Htc's New Releases

Tywais

Wow great. Turns out the settings under APN's had somehow got deleted, that was why it couldn't connect. I had the DTAC helpdesk help me set it up again and after that it worked again. Thanks for the pointer!

Really glad to see it wasn't a hardware failure. Anyone that is using a Desire, would be useful to see your pluses & minuses regarding it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear that your phone's Ok Phil. No idea why dialling *900 worked in my case as I can't see any connection there either, but as I said one minute I had lost GPRS and Edge and then it came back (could have been a patchy reception area I suppose but it coincided it came back just as I got the *900 message, but anyway that gives you a link to AIS's android market (which is a bit crap).

The biggest criticisms I have are that you can only install apps to the phone's memory (unless you root it) so you run out of space quickly. This is expected to be solved with Froyo Android 2.2 (although HTC may take a while to roll out the update for Froyo with HTC Sense). I have 20 something apps which is plenty.

Battery life could be better, but its not too bad if you don't leave bluetooth and wifi on all the time. This is easily done by running the power widget which comes as standard.

I too miss Thai script, I was wondering whether we might be able to get that after they launch the Desire in Thailand. If no biggie then rooting is an option, but I can live without it. I'd rather keep my phone stock if possible.

The amount of apps is limited in comparison to the iphone, but I have been able to find apps to do most of what I want so far, well except for one (voice dialling with support for my bluetooth headset - if you find one please let me know)

I love having multiple home screens and the ability to jump between them by using the so called helicopter view. Its blazing fast. I like how customisable it is.

Friendstream is good and I really like the email widget. Both were easy to set up and work flawlessly. I like being able to play Sonic the Hedgehog (emulators work great, and you wont find them on the iphone!)

Edited by quiksilva

Yeah I'm sure glad it was just a setting too. I was getting nightmares trying to explain Bangkok what was wrong with it, sending it up, having it lost in transit and such.

I think *900 depends on your provider. I'm with DTAC and didn't get anything that seemed useful.

Voice Dial for HTC Desire: There are some options listed here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=672500

Edited by Phil Conners

*900 on AIS gets you access to AIS's Android market, which is in reality little more than an RSS feed and links to other markets like slideme.org and to various developers websites, although there are a few Thai apps in there.

Thanks for the voice dial link, I'll try out some of their suggestions.

Looks like vlingo could do it, but its not available any more as it has just left beta stage and full version is about to be released

This APN thing is getting more and more mysterious. Today I again lost GPRS access - but this time the APN settings were there. Added a second APN with the exact same values except for the name of the APN setting. Then selected this new APN setting and, voila, GPRS restored.

Am I the only one with ghosts in the machine?

Edited by Phil Conners

That is strange mate, i might suggest you restore the phone to factory settings and see if the problem persists.

I have not had an iota of trouble with my handset, I use WiFi mostly, but even the GPRS when i am no where near my familiar WiFi Spots works like a charm... I set up both a GPRS and a MMS APN, had to dig around on the interweb for the settings but once it was all established, its been working fine.

That was one of the first things I tried (See post #57).

But weird it is, sure!

Its a long shot, but what Apps have you installed? Perhaps there is something screwing with your APN settings?

I am on DTAC also, here are the two APN's i have set up;

1. Name: dtac

APN: www.dtac.co.th

Proxy: not set

Port: not set

username: not set

password: not set

server: not set

MMSC: http://mms.dtac.co.th:8002

MMS Proxy: 203.170.229.34

MMS Port: 8080

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 520

MNC: 18

Auth Type: not set

APN Type: Default

2. Name: dtac mms

APN: mms

Port: not set

MMS Proxy: 203.170.229.34

MMS Port: 8080

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

APN Type: mms

I set these up manually, im not even sure the second is needed or not as it seems to only 'connect' to the first one.

Cross check these settings with yours (your on DTAC i saw) and see if there is anything different.

Let me know how you get on

These are the settings I was told to set by DTAC helpdesk (only one APN necessary)

1. Name: dtac

APN: www.dtac.co.th

Port: 9021

MMS Proxy: not set

MMS Port: not set

MMS Protocol: not set

APN Type: not set

Hey thanks for that Wolfie, thanks to your settings I managed to get my MMS service working properly on AIS, the setting they sent me were wrong!)

(AIS also told me on the phone that only one was necessary, I dont think thats accurate as I have, in the past had up to two 3 APN's from AIS (GPRS, WAP and MMS)

For those interested, at the moment I am using two APN's one for MMS and one for GPRS. (Im having problems with WAP sites so think I may I need another, will go back and check settings in my Nokia later)

I got the MMS APN working by changing the APN type from the recommended "default" (in step six of that document that AIS sent me) to "mms" and VOILA! I was finally able receive a MMS that has been bugging me for the past 24 hours. I have also sent one to the test number 990099 (this number works for all carriers)

Overall I was surprised to see that the settings I used on AIS are very similar to DTAC's (port, proxy and protocol are all the same) so Phil I strongly suggest you give using two APN's a try, it works for me too.

Edited by quiksilva

I tried adding your two entries. The second - mms - is not selectable - no tick mark. Checked mms.dtac.co.th and that doesn't exist. I think whatever got QS's mms to work wasn't the mms entry. Maybe changes to the primary entry?

I was not receiving mms' with one apn or with two , until i fixed the second mms apn by changing the apn type from default to mms.

