North Pattaya Vs. Jomtien

californiabeachboy

I wish elitist types with such non inclusive attitudes would stay in Phuket. Time to vomit.

I wish the Benidorm crowd had just stayed in spain.

Ha ha. Pattaya will remain a crazy quilt, the baht buses are here to stay, thank you very much.

Info: I live in Naklua and fortunately my employer provides me a driver for work; however, I could afford a car and drive around Pattaya or around Thailand but I choose not to. I don't want the hassle of parking and the fear of running into a motorbike (drunk tourists and careless motorbike drivers). Since I am single it is easy for me to walk down a soi and catch a "baht bus" to where I want to go (Central, to the gym, Jomtien Beach...) and not having to wait for anyone. I know of eight co-workers that have motorbikes and YES they have all been in accidents and with driving- it can (note, I didn't say always) be a hassle when you get in an accident. For me I can do without the wheels. Walking keeps me fit.

Naklua beach area is more quiet than Jomtien If you are looking for an apartment ON THE BEACH around 20,000 baht a month, then you should try a studio at Siam Penthouse down on soi 16 (a long walk to Naklua-Pattaya Rd.) Meanwhile there is Park Beach Condo, Silver Beach Condo, and Sky Beach condo that have studios around 25,000 baht or more facing the sea. Summer is the best time to "catch" these empty studios, not peak season.

I agree with the suggestion to rent a place for a couple weeks in Jomtien and then in Naklua to see what you like, but if you want to be facing the sea...on the beach, I think Naklua is the best place.

Edited by chillibilly

• 3 weeks later...

As I have just returned from my visit to the Pattaya, area, and as the original poster. I thought I would share my opinions, having visited both Jomtien and North Pattaya (NaKlua):

I preferred Naklua, as it seemed to have more of a village aspect to it - okay beach, a lot of markets and restaurants, old stately homes. I took the tuk tuk down to Jomtien, and while the long beach is nice, to quote Gertrude Stein, there was no "there" there. It seemed to me just a strip of construction. I didn't see any markets, but maybe because I only stayed on the beach road. I think Jomtien is a few years away from becoming a place to stay for more than a few days. Just my thoughts. Cheers.

As I have just returned from my visit to the Pattaya, area, and as the original poster. I thought I would share my opinions, having visited both Jomtien and North Pattaya (NaKlua):

I preferred Naklua, as it seemed to have more of a village aspect to it - okay beach, a lot of markets and restaurants, old stately homes. I took the tuk tuk down to Jomtien, and while the long beach is nice, to quote Gertrude Stein, there was no "there" there. It seemed to me just a strip of construction. I didn't see any markets, but maybe because I only stayed on the beach road. I think Jomtien is a few years away from becoming a place to stay for more than a few days. Just my thoughts. Cheers.

I think you have made the correct choice, and I agree withy your assessment completely. Except that I do not expect that Jomtien will be more suitable for a long stay in a few years, if anything it will be worse. It is (and I think always be) focused on short term tourists, and looks and very much feels that way. Naklua (north of soi 16) and Wongamat, on the other had, have a feel of permanence with more than the "crappy" touristy places and hotels, and that endless sea of beach umbrellas. Look at the upscale condos, all are being developed in the Wongamat area -- not in Jomtien. If you go further south from Jomtien, to say Sattihip or Bang Saray, you can find a peaceful and residential feeling environment, but also very quiet (perhaps too quiet for some), but that may becoming a place to stay long term in a few years (for many it is already there). There are many nice places to stay long term in the Pattaya area, but Pattaya city and Jomtien are not among them, unless you are a single male and plan to be in the bars every afternoon and evening and do not mind being inundated unavoidably with the rather unsavory tourist population and the locals that prey on them. Cheers,

Good choice I think.

Naklua is a nice place, Jomtien a distant 3rd. Jomtien is completely overfilled by Thais on every weekend/holiday. No that I mind Thais but the traffic is just too much on those days.

Banglamung town which roughly starts at the end of Naklua road have cheap shopping for many things and a good fish market too.

Off topic: I have a car here, but agree with others posters too much traffic to enjoy, only use the tin box for shopping as I have a kid. Normally using the little bike to get around on.

Look at the upscale condos, all are being developed in the Wongamat area -- not in Jomtien. If you go further south from Jomtien, to say Sattihip or Bang Saray, you can find a peaceful and residential feeling environment, but also very quiet (perhaps too quiet for some), but that may becoming a place to stay long term in a few years (for many it is already there). There are many nice places to stay long term in the Pattaya area, but Pattaya city and Jomtien are not among them, unless you are a single male and plan to be in the bars every afternoon and evening and do not mind being inundated unavoidably with the rather unsavory tourist population and the locals that prey on them. Cheers,

but but but dont we have the Ocean one towering soon over Jomtien?

High priced Developments probably in Naklua so that the HiSo Thai can reach it easier from Bangkok and upcountry. No need to stand for one more hour in the traffic jam till they are in Jomtien.

