New Cars Market In Thailand For 2010 And Beyond..

Following is a reasonably complete list of new car models coming to the Thai market over the next few years. This list was compiled from various well-trusted sources (mostly Thai language), though no guarantee is given for the accuracy of the info here as much is based on speculation and/or is subject to change..

If you have further intel to contribute, please do so, and feel free to make corrections as release schedules change!

Chevrolet:

2010: All New Cruze (codename J300) - expected in November (delayed from an originally planned Nov '09 launch)

2011: New Aveo (codename T300) - June release planned.

2011: New Colorado (codename GMI700) - November release planned.

Ford:

2010: New Fiesta (codename B299) - Availability postponed until June 2010. Pricing announcements delayed until Nissan March pricing released. First B-segment car <2M baht with DSG transmission option.

2011: New Ranger (codename T6) - To be shown mid-year, but availability not expected until end of year.

2011: Last minor change for the Escape.

2012: New Focus

2012: New Everest

2012: Escape discontinued.

Honda:

2010: Jazz, City and Accord all get a minor change.

2011: Jazz Hybrid

2011: New Civic (codename 2HC) towards the end of the year.

2012: Eco car (codename 2CV)

Hyundai:

2010: New Tuscon - to be released in the first half.

2010: Hyundai i10 - unconfirmed model.

2010: Hyundai Genesis Coupe - unconfirmed model.

2010: New Hyundai Sonata - release date unconfirmed.

Isuzu:

2010: Isuzu D-Max - last nanochange for the existing model.

2011: New D-Max (codename RT-50) - delayed from an original 2010 launch.

2012: New RT-50 based SUV to replace the MU-7

Land Rover:

2010: Feelander - minor change.

Mazda:

2010: New Mazda 2 sedan - expected in the first half.

2010: Last minor change for the existing Mazda 3.

2011: New Mazda 3 - to be made in Thailand (previous generation sourced form the Philippines)

2011: New BT-50 (codename T6)

Mercedes-Benz:

2010: New Benz E-Class - CKD made in Thailand.

2010: S-Class - minor change

2010: New line-up of "Blue Effeciency" models

2010: SLS AMG

Mitsubishi:

2010: Lancer EX white pearl edition

2010: Special edition Triton models expected throughout the year.

2011: New B-segement model or Eco car expected in March.

Nissan:

2010: All New "March" eco-car - expected in the first half.

2010: Navara minor change.

2010: New Vanette NV200 and Urvan - expected in November

2011: March based sedan

2011: Qasana

2012: New TIIDA X12C

2013: New compact sedan (TIIDA Latio replacement)

Suzuki:

2010: Swift - expected in the first half.

2010: SX4 - unconfirmed.

2012: Eco-car project - to be release in March

Toyota:

2010: VIOS minor change.

2010: Yaris nano change.

2010: VIGO nano change.

2011: Prius and Prius plug-in.

2011: VIGO extensive-yet-minor change.

2012: New VIOS.

2012: New Yaris? - unconfirmed, but highly likely.

2012: New Camry.

2013: New ALTIS.

2014: New Hilux (codename IMV2)

2014: Eco-car project finally surfaces?

Please note that I seldom frequent these forums, so don't expect any speedy replies!

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know what that means. I understand the VIGO update for this year to be a nano change (something very small like different badging or trim on the glovebox or something, but &lt;deleted&gt; IS an ' extensive yet minor change?

I'd like to know what that means. I understand the VIGO update for this year to be a nano change (something very small like different badging or trim on the glovebox or something, but &lt;deleted&gt; IS an ' extensive yet minor change?

covering all bases :)

The new celica would be great. The last one was THb 2m, which was borderline acceptable. Probably auto only though, which would be horrid.

I wish they would bring in more Subaru models, the WRX for sale here is way below intl specs, and at THB 3.95m the STI is simply too expensive. They have an SGT in HK and Singapore, this would be agood option.

The Hyundai Genesis could be ok if its not auto only - definitely will be below THB 2m, but probably a low spec and low power model. Shame.

Sports cars are too scarce here!

The VIGO will be getting more styling changes and a Euro IV compliant VN Turbo engine in 2011 (as req'd by all pickup manufacturers by Thai regulations in that year), but there won't be a new platform until 2014. No-one knows exactly what the cosmetic upgrades will entail, including Toyota - no doubt they will evaluate that as their competitors reveal their new plaforms during 2011.

Also, while on this subject, don't expect to see any 3.0L diesels in the light truck market come 2011 - at this stage it looks like all manufacturers will finally be shelving that capacity in favor of more effecient 2.5L variants.

