Tiger Woods To Return To Buddhist Roots Learned From Thai Mother

webfact

A humbled Tiger takes a promising first step during televised appearance

Tiger Woods took an important step Friday.

Woods apologized in his first public appearance since Thanksgiving, when he crashed his SUV into a tree in his gated community in Florida and sparked one of the most dramatic falls from grace of any professional athlete.

The world's top-ranked golfer seemed contrite and sincere and admitted he was "selfish" in having extramarital affairs in a 13-minute prepared speech.

Woods' camp granted just three reporters access to the room, but they weren't allowed to ask questions at TPC Sawgrass in Florida.

Live coverage, however, filtered Woods' words into homes and offices and cars around the world.

Woods undeniably was humbled. We've never seen him like this.

He didn't just admit infidelities. Woods made it clear he was wrong and he intends to become a better person.

"I thought I could get away with whatever I wanted to," said Woods, who seemed on the verge of tears.

"I felt that I had worked hard my entire life and deserved to enjoy all the temptations around me.

I felt I was entitled. Thanks to money and fame, I didn't have to go far to find them.

"I was wrong. I was foolish. I don't get to play by different rules."

When Woods, wearing a blue blazer and blue button-down shirt sans tie, said "I'm sorry," he paused and looked directly into the camera as if on cue.

He didn't cry, but he was on the verge of tears. When he finished reading, he and his mom, Kultida,

shared a long embrace, and Woods hugged and shook the hands of colleagues and friends in the front row, then left the room.

And it appeared he wiped away tears.

Woods gave no insight into when he'll return to golf, the scope of his affairs or the state of his marriage. Woods' wife, Elin, was noticeably absent.

Woods should've been open about why he's in therapy. It has been three months, and he still can't come clean?

Does he have an addiction to painkillers or sex? Are he and his wife staying married? Does he think he can ever rebuild his image?

How exactly had he let his life spin so out of control while playing the best golf in the world?

Not taking questions is another reminder of the control Woods craves.

He's simply feeding the monster of secrecy, which makes you wonder what else he's hiding in that closet.

Why not speak from the heart? We don't need every juicy detail, but we need the truth.

We already have enough from the parade of women who have provided anecdotes and text messages and voicemails and such.

Golf fans of all ages bought his polo shirts and golf clubs and the squeaky clean image that came with it.

They were duped, and Woods needs to answer to the people that made him the first billion-dollar athlete.

We need to hear Woods speak from his heart, not a prepared speech he went over in his head a million times.

He went to Stanford. He's an intelligent man, not a robot, and we need to see the unfiltered Woods.

"I do plan to return to golf one day, I just don't know when that day will be," Woods said. "I don't rule out that it will be this year.

When I do return, I need to make my behavior more respectful of the game."

Woods' anger on the golf course - he has thrown clubs and cursed during rounds - once seemingly was his only flaw.

But Woods became the cover boy for gossip magazines and the butt of jokes on late-night television.

He was dropped by sponsors AT&T and Accenture, although Nike has supported him throughout the scandal.

Woods said he'll return to treatment and therapy today and that he has "a long way to go."

"Only three months ago, he was probably the most popular man in America and the world," said TJ Walker, the CEO of Media Training Worldwide, a media training and crisis communications company.

"His approval ratings were astronomical.

In a very short period of time, his approval ratings were about three-fourths above the Unabomber's."

Walker graded Woods' speech a B+.

He said he thought Woods would've come off more sincere by using an outline instead of reading from a statement.

"He came across contrite and had the right tone and seemed sincere," Walker said. "This wasn't a non-apology-apology.

It was very specific to specific groups - his wife, kids, family, friends, fans and sponsors. He was very specific in what he was apologizing for.

He seemed sincere. He didn't make excuses."

Woods said he has been in therapy for 45 days. He was on hiatus for one week to visit with his two young children, Sam and Charlie.

The Associated Press, citing sources, said he didn't spend time with his wife.

"I was unfaithful," Woods said. "I had affairs. I cheated."

Woods said he'll return to his Buddhist roots that his mother, who is from Thailand, taught him.

Woods' anger was palpable when he denied reports Elin hit him with a golf club or that he used performance-enhancing drugs.

He made it clear he won't go into details about his affair and those are discussions he will have with Elin.

"As Elin pointed out to me, my real apology to her will not come in the form of words," Woods said.

"It will come in the form of my behavior over time."

He also was visibly angered when asking the media to leave his wife and family alone.

Woods will have to live under the microscope everywhere he goes now.

It appears he has started on the path to restoring his billion-dollar image, marriage and career.

Woods wasn't completely forthcoming. We need the truth. We need heartfelt answers to tough questions.

This wasn't enough, but it was a good first step.

