cognos

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'cognos'

. and one needs to differentiate CLEARLY between..

A..honking to warn someone you are pissed off, or to send a "message" as such.. and..

B. ..to honk to warn someone that they need to do something QUICKLY to avoid an accident. The two are apples and oranges, as different as night and day

A. will NOT be appreciated, as we have CLEARLY seen, and B is appreciated or at least tolerated

Now if someone is getting killed for honking as in example B... then I will simply stop driving a car in LOS as much as possible

So what you are suggesting here is that all vehicles need to be fitted with dual horn systems , one to H-O-N-K AT THOSE YOU ARE PISSED OFF AT and the other to honk at those you only wish to warn of impending danger . This brings up a question , with all of the surounding traffic , who knows who the is being honked at ? Considering the mental attitude of many drivers , who is going to inform them of your suggestion ? Inclusive of Thai and expats .

"..So what you are suggesting here is that all vehicles need to be fitted with dual horn systems , one to H-O-N-K AT THOSE YOU ARE PISSED OFF AT and the other to honk at those you only wish to warn of impending danger . This brings up a question , with all of the surounding traffic , who knows who the is being honked at ? Considering the mental attitude of many drivers , who is going to inform them of your suggestion ? Inclusive of Thai and expats ..."

good points.. in areas where there is a lot of horn honking, it may not such an issue, but where there is only you honking, the other can usually clearly differentiate between an " angry" series of protracted or lengthy toots , vs. a quick honk to warn someone of impending danger.

If the one being honked at thinks the other is pissed off, they may react differently than someone honking a quick toot to warn them of impending danger. Most usually know when honked at what the intention is, where the other is annoyed or conversely just warning you to avoid an accident.

signed: they may be very angry at the former, and appreciate the latter

scat, as in scatology

signed: dog or pork dish?

:D

:D

The word scat makes me rench for some reason...pooh seems much softer...

Always pork or pig as the natives call it..

How can I become pro active? :D

Go for a massage before I feel stiff? :D

Get drunk before I'm sober again? :D

signed

How do I make a pro active :)

. and one needs to differentiate CLEARLY between..

A..honking to warn someone you are pissed off, or to send a "message" as such.. and..

B. ..to honk to warn someone that they need to do something QUICKLY to avoid an accident. The two are apples and oranges, as different as night and day

A. will NOT be appreciated, as we have CLEARLY seen, and B is appreciated or at least tolerated

Now if someone is getting killed for honking as in example B... then I will simply stop driving a car in LOS as much as possible

I understand what you're saying but I'm afraid it's too difficult for me.

EVERY day, in any curve, drivers cross the white line of their lane and almost crash into me. To avoid this, I use the long, aggressive honk, warning them to do something quickly and warning them I'm pissed off at such terrible drivers skills (I never give anyone the finger). All of them are clearly embarrassed. IMO, if you can't keep your vehicule between the lines, you shouldn't be on the road. Today a green plate 'taxi' held up traffic at a traffic light because he parked in a no parking (red-white) zone. Dozens of cars could not move when green because this lazy, selfish b.st.rd blocked everything. Of course, I used the long honk because if no one 'tells' this guy he surely will do it again. Maybe now (not a fat chance though) he will not do this again, realizing he did something very selfish (there was a parking space about 10 m.away). I just have to react because now sometimes I have the feeling already that some people don't care about anything but themselves (and money of course). I'm sure some people even don't realize they're doing something wrong (how ignorant can you be) and maybe honking helps them.

some of my farang friends in LOS.. a former French foreign Legionaire, 2 volunteer tourist police.. the usual suspects..etc..

some of my Thai friends in LOS.. a volunteer Pattaya policeman/ tour operator..a BKK muslim taxi driver/womanizer...etc..

signed: thin, but not devoid of experience in LOS

That's got to be the Top Trumps of mates you want in Thailand.cheesy.gif

some of my farang friends in LOS.. a former French foreign Legionaire, 2 volunteer tourist police.. the usual suspects..etc..

some of my Thai friends in LOS.. a volunteer Pattaya policeman/ tour operator..a BKK muslim taxi driver/womanizer...etc..

signed: thin, but not devoid of experience in LOS

That's got to be the Top Trumps of mates you want in Thailand.cheesy.gif

Yeah.

"Shit. I've only got a police colonel who owns a resort on Koh Samui and he's got an army general with connections to the opium trade in the Golden Triangle. I'd better go for most horsepower.." :)

As I see it, if you see inequity, bad behaviour, exploitation, violence, stupidity, authoritarianism, corruption, ineptitude, incompetence, selfishness, poor business practices, dangerous driving, ridiculous legislation, environmental damage, scams, poor infrastructure, second-rate education, abuse of children, poor wages, lop-sided distribution of wealth, building regulations flouted, abuse of animals, polluted beaches, police brutality, shoddy goods, etc etc....WHEREVER it is, it is my prerogative to say something about it

Of course and with that perogative comes acceptance of the consequences.

of course and if they seem unjust - take more action or whatever....

'473geo'

So if you react in the correct manner......are you being reactive?

A resounding YES .

honking your horn in the West is not in anger as suggested , it is a means of letting another road user know he/she is about to enroach on your space possibly in a dangerous manner , in retrospect , had he failed to have been honked , an accident could have occured instead of being averted , the Thai way is to run the guy over first and then run from the scene to be proactive about what excuse he can make .

There are many alternatives to the the choice either/or of these words , dependant on circumstance , there is no adamant use , only a percieved use to suit the orators personal conviction . This thread could be commented on ad-finitum with no plausable ending or explanation , something akin to beauty being in the eye of the beholder , some would say "Well , she is not realy pretty ", others would proffer "Well , she's not realy ugly either " , both being reactive statements , the proactive person would pass the comment "Well , I think she's neither , rather somewhere in between , pretty ugly " .

Good night one and all , perchance to dream , should I wack him in the face or wait a while and give him a big hug !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the UK the Highway code suggests that tooting of horn or flashing of lights has only ONE meaning and that is to indicate your presence- - what other motorists intrepret after that is up to their own judgement.