What No Rugby Forum!

some good matches this weekend

Sat - 27th Nov

14:00 International Italy vs Fiji

14:30 International Scotland vs Samoa

14:30 International England vs South Africa17:15 International Wales vs New Zealand

19:45 International France vs Australia

Sun - 28th Nov

14:30 International Ireland vs Argentina

and SA stay behind for one more match the weekend after,

Sat - 4th Dec

14:30 International Barbarians vs South Africa

not a betting man . . . some difficult ones there. If Fiji can match their performance v Wales they will run Italy close, though scrums will be a problem area.

Scotland - who knows - will it be a AB or SA effort?

Hard to see SA winning though again a close one

Wales - well they will need a big improvement to keep within 20 points

France - could win this one 'up front'

Ireland - Arg. i have no idea at all.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some good matches this weekend

Sat - 27th Nov

14:00 International Italy vs Fiji

14:30 International Scotland vs Samoa

14:30 International England vs South Africa17:15 International Wales vs New Zealand

19:45 International France vs Australia

not a betting man . . . some difficult ones there. If Fiji can match their performance v Wales they will run Italy close, though scrums will be a problem area.

Scotland - who knows - will it be a AB or SA effort?

Hard to see SA winning though again a close one

Wales - well they will need a big improvement to keep within 20 points

France - could win this one 'up front'

Ireland - Arg. i have no idea at all.

I don't think the difference in the Scotland performances was down to difference in effort - it was down to differences in strategy.

Against the All Blacks, they adopted a fairly quick, wide approach that didn't suit their abilities; maybe because they didn't expect to win the game, and so went for a strategy that maximised their learning opportunities...

Then the next week they adopted a strategy that suited the conditions and let them grind out a win against higher-ranked opposition

I was disappointed with the score line against NZ, but not the game or the result...

Ireland should see off the Argentinians, unless the ref is exceptionally lenient... Fiji v Italy should be very entertaining,

England v S.Africa is live on Astro, with the other games shown on Sunday starting 10 am (Thai)

SC

predictions for this weekend

Sat - 27th Nov

Italy vs Fiji - cant see the Fijians winning this even thou they drew against Wales last week. Italy by 10

Scotland vs Samoa- Im hoping the Scots will chance their arm and try to play the more expansive game, the Samoans will probably prefer that style also, Scots by 12

England vs South Africa- interesting game this one, English on the up, and Boks going down. Should be a clash up front. England by 7

Wales vs New Zealand- Wales to face an All Black side in high gear now. Most of the rustiness in the earlier games a few weeks ago have gone and I can see this game ending as a rout. ABs by 30

France vs Australia, dont write off the Aussies just yet. Look for Cooper to be the general, directing play again. Defence should be better. Aussies by 5

Sun - 28th Nov

Ireland vs Argentina- Should be a close one. Ireland by 3.

I'm lookung for somewhere to watch wales v NZ are you sure it will be shown on astro? I obny get supersport 2.

I don't think Wales will win this, though I don't even think there will be a 20 point spread. Gattlan messed up against fiji with too many changes. Otherwise we were going along nicely, and could definayely have beaten SA. Scotland should win, also SA ( I can't see England keeping the performances up....good luck to them though) I think fiji will beat Italy as I have seen nothing from italy yet. France v aussies is difficult, i want the aussies to win but don't know.

Not impressed with the S hemisphere sides this year; apart from NZ. If England play well they could beat SA, but that's the consistency. Ireland have played well as I believe have Wales ( take the fiji match away, with all those changes) and scotland did brilliantly to win. Chins up for the world cup I think we could all do well, especially as we know NZ will crack again.

I'm lookung for somewhere to watch wales v NZ are you sure it will be shown on astro? I obny get supersport 2.

I don't think Wales will win this, though I don't even think there will be a 20 point spread. Gattlan messed up against fiji with too many changes. Otherwise we were going along nicely, and could definayely have beaten SA. Scotland should win, also SA ( I can't see England keeping the performances up....good luck to them though) I think fiji will beat Italy as I have seen nothing from italy yet. France v aussies is difficult, i want the aussies to win but don't know.

Not impressed with the S hemisphere sides this year; apart from NZ. If England play well they could beat SA, but that's the consistency. Ireland have played well as I believe have Wales ( take the fiji match away, with all those changes) and scotland did brilliantly to win. Chins up for the world cup I think we could all do well, especially as we know NZ will crack again.