The there theres in Jomtien are Dongtan Beach and the trendy and the local seafood beach restaurants far down Jomtien beach road (doubtful the OP went there). Maybe someday Jomtien Complex will develop to be a more there there, but not quite there yet. There is also an excellent and growing local fresh food market area a few minutes walk down Soi 5 past immigration.

Edited by Jingthing

The there theres in Jomtien are Dongtan Beach and the trendy and the local seafood beach restaurants far down Jomtien beach road (doubtful the OP went there). Maybe someday Jomtien Complex will develop to be a more there there, but not quite there yet. There is also an excellent and growing local fresh food market area a few minutes walk down Soi 5 past immigration.

No one suggested that Jomtien wasn't a place worth visiting on occasion, just not a place to live long term, especially if you have a family. Based on reviews in this forum, I am anxious to try the Ritz Cafe, among others and the seafood restaurant at the very end of Jomtien is worth eating at if you are in that area. But you can easily go to these places without becoming a permanent resident, which given the rest of what is there (and isn't there) is highly recommended (not becoming a resident, that is).

I visit Jomtien and Pattaya with the wife and kids almost every year, so I see how it changes from each the visit to the next. We stay near the market you mentioned Jt seems to improve every visit and there is quite a good selection.

I wish the road would get sorted to Pattaya, it must have been going for years now. I would'nt like to have to travel it everyday, then again I suppose you just get used it.

I,m reluctant to tell you where we stay but its near the market.

Russian tourists are in every nook and cranny in Pattaya area - not just in Jomtien. They are thick in the soi 16 Wongamat area around Long Beach Hotel. This area is now called "mini-Moscow" by the older expats who have lived there for a long time. There is even an Eastern Orthodox church there.

Wongamat Beach will be quiet during the low season (mid-March through mid-October). The nice thing about the area is that it is only a few minutes to the village town of Naklua that has family runned shops (electric; hardware; clothes; kitchen;lumber; curtain; furniture; watch repair; post office...) and a couple nice outdoor local markets. It is a "real" town, not a sleazy group of bars/tailor shops/ "massage" parlors which have sprung up in Jomtien. Naklua already existed before Pattaya became a massive tourist ghetto.

Russian tourists are in every nook and cranny in Pattaya area - not just in Jomtien. They are thick in the soi 16 Wongamat area around Long Beach Hotel. This area is now called "mini-Moscow" by the older expats who have lived there for a long time. There is even an Eastern Orthodox church there.

Wongamat Beach will be quiet during the low season (mid-March through mid-October). The nice thing about the area is that it is only a few minutes to the village town of Naklua that has family runned shops (electric; hardware; clothes; kitchen;lumber; curtain; furniture; watch repair; post office...) and a couple nice outdoor local markets. It is a "real" town, not a sleazy group of bars/tailor shops/ "massage" parlors which have sprung up in Jomtien. Naklua already existed before Pattaya became a massive tourist ghetto.

You are correct in every respect. But the tourists that are attracted to the Wongamat area (Russian, European, American, etc.) are generally (not to say completely) more interested in enjoying the beach and the food, and not causing (or getting into) trouble, which is not the case in Pattaya city and Jomtien (of the two, perhaps worse in Pattaya city). I have never observed any trouble at Wongamat (that certainly is not the case in Pattaya city or Jomtien), but only pleasant and friendly people (most often in families) and smiling faces, which people from any country or ethic background should be welcomed. I hope you agree.

Bottom line for me. Naklua is WAY too German for my tastes. Demographics do make a difference in choosing where you live. I know many people don't like Jomtien because it is too gay for them. These things make a difference, pro or con, PC or not PC.

Bottom line for me. Naklua is WAY too German for my tastes. Demographics do make a difference in choosing where you live. I know many people don't like Jomtien because it is too gay for them. These things make a difference, pro or con, PC or not PC.

To a significant extent, I agree -- demographics do matter. I "prefer" being around people that speak English because it allows me (and them) to communicate with each other more easily and openly. Frankly, I care more about educational background and social attitudes among my neighbors (for which housing price is the best selection process I know, since it suggests higher income derived from higher education and skills, which selection doesn't work here where a B20 million mansion is right next to a B1 million "shack"). But you cannot control demographics, especially in a place like Pattaya and in a rapidly changing world. An area today will be predominately British/English speaking and relatively quickly it will become heavily Easten European/Russian influenced (where were the Russians 5 years ago?). Unless you want to move around pretty frequently, you (read as "I") cannot let these kinds of changes affect your choices or life style decisions in Pattaya or Thailand more generally. You're very lucky if you have good people as neighbors regardless of where in the world they have come from. And in any event as you go north on Naklua, the German influence dissipates pretty quickly I think.

naklua ( north pattaya ) is in my view far better, nice beaches at wongamat only 1 kilo from main nakla rd, also has pattaya beach not the best but good for a morning run, i ran from naklua down pattaya beach and back every morning ,naklua has a thai food training school just up from the dolphin roundabout near fairtex gym and hotel , naklua is also going to be quicker for you if you do regular runs to bkk. too many russians in jomtien , then again too many Germans in naklua :) no offence :D