New Cars Market In Thailand For 2010 And Beyond..

Thairung launches new Allroader based "Exclusive Limousine"

thairunglimousineallroa.jpg

thairunglimousineallroan.jpg

Thairung's Allroader goes to new "lengths" - an additional 60cm in fact, with the launch of the new "Exclusive Limousine". Featuring such nicities as a privacy panel between the driver and passengers, and 18.5" LCD TV/DVD system with subwoofer, refrigerator, 8-way power adjustable seats, and a few cow's worth of leather.

Two versions are available - based on the Chevy Colorado or the Isuzu D-Max. Both use the same 3.0L TD engine, and offer lowered, comfort-tuned suspension, 17" alloy wheels and advanced soundproofing for "superior" ride comfort. Prices start at around 1.3M Baht and move upwards depending on the options selected.

Thairung Website (not updated at time of posting)

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thairung Allroader minor change

Thairung's staple 7-seat SUV, the Allroader has undergone a minor change adding new projector headlights, new 50/50 split 3rd row seats, and new dash lighting effects. Prices will start from just 799,000 Baht for the 2.5L RWD version at next week's motor show.

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG to make it's Thai debut at the 2010 Bangkok Motor show

mercedesbenzslsamggullw.jpg

Mercedes Benz (Thailand) will be displaying 16 models at this year's motor show under the theme of "Blue Effeciency" - but the star of the show will no doubt be the 6.3L V8, 571 HP/650Nm SLS AMG Gullwing pictured here. No pricing has been announced, but expect it to go on sale at a price that could buy you a small island resort :)

Mercedes Benz (Thailand) will be displaying 16 models at this year's motor show under the theme of "Blue Effeciency" - but the star of the show will no doubt be the 6.3L V8, 571 HP/650Nm SLS AMG Gullwing pictured here. No pricing has been announced, but expect it to go on sale at a price that could buy you a small island resort :D

Thai marketing is so odd :)

Blue Effeciency is MBs name on environment friendly solutions.

but

Every MB Blue Effeciency sold in LOS by MB LOS, must be modified to LOS fuel and thereby is no longer blue effeciency.

gas models are designed to run 98, but must be adapted to LOS 95 octane, making them pollute more.

Diesels must remove particlefilter and use old models ECU to run EuroIII, and pollute much more

TiT

Edited by katabeachbum

Thairung's staple 7-seat SUV, the Allroader has undergone a minor change adding new projector headlights, new 50/50 split 3rd row seats, and new dash lighting effects. Prices will start from just 799,000 Baht for the 2.5L RWD version at next week's motor show.

WHAT A TANK ! :D

I can just see somchai belting down the highway at 160km/h in this.....great :) (at least the passengers can die in style) :D

Isn't this just basically just a rebadged Isuzu MU7? Any noticable differences?

and 1.3 mil for that limo isn't all that bad considering what the other options for cars with refrigerators in them must cost over here.

Note toyota honda and nissan plus mini and ford. Britain has a massive car making industry all right hand drive and now 35% cheaper then pre GFC the question remains.

Unfortunately Thailand's custom duties, excise taxes and VAT on imported vehicles (which in total range from 188% to 328% on the cost-including-freight value), make it meaningless to try to import most of your list there. Even Australia who have a Free Trade Agreement (and who also manufacture a broad range of vehicles) can't make econonmical sense out of it, so UK manufacturers have no chance :)

This is a good post and something what puzzles me. Why Australian Gov. not pressure the Thai Gov. to let them dutyfree import theyr aussie cars, because many pick up trucks (made in Thailand) get exported from Thailand to Australia, which hearts the Australian truck marked badly. The Aussies should have power to "break" the Thai duty, otherwise they could put a huge tax on Thai Trucks overthere. Never understand why they don't do it. What is a free trade agreement when it works onle on one side?

Note toyota honda and nissan plus mini and ford. Britain has a massive car making industry all right hand drive and now 35% cheaper then pre GFC the question remains.

