Germany Concerned About Thailand's Political Turmoil

webfact

Germany concerned about Thailand's political turmoil

BANGKOK: -- Feb 2 (TNA) – Simmering political chaos appears to be increasingly shaking foreign investor confidence as the former German economic minister voiced concerns for the interests of investors and the safety of tourists, according to Deputy Prime Minister Trairong Suwannakhiri

Speaking after meeting former German minister of economics and technology Michael Glos during a courtesy call, Mr Trairong said the minister expressed concern regarding German investment interests and the well-being of holiday visitors to Thailand following rumours in Europe that the political situation here will turn violent with Red Shirt protesters protesting again in February.

The rumours had spread that the political chaos might lead to a military coup, which fuelled uneasiness among German investors and tourists. Accordingly the minister sought clarification over the economic and political situations from the government, he said.

Dr Trairong said he told the minister that Thailand had explained to foreign investors for proper understanding of the situations and assured them that no coup would occur because the current political turmoil is not severe enough to warrant a coup.

He said he was confident the court’s ruling on the seizure of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra’s assets scheduled to be given on February 26 would not lead to violent protests and riots like the incident in April last year as the government would attempt its best to control it.

On mounting concerns that the Thai government would go broke in the next three to four years, the deputy premier said he did not expect the scenario to happen in that period, but it could occur in the next decade unless the government’s revenue structure is improved, he warned. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-02-02

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it always about former Ministers? Actually I know Mr. Glos from Germany, he knows so much about Thailand like a cat about astral physics. For my opinion what Mr. Glos is saying means nothing at all, similar to the most German politicians. Mr. Glos forgot to mention how dangerous it might be for a Thai to go to East Germany. They don’t make a difference there between Thais or Vietnamese people, just called Fidschis…… The past has shown that some Skinheads are just beating the shit out of people with another cultural background, or color of their skin. Some got beaten to death. Could the former minister of economics and technology explain where he had gained his knowledge? He shouldn’t read newspapers like ‘Die Bildzeitung’ or other nonsense. Glos ,I know that you know nothing. And nobody here gives a flying shit about your weird statement.

Why is it always about former Ministers? Actually I know Mr. Glos from Germany, he knows so much about Thailand like a cat about astral physics. For my opinion what Mr. Glos is saying means nothing at all, similar to the most German politicians. Mr. Glos forgot to mention how dangerous it might be for a Thai to go to East Germany. They don’t make a difference there between Thais or Vietnamese people, just called Fidschis…… The past has shown that some Skinheads are just beating the shit out of people with another cultural background, or color of their skin. Some got beaten to death. Could the former minister of economics and technology explain where he had gained his knowledge? He shouldn’t read newspapers like ‘Die Bildzeitung’ or other nonsense. Glos ,I know that you know nothing. And nobody here gives a flying shit about your weird statement.

Whatever you think of Mr. Glos, the concerns he expressed are valid and as one poster already mentioned before, are well representative for foreign investors, tourists etc.

Just look at the Map Ta Phut case now. Top this with a Red Shirt uprise, this all would be a major setback for the entire country.

Btw, I don't know what your remarks with regard to East Germany and racism have to do with the topic.

Cheers

The view expressed by the German is representative of Western investors, businesses, corporations.

It refocuses Thailand on the great and urgent need to return to some semblance of democratic stability.

Fortunately for Thailand and Thai people China is investing heavily over here. The political chaos is not a big deal. Even after Mr. T over through, over here nothing changed, everything stayed the same, the fact of life over here and the way politics work, the money and investment stayed safe before and after that.

The rumours had spread that the political chaos might lead to a military coup, which fueled uneasiness among German investors and tourists

Now we can see one of the other possible reasons for the creation of this scare. Aside from threatening that the judges' decision on his case may create chaos, (through a falsely staged coup, or enough of a commotion to allow Thaksin's thugs to attack the judges), Thaksin also knows that even news of a possible coup will frighten investors and tourists, even if it is very unlikely to happen.

This psychological terrorism might have an effect on Thailand's economic recovery, which he could then use as further proof that Thailand needs him to make everything better. The use of media to destabilize a government can be more effective, (and cheaper), than any "hard" actions. Hopefully, it will fail, but by pulling strings to get former ministers to give interviews, it makes the rumour seem more concrete. :) (I wish there was a head-shaking-in-disapproval smiley)

And the game goes on...

