Anyone Been To "splash Jungle" In Mai Khao, Any Good?

Sunseasand69

Hi, new to this forum but been in Phuket a while... out having a drive the other day and noticed a water-park in Mai Khao, has anyone been there? Is it worth a visit?

I was only saying the other day that someone should build a decent water-park here, I haven't seen it advertised anywhere or heard about it before so I guess it's fairly new?

Any other ideas for a young family to have a fun day out in Phuket would be welcome - the zoo and aquarium are wearing a bit thin!

No, I wasn't very impressed at all. A very small and sterile area and you get bored after an hour or so (even the kids). The entrance fee is about THB 1,800 for an adult and about 1,100 for a kid (incl. transfers). Food and beverages inside the park will cost you an arm and a leg. Most items on the menu between 300-400 THB ++. A beer 150++. I will not go again and find the location somewhat strange, right next to the airport with roaring planes taking off every few minutes. I wonder who wants to buy a condo in that location ? Very few visitors and this was even a Sunday a few weeks back.

Another park will open in Kathu in April. It will be interesting to see if they will repeat the same mistakes or not.

Splash Jungle Entrance Rates:Published Rate THB 2000 ++

Introductory Rates valid 30 January until 30 April 2010

Two-way transfers available on a complimentary basis

•Adults THB 1795++

•Children 1050++ (Height 100-130cm/Complimentary under 100 cm)

•Travel Trade THB 1500++

•Thai Residents THB 1500++

Rates are in Thai Baht and are subject to 10% service charge and 7% VAT. Rates are subject to change.

I will never go, and here is why:

Raging Waters in California is bigger and has more slides, and it is only 989B per adult.

Waterworks California about the same size, and is only 627B for adults

WaterWorld California is bigger and has more slides, and is only 1055B for adults and for only 1980B gets you an adult session pass that lets you go as many times as I want for the whole session.

It says it all when you can get a SESSION PASS to any water park in California for cheaper than Phuket daily ticket fee. Phuket once again is far overpriced when compared with the rest of the world.

Also with California for example you don't have to worry about Life guard competency, slide maintenance, general upkeep, due to state regulations.

Why would someone come here, pay more for a smaller venue, and also have to worry about competency/upkeep? I wouldn't. Its not like Thailand as a good track record when comes to park accidents.

I will never go, and here is why:

Raging Waters in California is bigger and has more slides, and it is only 989B per adult.

Waterworks California about the same size, and is only 627B for adults

WaterWorld California is bigger and has more slides, and is only 1055B for adults and for only 1980B gets you an adult session pass that lets you go as many times as I want for the whole session.

It says it all when you can get a SESSION PASS to any water park in California for cheaper than Phuket daily ticket fee. Phuket once again is far overpriced when compared with the rest of the world.

Also with California for example you don't have to worry about Life guard competency, slide maintenance, general upkeep, due to state regulations.

Why would someone come here, pay more for a smaller venue, and also have to worry about competency/upkeep? I wouldn't. Its not like Thailand as a good track record when comes to park accidents.

I bet those water parks also didn't ruin pristine beach front land.

Err, for the "smiles"?

To bad the only one smiling in the money/ticket exchange is the owners of the park. :)

A water park priced as in the west on an island with the ocean and swimming pools all around, and a tropical climate seems to be a very good idea! :D

Personally I see a water park at best as a copy of the real thing and when no other choice is available and the children scream for swimming/playing in the water I reluctantly go with on a grey, cool autumn day when in Europe.

Here, no way whatever price a water park charge. The experience and respect the children get from playing in, on and somewhat under the water at the Beaches here is the best life learning a child can get when it comes to get accustomed to the ocean.

On another note the local Government in Phuket have in my opinion long ago lost the perspective on what’s needed here.

I don’t remember which was first of the "huge success" Phuket Gateway and the construction of the new Chat chai checkpoint. ( BTW, I have never been checked at the new point, but always got stopped at the old one, go figure) Anyway both cut a big hole in the area and roads are now laying unused.

