New Cars Market In Thailand For 2010 And Beyond..

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus 40k USD for the basic Kia soul? They're 15k here and 21K loaded and I think that is too much for them....

Well, their business plan assumes a total of 40 sales out of the 54,000 odd passenger cars sold in Thailand each month.. That probably says it all :)

New recoard set as more than 6,600 bookings made in the first 5 days of the 2010 Bangkok Motor Show

saleordersbangkokmotors.jpg

The star performer of the show has been Nissan's new eco-car, with sales of 1,000 units in the first 3 "public" days of the show (24-25th of March were 'VIP' only days), with Toyota leading the overall sales race with more than 1,800 units sold.

Revised sales targets for the show, which ends on April 6th, are now 20,000 sales - up around 20% from last year.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• 2 months later...

I wasn't going to keep this thread going, but didn't know where else to put this update so revived for one last update it is :)

Some of you may have read in the past couple of weeks that Toyota are shutting down one of their Thai factories and relocating some 960 staff to other Thai facilities. Some of you who have been in the market for an SUV (PPV) may also know that Fortuner's have had a waiting list of 2-3 months since the middle of 2009..

Well, today the writing on the wall became official: The Toyota Fortuner will no longer be made in Thailand.

All production for the Fortuner will be shifted to Indonesia, and the move is expected to be complete by July-August this year. What this means for the model is still not yet clear, but it could have a number of knock-on effects.. Pricing probably won't change as Indonesia is part of the ASEAN free-trade agreement (in fact the prices have probably crept up over the past year or so in preparation for this move). Models may change, and the market perception of the model may also be impacted - only time will tell..

In any case, it's evidence of the general suspicion that Toyota Thailand are struggling..

I wasn't going to keep this thread going, but didn't know where else to put this update so revived for one last update it is :)

Some of you may have read in the past couple of weeks that Toyota are shutting down one of their Thai factories and relocating some 960 staff to other Thai facilities. Some of you who have been in the market for an SUV (PPV) may also know that Fortuner's have had a waiting list of 2-3 months since the middle of 2009..

Well, today the writing on the wall became official: The Toyota Fortuner will no longer be made in Thailand.

All production for the Fortuner will be shifted to Indonesia, and the move is expected to be complete by July-August this year. What this means for the model is still not yet clear, but it could have a number of knock-on effects.. Pricing probably won't change as Indonesia is part of the ASEAN free-trade agreement (in fact the prices have probably crept up over the past year or so in preparation for this move). Models may change, and the market perception of the model may also be impacted - only time will tell..

In any case, it's evidence of the general suspicion that Toyota Thailand are struggling..

or its a move to adapt to 0% importduties from other Asean countries, and Indonesian government nice support for builders of seven seat vehicles. Building Fortuners in LOS does not give any BOI support any more (only initial 5 years).

BOI s main support is presently aimed at the new segment of ecocars, and players like Continental expect ecocars to be 20% of all thai made vehicles in a few years.

It is also likely that PPVs like Fortuner will face higher excice tax in LOS, and Toyota is THE player to know such facts before introduced

Just look at how they where able to introduce Fortuner in 2004 with reduced wheelbase and rear coilsprings a few weeks after change of requirements, and years before Mitsu

So guys,

if you want a LOS suv on frame at present prices, dont wait. 30% additional excice tax for 3,0 is 350-500k baht +++.

Surprised there is nothing on the Fortuner.......it is due for an update.

I would think its safe to say it should be shelved all together - and prob will be -

(its not eco-friendly and its not going to be a very popular vehicle in 2014,

when we/our awareness edge even closer to

the notion of little/no fuel reserves on the planet)

agree, should be shelved, so every one can buy the larger Landcruiser. Fortuner is to tiny and light and pollutes to little

Couldn't agree more :D ...the 200 series with the V8 D-4D is nice...just needs a few more ponies :)

Edited by Neilly

• 1 month later...

I just noticed that a company named "Somboon Group" copied my original post in this thread (including my poor grammar in the thread title!) - for their report to the Stock Exchange of Thailand on March 16, 2010.

Page 13, here: http://www.set.or.th/th/company/files/presentation/opp_day/4_52/SAT.pdf

I'm not sure whether to be upset or flattered ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Update Time!

Chevrolet:

2010: All New Cruze (codename J300) - expected in November (delayed from an originally planned Nov '09 launch)

2011: New Aveo (codename T300) - June release planned.

2011: New Colorado (codename GMI700) - November release planned.

2012: All-new Colorado-based PPV (SUV) New Addition.

Ford:

2010: New Fiesta (codename B299) - Production started in July, will be in dealerships late Aug/Early Sept. Updated.

2011: New Ranger (codename T6) - To be shown mid-year, with a projected release of Nov/Dec. Updated.

2011: Last minor change for the Escape.

2012: New Focus

2012: New Everest

2012: Escape discontinued.

Honda:

2010: Jazz, City and Accord all get a minor change.

