Chiang Mai Immigration - Extension Of Stay

mnbcm

Has anyone been to Chiang Mai Immigration lately to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai citizen?

What kind of questions are asked when your spouse is interviewed or is there even an interview? I'm a bit concerned about "work" questions. I'm self employed in the U.S. and can work online from anywhere in the world. All income is in the U.S. I have no business relations with anyone in Thailand so I don't believe I need a business visa, but I'm always a bit concerned about questions of work.

Are these the documents required?

-Proof of Marriage from Amphur and copies

-Spouse ID card and copies

-Household Registration Book and copies

-My passport and copies

-Notarized letter from U.S. embassy proving that I have at least 40,000/baht income each month and copies

-Map showing how to get to our house and copies

-Photos of us at the house

-And more extra copies of everything.

Birth certificate if you have children. Remember you have to fill out 2 forms and have 2 copies of everything. Get there early and expect to wait all day. Two different times that I have gone I had to wait over 4 hours in total. There wasn't much of an interview there, but if you are newly married and don't have children they may come to your house in a month and interview your neighbors. Doesn't always happen but does sometimes.

It is actually easier to get the extension based on work, retirement, or education. Often the immigration officers say this upfront.

Two things. First, I've never had any real problems with Immigration in C.M., other than the obvious waiting time. And while one woman who did the interview could use a refesher course in manners, everyone else has been very polite and respectful. Try NOT to get the woman who sits at the desk by the wall in the first row. hahaha

Second:A friend of mine, who lives in the same houseing development as I do, said when he went in January they told him they were "changing things", and now they are basically doing away with the "Marriage Extension" and "converting" them to Retirement Visas. They said the next time he comes he doesn't have to bring wife, marriage certificate, etc. But I would double check this information to make sure it's correct. But it wouldn't surprise me if they did that. It would sure make things a whole lot easier. But wait, This Is Thailand, and things aren't supposed to be easy! In fact, the more complicated and problematic for the foreigners, the better the Thai authorities seem to like it. hahaha

said when he went in January they told him they were "changing things", and now they are basically doing away with the "Marriage Extension" and "converting" them to Retirement Visas.

That's going to be pretty difficult if he doesn't meet the age requirements nor the 800k. They do sometimes recommend the retirement option, if qualified, over marriage as it is easier for both them and the applicant. But can't see how they can legally force you to go one route over the other considering if the above requirements can't be met.

Two things. First, I've never had any real problems with Immigration in C.M., other than the obvious waiting time. And while one woman who did the interview could use a refesher course in manners, everyone else has been very polite and respectful. Try NOT to get the woman who sits at the desk by the wall in the first row. hahaha

Second:A friend of mine, who lives in the same houseing development as I do, said when he went in January they told him they were "changing things", and now they are basically doing away with the "Marriage Extension" and "converting" them to Retirement Visas. They said the next time he comes he doesn't have to bring wife, marriage certificate, etc. But I would double check this information to make sure it's correct. But it wouldn't surprise me if they did that. It would sure make things a whole lot easier. But wait, This Is Thailand, and things aren't supposed to be easy! In fact, the more complicated and problematic for the foreigners, the better the Thai authorities seem to like it. hahaha

Thanks for the tip on the interview. I'm pretty sure they aren't forcing anyone to retirement visas. I don't qualify anyway.

Off the topic question, I have a Student Visa and have to do a 90 day reporting soon. Is there a special counter or do I have to get a number and go through the normal queuing system?

You get a ticket at the queue dispensing machine which has a 90 day report choice. The 90 day report seems to go pretty quickly, at least my last few times I did it. But some had waits so depends on time of day and phase of the moon as to how quick. :)

Off the topic question, I have a Student Visa and have to do a 90 day reporting soon. Is there a special counter or do I have to get a number and go through the normal queuing system?

You get a ticket at the queue dispensing machine which has a 90 day report choice. The 90 day report seems to go pretty quickly, at least my last few times I did it. But some had waits so depends on time of day and phase of the moon as to how quick. :)

I went Wednesday for my student visa 90 day report. It took about 30 min. Make sure you visit the copy girl first and tell her you are doing a 90 day report. She knows what pages to copy. Get there about 8am.