I changed nothing else. I didnt even have to select the MMS APN to receive the picture message, only the GPRS APN was selected. In fact after setting up the mms apn you can not select it. Yet it still worked.

That picture message that I have since received was stuck in the ether, trying to download to my phone ever since yesterday afternoon.

The messages I was receiving that it could not be downloaded became VERY very annoying) but it was only by adding the second dedicated mms apn, with the APN type listed as mms) that I was able to receive that picture message at all.

Today I sent a pic using the share option to 990099 and was greeted with the great response of "Welcome to AIS mobilelife" confirming that it worked, and that my phone has been registered to use MMS!

I have also not lost Edge or GPRS connection since, not even for a short while, since making these changes. Its been very stable and I have noticed that syncing with my google calendar, all my email accounts, twitter, facebook has been much prompter, happening much more regularly.

I feel safe to say its been sorted.

Edited by quiksilva

I was not receiving mms' with one apn or with two , until i fixed the second mms apn by changing the apn type from default to mms.

I changed nothing else. I didnt even have to select the MMS APN to receive the picture message, only the GPRS APN was selected. In fact after setting up the mms apn you can not select it. Yet it still worked.

That's my experience as well.. the MMS APN is not selected, just simply being there is enough

Ive sent a couple of test MMS's and received a couple as well.. it works for me

I tried adding your two entries. The second - mms - is not selectable - no tick mark. Checked mms.dtac.co.th and that doesn't exist. I think whatever got QS's mms to work wasn't the mms entry. Maybe changes to the primary entry?

Have your APN troubles gone away? Just curious :)

So anyone having any buyers remorse with the desire ??

Seeing skypes announcement that it will be bringing a skype client with video calling to android is about the last holdout app I need to know is in the pipe..

http://www.bask1.com/index.php?lay=show&am...5&pid=63064

How was the (non bangkok) ordering process for bask1 ??

Any reason to not pull the trigger in the next few days (iPhone 4 info next week perhaps) ?? HTC Thailand selling them with more support and a Thai script very close or ??

I would really like to see one in the flesh to get a size impression, How much larger than the tattoo and relative to iPhone 3gs.. Theres no grey market sellers on Phuket are there ??

Realizing the desire has no front facing camera correct ??

With fring / skype and probably iPhone 4 vid chat I would assume that to be a must feature set that will be highly desired over the next 12 months. The EVO is a bit large for me.. So it looks like I might be playing the waiting game a bit longer.

If you read back this thread you will see my experience with non-Bangkok ordering from Bask, i.e. I did get the Dream on the day promised but the delivery wasn't without it's hiccup.

I would never buy an Iphone, it's a matter of principle. The way everything is locked up, they decide what you can install on it, etc. Too big-brother for me.

Desire has no front camera but an excellent main camera, probably the best I've seen on a mobile phone so far.

EVO is not going to work in Thailand as it's not a GSM phone.

Agree I wont be buying an iPhone.. But merely mean that video calling seems like a large feature thats time is about here with OS4 or on android skype / fring / etc and probably wont jump onto hardware that wont be able to operate that function.

Video calling is not a big deal for me, I only skype my folks in the UK and I'll do that at home on the PC. I can't see mobile video calling taking off here until 3G usage becomes much more prevalent.. besides,. Im not sure if I want to video call all the time, and even then the people i talk to most often are unlikely to upgrade for that reason alone, so i reckon I can wait on that feature for a few more years yet.

Buyer's remorse?

hmm well yes a bit, my single biggest gripe is BT voice dial which we hear should get fixed soon, if it does then Im happy.

It slim, light weight, highly customisable and feature rich. Lots of apps to choose from too. I like the email client, friendstream and the way it integrates google calendar natively into the phone.

I realize its different needs for each, and its not some dig at the desire (which I still want..) but I go through skype credit like air right now, am managing a team who all use it, and vid conference a few times per week. The ability to do that anywhere I can find a wifi point, without a laptop, would be a huge boon for travelling light for me.

Thai script support will be coming with the Android 2.2 release, which HTC will do an update for that some time in june (25th i heard)

My phone is not hacked/rooted - so its still in its 'out of the box' state. No buyers remorse with the phone, im still enjoying it, wish there were more apps available in the market place, but i guess i could get access to more if i did hack my phone and there are new apps coming almost daily. I still hold the opinion that this phone is going to be the iPhone killer.

I realize its different needs for each, and its not some dig at the desire (which I still want..) but I go through skype credit like air right now, am managing a team who all use it, and vid conference a few times per week. The ability to do that anywhere I can find a wifi point, without a laptop, would be a huge boon for travelling light for me.

Skype already have Skype for Android so it exists, but so far only for Verizon customers. Hopefully at some point when they have squeezed that lemon they will release it to a broader audience.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/...mobile/android/

EDIT: Just saw on Android Central that Skype is coming to Android Market later this year: http://www.androidcentral.com/skypes-veriz...-android-market

Edited by Phil Conners

Have your APN troubles gone away? Just curious :)

Today while in Carrefour GPRS dropped again. Luckily there is a DTAC service counter in Carrefour so I went for their rescue. The girl there immediately went for the APN settings and added proxy 203.155.200.133 and changed port to 8080 ... and that got it to come back.

Time will show if this is the definite answer or just another coincidence. (it has happened before that I changed something in the APN settings and it then started working).