Edited by Meridian007

Why is it always about former Ministers? Actually I know Mr. Glos from Germany, he knows so much about Thailand like a cat about astral physics. For my opinion what Mr. Glos is saying means nothing at all, similar to the most German politicians. Mr. Glos forgot to mention how dangerous it might be for a Thai to go to East Germany. They don't make a difference there between Thais or Vietnamese people, just called Fidschis…… The past has shown that some Skinheads are just beating the shit out of people with another cultural background, or color of their skin. Some got beaten to death. Could the former minister of economics and technology explain where he had gained his knowledge? He shouldn't read newspapers like 'Die Bildzeitung' or other nonsense. Glos ,I know that you know nothing. And nobody here gives a flying shit about your weird statement.

Whatever you think of Mr. Glos, the concerns he expressed are valid and as one poster already mentioned before, are well representative for foreign investors, tourists etc.

Just look at the Map Ta Phut case now. Top this with a Red Shirt uprise, this all would be a major setback for the entire country.

Btw, I don't know what your remarks with regard to East Germany and racism have to do with the topic.

Cheers

I would never be so bold as to infer I know more than a former economics Minister :)

I mean could there be the slighest possibility that he has access to observations and information ( through diplomatic channels )

from by the German Embassy in Bangkok that could change your mind Sisaketmike ? :D

Edited by thaijasmine

Why is it always about former Ministers? Actually I know Mr. Glos from Germany, he knows so much about Thailand like a cat about astral physics. For my opinion what Mr. Glos is saying means nothing at all, similar to the most German politicians. Mr. Glos forgot to mention how dangerous it might be for a Thai to go to East Germany. They don't make a difference there between Thais or Vietnamese people, just called Fidschis…… The past has shown that some Skinheads are just beating the shit out of people with another cultural background, or color of their skin. Some got beaten to death. Could the former minister of economics and technology explain where he had gained his knowledge? He shouldn't read newspapers like 'Die Bildzeitung' or other nonsense. Glos ,I know that you know nothing. And nobody here gives a flying shit about your weird statement.
" How about doing some homework prior typing?

Need a reminder of recent headlines in local newspapers? Here they are:

Attack on PM's house may link to red shirts: Suthep

Only justice can bring about hope and peace: HM

Politics chaotic as per usual but coup not warranted: Chavalit

Red shirts to rally at Army bases

Anupong orders troops to protect privy councilors

Suthep: Police guarding judges

I don’t know what you do for your living. However, as a profit oriented business person you must be pretty stupid to invest in a country of continuous political chaos, tons of red tape and corruption.

As a tourist, who can assure you things like the Airport occupation don’t repeat after Feb. 26th? These guys saved money for month to spend “quality time here” and don’t want to waste their three weeks holidays in such a mess!

And by the way- the BILD Zeitung did not even mention this issue so far. You are right in your opinion about East Germany. However, first of all the Neo Nazi movement is a minority even there and this matter is in no way related to Mr. Glos’ statement! And,- last but not least, how about the treatment of Hmong people, migrant workers and Cambodian UXO victims in your country? It is always a good advice to clean up your own house first, before complaining about your neighbor’s dirty carpet…

" How about doing some homework prior typing?

Need a reminder of recent headlines in local newspapers? Here they are:

Attack on PM's house may link to red shirts: Suthep

Only justice can bring about hope and peace: HM

Politics chaotic as per usual but coup not warranted: Chavalit

Red shirts to rally at Army bases

Anupong orders troops to protect privy councilors

Suthep: Police guarding judges

I don't know what you do for your living. However, as a profit oriented business person you must be pretty stupid to invest in a country of continuous political chaos, tons of red tape and corruption.

As a tourist, who can assure you things like the Airport occupation don't repeat after Feb. 26th? These guys saved money for month to spend "quality time here" and don't want to waste their three weeks holidays in such a mess!