Passport copies- front page (pic) current visa and the latest entry. Don't forget the departure card. First time take 2 copies of the whole thing. I have found them helpful enough. I could well understand there frustration sometimes with the mountains of paperwork they have to sort through.

You won't get the visa straight away. Takes about a month they will put an application of stay is under consideration stamp with a reporting date to come back.

Remember the 90 day rule for your address is not linked to the extension but from the time you arrived in the country.

If you have a scanner and printer I found it easier to scan in what is required and print what I need for each trip to immigration. Copies of the passport are basically the same for extension, 90 day and reentry visa.

If you have the income and over 50 it is a lot easier to do a retirement visa. In and out all in one day.

You also have to get the ticket for the extension. Have the forms filled our beforehand if you can. The people at the counter will check if you have everything required before you go inside for the interview.

Keep Smiling.

Edited by newcomer01

We have a scanner/printer, but the thing is slow, misfeeds paper and seems to eat ink catridges. The lady who runs the copy shop behind the immigration office is so quick and knowledgeable about what needs to be copied, I just show up with my passport and completed forms and she does the rest for just a few baht.

Learn your lesson never ask stupid questions just do what they want to do and you are in the clear.

This the Country of there origin and you are only guest here. so never mind how stupid it sounds to you just do it.

:)

How about not making a stupid post about never asking stupid questions. If someone wants to express their concerns/displeasure with the way some things are handled here that's there prerogative. And from where I am from, guests are treated with the respect and courtesy they deserve.

As for the marriage visa, I found out long ago that if you have the option of going with the retirement visa instead, it is by far the better route to take. Every year I renewed under the marriage visa something new popped up that made it a less than enjoyable experience. For whatever reason, I think there is a bias against people staying here long term under the marriage visa and it is no coincidence they use less than friendly females to review the initial paperwork.

This immigration crap is outrageous. Every dam_n year I have to spend sometimes as much as 4 hours total to get my visa renewed, get a re-entry visa and make a few 90 day reports in the company of so many disgruntled complaining and confused folks. And then the official wants another piece of paper, a piece of paper!!! And for more than twenty years I have had to go through that without a scanner. It is just becoming too much to ask to have to go there and spend time with those immigration police who have never once been impolite to me, often been very helpful beyond their work descriptions and only on a rare occasion in the very distant past have they confused me a very small bit over some information. Going there is disgusting like visiting old friends. I do not know how you TV people manage it and then have the will to write regular monthly threads about it.

This immigration crap is outrageous. Every dam_n year I have to spend sometimes as much as 4 hours total to get my visa renewed, get a re-entry visa and make a few 90 day reports in the company of so many disgruntled complaining and confused folks. And then the official wants another piece of paper, a piece of paper!!! And for more than twenty years I have had to go through that without a scanner. It is just becoming too much to ask to have to go there and spend time with those immigration police who have never once been impolite to me, often been very helpful beyond their work descriptions and only on a rare occasion in the very distant past have they confused me a very small bit over some information. Going there is disgusting like visiting old friends. I do not know how you TV people manage it and then have the will to write regular monthly threads about it.

Took a couple of times through your post to see that you were not griping about immigration. I agree it isn't such a big deal and they do a pretty good job. I am sure they are sometimes confused with the rule changes. Most of the changes they have allowed me to go by what I had done the previous years and to get it right the following year. The timing is just the luck of the draw on the day you go. If you live in Chiangmai the immigration office is fairly convenient to get to, albeit sometimes hard to find somewhere to park. The marriage visa is a time consuming exercise but the rules are the rules. I am sure it is just as difficult for foreigners in our own countries.

Keep smiling!

Learn your lesson never ask stupid questions just do what they want to do and you are in the clear.

This the Country of there origin and you are only guest here. so never mind how stupid it sounds to you just do it.

:)

How about not making a stupid post about never asking stupid questions. If someone wants to express their concerns/displeasure with the way some things are handled here that's there prerogative. And from where I am from, guests are treated with the respect and courtesy they deserve.

Absolutely, and my guests don't have to lodge 800,000 Baht with me - more than a large percentage of Thai's make in 10 years.

Guest....................................my aunt Fanny!!!

Quick question pertaining to the 60 day extension based on marriage at CM Immigration.