On the top of that they allow one after another mega project to be opened, constructing more roads, allow encroachment and devastation of land all over the island and at the same time saying they have to protect the environment with charging for plastic bags!

Hallelujah. :)

I wonder why they don't offer longterm passes (Like month or 6mo )

Prob get a lot more expats or even Thais to come with a discounted longterm pass.

I have a bunch of younger friends (avg age 25) here for 6mo+ who will prob check it out once at the current ridiculous rates but 1/2 of them would likely buy a season pass and go many times instead of just the once.

Here in Hong Kong we have a great park,www.oceanpark.com.hk/html/en/home/ ,spread out over many acres of some of the most expensive land in the world.

Entry fee HK$250=TB 1040

How Jungle can charge that entry fee in what is still pretty much a third world country is mind boggling.

I seriously doubt the one in Kathu will open in April.

April no, but probably mid summer..

They are working on it but seems slow progress.

Where in Kathu?

The water park in Bali is great, right downtown and huge. Thats what Phuket needs

ON another note it seems they have started working on the road between Kathu and Kamala over the mtns.

Its between the country club and the caltex / go cart road.. One road north from the Bang Wad dam access road..

There was a lot of building activity over Nov / Dec.. Looked to move swiftly.. Large buildings going up etc, but either the work is more behind the scenes or its slowed down a lot in Feb. As a casual observer little has happened in recent weeks from my vantage point.

Its between the country club and the caltex / go cart road.. One road north from the Bang Wad dam access road..

There was a lot of building activity over Nov / Dec.. Looked to move swiftly.. Large buildings going up etc, but either the work is more behind the scenes or its slowed down a lot in Feb. As a casual observer little has happened in recent weeks from my vantage point.

The money flow from overseas has stopped, hence the lack of any continuing work.

If you go up the main access road to Bang Wad dam, not the one through the golf course, turn right at the concrete plant, the project is several hundred metres along the narrow pot holed soi.

We don't know yet whether "Splash" is a viable business venture or not -- but I agree with most of the posts here that are skeptical.

It seems that, a while back, a number of deep-pocket investors decided to market Phuket as a holiday destination for the glboal millionaire class.

Thus, there are gated neighborhoods of million-dollar villas, 5-star resort & spa establishments, the Premium Outlet high-end mall, marinas for yachts, the expensive golf courses, and out-of-reach recreation like Splash J.

When cruising these places, as I do periodically, it is noteworthy how lifeless they are. As if a neutron bomb had been dropped on Phuket --leaving the buildings and boats standing but killing all the people who might use them.

Yes and now: "A new marketing strategy is now in place."

I wonder why.

You'd think a company that spent that kind of money to build something like this would have a business consultant to define prices.

Wouldn't it be a much better idea to make it affordable to all and then, once it gets popular (and crowded) slightly raise your prices?

Anyway, that's how I run my company.

I learned a few sales slogans like "Pile em high and watch em fly"

I think this place tries "Make prices high and watch it die"

According to a site that can not be mentioned, Splash Jungle just cut their rates. Now if you are a resident of Thailand, you can get it for under 800 baht. Tourist price has been dropped to 1,500 baht.

Much better price....still alot for tourists though

750 baht for adults and 380 baht for children = Residents price

500 for adults and 200 for kids would draw more visitors than their new 2 tier pricing. I can't really see that many variable costs attriibuted to extra visitors, so why not make the park more accessible to everyone by making the price reasonable for what you actually get. This place isn't Disneyland!

I just don't see it, even at the new "low" price. It will be interesting to see how this turns out during the low season. 200 guest in HIGH season on weekends is crazy low numbers. I can't imagine that pays for electric/water/employees/vans and all it takes to run the park. They are going to have to come in lower to get more tourists and locals alike, somewhere around 500Baht for adults, for the size/locaiton of the park seams more fair.