Surprised there is nothing on the Fortuner.......it is due for an update.

It would be reasonable to assume a new Fortuner model will also be forthcoming in 2014, with perhaps another minor or nano change along the way, but the fate of this model is hanging in the balance due to pressure from many angles to relieve Toyota of the tax holiday they've been enjoying with the model (removal of which would push it's price to the 2M Baht mark).

thanks for the reply. might be a reason to buy a 3.0lt vigo this year then, the 2.5 is a step backwards in the power stakes.

I also understand what you said about the fortuner, but given it also uses the 3.0lt motor, i wonder if it would be scaled back to the smaller diesel, as well?

When new models are introduced here in Thailand, what is the effect on resale values of existing models? Would I expect my car to drop dramatically in price because it is suddenly 'the old shape'?

What do you reckon?

Expect an additional drop in the range of ~10% of new vehicle price once a new shape is out.

thanks for the reply. might be a reason to buy a 3.0lt vigo this year then, the 2.5 is a step backwards in the power stakes.

I also understand what you said about the fortuner, but given it also uses the 3.0lt motor, i wonder if it would be scaled back to the smaller diesel, as well?

1. Not so with new 2.5L Euro IV engine that'll be out by the time this happens.

2. Yes. Every light diesel manufacturer in Thailand must comply with Euro IV by 2012.

What about the BMW's.. There is the new 5-series just launched in Europe. Any CKD's expected? I think the X1 would also fit great for the Thai market..

BMW are tight lipped.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Honda Jazz Hybrid? that should be interesting, wonder how much of a markup over the currrent prices or regular Jazz

That will largely depend on whether the hybrid parts are produced domestically or not and/or whether Honda are able to broker a tax deal similar to what Toyota managed with the Camry Hybrid (i.e. only 10% excise tax on the promise that the hybrid parts would eventually be locally manufactured). Pure speculation at this time.

interesting to see Ford will be introducing the Fiesta, but did i read the price correct at 2 million odd thb?

You read incorrectly. Prices are "expected" to range between 550K - 700K'ish. Judging by their wait-and-see what Nissan's pricing turns out to be (the March must sell for < 500K to qualify as a eco-car), the suggestion is that they will be getting aggressive on Fiesta pricing.

Suzuki Swift awesome little car

They were an awesome little car in the eighties, especially the Swift GTI. Theres still alot of them around back home in Oz going strong too. The new ones look great & theres also apparently a GTI. Would be a great small car option for LOS/Bangkok.

1. Not so with new 2.5L Euro IV engine that'll be out by the time this happens.

2. Yes. Every light diesel manufacturer in Thailand must comply with Euro IV by 2012.

Present D4d Euro IV engines in Europe

2,5 144 hp, approx 340Nm

3,0 173 hp, approx 420 Nm

so 3,0 still has a power advantage.

only change to LOS engines are ECU and exhaust system. and of course they require Euro IV diesel. Both VN turbo introduced in LOS November 2009.

Euro IV diesel is scheduled to be introduced in LOS 2012, so find it hard to believe these engines will be sold here until this fuel is available. Euro III fuel causes damage on Euro IV vehicle.

Suzuki Swift awesome little car

They were an awesome little car in the eighties, especially the Swift GTI. Theres still alot of them around back home in Oz going strong too. The new ones look great & theres also apparently a GTI. Would be a great small car option for LOS/Bangkok.

re GTI;in NZ theyre badged as Swift Sports, nice. 1.6 ltr in a small car, with good handling, great for town

117949675.jpg

Too bad the Cruze and the Genesis coupe are going to have crap engines.

The cruze will have a turbo (2.2 I believe) from the cobolt ss. A car that gave the EVO MR a run for its money

and stateside the genesis has 2 options a 300hp 30mpg v6 and a 2.0t, I am guessing neither engine will make it to Thailand.

Euro IV diesel is scheduled to be introduced in LOS 2012, so find it hard to believe these engines will be sold here until this fuel is available. Euro III fuel causes damage on Euro IV vehicle.

Euro IV diesel is mandatory in Thailand by Jan 1, 2012, however, it seems that Euro IV diesel could become available in Thailand well before the Jan 1, 2012 deadline. PTT are currently stating they'll be ready to supply Euro IV in "Late 2011" and a some of the other Thai refiners have already completed their upgrades to produce Euro IV.