2011: Jazz Hybrid

2011: New Civic (codename 2HC) towards the end of the year.

2011: New Eco car (codename 2CV) to be launched in November 2010, broad availability not expected until late Q1 2011.

Hyundai:

2010: New Tuscon - to be released in the first half. Released.

2010: Hyundai i10 - unconfirmed model.

2010: Hyundai Genesis Coupe - unconfirmed model.

2010: New Hyundai Sonata - release date unconfirmed.

Isuzu:

2010: Isuzu D-Max - last nanochange for the existing model. Released.

2011: New D-Max (codename RT-50) - to be based on Chevrolet engine & chassis. Nov release planned. Updated

2012: New RT-50 based PPV (SUV) to replace the MU-7. Again based on Chevrolet SUV

Note: Come late 2011/2012, Isuzu will no longer be manufacturing pickups or PPV's (SUV) themselves - all will be sourced from Chevrolet. New Addition.

Land Rover:

2010: Feelander - minor change.

Mazda:

2010: New Mazda 2 sedan - expected in the first half. Released.

2010: Last minor change for the existing Mazda 3.

2011: New Mazda 3 - to be made in Thailand (previous generation sourced form the Philippines)

2011: New BT-50 (codename T6)

Mercedes-Benz:

2010: New Benz E-Class - CKD made in Thailand. Released.

2010: S-Class - minor change Released.

2010: New line-up of "Blue Effeciency" models Released.

2010: SLS AMG Released.

Mitsubishi:

2010: Lancer EX white pearl edition Released.

2010: Special edition Triton models expected throughout the year. Released.

2012: Eco-car enters production in Sep 2011 for an early 2012 release. First Thai made car to be offered with a choice of Petrol, Hybrid or All-Electric drivetrain Updated.

Nissan:

2010: All New "March" eco-car - expected in the first half. Released.

2010: Navara minor change.

2010: New Vanette NV200 and Urvan - expected in November

2011: March based sedan

2011: Qasana

2012: New TIIDA X12C

2012: New C Segment sedan (codename L12F) to compete with Corolla/Civic/3/Focus. New Addition.

2013: New compact sedan (TIIDA Latio replacement)

Suzuki:

2010: Swift - expected in the first half. Released.

2010: SX4 - unconfirmed.

2012: Eco-car project - unconfirmed.

Toyota:

2010: VIOS minor change. Released.

2010: Yaris nano change.

2010: VIGO nano change.

2010: Fortuner nano change. Expected Sept/Oct. New Addition.

2011: Prius and Prius plug-in.

2011: VIGO minor change.

2012: New VIOS.

2012: New Yaris? - unconfirmed, but highly likely.

2012: New Camry.

2013: New ALTIS.

2014: New Hilux (codename IMV2)

2014: Eco-car project gets a second chance

Edited by MoonRiverOasis
  • Like 1

Does anyone have any info on the New Mazda 3 for 2011? Will that fact that it'll be made in Thailand affect the price at all?

Cheers.

It will be a new minor change of the "new" Mazda 3 that's been sold in other markets for more than a year now - a carbon copy of the strategy used to launch the Mazda 2 earlier this year.

The current 3 is already competitively priced due to no import taxes uder the ASEAN FTA - there's no reason to expect any change in pricing policy, but all models in the segment will go up slightly in price by then to counter inflation (probably 20-40K baht)

• Like 1

MRO for Motor forum mod +1

- Have you ever seen anyone else with consistently better unbiased moto info posting here? Sorry dude, you might not might not want to be a might to be mod or whatnot, not you should alt least have a giant gold star of some kind.

(include giant gold star icon here)

biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

i was searching in google for the term "nano change". cant really understand the term....

please advise or explain.

thanks!

very small change, like Izu keep on "upgrading" their pickup with new seatcovers, different colors on instruments, new lights.

or Civic had new bumper and rearlights a year ago

a facelift usually involves approx 2000 parts replaced, far from nano IOW

Perhaps its just me, but I have noticed an explosion of Mazda's running around lately - especially the Mazda 2s. Article on Mazda's site said that their sales the first half of this year are up like 300 percent. Feels good that I jumped on the bandwagon with my recent 3 purchase.

Perhaps its just me, but I have noticed an explosion of Mazda's running around lately - especially the Mazda 2s. Article on Mazda's site said that their sales the first half of this year are up like 300 percent. Feels good that I jumped on the bandwagon with my recent 3 purchase.

I recently bought a new Mazda 2 for my wife. We had originally looked at the Nissan March, and then strongly considered the Jazz, but eventually the Mada won out on the "fun factor." It is really a fun little car to run around town in. The build quality is not quite as good as the Honda, but they are readily available and the dealers offer better deals for these cars. There really is an explosion of these around now.

MRO,

I was talking to a friend the other day and was wondering with the production of the Fortuner going offshore, I wonder if the Thai govt would be allowing another one of Toyota's cars thats produced here in LOS to be given the same or similar tax breaks as the Fortuner has been subject to, here? (Does that make sense, Im not sure - LOL).