And by the way- the BILD Zeitung did not even mention this issue so far. You are right in your opinion about East Germany. However, first of all the Neo Nazi movement is a minority even there and this matter is in no way related to Mr. Glos' statement! And,- last but not least, how about the treatment of Hmong people, migrant workers and Cambodian UXO victims in your country? It is always a good advice to clean up your own house first, before complaining about your neighbor's dirty carpet…

I settled down in this country, always aware that things were never how they said. I got married, invested money for living, a car and I'm pretty happy to work here. Almost eight years here taught me that it's still better here than Germany with the cartoon politicians. Glos is just a walking joke, why wasn't it the actual Minister of foreign affairs to make a statement like that? And on top of that, please look at the German Chancellor…..Amen.

post-39518-1265105726_thumb.jpg

post-39518-1265105821_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sisaketmike

Michael Glos

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Michael Glos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Federal Minister of Economics and Technology

Germany

In office

November 22, 2005 – February 10, 2009

Preceded by Wolfgang Clement

Succeeded by Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Born December 14, 1944 (1944-12-14) (age 65)

Brünnau, Germany

Nationality German

Political party Christian Social Union (CSU)

Profession Miller

Website glos.de

Michael Glos (born December 14, 1944 in Brünnau) is a German politician (CSU) who served as Minister for Economics and Technology from November 22, 2005, until February 10, 2009.

After the secondary school level, he made an apprenticeship as miller and became master in 1967. Starting 1968, he managed his parents' flour mill in Prichsenstadt.

Since 1970, Glos is a member of the CSU. In 1972 he was the first chairman of the CSU-chapter of his hometown Prichsenstadt. From 1975 to 1993, he was chairman of the CSU-district of Kitzingen. Since 1976 he is part of the executive board of the CSU Lower Franconia. Since then he is member of presidency of the CSU Bavaria. Since 1993, he is chairman of the CSU Bavaria and deputy chairman of the CDU/CSU parliamentary group.

From 1972 to 1978, he was member of the district council of Prichsenstadt and, from 1975 to 1993, member of the council of the district (Kreistag) of Kitzingen. In 1976, Glos was elected to the Bundestag.

Glos is married and father of two children. His third child died in a car crash near Munich in 1997.

On February 7th, 2009, he offered his resignation as Minister for Economics and Technology, which was first denied by Horst Seehofer,[1][2] but later accepted.[3

Please would someone ask the dick head of a minister why he even bothered to mention why Mr. Glos had any concerns whatsoever?

This was a courtesy call. Why does the minister have to say any more than we had a cup of coffee and talked about his golf handicap.

It is astonishing to me how Thai people of a certain level will lie through their teeth like consummate politicians, whilst underlings will utter the most idiotic statements like robots.

Why would anyone report that a former German diplomat is concerned that Thailand might go broke???????????????

Please nobody ask this idiot if he has a mia noi or has ever taken a bribe.

Please would someone ask the dick head of a minister why he even bothered to mention why Mr. Glos had any concerns whatsoever?

This was a courtesy call. Why does the minister have to say any more than we had a cup of coffee and talked about his golf handicap.

It is astonishing to me how Thai people of a certain level will lie through their teeth like consummate politicians, whilst underlings will utter the most idiotic statements like robots.

Why would anyone report that a former German diplomat is concerned that Thailand might go broke???????????????

The report doesnt say the German minister was concerned about Thailand going broke. That was a seperate comment at the bottom of the article which IO would guess was in answer to a reproters question :"growing concerns..." which followed the Thai ministers comment on the asset stuff

None of this is said without reason anyway. It is likely the minster wanted to stress that turbulence would be a negative thing to keep that idea in the news as th ered side are likely to crerate some turbulence and linking that to negative economic issues suits the government. Similarly with the government proposing radicla new taxation that the wealthy are not going to liek one bit it makes sense to stress government revenue streams are problematic in the medium term. Everything is for local political consumption and anything he said is not going to affect international investment right now as that is pretty much on the fence anyway until aftre the asset case, the Maptaput final decision and at least one other big change.

The view expressed by the German is representative of Western investors, businesses, corporations.

It refocuses Thailand on the great and urgent need to return to some semblance of democratic stability.

You hit the nail on the head. I would add the following:

1) They must change their education system so that graduates are competitive in the global marketplace.

