Westerners With Amulets

canuckamuck

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son has an 1baht amulet with the king & queens image on it, a gift from granny when he was born, he also has another solid gold amulet blessed from the temple that granny follows (a branch of Buddhism based around lay healing - yolaay) & he also was given at birth a necklace made of beads from a Sino-Thai friend of my husbands for good wealth & luck. At home they hang on a nail above his bed & when we travel I am "in charge" of their safe travel & I carry then in a special box that goes in my hand bag. They sure do create a lot of discussion at airport security but as he is only nearly 3 doesn't wear them & therefore doesn't get to look like a "knob" or a "fruitcake" yet :):D

My husband has the same (yolaay) amulet as his family & son but like his whole family, doesn't wear it on a chain, the men wear them in a smal bag that is then pinned inside their shirt & the women to their bras. This keeps the amulet as close to the heart as possible. :D Up to them.

Hello new poster here :)

I'm a Buddhist-Catholic (yes i'm confused) Singaporean, and i do wear a small one everyday. I rented it from a wat in Koh Chang, and wear it on a string that the monk there gave to me. I contemplated before getting one, fortunately there were a few local thais at the wat who spoke English and were so kind to explain the symbolism of the amulets to me. Different amulets have different "powers", such as Ganesh is for the arts and fame, and amulets of the other famous LPs offering protection from physical harm. Also, a lady there told me the usual dos and donts - take it off before you shower, pray to Buddha before you put it back on, do not walk under the extended arms of people and do not walk under bamboo poles (clothes lining).

Mine is of the image of the Buddha, and i asked the gentleman there what was inscribed onto the back of it, and what my amulet means. He told me simply and kindly, the meaning of the amulet doesnt matter. What matters is in your heart, what is in your mind.

Similar to yantrs (Thai Buddhist tattoos), i do not see the rules as draconian that must be obeyed at all costs, the if not something bad will happen to you kind of view. I also do not believe in its magical powers. Instead, i choose to take the deeper, underlying meaning of the rules - which is to respect your body, and to follow the 5 precepts. Also when i pray, i remain wholly aware that Buddha is not a God, that he does not grant wishes (unlike the Christian/Catholic God), and that we are the only ones in power of our own lives and karma.

Yes I agree with you shoegazer. I discovered Buddhism some 25 years ago when I first came here. I studied Theravada Buddhism, not the Thai animism mix, and found it made sense to me. It is not a religion but an ethical belief system. I wear an amulet as a reminder of that belief. I cant say I am a perfect Buddhist but I do follow what makes sense to me. It helps me sleep at night knowing I have done what I feel is right.

It also provides me with the understanding that others are not lesser beings just because they dont dress, think, or behave like me.

Because they are kn*b heads and trying to show how "Thai" they are....LOL

Loool, true, or are the lucking for the "goodluck" they can get out of it :)

As far as I am concerned Thais are very hypocritical about their budhism especially the ones with cash.

Edited by likewise

Because they are kn*b heads and trying to show how "Thai" they are....LOL

That is quite a generalization! My Thai mother-in-law gave me a very large amulet with quite a heavy chain as a gift. It had belonged to her deceased husband and she felt proud to give it to her only son-in-law (American). It is a bit large for everyday wearing, but I feel obliged to wear it at special and family events. I'm proud to think she thought I was worthy enough for such an elegant gift.

As for feeling like a native, I can only say that one could do much worse.

Frankly, I think to much is made of all this.

Edited by ETC

Maybe they are just gifts from their other halves?

I know this is where mine came from. It is way bigger than I would want but I am not one to argue with the one that loves me and takes care of me so well.

I really would not want to hurt her feelings. She seemed really proud that she could give something so valuable to her. :)

I know this is where mine came from. It is way bigger than I would want but I am not one to argue with the one that loves me and takes care of me so well.

I really would not want to hurt her feelings. She seemed really proud that she could give something so valuable to her. :)

Is this your wife you're talking about or girlfriend, or nurse?

If it's you're wife, don't be a woose and tell her it's too big.

Is this your wife you're talking about or girlfriend, or nurse?

If it's you're wife, don't be a woose and tell her it's too big.

