Importing One's Own Bike

Bluetongue

Hi

Can anybody give a brief description of proceses involved in importing your bike (second hand Ducati) from Australia, including a ballpark figure on the taxes, duties etc one might expect to pay here and would it be easier if I did it in the missus name. For a variety of reasons this is becoming a more attractive option to me now. I'm sorry if this item has been covered before I'm sure it has, I've just spent an hour looking through old pages, at my internet speed, thats enough.

Thai name makes little difference.. Some perhaps because Thais get better pricing but theres no free rides.

Reg costs have recently dropped.. I can get the reg (emissions and book) after import duties to 75k now.. Taxes ballpark 100 - 125.. Its cheaper to have the bike broken down and shipped in as parts. But the differences are getting smaller now they insist on the excise taxes to be paid on parts bikes too.

Ballpark with no other info 200k.. Maybe 50k either side depending on who handles it and the machine it is.

As a side note. all this is IF you can actually get it out of the customs warehouse at the port. Thailand is well known for its over zealous customs people wanting kickbacks.

Be aware. i would say sell the Ducati in Australia and buy something else here.

Take the advice which you will read time and time again.

DO NOT IMPORT THE BIKE HERE. YOU WILL LOSE IT, LOSE INTEREST OR SPEND A FORTUNE TRYING TO GET IT, AND MAY FIND THAT IT IS MISSING SOME PIECES WHEN YOU FINALLY DO GET YOUR HANDS ON IT,...... IN SIX TO TEN MONTHS!!!

Sell the bike there, and find one or something similar here.

DO NOT IMPORT THE BIKE HERE. YOU WILL LOSE IT, LOSE INTEREST OR SPEND A FORTUNE TRYING TO GET IT, AND MAY FIND THAT IT IS MISSING SOME PIECES WHEN YOU FINALLY DO GET YOUR HANDS ON IT,...... IN SIX TO TEN MONTHS!!!

While I would agree with that for cars, if you recognise that it isnt going to be cheap, and are prepared to pay, importing and registering isnt THAT hard.. Get a good agent and have it done and just pay the money..

• 1 month later...

While I would agree with that for cars, if you recognise that it isnt going to be cheap, and are prepared to pay, importing and registering isnt THAT hard.. Get a good agent and have it done and just pay the money..

anyone have the name of a good agent, I am thinking of trying to import my two and a half year old 800cc Suzuki Intruder from the UK

Brian

anyone have the name of a good agent, I am thinking of trying to import my two and a half year old 800cc Suzuki Intruder from the UK

Brian

Looks like LivinLOS is either an agent or knows of one? But while my experience is not vast I would tend to agree with his opinion that you can get a bike in and booked as long as you understand going in that it is going to be expensive and may not move as quick as you would like. The problem with selling in your home country and buying out here are #1 you will lose a known quantity and if you buy out here you are never 100% of what your getting unless you go to a dealer. #2 If you go to a dealer and pay the price they are asking it will usually be much much more then the same bike is worth in your home country.

http://flyinpiston.blogspot.com/

Brian

Looks like LivinLOS is either an agent or knows of one? But while my experience is not vast I would tend to agree with his opinion that you can get a bike in and booked as long as you understand going in that it is going to be expensive and may not move as quick as you would like. The problem with selling in your home country and buying out here are #1 you will lose a known quantity and if you buy out here you are never 100% of what your getting unless you go to a dealer. #2 If you go to a dealer and pay the price they are asking it will usually be much much more then the same bike is worth in your home country.

http://flyinpiston.blogspot.com/

yes when I checked the prices here in Thailand to purchase a new Intruder, it is more than double the price that I paid in the UK. So I recon if it cost me 200,000 to 300,000 to fetch my bike in legal then I am still a little ahead on costs, plus I know what I have got, mine only has 600 k on the clock.

Brian