3) They must attack a growing xenophobia, anti-foreigner sentiment in the country.

4) They must address human rights issues.

5) They must take the immigration system, flush it down the toilet where it belongs, and start over.

6) They must make strong changes to foreign business rules, especially for small scale businesses.

7) They must address income inequality, especially between rural and urban residents.

8) They must address environmental problems like air pollution.

9) They must learn something about urban planning.

I could go on, but that is enough for now.

The report doesnt say the German minister was concerned about Thailand going broke. That was a seperate comment at the bottom of the article which IO would guess was in answer to a reproters question :"growing concerns..." which followed the Thai ministers comment on the asset stuff

None of this is said without reason anyway. It is likely the minster wanted to stress that turbulence would be a negative thing to keep that idea in the news as th ered side are likely to crerate some turbulence and linking that to negative economic issues suits the government. Similarly with the government proposing radicla new taxation that the wealthy are not going to liek one bit it makes sense to stress government revenue streams are problematic in the medium term. Everything is for local political consumption and anything he said is not going to affect international investment right now as that is pretty much on the fence anyway until aftre the asset case, the Maptaput final decision and at least one other big change.

Accepted, in which case the MCOT TNA needs to get its editorial in line vis a vis the going broke question.

I would prefer that before a very junior minister gets to speak publicly about taxation and revenues, I would think that having Abhisit or Korn make a public statement would be better. Maybe this is how Thailand works, where the underlings drip the statements in until someone makes the knock out statement. Don't believe it will work. I find it very interesting that the reality is that if Abhisit and Korn want to bring this taxation into existence, that they are not fighting the current political opposition, but rather the landed wealth of the country. This will be in effect their own anti-establishment gift to Thailand.

For that alone, as British passport holders they deserve knighthoods for services to the poor of Thailand.....

Oh the irony...........................................................................

Dr Trairong said he told the minister that Thailand had explained to foreign investors for proper understanding of the situations and assured them that no coup would occur because the current political turmoil is not severe enough to warrant a coup.

Good chance of a coup.

He said he was confident the court's ruling on the seizure of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra's assets scheduled to be given on February 26 would not lead to violent protests and riots like the incident in April last year as the government would attempt its best to control it.

Looks like a forgone conclusion that Thakin's money is going, most of it probably 'ear marked' already, and the Government WOULD ATTEMPT its best to control it, (forgot to put any contingency plans in place and really haven't gotta a clue what we are going to do when it kicks of).

On mounting concerns that the Thai government would go broke in the next three to four years, the deputy premier said he did not expect the scenario to happen in that period, but it could occur in the next decade unless the government's revenue structure is improved, he warned.

We will probably be broke by the end of February if we give Thakin his cash back.

A bright and promising future in LoS............they really have got to get their house in order and do it quickly.

On mounting concerns that the Thai government would go broke in the next three to four years, the deputy premier said he did not expect the scenario to happen in that period, but it could occur in the next decade unless the government's revenue structure is improved, he warned.

On whose mounting concerns exactly? I can't recall seeing mention of those fears anywhere... Sounds to me like he's selling fear and after a consulting job!

I always love it when government ministers or whoever feel the need to "explain things for proper understanding"

Like when ambassadors were summoned to be given a clear picture of the charges against Thaksin etc.

" Hi. My names Eric G John and I'm the US Ambassador to Thailand. Bit of luck really. I won my position in a Lucky Draw at a local mom and pop store. 2nd prize was a case of St Ides Malt Liquor."

I always love it when government ministers or whoever feel the need to "explain things for proper understanding"

Like when ambassadors were summoned to be given a clear picture of the charges against Thaksin etc.

" Hi. My names Eric G John and I'm the US Ambassador to Thailand. Bit of luck really. I won my position in a Lucky Draw at a local mom and pop store. 2nd prize was a case of St Ides Malt Liquor."

I indeed love the fact that despite an issue has been laid out in black in white for the last 3 or 4 or 15 years, we would like to "explain things for proper understanding".

It maintains the lovely feeling that because the "locals" speak a weird alphabet and do things like "wai" that they are all so quaint.

Meanwhile, look between the lines and "don't <deleted> with what we are trying to achieve here".