Dual Pricing At Phuket Airport

udonsmiles

I know its only 35 baht but why should I have to pay 85 baht for an cornetto when a Thai pays only (?) 50 baht? :D

According to the smiling shop assistant it is because "farang pay more than Thai"

So thats cleared that up then, everything is above board and now I know the score :D .

Just wish there was a notice or sign informing potential customers of the shops policy, then I could have gone elsewhere.

If you find yourself in domestic departures at Phuket International and want to avoid this particular scam - don't patronise the refreshment shop nearest to the bag check. There are plenty of other places with the prices displayed and tills that can produce a receipt :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yaaa, you just wanted to show off that you've been to Phuket!

(Lucky s*d!)

Sorry - posted before reading your name as I'd assumed from your avatar

that you were in fact MiltonBently!

Edited by DavidOxon

If you find yourself in domestic departures at Phuket International and want to avoid this particular scam - don't patronise the refreshment shop nearest to the bag check.

Wow, maybe you post on one of those Thailand scam alert websites. :)

Quote from OP : According to the smiling shop assistant it is because "farang pay more than Thai"

This is correct, prices are based on the skin tone of the customer. It's fairly common, I'm surprised you haven't encountered this before.

just show your Thai driving license

My work permit did the trick. :)

Hey thanks for the comment tonitit, perhaps you could make another when you have a little less time :D

Why so much hassle, show workpermit etc. come on...

Just drop 50b on the counter with a smile, then look the bitch in the eyes as if you say 'if you dare...' and walk away, with a smile again, always works, she got the message. If you end up in a conflict with some dumb official and no choice then adding the 35b just smash it on the ground, they really really hate to kneel for you ! When it's a cop however never do this.

Some of them you really need to keep short, no respect they made me even when for just 1 bath.

I refuse that nooo-I'm-stupid-again feeling, no more !

It's so important to always keep focusing on the nice things, the nice people and there are enough (and avoid Phuket I guess, never liked that place) but no more mindfukkers within my circle please.

I agree, there is nothing to complain about here, simply refuse. Put 50 baht on the counter and walk away. They are trying to steal from you, why would you let them?

However, throwing Thai money on the ground in anger is a good way to commit suicide if you are looking for an exciting public beating death as an option, if that is not your objective, then I suggest you refrain from doing that. People have already been murdered for that exact action in public.

a world with people not understanding cynicism without a :)

this is perhaps TV's biggest weakness.

without an emoticon, few can actually interpret a post.

as regards the op - i have found that an impromptu conversation in thai about the finer points of theravada buddhism, the current state of thai culture, or even a political discussion paves the way to cheaper ice cream.

failing that, i just say no or expose the criminal on a very influential expat website.

Quote from OP : According to the smiling shop assistant it is because "farang pay more than Thai"

This is correct, prices are based on the skin tone of the customer. It's fairly common, I'm surprised you haven't encountered this before.

i must admit i have encountered this, but either the "crime" was so negligible i didn't notice, or upon noticing it i simply said no and either went without or paid retail.

i do not condone dual pricing, but it has rarely actually cost me more money.

last time i remember paying more for not being local was at the vancouver aquarium.

wait... i remember once on samui a few years back being told i could ride free if i just shut up.

yaaa, you just wanted to show off that you've been to Phuket!

(Lucky s*d!)

Sorry - posted before reading your name as I'd assumed from your avatar

that you were in fact MiltonBently!

My thoughts exactly--not about going to Phuket--about the patron of a well known pub in Chiang Mai.

And the white ones are lucky they know how to use a computer so we can warn each other.

Any dual prices for black and yellow ones?

Vanilla costs more than chocolate.

Now come on guys, Falangs don't pay extra, it's just that Thai Nationals get a discount :D

Good one Gary :D:D:D

But it still gives me the feeling that i am not home, ones a farang always a farang :)

You are right of course, we Thai Falangs can have homes built, raise families and children (often step children), buy new cars etc. But if we want to visit The Grand Palace, it's 300B for foreigners and free for Thais.

A company I once worked for in Bangkok booked me into a Bangkok hotel, the rate was 1100B for Thais, 1700B for foreigners. When I queried the receptionist about this, he seemed surprised that I thought it was anything but normal.

I totally agree with the op, this is unacceptable.

According to the smiling shop assistant it is because "farang pay more than Thai"

Would it be correct to smile back, say "Farang pay less than thai", drop 20 baht on the counter, and walk away??

No it would not, it is cheating, and shows no respect.

Most likely some stupid farang last week said

. . . "Farang pay more than thai" and left his change,

and now everybody gets shafted...

Edited by davee58

Good one Gary :D:D:D

But it still gives me the feeling that i am not home, ones a farang always a farang :)

You are right of course, we Thai Falangs can have homes built, raise families and children (often step children), buy new cars etc. But if we want to visit The Grand Palace, it's 300B for foreigners and free for Thais.

A company I once worked for in Bangkok booked me into a Bangkok hotel, the rate was 1100B for Thais, 1700B for foreigners. When I queried the receptionist about this, he seemed surprised that I thought it was anything but normal.

Still suprised me that there isn't a tourist handguide or just a magzine where they advice you about this dual pricing and give advice for Falang friendly alternatives, seems like a market for me as i am happy to walk 200 meters to buy at va falang friendly shop even if i have to pay the same price.

I hate dual pricing would be nice if they would start doing that in other countries just for Thais. Making sure they can't buy land and they pay more for everything.

But too bad that will never happen, i love Thailand but this is one of the things that i dont like about it.

In tourist areas it is reasonable that local citizens get a discount for goods and services if they show their national ID card when paying.

It's the way the dual-pricing is enforced (by racial profiling) that is the problem. Not the two tiers.

But if we want to visit The Grand Palace, it's 300B for foreigners and free for Thais.

Actually if you're Buddhist and say that you're there to pray it is free as well. But there is a huge difference between institutions of government that are funded by citizens, such as national parks, museums, univervities, etc, charging different prices for citizens and non citizens, and some dude hawking ice cream or a large corporation running an aquarium instituting race based pricing and purposely obscuring that fact.

In tourist areas it is reasonable that local citizens get a discount for goods and services if they show their national ID card when paying.

It's the way the dual-pricing is enforced (by racial profiling) that is the problem. Not the two tiers.

So you are saying that if the Coffee Gal was in LHR and walked into a Starbuck's there prior to her flight back to LOS, she should pay more than 50,000 UK travellers who all have to show their ID?

It is one of the many things I dislike about the LoS, however far from hiding this practice Chiangmai zoo is quite open about this two tier pricing system.

Entrance Fee Foreigners - Adult: 100 Baht, Child (less than 135 cm in height):

50 Baht

Thais - Adult: 50 Baht,

Teacher, soldier, policeman (in uniform): 30 Baht,

Child (less than 135 cm.): 10 Baht,

Senior citizen, people with disability, and monk: Free of charge

Taken from; http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/chiang_mai...ng_mai_zoo.html

When I went, what really pissed me off was that not only did I pay more than a Thai national, but I was told to get off the tram to make way for a group of Thai's in order that they could sit together! BTW I thought the zoo was a '<deleted> hole'...........