According to their on-line schedule, and Contrary to what I posted earlier, the game is live on live on Astro Supersport 3 at 0030 Sunday morning, Thai time.

http://www.astro.com.my/epg/guide.php

If I was you I would watch it from underneath the covers...I think I'll be watching it with the TV turned off...

However, we need to be a little cautious with their on-line schedule, since it is claiming to show Ireland Samoa at 0830 (Malaysian) on Sunday... not live, to be sure!...then slightly later, Ireland Argentina (more likely) at the same time as Scotland Samoa, and then France - Australia, Italy - Fiji, Wales - NZ, Ireland - Argentina (again!) - I expect the 0830 game will be the England game, but that is mere speculation. Its also being shown live on Saturday night on Astro Supersport at 10.30pm Malaysian (2130 Thai)

SC

According to their on-line schedule, and Contrary to what I posted earlier, the game is live on live on Astro Supersport 3 at 0030 Sunday morning, Thai time.

http://www.astro.com.my/epg/guide.php

If I was you I would watch it from underneath the covers...I think I'll be watching it with the TV turned off...

However, we need to be a little cautious with their on-line schedule, since it is claiming to show Ireland Samoa at 0830 (Malaysian) on Sunday... not live, to be sure!...then slightly later, Ireland Argentina (more likely) at the same time as Scotland Samoa, and then France - Australia, Italy - Fiji, Wales - NZ, Ireland - Argentina (again!) - I expect the 0830 game will be the England game, but that is mere speculation. Its also being shown live on Saturday night on Astro Supersport at 10.30pm Malaysian (2130 Thai)

SC

It looks like I'll have to hope for it on sunday morning as I don't get supersport 3 only 2. So it's fingers crossed for kore than one thing now

Cheers

Neil

predictions for this weekend

Sat - 27th Nov

Italy vs Fiji - cant see the Fijians winning this even thou they drew against Wales last week. Italy by 10

Scotland vs Samoa- Im hoping the Scots will chance their arm and try to play the more expansive game, the Samoans will probably prefer that style also, Scots by 12

England vs South Africa- interesting game this one, English on the up, and Boks going down. Should be a clash up front. England by 7

Wales vs New Zealand- Wales to face an All Black side in high gear now. Most of the rustiness in the earlier games a few weeks ago have gone and I can see this game ending as a rout. ABs by 30

France vs Australia, dont write off the Aussies just yet. Look for Cooper to be the general, directing play again. Defence should be better. Aussies by 5

Sun - 28th Nov

Ireland vs Argentina- Should be a close one. Ireland by 3.

samoa by 8 points

england by 11 points

all blacks by 17 points

france by 4 points

ireland by 15 points

sorry its quick and to the point, but got a lot on this weekend.

cheers tigerfish

Results so far,

England 11 - Boks 21, didnt see the game but the English still have some homework to do.

Italy 24 - Fiji 16

Scotland 19 - Samoa 16

Wales 25 - NZ 37 Wont go down as the most impressive AB performance as they infringed too often, with Carter missing many kicking opportunities as well. Still they scored 5 tries to 1, a couple from counter attack. Another Grand Slam completed to finish off a great AB year.

Ireland 29 - Argies 9

so now that we're less than 12 months out from the RWC, and that most of the top teams have played each other, how do you think they would go?

Im not totally convinced that the ABs can do it (well, not as easy as some of my mates think), as they were patchy against a determined Welsh team, whom put up a good effort. Add to the mix if a few key players are out with injury, esp Carter, we could be in trouble. But in saying all that, where do the rest of the teams sit? A good effort from the Wallabies,Boks and Irish make it interesting, but they all need some winning consistency, something at least the ABs have.

They have set a higher benchmark this season imo, playing a faster paced open style game. But will it be the style that will win the RWC? Sure, it will be ok to play that expansive style against teams like Namibia, Romania,or Scotland :D, but against top tier teams in a pressure cooker RWC final remains to be seen.

And there are other variables to add into the mix, like the weather during sept/oct.

your thoughts?

Edited by Donnyboy

There's a long way to go till the world cup next season...

Scotland couldn't have a better draw but a lot could happen in the course of the Six Nations... we were not convincing against Samoa, and they might have found more holes in the defence on a wider pitch...

SC

Cant judge too much on the performance against Wales....the end of a long long season.

Refereeing will play a huge part in the WC. I hope there can be some consistency between Northern and Southern referees before then. The refereeing in the All Blacks game was substandard at best and <deleted> is going on with the scrummaging interpretations is anyones guess.

