Unwanted At Massage Shop.

maipenrai2010

Not to seem like the whinging expat but --

I've scoured the city indulging in my favorite pastime: massages.

I've had good and bad in 99 baht and 300+ baht shops.

The best I have found only recently is in Central Festival Beach.

300 baht and very clean and quiet.

The problem with some shops, irrespective of price, is the noise amongst the masseuses. I went to a shop on Pattaya Klang today named Eden. There was only 1 other customer in the quiet room upstairs. You could hear a pin drop.

I was dozing off 15 minutes into a sensational massage when I was startled when my masseuse began speaking loudly across the room to the other masseuse. I speak fluent Thai so I asked her politely to speak quietly as there is another customer trying to relax (referring to the other customer). She did not like anyone telling her what tone to use and barked me out of the shop.

I wish this were an isolated incident but it happens so often. Massage = fun time for the masseuses while the clients are often asleep or comatose trying to unwind.

I recognise your distinct pedantic diglossia in recent transcribed posts.

Put me out of my misery: What was your previous moniker on TV?

BTW: There are enough massage shops in Pattaya to find a silent one.

:)

Next time you go, take a copy of the sentence highlighted above.........by the time you have worked out what the words are trying to convey........the massage will be over!!!!........your mind kept off the chatter.... :D

Its not clear to me how a massage worker could kick out a client without payment without losing their employment. Never hoid of such a ting.

Excellent point and I agree with you but this employee is probably in her 50s while the rest of the girls were seemingly aged 39 or less. I've often read Thais have the utmost respect for their elders which entails never questioning their actions or decisions even if they privately disagree. The massage was excellent so maybe I'll start wearing ear plugs.

I've been living in Thailand quite awhile and I'm finding this behavior more and more common. I politely request peace as the paying customer only to be mocked. This is Thailand or is this the future?

I have "sacked" a masseuse when it became clear that she did not have sufficient skill and no payment was requested even though I offered something as a courtesy. I have also asked girls to be more quiet but have never been asked to leave for doing so. I do not like it when they engage in endless chit chat.

Let's face it. These trashy shop house style massage shops that have spread like a rash all over Pattaya are not in the same league as your professional spa's and massage parlours where privacy, peace and quiet are part of the overall ambience that is integral to the true meditative massage experience. Some of the establishments even tout more than one activity, such as massage, tour ticketing, laundry and haircut. <deleted>?! The only two options I see are either outcall where the 'masseuse' doesn't have her peers to blether with or take yourself up-market. There's a helluva difference between them in quality and cost but maybe the reward from the more expensive spa's will save you from frittering away your hah-loy baht on these fake, noisy places.

My advice: Just stay away altogether.

If Thailand trains, licenses and regulates her masseuses like she does her drivers and amusement parks, you have a lot to worry about: neck trauma, strained ligaments, and the whole gamut of skeletal-muscle injuries which would make a chiropractor drool.

^ Agreed! There's this dangerous farang misconception that all Thai are somehow blessed with the ability to render a good therapeutic massage. That's like assuming that all Polish plumbers or Korean mechanics are good... any massage shop that sells noodles and tickets to Tiffany's on the side probably isn't qualified to do that either!

(oops, grammar!)

Edited by NanLaew