Source: Agencies 2010-02-20

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tiger Woods continues in the Thai vein of treating women as pieces of meat/chattel/ego boosters whilst voicing the right words to look good. Thai Buddhism as its best. Learnt it all from his mother.

Edited by Briggsy

A clear cynical move to protect his obscene money flow. I would have respected him much more if he had said, this is a private matter between me and my wife, and if sponsors don't like it, they are free to drop their contracts. Then just play golf, which is all he is about anyway. I am sure some sponsors would still like him, such as condom manufacturers, etc. His apology was sickening and totally fake. He is a fake man, the real Tiger is a real Tiger. He is too chicken to be out about it. Tiger, drop the good little adult boy farce. That act is cracked. Nobody believes that lie anymore, especially his wife. Go with a golfing Hugh Heffner instead.

Edited by Jingthing

Certainly it's his sponsor selling agent telling him he MUST bite the big humble pie

if he wants the big money back in hypocritical protestant USA.

In most any other non-muslim country this is a non-story, even at his level.

If he was a basketball player his stock would not be sinking,

it was the mistake of marketing him as too clean and the

inevitable backlash when he's just normal... in abnormal circumstances.

And believe me he has had many thousands of opportunities for sex he has walked away from.

He is a handsome super star and maybe panties don't get thrown on the putting greens,

like Tom Jones gets at concerts, he still gets more than enough second hotel room keys

slipped in his hand, that he just bins.

But with the candy store coming to you and not you to the store,

it's illogical that any healthy male of his age is such a sainted martyr to PCdom that

he turns them all down 24/7 for 10 years.

So cynical? No, a prudent business decision certainly, and a HARD one to do too.

He is being forced by a legion of vested interests to make a SHOW of cleaning up his act.

He must grovel and go on the cross as a sinner or he gets no forgiveness.

And 'forgiveness' means the cash cow eventually starts up, and not just for Tiger,

but a whole raft of subordinate players, who eat and feed their families from Tigers

marketing and sales package.

As the say "It's Just Business." Tiger is a brand and brands get damaged.

He is doing mandatory damage control as any business would.

But like the lady said in Hobsons Choice: " This is a business in the form of a man."

"Only three months ago, he was probably the most popular man in America and the world,"

I do find the whole story and the way he is pursued and hounded

as the more cynical exercise in modern public life. A disgusting spectacle.

If he were JUST in Thailand would it make ANY difference. Nope.

Edited by animatic

He is just doing the expected " thing" in the society he lives in, and nobody believes it, but he is just going through the motions of what people would like to see.

It would have been more honest to say" <deleted> of, it is non of your business.

The whole thing is a non story. The man makes big money by hitting a little white ball around. Who cares what else he does. The idea that his lack of Budism is at fault is a complete joke, its obvious he had a lack of anything but a big case of the horn dog going on. It least they didn't work on his staff, at least I don't recall any did. Two of them wanted money to lay low about a tape. Now that is a story about crime and extortion.

PS by staff I mean in his office or under or well you know what I mean.

Edited by RKASA

He is just doing the expected " thing" in the society he lives in, and nobody believes it, but he is just going through the motions of what people would like to see.

It would have been more honest to say" <deleted> of, it is non of your business.

And who on this forum if they had reached the dizzy heights that Tiger Woods reached would refuse all the trappings that come with wealth and celebrity status. I for one would milk it to the max. At least I am honest.

You know - he has enough money to refuse sponsor's -AND it would be a great career move - imagine - leading golfer REFUSES sponsors - sponsors would shit themselves - instead he plays - "for the game"

He could do that for a few years - eventually the sponsors would be beside themselves - offering him all sorts of $'s to get him back into the fold - he wouldn't loose a penny - in fact I think - if planned right - he'd make more.

What a dickless

I wonder what he name of his night club in Pattaya will be?

don't understand hy his sponsers dropped. him. unless his olf was bad. anyway. apperently his mum is from Pattaya and his dad was a yankie and they meet during the Vietnam war when his farther was stationed at Utdapal airport.

i don't know why they covered this up and said that his mum was from hawaii

The whole thing is a non story. The man makes big money by hitting a little white ball around. Who cares what else he does. The idea that his lack of Budism is at fault is a complete joke, its obvious he had a lack of anything but a big case of the horn dog going on. It least they didn't work on his staff, at least I don't recall any did. Two of them wanted money to lay low about a tape. Now that is a story about crime and extortion.

PS by staff I mean in his office or under or well you know what I mean.

good point. maybe they are going to get devorced. so he needs all the money he can get if his wife is going to take half. that was an expensive ride in that car. hope she was worth it. wow !

Personally I don't see what all the media fuss is about. Yeah, his wife must be p1ssed at him but as for the rest of us, the majority I know (including myself) don't give a hoot. He's so good at what he does the sponsors will be clamouring back once he picks up his Driver again and wins a Masters.

