

in another world he would be arrested and sued for writing such reactionary drivel

the whole article is pure fiction driven to sell newspapers and steer people to his legal services

i cannot believe so many people have taken it seriously given his track record for self promotion

has anyone read his 'CV' on his PAPPA website?

it reads like war and peace but its a classic in a very different way

this made me laugh:

• Publisher of Pattaya Times newspaper, the largest English newspaper in Pattaya and the third largest English newspaper in Thailand

that would be the largest in the size of the actual newspaper only and nothing to do with circulation as it is trying to imply

I have to agree with Timekeeper. This is semi-clever marketing very similar to what I find in my spam filter. Now the resident expert by default Mr. Noyes has developed a following of sorts because of the salacious subject matter. Why don't we all just wait until next month and see if this latest report of a "crackdown" comes to pass.

Sometimes these announcements are actually justification to seize a few of the bad seeds in the businesses. The fact is the authorities may be targeting certain non-Thai bars where the common denominator is race alone. Be patient. We will see. Even the dumbest of Thais do not wake up in the morning and proceed to kill the golden goose.

Here we go again...

...some wannabee HiSo Thai cop in Bangkok who isn't getting his cut of the money paid by the bars has decided to be a dog in the manger until someone gives him his due. Yawn. Same, same every 6 months.

I wouldn't take it so lightly.  The market is down and with the way most Thia's run their operation it is easy for a Foreigner who understands marketing and customer care, "No pun Intended" to annihilate Thai business owners.   If you understand that most real Thai operations are stagnant against a well operated managed farang business.   I know of one particular bar owned solely by a Thai man and it is dead every night and you couldn't shove this bar any further up the ass of traffic if you wanted too.    I would love to have this bar.  It is in a location that even in the dead should be showing a profit.  

He does nothing... to attack business.  The bar behind it without any view from the main street is very busy every night, the one beside it is very busy . Imagine if they shut down all the farang bars around him...  I do know he has it for sale now, unless he has heard about the crack down he may keep it, but like most THai's unless you know him it you will never hear about it because he won't put a sign up.   BY the way he wants  4mill for it. 

I would take this very serious.  Everyone I talk to is starving and has their business up for sale.  In Pattaya you see all the Developers marking down they're condos to almost nothing and adding five year financing....with out interest.   That is a very good indicator where we are going.   

With this in play, only means we will go down that road even further.  They are wanting to take back any section of business where they're losing.  It started with Real Estate in Phuket where they started actually taking homes from wealthy expats with homes in business names and fake share holders to becoming a national order after seeing how profitable and easy it was in Phuket, now they are going to the bars, soon it i will be franchises.  There are other events if they come to "life or death" will cause the market to tank and the baht to rise to 50/55.   Wait and see.  If I were a bar owner I would get out period because in addition to the locals wanting back what they let you think you owned.... you are becoming a short range target for the "who ever" in which they have been taught by America feminist groups and any other special interest group the understanding that men can be controlled by the thing that drives them.  America is a perfect example of freedom not with a high ceiling but a bottom less floor.  And if you saw the documentaries that these special interest groups run on Thailand in America... now they are running them here and they always show a man to be the culprit.  These ads are effective.....so You guys need to take it serious.  Because enforcing those international and American standards won't get you sympathy but it will get the international community to praise the Thai government for cracking down on mens play ground.   However you won't hear anything about the hidden agenda behind it.   Because we all know they won't crack down on anything that is really feeding them. JUST CLICK ON THE PICTURE you see what they want to do to you

Edited by Rooo
Removed attachement.Rooo.

It is suspected that many of these rendezvous are sexually related, police said

Just suspected?? :):D

Well, the police claim that they can't prove that sexual activity takes place unless they actually break the door down and find the customer in the saddle. That came up when they passed the current anti-prostitution law back in 1996. Oh, yeah, they can get you for illicit sex if the girl files a complaint. They got a senator for diddling underage girls that way. :D

Quote:

"Police Crackdown On Foreign Operated Sex Bars

PATTAYA: -- Informed sources from several police divisions have told the Pattaya Times that a very serious crackdown will begin next month to catch foreign business people who are financial backers of gay bars, beer bars and a go-gos where there is sex for sale in Pattaya.