Unfortunately Thailand's custom duties, excise taxes and VAT on imported vehicles (which in total range from 188% to 328% on the cost-including-freight value), make it meaningless to try to import most of your list there. Even Australia who have a Free Trade Agreement (and who also manufacture a broad range of vehicles) can't make econonmical sense out of it, so UK manufacturers have no chance :)

This is a good post and something what puzzles me. Why Australian Gov. not pressure the Thai Gov. to let them dutyfree import theyr aussie cars, because many pick up trucks (made in Thailand) get exported from Thailand to Australia, which hearts the Australian truck marked badly. The Aussies should have power to "break" the Thai duty, otherwise they could put a huge tax on Thai Trucks overthere. Never understand why they don't do it. What is a free trade agreement when it works onle on one side?

Well the Thai made honda civic is cheaper in OZ than here. Compare that to, for example, the ford ranger wildtrak - over 50K dollars there in top spec! Thats nearly 1.5 million! Is that heavily taxed, or the Thai versions under taxed?

its done. OZ passanger cars with more than 3000cc has a taxbreak in LOS. winwin. OZ dont make pickups. LOS dont focus on making cars with more than 3000cc.

and 1.3 mil for that limo isn't all that bad considering what the other options for cars with refrigerators in them must cost over here.

Thw original replyer linked the image for the 7-seat 799K Baht Allroader - not the 4-seat "Exclusive Limousine" 1.3M Baht edition, which has been stretched by an additional 60cm...

Thairung build SUV's using the Isuzu D-Max and Chev Colorado pickups as a base, so yes there's some similarities with the MU-7 - which is Isuzu's own D-Max based SUV.

its done. OZ passanger cars with more than 3000cc has a taxbreak in LOS. winwin. OZ dont make pickups. LOS dont focus on making cars with more than 3000cc.

Precisely. Now where are the 3000+ cc Aussie cars then? I'd almost give my left leg to be able to buy a 6.2L V8 HSV GXP in Thailand at a reasonable price :)

Huge difference if you need any rear body or interior parts = can only be bought at THAIRUNG and VERY expensive

That Risk should be pretty small then. Prices for the car are looking good (better then the car anyway)

Mazda's Motor Show Promotions revealed

As is customary, all Thai manufacturers put on special promotional campaigns for the major motor shows, and details of Mazda's promotions have just been announced:

Mazda 2: Prices from 535,000 Baht (nothing new there) with 1 year's free first-class insurance.

Mazda 3: E20 compatible models starting from 755,000 Baht with interest from 2.19%, 1 year's free first-class insurance, and 3 years/60,000km free servicing.

Mazda BT-50: 1.79% interest with 1 year's free first-class insurance.

Mazda MX-5: 5 years/140,000km warranty, with 3 years/100,000km free servicing and 1 year's free first-class insurance.

Mazda CX-9: 3 years/100,000km free servicing and 1 year's free first-class insurance

Unless otherwise stated, all models come standard with a 3 year/100,000km warranty, and 3-years of free 24-hour roadside assistance.

The Motorshow runs from March 26th to April 4th at Bitec, Bangna.

Thw original replyer linked the image for the 7-seat 799K Baht Allroader - not the 4-seat "Exclusive Limousine" 1.3M Baht edition, which has been stretched by an additional 60cm...

Thairung build SUV's using the Isuzu D-Max and Chev Colorado pickups as a base, so yes there's some similarities with the MU-7 - which is Isuzu's own D-Max based SUV.

Precisely. Now where are the 3000+ cc Aussie cars then? I'd almost give my left leg to be able to buy a 6.2L V8 HSV GXP in Thailand at a reasonable price :)

so far I v only seen one OZ +3000cc, Chevy Lamuna 3,5. But not very good sales here, even cheapest 3500cc at 1,99 mill baht. Since 2003 as I recall.

Guess its up to the distributors and the market.

