What % Of Farang Do You Think Live Here On <40k A Month?

vrsushi

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to you if you are earning this sort of money biggrin.gif looking at the average median earnings for an employee in the UK the average converted into Thai baht would be around 26,000 baht per week, 10% earn more than 52,000 baht per week. This is before tax and National Insurance. Myself and family can live on around half what it would cost us in the UK also our house is paid for. You are certainly in the minority and will be living an enviable life in Thailand on that sort of money.

Your figures also ignore taxes. Presuming £500 and a baht rate of 52 to give you Bt26,000. In reality, that £500 equates to only £382 net ( http://listentotaxman.com/ ) or Bt19,864 per week.

Were I more elderly, my children having grown up and my responsibilities few, I might also consider living on a low income but what about all the poor sods who worked out their retirement based upon an FX rate of 70 or even 60 when we now have 50 ? Many no longer even qualify for visas ! The thought of living so hand to mouth would be terrifying, with no insurance, no permanent residence, no assets and very little income. You might have to be prepared to kill yourself if things got bad. Someone with 100k can chose to live on 40k a month but I think many delude themselves that they really live a life spending only 40k a month. Their alternative options must be quite dire I suggest.

I live in Pattaya on 12 000 baht a month. 6300 for Niran condo (including water, electo etc), 350 for GPRS internet, the rest for food, mobile phone and 2 times massage. No beer, no whisky , no bar girls. I lost 10 kilos and feel myself excellent. now I am going to relocate to Auytthaya for massage school. I hope i will spend there the same because I have found 2 floors downtown with smallest garden for 5000 bath a month.

Weren't you the guy who lived in those 20 million baht all paid for houses together with your rich girlfriend a few topics ago?

and flogging 18 Rai of land as well, if I remember correctly

we are separate now. about 2 months. After she asked me 2 millions for building a new home:) for sister

I spend about 20k per month.

Rent 1,500

Electricity free

Water 26B

Fruit free

Petrol 2,000

Mother-in-law 5,000

I think the rest must go on beer (for me), sweets and toys (for the boy) and clothes & shoes (for the missus).

We have a great time.

I would rather spend the rest of my life in temple, than go back to th UK.

dude where u living ?

A friend of the family recently demolished an apartment block that had rooms for 1,500 a month on Soi Yensabai to build an apartment block with larger rooms and more floors. The bathrooms were about the size of an airplane lavoratory and the floors were polished cement. Most occupied by push cart vendors and motorcycle taxi riders.

:)

Certainly farang can live decently here <40k. That's why so many are here and will come here and they can have all the prostis too.

Many are stingy to themselves, counting every Satang at the super, comes 21:00h at the establishments it isn't so.

Certainly farang can live decently here <40k. That's why so many are here and will come here and they can have all the prostis too.

Many are stingy to themselves, counting every Satang at the super, comes 21:00h at the establishments it isn't so.

I can't somehow see Tesco using that as an example of "every little helps", can you? :):D Shame they don't do buy one, get one free, at the "establishments".

we don't have air condition, we fan ourselves with banana leafs **claps**

Thats nothing....I used to live in shoe box and eat gravel three times a day

Agreed with you nothing noble about it, but then think about the general demographic of Farangs in Thailand, "English teachers" on 25k to 40k/month and OAP's on goverment pensions on about the same...

living in a shoe box...eating gravel

LUXURY....

Without any intention to offend either the low spenders or the big spenders, I think it is not a big problem to live outside of Bangkok on that amount of money. I am excluding large capital expenses (car, electronics, major repairs to housing, etc.) and emergencies.

Edited by Jingthing

Without any intention to offend either the low spenders or the big spenders, I think it is not a big problem to live outside of Bangkok on that amount of money. I am excluding large capital expenses (car, electronics, major repairs to housing, etc.) and emergencies.

Glad to see you ditched that grubby cowboy look JT, the hammers much more suited to your posting style :)

But yeh, should be easy for a single guy to do it on 30k in a normal appartment in BK without th expenses you mentioned

Once upon a time i did the same and was probably spending 10-15k of that on beer and massages

Glad to see you ditched that grubby cowboy look JT, the hammers much more suited to your posting style :)

The use of the swinging hammer image was added without any intention to offend those in the construction trades, nails should they be sentient beings in disguise, or meant to imply that those in the elite intellectual trades are incapable of manual labour.

BTW, the defunct avatar was no cowboy. That was Walt Whitman. Given Mr. Whitman's libertine reputation, I removed him so as not to offend the morally upright and those with painful memories of being forced to write poetry by English teachers.

Edited by Jingthing

Glad to see you ditched that grubby cowboy look JT, the hammers much more suited to your posting style :D

The use of the swinging hammer image was added without any intention to offend those in the construction trades, nails should they be sentient beings in disguise, or meant to imply that those in the elite intellectual trades are incapable of manual labour.

BTW, the defunct avatar was no cowboy. That was Walt Whitman. Given Mr. Whitman's libertine reputation, I removed him so as not to offend the morally upright and those with painful memories of being forced to write poetry by English teachers.

Ooops sorry mate, as you might notice i have absolutely no memories whatsoever of poetry or English teachers

pity though, might have helped me understand a bit more of your first sentance :)