……."

So far it looks like the entire other local media is still left in the dark by their sources. :)

kuffki

i am just wondering.... just how many places, towns and provinces in the territory of thailand have you personally visited for an extended period of time....?

what puzzles me even more is.... what qualify you to make such a bold but totally inaccurate and misleading statement like

PERSONALLY I DO NOT KNOW WHY WOULD ANY MAN TAKE HIS FAMILY, WIFE AND KIDS FOR HOLIDAY TO THAILAND....

i do not wish to criticise you nor you statement but would really like you to enlighten us with:

1--your length of stay in thailand,

2--the provinces you visited,

3--the ordinary thai families you are friendly with, and

4--your job in thailand.

in 1969, soon after neil armstrong first landed on the moon, and i was blessed with another a.u. degree, i arrived by pan am and kissed the runway in don muang airport which was a dinky one story building then.... and i have been in and out of thailand and the pacificrim ever since....

as far as my experiences go.... thailand remains one of the best choices for any family to visit, not including pattaya and phuket....

i am not saying that thailand is perfect, not at all and far from it.... but thailand still at this time and age.... offers the best value for anyone's money....

if anyone wants to point out the negativities of thailand which is plentiful.... plse be specific and name the locations....

and again thailand offers the best overall value for anyone's money....

and a bunch of us are extremely happy living and spending our euro and usd in thailand.... LOL

no, we are not here just enriching our ourselves and our experiences.... we are also helping other thais to learn and to attempt at a better life, as well....

i feel quite sorry for you not to have good experiences in thailand.... and there must be multitude of complex reasons behind....

i do wish that you would try to change your location, if possible.... perhaps that might make some difference.... who knows?

....Personally i do not know why would any man take his family, wife and kids for holiday to Thailand.

There are so many other places that offer so much more then Thailand in terms of sight seeing, history , culture and activities.

Coalminer answered your post better then i ever could!

Your humanitarianism is great and i am glad to hear you found a place that you enjoy.

But just to put your mind at rest

I have been living in Thailand for over 6 years and have traveled all over the place.

I do not know what is "ordinary thai family" in your opinion.

my job really has no affect on my opinions or post, but i do have one and am not retired.

I thank you for your advice on my life and what i should and should not be doing or living.

I already have a father and mother and clearly do not need another one to educate me.

As i stated in my opinion, if it is different in yours-that is your choice.

Might be an idea to look into stats and see the ratio of family's to single tourists visiting Thailand prior to starting to preach.

Just to add to the subject, please enlighten me on sort of activities offered to kids in Thailand?

While you at it, could you also point to some deep and meaningful historic sites that people can visit, and while you at it, how about naming 1 place where one can visit to say listen to world known orchestra or gallery

LOL

May be you do not live here or get to meet too many people, but i think there are only a handfull of bars that are 100% Thai owned

But i am talking about bigger, busy bars not a bungalow shack with few chairs.

From what i know there most on Walking Street are foreign owned or backed, including some of the biggest clubs.

Right now i can only think of Happy GoGo and Worldwide Gogo being Thai Owned.]

You obviously dont know a lot then

Seconded. That's barking.
Yes you absolutely and entirely correct!

dam_n, why do not i have friends like you that know it all?? why why?!you must be one of the 25 year expats who retired on wealth you made back home?

how about if i name at least 10 gogo owners by their first name, would that satisfy you? or would you prefer to see business registrations?

Are you actually aware that at least 6 bars on Walking Street are owned by the same person? and another 5 by a group of foreigners?

Not to mention a large number of bars owned by a Thai (wife) but backed by a foreigner husband or boyfiriend or owned by a company which is backed by a foreigner!

May i suggest you get out little more often and rather then drinking just read the names on the licenses, yes i know they in Thai, so some Thai lessons would surely help.

