Can I Buy A Khaen In Pattaya?

simon43

Maybe I've been living in Thailand for too long, but I find the sound of the khaen (Issan mouth organ) and Lao/Morlam songs featuring this instrument very appealing.

I can already play the concertina (button box) reasonably well, and fancy applying my musical efforts to the khaen. I note there's an American called Jonny Olsen who was taught to play the khaen by a blind master teacher i Korat.

At this (total beginner) stage, I just need a basic, 16-pipe instrument (ie - 2 rows of 8 tubes),. I can then sit on our verandah and annoy the local dogs with my feeble attempts to master this instrument.

But, where does one buy a khaen in Pattaya? I recall once seeing them for sale at a temporary shop at Tesco Lotus... but have not spotted them since.

Any suggestions where to buy? I could also travel to BKK if necessary, (I remember a musical instrument shop close to Pantip Plaza, but do not recall seeing any khaens for sale).

Any suggestions are much appreciated

Simon

Rimmer - I missed the comment that you deleted! Can't imagine what on earth was said :)

The link to the Bongos thread was very interesting. Does anyone know if the Suriya Music shop on Sukhumvit Road, (Pattaya) is still in business? It's website has been suspended for lack of payment!

A couple of years ago, whilst studying at the Thai Culture course at Chula in BKK, I was lucky enough to visit (together with the other MA students), the Royal Palace for a private presentation and playing by the Royal Court Musicians. This was a real honour, and although the Khaen did not feature (more of an instrument for playing Morlam down at the Issan DaWanDaing!), it really got me interested in Thai classical and traditional music and musical instruments.

Simon

There's a music shop on Sukhumvit Rd., opposite the top of Thepprasit. I was in there the other day and they had a selection of Thai instruments in an upstairs balcony section. I'm sure they could find you a good quality khaen. As Mr Nesbitt mentioned above, you often see them in tourist souvenir shops, but you have to wonder how good they would be.

Just out of interest, does anyone know if the sessions mentioned in the Bongo-Coconut link above are still going?

Does anyone know if the Suriya Music shop on Sukhumvit Road, (Pattaya) is still in business? It's website has been suspended for lack of payment!
There's a music shop on Sukhumvit Rd., opposite the top of Thepprasit. I was in there the other day and they had a selection of Thai instruments in an upstairs balcony section.

The shop on Sukhumvit, opposite the top of Thepprasit IS Suriya Music. They've been there for years, and seem to be going strong. If they don't have what you want, I would imagine they can help you find one.

Thanks for the advice! I've purchased a khaen 8 from that music shop and started on the long road of self-tuition. I've tracked down a few resources about playing the khaen and the typical Issan/Lao music style, as well as a large number of music scores of traditional Issan songs. But first I need to master the basics!

Simon