SBW is a flash in the pan. By WC time every team in the world will have figured out how to counter the offload so there will need to be a big improvement in all aspects of his game to displace Nonu (IMO)

But, like everyone says...it will come down to whether they can conquer the weight of expectation at home and the mental aspect of the game to see whether they can get home come finals time. I hope that McCaw is the key to the world cup and his leadership can get them there. The best AB's captain sine Fitzpatrick and its usually sides with strong leadership that triumph on the day.........

Cant judge too much on the performance against Wales....the end of a long long season.

Refereeing will play a huge part in the WC. I hope there can be some consistency between Northern and Southern referees before then. The refereeing in the All Blacks game was substandard at best and <deleted> is going on with the scrummaging interpretations is anyones guess.

SBW is a flash in the pan. By WC time every team in the world will have figured out how to counter the offload so there will need to be a big improvement in all aspects of his game to displace Nonu (IMO)

But, like everyone says...it will come down to whether they can conquer the weight of expectation at home and the mental aspect of the game to see whether they can get home come finals time. I hope that McCaw is the key to the world cup and his leadership can get them there. The best AB's captain sine Fitzpatrick and its usually sides with strong leadership that triumph on the day.........

I should have added that the ABs performance against England & Ireland wasnt all that convincing as well, let alone the loss in HK to the Wallabies, in a 20 min spell where they loss their head.

I totally agree that the refs could play a part. One bad call could decide who wins. I can only guess whats happening in the scrum at the best of times also.

Im not sure SBW is the flash in the pan you think he is. From what a saw last year playing in the barbarians game to this years tour, is nothing short of remarkable. Most notably his timing in his run and his ability to stay up and look for the support player in his offloads. From what ive seen,he doesnt offload a ball where its 50/50. Only way to counter that is to gang tackle him imo, and that will lead to an overlap. By the time RWC has come around he should be a seasoned player, with more time with Robbie Fruen, whom I think will be included in the 2011 RWC squad. He such a great center, and with SBW offloading, they would be a devastating midfield combo. Nonu will probably be rotated with SBW. Conrad Smith has improved imo so a dilemma on the selection process for midfield.

• 1 month later...

Yes all well said. As a Wallabies supporter I'm a bit torn this year, because like many rugby fans, I'd really like to see the ABs win on home turf, as it's been a long time coming. But I see their key player still as Dan Carter. He is to my mind the best player in the world, and if he doesn't make the crucial games through injury or whatever, I'm not convinced that Ritchie will galvanise the rest into action as some people think.

Still,as my profession is to sort out people's psychological problems, if the AB's lose, I'm over there on the first plane , as I'll have a job forever.

<deleted> !

as a life long wasps supporter i think this is just a step to far !

i can remember as a young lad being taken to see my very first game not far from the family home of harrow to see wasps play against bath at their then home tucked away in the quiet backstreet suburbs of Sudbury.

then the age of professionalism kicked and they then relocated to Loftus rd the home of Q. P. R. and finally settled out in high Wycombe at Adams park.

and now this...............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/my_club/london_wasps/9273185.stm

Edited by tigerfish

<deleted> !

as a life long wasps supporter i think this is just a step to far !

i can remember as a young lad being taken to see my very first game not far from the family home of harrow to see wasps play against bath at their then home tucked away in the quiet backstreet suburbs of Sudbury.

then the age of professionalism kicked and they then relocated to Loftus rd the home of Q. P. R. and finally settled out in high Wycombe at Adams park.

and now this...............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/my_club/london_wasps/9273185.stm

just like to further add to my rant by saying. is it not enough already that supporters have to fork out not only higher and higher amounts of cash each year to see their sides play. but also in the case of such fans who follow wasps they have already had to pay more money to watch them on the opening day of the season at Twickers and recently at Wembley when they played Sarries over the festive period.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes all well said. As a Wallabies supporter I'm a bit torn this year, because like many rugby fans, I'd really like to see the ABs win on home turf, as it's been a long time coming. But I see their key player still as Dan Carter. He is to my mind the best player in the world, and if he doesn't make the crucial games through injury or whatever, I'm not convinced that Ritchie will galvanise the rest into action as some people think.

Still,as my profession is to sort out people's psychological problems, if the AB's lose, I'm over there on the first plane , as I'll have a job forever.

agreed, Carter is crucial to winning RWC 2011, most finals are usually close affairs with penalties landed the difference. His decision making, and all-round abilities make him an outstanding player. Their are other senior players within the ABs that have leadership qualities, Read and Mealamu come to mind,

There will be more pressure on the ABs to win this RWC than any other time.