Lets be realistic, take away the bar scene and what would Pattaya be? What has Pattaya always been?

Who buys and rents all the condo's? and how many family's do you see around Pattata?

Pattaya is a single men town which was created just for that and always served just for that. Take that away and what would you be left with?

There are are thousands of not millions of men who save entire year to come to Pattaya for one reason and one reason only. Take away that reason from them and see how many will come.

Its all good and well to be a saint and preach the "good" but sometimes its very useful to wake up and see the reality of things and see things for what they actually are with open eyes rather then through shaded sunglasses

Correct, but you are sorely mistaken if you believe Happy is Thai Owned.

Well, the police claim that they can't prove that sexual activity takes place unless they actually break the door down and find the customer in the saddle. That came up when they passed the current anti-prostitution law back in 1996. Oh, yeah, they can get you for illicit sex if the girl files a complaint. They got a senator for diddling underage girls that way. :)

They have no problems doing that, barging in rooms!

Few years ago they shut down several places in soi 6, after barging into upstairs rooms, with the hapless customer, just a towel round his waist and 5 people sticking their finger at him, having his picture in several local newspaper and on the telly!

dam_n, why do not i have friends like you that know it all?? why why?!you must be one of the 25 year expats who retired on wealth you made back home?

how about if i name at least 10 gogo owners by their first name, would that satisfy you? or would you prefer to see business registrations?

Are you actually aware that at least 6 bars on Walking Street are owned by the same person? and another 5 by a group of foreigners?

Not to mention a large number of bars owned by a Thai (wife) but backed by a foreigner husband or boyfiriend or owned by a company which is backed by a foreigner!

May i suggest you get out little more often and rather then drinking just read the names on the licenses, yes i know they in Thai, so some Thai lessons would surely help.

Lets be realistic, take away the bar scene and what would Pattaya be? What has Pattaya always been?

Who buys and rents all the condo's? and how many family's do you see around Pattata?

Pattaya is a single men town which was created just for that and always served just for that. Take that away and what would you be left with?

There are are thousands of not millions of men who save entire year to come to Pattaya for one reason and one reason only. Take away that reason from them and see how many will come.

Its all good and well to be a saint and preach the "good" but sometimes its very useful to wake up and see the reality of things and see things for what they actually are with open eyes rather then through shaded sunglasses

Are you not contradicting yourself now?

First you were claiming that most bars are Thai owned and now you stating that the biggest and busiest bar on Walking street foreign owned

" Farangs get deported and Thais get arrested" So in another way they say, that prostitution is illegal. What about all the Ladies (and boys), do they have to make their service for free now? It takes them decades to suspect that there is prostitution involved in bars? I guess they have to build a very big prison outside of town, to arrest all the peaple who are conected with prostitution. I think the town will be emty after that. I think Pattaya will be a gosttown after 6 months. Did they forgot why the majority of peaple comes to Pattaya? Did they forgot why Pattaya have so high Landprices and 7 Shopping centers, in such a small town? Did they forgot why have so many nice houses in Isaan? Who gonna pay all the money back to the bank for all those ugly Cement shophouses, left and rightside, built in each dogsoi? Ha ha ha

Edited by stingray

It started with Real Estate in Phuket where they started actually taking homes from wealthy expats with homes in business names and fake share holders to becoming a national order after seeing how profitable and easy it was in Phuket, now they are going to the bars, soon it i will be franchises.

Where and when in Phuket did the Thai Govt take real estate that was properly owned by farang

Are you not contradicting yourself now?

First you were claiming that most bars are Thai owned and now you stating that the biggest and busiest bar on Walking street foreign owned

Sorry I've never stated that, only that Happy is not Thai owned as you said.

Edited by myfriendyou

Are you suggesting that the names, written in Thai language on the licenses,are those of foreigners?

Are you suggesting that the names, written in Thai language on the licenses,are those of foreigners?

large number of them-yes. Not sure what the license is for, but "foreigner" names

Every bar has 3-9 licenses hanging on the wall

Edited by kuffki