Edited by katabeachbum

Well the Thai made honda civic is cheaper in OZ than here. Compare that to, for example, the ford ranger wildtrak - over 50K dollars there in top spec! Thats nearly 1.5 million! Is that heavily taxed, or the Thai versions under taxed?

thai pickups undertaxed. 3% as I recall on 4 door 3000cc, ad 7% vat.

compared to 20% on thais 7 seats build on frame, 30% upwards on thai cars

mercedesbenzslsamggullw.jpg

Mercedes Benz (Thailand) will be displaying 16 models at this year's motor show under the theme of "Blue Effeciency" - but the star of the show will no doubt be the 6.3L V8, 571 HP/650Nm SLS AMG Gullwing pictured here. No pricing has been announced, but expect it to go on sale at a price that could buy you a small island resort :)

The pricing has just been announced: The SLS AMG will start from just 24.99 Million Baht..

The pricing has just been announced: The SLS AMG will start from just 24.99 Million Baht..

not bad compared to some others in this segment

Mitsubishi Triton CNG Models Announced

tritoncngt.jpg

singlecab.jpg

megacabbedliner.jpg

Mitsubishi has now launched two new Triton models featuring dual-fuel support (E20 and NGV).

The single cab GL version starts at 469,000 Baht, while the extended cab GLS version starts from 611,000 Baht. Both models are powered by Mitsubishi's 2.4L MPI Engine with 128HP and 194Nm and feature special bed liner designs to cover the CNG tank. the Single cab has 120L NGV tank, while the extended cab has a slightly smaller 100L tank. Both models come with a 3 year/100,000KM warranty.

BMW Z4 S-Drive announced

indextw.jpg

indexnv.jpg

indexkv.jpg

BMW's "Effecient Dynamic" Z4 S-Drive will be released at the 2010 Bangkok Motor show, starting tomorrow.

Two variants will be available:

Z4 sDrive 23i at 4,399,000 Baht

Z4 sDrive 23i Highline at 4,799,000 Baht

Both models are powered by an E20 compatible 2.5L 6-cylinder producing 204HP and 250Nm - capable of completing the 0-100km/hr sprint in just 7.3 seconds while managing 11.3L/KM fuel effeciency with 207gm/km CO2.

Lexus LFA in Thailand

553000004366102.jpg

553000004366103.jpg

Lexus's first entry into the supercar club will go on show at this year's Bangkok Motor Show (March 26 to April 6th, 2010), with at total of 2 cars (out of the limited production run of 500) allocated to Thailand - for a cool 40,000,000 Baht each.

Some quick specs on the LFA:

72-degree naturally aspirated V10 with 40 valves and Dual VVT-i producing 550 HP at 8,700 RPM and 480Nm from 6,800 to 9,000 RPM.

0-100 KM/hr in 3.7 seconds

Dual clutch 6-speed transmission with 0.2s change time.

4-wheel carbon-ceramic discs - 390mm 6-pot (front) and 306mm 4-pot (rear).

65% Carbon fiber, 35% Aluminum body

So who will be the lucky two I wonder? :)

Chevrolet Updates

New minor change for the Colorado pickup revealed:

dsppic.jpg

Chevrolet Colorado 2010 Minor Change

The Colorado has undergone a mid-life refresh, adding new design "crystal" headlights, new spherical fog lights, and a new audio system with LCD screen, MP3/DVD playback and navigation. Top level models also now come with cruise control. No word on updated prices yet.

dsppic.jpg

Captiva LTZ 2.0 VCDi Sport "White Metallic"

A little slow to the party, but better-late-than-never, Chev responds to the current "White Pearl" trend with the launch of the Captiva LTZ 2.0 VCDi Sport. "White Metallic". Major changes include a new body skirt package, 18" alloy wheels and a 7" LCD based audio system with MP3/DVD playback and navigation, and some new design chrome tailights.. and pearl white paint of course! Prices start at 1,634,000 Baht.