If we lose, i might become a tissue salesman

As you will all be aware, Supersports from South Africa has ceased on cable within Thailand. Coverage of S14 was great but now all we will get is some games on Australia Network.

I want to subscribe to a live streaming service for S15, and probably RWC as well. so I would like to know of any that are available, without using a proxy. Foxtel in Aus had one last season, but was restricted to within Australia.

Any other alternatives?

As you will all be aware, Supersports from South Africa has ceased on cable within Thailand. Coverage of S14 was great but now all we will get is some games on Australia Network.

I want to subscribe to a live streaming service for S15, and probably RWC as well. so I would like to know of any that are available, without using a proxy. Foxtel in Aus had one last season, but was restricted to within Australia.

Any other alternatives?

Will the Six Nations be on any of the other channels?

The Astro schedule for next weekend is not on line yet... though a search on rugby picks up the European Nations Cup games on Eurosport on 6 Feb. probably not a good sign...

Ha Ha - perseverence pays off in the end...Astro Supersport and Supersport 2 comes up trumps.

Any pubs in Bangkok show these channels?

SC

The Clubhouse in S23 are advertising all the 6 nations games live and I've seen a listing from them of all the games and times...unfortunately one of the best games (Eng v Wales) is on at 245am, maybe its a friday night game in the UK?

The previous poster that is looking to watch S14(15) on Australia Network is going to be mighty disappointed, AusNetwork dont have the rights anymore, still unclear exactly who does other than Setanta but how they are planning to resell the rights here is anyones guess......

• 2 weeks later...

Any other alternatives?

Astro just added Super 15 games games to its SuperSport schedule...

There will be no coverage on Australia Network this year

http://www.astro.com.my/content_epg/articles/art_639.html

Or you can subscribe online via Setanta Asia.

http://www.setanta.com/asia/

• 3 weeks later...

right, this thread needs a bit of a bump !

big one tonight against les bleu, should be a great game.

england by 11 points hopefully.

I'm not sure I'll stay up for it, and it looks like I might miss the kick-off and the first three tries in the Italy Wales game as well... no wait a minute, its not being held at Murrayfield....

SC

right, this thread needs a bit of a bump !

big one tonight against les bleu, should be a great game.

england by 11 points hopefully.

I'm not sure I'll stay up for it, and it looks like I might miss the kick-off and the first three tries in the Italy Wales game as well... no wait a minute, its not being held at Murrayfield....

SC

what on earth are you waffling on about SC ?

anyway good result last night for the boys in white wearing the red rose. a bit ragged in the first half and Johnson really does need to cancel out the legacy of Leicester style stupid penalties that keep creeping into England's games or they are seriously going to get punished by the better sides around the world. still nice to see an attacking approach and some good open play when running with the ball and equally good ball retention at the breakdowns. France didn't get to cross our line which is another plus. the only thing wrong about the result was that johnny didnt kick a drop goal in the dying seconds of the game. had he and i would have got my prediction right. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

well, that time has come when we meet the old enemy once again to battle it out for the Calcutta cup and bragging rights for yet another year.

no doubt the " socks " will save their best performance as usual for this encounter, but with England being at home and pushing for the grand slam and wanting to help the jocks on their way to yet another wooden spoon, i dare say we should come out comfortable winners in the end.

mind you saying that though, for any of you tight fisted lot from north of the border. the bookies are offering a plus 17 mark on the handicap back home if any of are interested and can prize your wallets open long enough to get the money out. wink.gif

England by a margin of 14 points.

well, that time has come when we meet the old enemy once again to battle it out for the Calcutta cup and bragging rights for yet another year.

no doubt the " socks " will save their best performance as usual for this encounter, but with England being at home and pushing for the grand slam and wanting to help the jocks on their way to yet another wooden spoon, i dare say we should come out comfortable winners in the end.

mind you saying that though, for any of you tight fisted lot from north of the border. the bookies are offering a plus 17 mark on the handicap back home if any of are interested and can prize your wallets open long enough to get the money out. wink.gif

I've got the cushions piled up on the sofa, I'm on my way to the supermarket to stock up on irn bru - as I said to my dear old father for the game against Samoa - I'm not sure how much influence on the final score you get from drinking irn bru while watching a delayed telecast; "Well, it was enough, wasn't it?" he replied. So I'll get a couple of extra cans for tomorrow night...

SC

We'd love to derail your slam effort....an extra incentive not that one will be necessary. 17 eh? might have a look at that...:D