If the wife is from another province and we were legally married in CM Amphur Office and we both live here together in CM, will CM Immigration allow the 60 day extension or will we have to go to her place of origin?

Thanks,

MF

Just renewed my extension to stay based on retirement this morning. Arrived at immigration about 0730 a I was the forth person. By 0830 about forty people, an Immigration official opens up window #1 and says that the electronic queueing machine is broken and to please step up to a window. All He-ll breaks loss :) It looks like flies going for the fresh dog drooping. :D Immigration reverts back to the old log in method. It takes them a few minutes but they finally decide that window number 4 will be for retirement extension. I luck out and sign in as number one. The immigration official calls me inside before I can leave the window. Along with my 90 day report which they are now doing when you renew. I was out by 0930 and the other 4 individuals doing an extension were all inside the office and smiling. When I was leaving I saw only ten people in the seating area. Another great experince at Chiang Mai Immigration and a funny one at that. :D They have a great team.

I have to laugh a little when I read all the complaints. I would like to note the following:

1. After reading TV for many years, I feel like the experience in Chiang Mai for those of us living here is a much better experience than others get outside of Chiang Mai.

2. I dislike going to immigration, 11 years now on both marriage extensions and work extensions , like everyone else. Its a little nerving to try and anticipate if you have everything, or if they are going to ask for anything you don't have. We all go through that. Having said that, I have determined over the years to just keep informed and have everything you think they might ask for.

3. Other members have mentioned before to just not say anything. Let them tell you what they want, not volunteering anything, and talk only when they need information. Have your information organized in a folder and documents all signed. Seems like many just show up without having signed the docs or having enough copies, which caused delays when they are trying to process everything.

4. Think about it. Would you want their job. No way in hel_l. It is a thankless job, non-stop all day, with little pay as a Gov employee, and a lot of complaining people to deal with. I think any of us would be in a less than ideal mood if we had to deal with that day in and day out. I feel like Chiang Mai immigration does a pretty good job considering. If it takes a few hours once a year to get a 1 year extension in a country they like living in, its worth it. If not, everyone is free to leave at any time.

5. Lastly, I tend to feel that when your applying for your first few marriage extensions, they look a little closer, but the longer you are married, in our experience, they aren't so demanding and the extension seems to get handled quicker. That's our experience, not necessarily others.

Hope something I''ve said helps others look at the immigration process in a different light.

Recently I did my fifth one-year extension in Chiang Mai. I don't want to go into the political aspects of Thailand's immigration policy, because that's a different topic, but the CNX immigration bureau experience has always been a positive one. Definitely better than in Bangkok. The marriage visa procedure is relatively painless compared to the business visa. However, in recent times I get the impression that the office is at its capacity limit. Definitely more crowded than before.

Cheers, CMX

Wish I could say this has been as easy as others.

I arrived at the office assuming I was probably missing a document even though I've tried researching on TV.

When I went in, the lady reviewed my docs and said my picture was too small because it didn't quite cover the edges of the little square and I need more proof of employment in U.S. She wrote down what we needed and told us to come back. Fair enough.

Next day, came back. New officer doesn't like my map. I have an aerial photo with streets marked and labeled with a giant red line from immigration to my house and GPS coordinates. She pulls out a hand scribbled map of someone else and says that is what she wants. Ok... She also wants to see a rental contract.

She also complained about my proof of income form from the U.S. Embassy. She said she can't find a raised stamp on it. It's got a giant red embassy stamp and it's the correct document I got just days ago. Not sure what the issue is. I guess I have to go back to the embassy and asked for a raised stamp.

We are planning to move in a couple months. Do we need to report to the local immigration office when we move?

Do we need to report to the local immigration office when we move?

I think you need to go to Chiang Mai immigration to get them to send down your file to wherever you're going.

I extended for a year (work) earlier in the week. Turned up at 10:20, got ticket number 20, just in before lunch, out at mid-day. Everyone polite, easy process.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been to Chiang Mai immigration - 2 weeks ago I changed visas there - tourist for "O" -and was told that I could not yet apply for a retirement extension.

The young lady told me that I could only apply for this during the last month of my new "O" visa.

I have read (on Thaivisa) that it's possible, given that the money is ok, to apply for conversion to "O" visa, and retirement extension on the same day.

Somebody is incorrect.

Can anyone shed some light on this?