Kia Soul launched in Thailand

dsppic.jpg

With a market plan to sell 40 units per month, Kia launches the Soul in Thailand with introductory prices starting from 1,298,000 Baht.

Dubbed a "mini utility", the Soul is powered by a 1.6L DOHC petrol engine providing 124HP @ 6300 rpm and 156Nm @ 4300 rpm and features nicities such as 60/40 split fold seats (which folded down open up 1500L of cargo space), and LCD screen based audio system AUX, iPod and USB support, parking camera and the usual safety features you'd expect at the price. Bookings will start during the 2010 Motor Show, with deliveries starting 2-3 weeks afterwards.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Quick Update for those who were asking..

I spoke to one of my Toyota sources last evening, and apparently the Hilux Vigo 2010 minor change is expected mid-year, and a minor change for the Fortuner towards the end of 2010.

No details on exactly what's changing, but I poked/prodded/suggested a VN Turbo 3.0L engine (to complement the 2.5L VN currently available) - but that was quickly dismissed as "highly unlikely".. So what we'll be seeing is probably just a few minor cosmetic changes and/or some special, limited edition models with some added bling.

What about the BMW's.. There is the new 5-series just launched in Europe. Any CKD's expected? I think the X1 would also fit great for the Thai market..

Trouble is with BMW the prices are bonkers. I've seen the new wavy bonnet 5-series over here.

The X6 50i is 55,000GBP in the UK including 17.5% tax

Thailand its 10,999 million Thai baht. Thats a lot more than 200% markup.

I'd like to see more Toyota models. The new Rav4 is a lot nicer in the city than a fortuna. The Prius looks great as well.

Quick Update for those who were asking..

I spoke to one of my Toyota sources last evening, and apparently the Hilux Vigo 2010 minor change is expected mid-year, and a minor change for the Fortuner towards the end of 2010.

No details on exactly what's changing, but I poked/prodded/suggested a VN Turbo 3.0L engine (to complement the 2.5L VN currently available) - but that was quickly dismissed as "highly unlikely".. So what we'll be seeing is probably just a few minor cosmetic changes and/or some special, limited edition models with some added bling.

took delivery November 2009 on 2010 VN Turbo 3,0L Vigo

What about the BMW's.. There is the new 5-series just launched in Europe. Any CKD's expected? I think the X1 would also fit great for the Thai market..

Trouble is with BMW the prices are bonkers. I've seen the new wavy bonnet 5-series over here.

The X6 50i is 55,000GBP in the UK including 17.5% tax

Thailand its 10,999 million Thai baht. Thats a lot more than 200% markup.

I'd like to see more Toyota models. The new Rav4 is a lot nicer in the city than a fortuna. The Prius looks great as well.

I understand we're you're coming from - it does take a while to get used to Thai car prices!

However, there's a few factors at play:

Firstly, it's not a 200% markup (which infers profit), it's all about customs duties, excise tax and VAT. Thailand's current taxation system is geared towards supporting (in order):

1. Locally produced commercial vehicles

2. Locally produced eco-cars (< 1500cc, >= 20KM/L, <= 120gm CO2, < 500,000 Baht)

3. Locally produced vehicles < 3000 cc and < 220 HP

4. ASEAN produced vehicles < 3000cc and < 220 HP

5. Australian produced vehicles > 3000cc and > 200HP.

Everything else gets seriously pummelled by taxes.

So if you're looking for value for money, either forget about anything CBU (Completely Built-Up - i.e. fully imported) or, buy used. For those who would scream foul at this (and I have to admit, I struggle not to), the fact remains that Thailand does have the right to protect and promote their (substantial) vehicle manufacturing industry, and they also have the right to decide that 3000cc and 220HP ought to be enough for the average driver, given Thai road conditions.

On the upside, the resale values in Thailand are typically far better than any Western country - so once you overcome the sticker shock of a new car and do the numbers on Total Cost of Ownership (factoring in new price, finance costs, servicing and fuelling costs, then ultimate resale value) you'll in most cases be very pleasently suprised..