Is There A Peruvian Restaurant In Bangkok?

Meridian007

With JT's thread on food, and my recent reading about Harcourt's younger days when he would make a citrus-pickled seafood dish, I've been thinking about ceviche, and other South American food.

Has anyone seen any South American restaurants in Bangkok? That is another type of food I miss from the west, and with the recent Mexican food craze in BKK, I think someone should try something even more southern!

Mmmm, shrimp ceviche would be sooo good right now!

Senor Pico's is a great place, but unfortunately the menu is 100% Mexican, so that's not going to help the OP. Don't know of any Peruvian ones but there's Fogo Vigo Churrascaria Bar and Grill which is a Brazillian style steakhouse. It's in the Chitlom area.

Senor Pico's is a great place, but unfortunately the menu is 100% Mexican, so that's not going to help the OP. Don't know of any Peruvian ones but there's Fogo Vigo Churrascaria Bar and Grill which is a Brazillian style steakhouse. It's in the Chitlom area.

FOGO VIVO closed quite some time ago - more than a year, at least.

There's a good little Columbian/ Latino restaurant just off Sathon Soi 1, called La Cuchara. Its just past the Ibis hotel, down a back street. Good rustic Columbian food. I think they may have had a Chevice on the menu, but if not it's still well worth a visit. Just don't go in a large group, the place is tiny, its a bit like eating in someones front room and like most non thai food places here in BKK they have difficulty when it comes to tables over 4!

I've had a good Escabeche here somewhere (Escabeche/ Chevice. same, same!), just can't remember where. May have been Tapas Cafe?

Really? That's a shame, I was planning on going back there sometime soon. Oh well... :)

Edited by Rumblecat

Really? That's a shame, I was planning on going back there sometime soon. Oh well... :)

No worries. You can go to the hot restaurant city Pattaya now for Brazilian Churrascaria at Zicos.

http://www.pattayamail.com/840/dining.shtml

Thanks for the heads up on La Cuchara!

One thing worries me though, but I'm hoping that the writer made a mistake:

The Cerviche is a delicious spicy prawn and tomato salad steamed with fresh coriander leaves, served in a banana leaf with a cup of spicy tomato salsa

I also just read on Wikipedia that it is customary in some restaurants to cook the shellfish to lower the preparation time, but that just wouldn't be the same! I was taught to let the seafood marinate for a few hours, but you can see that it starts "cooking" the shrimp almost immediately. I took this pic just a few minutes after putting the ingredients together:

qwxxdl.jpg

Regardless, I'm still looking forward to checking out La Cuchara, S. American food is something I've been missing for too long!

Edited by Meridian007