I think what Kate Moss did was more harmfull (career wise). But she bounced back mainly unscathed.

I wish that an American explain me ?

What is this need for American to talk about sexual matters publicaly ?

French still can't understand why Clinton had to talk about Monica's job !

Is it just because these people still want to have sponsors / be elected, or any other money matter ?

Why a billionaire as Woods need to tell anything when he could just say nothing and keep being the best golf player in history (and just show his finger to all the envious ones!) ?

Thanks for explanations.

Is it just because these people still want to have sponsors / be elected, or any other money matter ?

Why a billionaire as Woods need to tell anything when he could just say nothing and keep being the best golf player in history (and just show his finger to all the envious ones!) ?

Thanks for explanations.

Good point. Wish I had an answer. I guess people here like building people up so they can watch them fail. Thinking about it, who really cares what he does in his own time?

Seriously, your post has changed my opinion about the whole thing.

And who on this forum if they had reached the dizzy heights that Tiger Woods reached would refuse all the trappings that come with wealth and celebrity status. I for one would milk it to the max. At least I am honest.

I have asked a few Thai friends I know what they think about Tiger's behaviour and not one of them have an issue with it, for one they say what he does is his business and not ours and at the end of the day he played away (isnt that why Buddah gave Thailand soapies with curtains to hide the car), so what? he probably still loves his wife Maybe we could learn from the Thais and give the guy a break I for one am envious of what he can do, both on and off the green!

Thanks for explanations.

I am American and I can't agree with you more.

It was idiotic the whole Clinton thing.

Especially if compared to Mitterrand's decades old liaison, with child,

that was respectfully left as his private business, until the unknown daughter came to his funeral.

We have a under current of protestant anti-sex views, denial of your urges is good, in theory

and so sex is a great taboo, and most like to break taboos, but if you get caught,

then you are made to suffer penance. Philosophical descendants of

the Puritains, the Luther inspired Hughenouts, and wandering Flagellots.

America as a culture can't go and say 3 hail Marys and get a pass.

In the public sphere even the Catholics can't go to confession in church and get a pass,

that confession MUST be public and for all to see. After Kennedy and Marylin Monroe the gloves came off.

If you look at the far right wingnuts who kept G.W.Bush in office for so long,

and attacked Clinton for his whole two terms,

you will see a very organized evangelical church led element wanting to essentially

create a 'Christian Talaban State equivalent', for lack of a better simile,

and they hold much sway over how politicians must act, and want to have much control

over how people can think and what they can see and read. We must act like they want us to or they get upset.

Too many of these people would say nothing if Osama Bin Laden was an arch conservative Christian

doing much the same things as long as their tax dollars don't pay for it.

So this 'market segment' wields enough organizational clout to harm a large company.

Nike couldn't care less, many of their biggest customers think Tiger is cooler for getting some,

like their other sports idols are noted for. But the more wide based AT&T and Accenture and others

are marketed to many older and more old school conservatives, and face it if 14% of your market

thinks you are supporting adultery, debaucher, anti-family values and the break up of homes,

by supporting one sports guy who succumbed to constant temptation... they act on it.

Well these people think they don't give into temptations... so expect others not to.

They are just as fallible and human as Tiger, but their hypocrisies run deeper.

The companies HAVE to look at the bottom line.

It's not really as simple as all this, but this is some of the main elements.

I lived in France and I can say the french take on couples and privacy for those public life

is much more balanced and reasonable. So Tiger is getting hit with an economic cudgle,

but one based on cultural and religeo/philosophical prejudices.

Add to that a hungry press liking to kick anyone down a notch for ratings and it is deplorable.

Next you will get a opposing view and I will be labeled a knee jerk liberal scab or some such...

which will perfectly make my point for me. Institutionalized intolerance to diversity,

in a land known for its diversity... go figure.

I too wish Tiger would blow off the cash cow for a bit, not give the finger,

but stop reacting to the provocations. Then quietly go back to golf and win so much,

the sponsors WILL come back, as suggested above.

Even total slut basketball players with 1,000s of women in the wakes still get sponsor ship deals.

They just weren't marketed as an unusually square, clean cut, and wholesome FANTASY FIGURE.

Edited by animatic

Thanks for explanations.

I am American and I can't agree with you more.

It was idiotic the whole Clinton thing.

Especially if compared to Mitterrand's decades old liaison, with child,

that was respectfully left as his private business, until the unknown daughter came to his funeral.

We have a under current of protestant anti-sex views, denial of your urges is good, in theory

and so sex is a great taboo, and most like to break taboos, but if you get caught,

then you are made to suffer penance. Philosophical descendants of

the Puritains, the Luther inspired Hughenouts, and wandering Flagellots.

America as a culture can't go and say 3 hail Marys and get a pass.