I wouldn't wear one at all if it was left to me. A chain is all I had before I met her. I didn't mean it was godawful huge, just bigger that I would have bought.

I don't think I am a wuss but I think you need some manners. :D

boo: curious as to what a 'yolay' is? maybe ill open a thread i the buddhist forum for this , its more interesting than why farangs where one or not.....

also, what amulets are for protection at sea? the same ones that people hwere in other areas or is that just in and around the ocean/islands .?

bina

israel

i wear an amulet and never take it off. there is a reason behind it. when i was staying chiang mai, i was having really bad nightmares about getting dragged out of bed by demons, often i would wake up on the floor. one day when i was sat in one of the parks and a buddist monk came up to me and said that "i have bad energy around me" in near enough perfect english, i was quite shocked at this. he took an amulet of his own neck and give it to me saying its will bring me luck and protect me, he didnt want no money just smiled and walked off. so i thought i would test it out and ever since ive never had nightmares. im not a religious man but when i take the amulet off the nightmares come back.... they creep me out big time, thats the reason why i never take it off, ive also been hit by a car and just got up with only a few scratches, i cant decide wheather im lucky or unlucky

enough said

jay

I don't wear mine much but got it as a gift from a good friend.

Do you have something against them?

I don't have anything against them. I certainly wouldn't wear one though so I am trying to see the reasoning behind it. I don't think that the argument that it is a Buddhist thing holds up, I doubt the Dali Lama has got one. It certainly is a Thai thing though

there you have it all wrapped up in a pretty package. :) it's a Thai thing...

I don't wear mine much but got it as a gift from a good friend.

Do you have something against them?

I don't have anything against them. I certainly wouldn't wear one though so I am trying to see the reasoning behind it. I don't think that the argument that it is a Buddhist thing holds up, I doubt the Dali Lama has got one. It certainly is a Thai thing though

there you have it all wrapped up in a pretty package. :) it's a Thai thing...

Yep that's what I was saying.

Edited by canuckamuck

i wear an amulet and never take it off. there is a reason behind it. when i was staying chiang mai, i was having really bad nightmares about getting dragged out of bed by demons, often i would wake up on the floor. one day when i was sat in one of the parks and a buddist monk came up to me and said that "i have bad energy around me" in near enough perfect english, i was quite shocked at this. he took an amulet of his own neck and give it to me saying its will bring me luck and protect me, he didnt want no money just smiled and walked off. so i thought i would test it out and ever since ive never had nightmares. im not a religious man but when i take the amulet off the nightmares come back.... they creep me out big time, thats the reason why i never take it off, ive also been hit by a car and just got up with only a few scratches, i cant decide wheather im lucky or unlucky

enough said

jay

Wow, you almost got me. Really nice story. Do send your script to Hollywood.

Almost the perfect example supporting my point of view.

WOW! I did not know that you needed anyone to support YOUR point of view GH :)

I don't go seeking the majority view, if I did I'd have made life easier for myself and deposited my brain at the airport on the way in.

But you've got to admit there's an example of a post on the previous page (between #161 and #169) that that is pretty good evidence in favour of my view of Westerners who wear amulets.

No names.... necessary, I've no wish to mock someone who is so very clearly afflicted.

Edited by GuestHouse

No names.... necessary, I've no wish to mock someone who is so very clearly afflicted.

Well that's exactly what you're doing. Better men than you have faith.

I don't dispute that - but then lots of people who have faith don't go parading it around on their chest.

And it's a broad church - more than one example of Westerners wearing amulets for reasons not relating to faith.

Asks again, what was it the Buddha said about putting one's faith in other people, idols and objects?

Well that's exactly what you're doing. Better men than you have faith.

I don't dispute that - but then lots of people who have faith don't go parading it around on their chest.

And it's a broad church - more than one example of Westerners wearing amulets for reasons not relating to faith.

Asks again, what was it the Buddha said about putting one's faith in other people, idols and objects?

I'd still be wearing that same amulet today if not for my foolish faith in other people, who lied and drugged me senseless with those lies before they stole it from me. Lucky me to have a new one now, which I wear with pride restored once again, and you will never find my corpse in any morgue in any Australian public hospital ever again. Here is a civilised place to die respectedly, with our beliefs as demonstrated by these amulets that we wear to our graves.