The primary difference between the current Euro III diesel in Thailand and Euro IV is the suplhur content - down from 350ppm to 50ppm. This is necessary to achieve the emmissions targets mandated by the Euro 4/IV standards - I've read nothing that suggests that using Euro III in a Euro 4/IV engine has any negative effect outside of increased emmissions .

Can you provide a reference for the damage claim made above katabeachbeachbum? I'd be interested to understand how the additional sulphur (which from a mechanical POV acts as a lubricant) in the fuel could have a negative impact on the engine itself.

>>2012: New Camry.

Sure seems like the current camry has been around for a number of years. Seems most of the world saw a new model in 2010 and I wonder why there isn't anything new here.

Just got back from Perth, the new Atlas and more so the new Camry there look like a blown up VIOS front..

Also notice that the Honda Civic looks the same at the front but the rear lights looks like the City ? Did not see a Honda City there. No idea but heard one start up and drive off sounder more like a 6 cylinder ?

There again noticed the D-Max had V6 on the side of most

2,5 144 hp, approx 340Nm

Correct, more capacity with same tech ought to result in higher power. However, then engines we'll see in the new 2011 models are not simple updates to existing engines to support Euro IV, they're new engine designs altogether. With the advances already made with variable geometry/nozzle turbos, it easy to see why a 3.0L capacity is less relevant moving forward.

Take for example the current Mitsubishi 2.5L TD - in Thailand with a standard turbo and Euro III it makes 140 PS/321 Nm, while the Australian version (sourced from Thailand), using a VGT and running on Euro IV makes 175 PS/400 Nm. Compare that to the current Thai market 3.2L TD @ 165 PS/351 Nm, and consider the savings to be had by supporting one engine variant instead of two, and it becomes easier to understand why the manufacturers are considering 2.5L "enough" moving forward I guess :)

Euro IV diesel is mandatory in Thailand by Jan 1, 2012, however, it seems that Euro IV diesel could become available in Thailand well before the Jan 1, 2012 deadline. PTT are currently stating they'll be ready to supply Euro IV in "Late 2011" and a some of the other Thai refiners have already completed their upgrades to produce Euro IV.

The primary difference between the current Euro III diesel in Thailand and Euro IV is the suplhur content - down from 350ppm to 50ppm. This is necessary to achieve the emmissions targets mandated by the Euro 4/IV standards - I've read nothing that suggests that using Euro III in a Euro 4/IV engine has any negative effect outside of increased emmissions .

Can you provide a reference for the damage claim made above katabeachbeachbum? I'd be interested to understand how the additional sulphur (which from a mechanical POV acts as a lubricant) in the fuel could have a negative impact on the engine itself.

I have not read about Euro III fuel damage on Euro IV engines so far, but exhaust particle filter gets clogged very quickly by sulphur which makes ECU stop engine. Expensive replacement.

Particle filter must by EU law contribute to keep emmission on Euro IV level for 80k km. When Euro III diesel is used containing 600% more sulphur (read particles), filter is damaged in very short time.

Source MB Thailand and BMW Thailand. These manufactorers need to modify their Euro IV diesel vehicles to cope with present LOS diesel quality

Odd by the way, on gas vehicles the fancy name is catalythic converter, on diesel its just particle filter. Both bl--dy expensive

2,5 144 hp, approx 340Nm

Correct, more capacity with same tech ought to result in higher power. However, then engines we'll see in the new 2011 models are not simple updates to existing engines to support Euro IV, they're new engine designs altogether. With the advances already made with variable geometry/nozzle turbos, it easy to see why a 3.0L capacity is less relevant moving forward.

Take for example the current Mitsubishi 2.5L TD - in Thailand with a standard turbo and Euro III it makes 140 PS/321 Nm, while the Australian version (sourced from Thailand), using a VGT and running on Euro IV makes 175 PS/400 Nm. Compare that to the current Thai market 3.2L TD @ 165 PS/351 Nm, and consider the savings to be had by supporting one engine variant instead of two, and it becomes easier to understand why the manufacturers are considering 2.5L "enough" moving forward I guess :)

Since neither of the pickupmakers in LOS has any new engine manufactoring ready within 6 months, I belive we wont see any new engines as 2011 models presented November 2010. First new engine seems to be Izu, sponsored by BOI, but they are delayed as I understand

I also believe these manuafctorers will use EU present EuroIV solutions in LOS for a while, to reduce investments. Toyotas 2,5 and 3,0 VN turbos only need Euro IV ECU and particlefilter to manage. Same for Nissan 2,5 VN. This is already on the shelves in EU, everything else is identical. Fading out 3,0 seems logical in markets not focused on power, but thai market loves cc in 4x4.