In the public sphere even the Catholics can't go to confession in church and get a pass,

that confession MUST be public and for all to see. After Kennedy and Marylin Monroe the gloves came off.

If you look at the far right wingnuts who kept G.W.Bush in office for so long,

and attacked Clinton for his whole two terms,

you will see a very organized evangelical church led element wanting to essentially

create a 'Christian Talaban State equivalent', for lack of a better simile,

and they hold much sway over how politicians must act, and want to have much control

over how people can think and what they can see and read. We must act like they want us to or they get upset.

Too many of these people would say nothing if Osama Bin Laden was an arch conservative Christian

doing much the same things as long as their tax dollars don't pay for it.

So this 'market segment' wields enough organizational clout to harm a large company.

Nike couldn't care less, many of their biggest customers think Tiger is cooler for getting some,

like their other sports idols are noted for. But the more wide based AT&T and Accenture and others

are marketed to many older and more old school conservatives, and face it if 14% of your market

thinks you are supporting adultery, debaucher, anti-family values and the break up of homes,

by supporting one sports guy who succumbed to constant temptation... they act on it.

Well these people think they don't give into temptations... so expect others not to.

They are just as fallible and human as Tiger, but their hypocrisies run deeper.

The companies HAVE to look at the bottom line.

It's not really as simple as all this, but this is some of the main elements.

I lived in France and I can say the french take on couples and privacy for those public life

is much more balanced and reasonable. So Tiger is getting hit with an economic cudgle,

but one based on cultural and religeo/philosophical prejudices.

Add to that a hungry press liking to kick anyone down a notch for ratings and it is deplorable.

Next you will get a opposing view and I will be labeled a knee jerk liberal scab or some such...

which will perfectly make my point for me. Institutionalized intolerance to diversity,

in a land known for its diversity... go figure.

I too wish Tiger would blow off the cash cow for a bit, not give the finger,

but stop reacting to the provocations. Then quietly go back to golf and win so much,

the sponsors WILL come back, as suggested above.

Even total slut basketball players with 1,000s of women in the wakes still get sponsor ship deals.

They just weren't marketed as an unusually square, clean cut, and wholesome FANTASY FIGURE.

You really can't bring Clinton in to this as any type of example.

What Tiger did is not even in the same ball park. The number of women is not the point but what he did or didn't do that counts. He never broke the law that we can see, and that is why I think it is a non story for Tiger, but

Clinton is not about Monica or sex. It was about a public employee that sued him for exposing himself to her. i.e. a crime that most people become reg as sex offenders for. Then not being honest about Monica under oath and to the people. Its really not about sex at all. It was the left that wishes you to believe that it was a simple issue of sex and not a big deal.

Nobody cares who Clinton does even in the oval office, but they do care about others not getting their day in court because some feel they are above the law. It may sound familiar here in Thailand.. i.e. Thaksin In fact what Clinton did do and paid 5 million dollars for is 1000 times worse then anything Thaksin has been yet convicted of.

If your a leftwing nut case you may have been brainwashed into not even recalling the real issue. It is not in there talking points, but long winded claims of vest right wing motive mostly put forward by Mrs. Clinton herself still run around in spite of his having lost the case.

Tiger has a private issue and no one yet is suing him for a sexual assault.

Apples and Oranges

not even near the great jack nicklaus, and never will be!

he may win more majors one day and surpass the golden bear, but in my eyes will always be half the man/boy.

hes a spoilt, jumped up little arrogant brat, that not only needs a lesson in how to carry himself on a golf course, but also in the outside world.

as for the comments about buddhism and what his mother taught him. the answer is NOTHING. when was the last time his mother, let alone himself even acknowledged the fact that buddhism or thailand even played an important part in their lives. as one poster correctly stated a few years back he passed up the oppotunity to become a thai citizen from no other than the king himself.

i bet though if like in australia last year, the sponsers of the johnny walker classic in phuket where to offer him a million dollars in appearance fee. hed be on a thai airways flight faster than you could say "smooth as silk"

god i can see it now, but hope i never have to in my life time. him lifting the claret jug, the crocodile tears rolling down his cheeks. and the speech about how much he owes his success to his rock of a wife, the inspiration from his mother, dad looking down on him from heaven, and how much being a buddhist has helped him over come his mistakes to get him to the point of winning a major again. :)

Thanks for explanations.

I'm an American and I don't understand that... It isn't anybody's business but the individuals involved...

Thank you Animatic and others.

What sounds also crazy for me is that someone who likes women will like them forever, so Tiger will do it again for sure, so he should have said nothing or the next time he will be caught the situation will be worst ! (lying again)

Anyway, it's ok, I guess he couldn't be a black president, as you already have your quota now :-) (will the next one be of Spanish origin or Asian ?)

Cheers.