Also the Toyota Camry Hybrid, there are rumours that a new all improved Hybrid system is being developed for the Camry, one which will see the battery under the car, freeing up boot space & also providing for an extra 35% of power. I also read somewhere else that there was rumour that Toyota hope to end up giving Warranty for even longer on the batteries of these newer Hybrids.

I also agree that this is a great thread, I like to read along but dont have much to offer. Thanks for all your hard work and information. CHEERS.

MRO,

I was talking to a friend the other day and was wondering with the production of the Fortuner going offshore, I wonder if the Thai govt would be allowing another one of Toyota's cars thats produced here in LOS to be given the same or similar tax breaks as the Fortuner has been subject to, here? (Does that make sense, Im not sure - LOL).

Also the Toyota Camry Hybrid, there are rumours that a new all improved Hybrid system is being developed for the Camry, one which will see the battery under the car, freeing up boot space & also providing for an extra 35% of power. I also read somewhere else that there was rumour that Toyota hope to end up giving Warranty for even longer on the batteries of these newer Hybrids.

I also agree that this is a great thread, I like to read along but dont have much to offer. Thanks for all your hard work and information. CHEERS.

MRO is on a roadtrip, so I ll try to answer some of it:)

The production of Fortuner has not gone offshore. Both IMV factories in LOS are running full capacaty to keep the waiting lists down, and due to increased domestic demand some Fortuners for export (Arabian markets) are now being assembled in Indonesia from LOS made parts.

Toyota LOS wants to invest in increased production capasity for IMV, and just celebrated 1 mill units exported from LOS since IMV started late 2004. In addition parts to assemble 3-400k units have been exported. More info in other threads.

All LOS made people carriers (7 seat SUV) build on frame, min wheelbase 2,75m, max engine 3200cc diesel or 3000cc petrol, benefit from only 20% excise tax. Names Fortuner, Pajero Sport, Everest, Thairung, Isuzu, any forgotten?

Hi Kata,

Yes I understand all of what you said, but I was sure that the only reason Fortuner (or any of them for that matter) benifited from the 20% excise tas is because they were being produced in Thailand. I was aware that the Fortuner had either just stopped being produced in LOS or was about to be and my question was given that was happening, could we now expect some other thai built vehicle (be it whatever) now be subject to the lower tax.

I thought the whole idea of it was to promote thai built cars in Thailand. There had also been some rumour that it is expected the price of the fortuner could increase ONLY DUE TO THIS REASON & not due to other associated costs?

Thanks for ur info mate. :D

Hi Kata,

Yes I understand all of what you said, but I was sure that the only reason Fortuner (or any of them for that matter) benifited from the 20% excise tas is because they were being produced in Thailand. I was aware that the Fortuner had either just stopped being produced in LOS or was about to be and my question was given that was happening, could we now expect some other thai built vehicle (be it whatever) now be subject to the lower tax.

I thought the whole idea of it was to promote thai built cars in Thailand. There had also been some rumour that it is expected the price of the fortuner could increase ONLY DUE TO THIS REASON & not due to other associated costs?

Thanks for ur info mate. :D

Hi Neverdie

I could have been more clear. IMV made in LOS is Fortuner and Vigo. No plans to stop making any of them in LOS, actually they want to invest in new facilities to make more in LOS

There have been rumours to increase excicie tax on Fortuner and its alike, but that would be to max 35% making it approx 200k more expensive here for a 2,7 or 3,0. Not enough to kill domestic sale I suppose.

Hi Neverdie

I could have been more clear. IMV made in LOS is Fortuner and Vigo. No plans to stop making any of them in LOS, actually they want to invest in new facilities to make more in LOS

There have been rumours to increase excicie tax on Fortuner and its alike, but that would be to max 35% making it approx 200k more expensive here for a 2,7 or 3,0. Not enough to kill domestic sale I suppose.

Ohh, now ur tellin me stuff. I thought they were going to stop making fortuner here and just have it produced offshort, but thats wrong. The rest of what i was asking is now irrelevant & you (me) learn something everyday :D

Hi Neverdie

Ohh, now ur tellin me stuff. I thought they were going to stop making fortuner here and just have it produced offshort, but thats wrong. The rest of what i was asking is now irrelevant & you (me) learn something everyday :D

Well, there where false rumors Toyota was moving Fortuner to Indonesia, but all they did was to move assembling of some export units made from LOS made parts. Reason was both Fortuner factories in LOS was/is running full capasity, not sufficient to meet domestic and export demand. Their long time solution will be to invest more in LOS factories to produce more.

Update Time!

Chevrolet:

2010: All New Cruze (codename J300) - expected in November (delayed from an originally planned Nov '09 launch)

2011: New Aveo (codename T300) - June release planned.

2011: New Colorado (codename GMI700) - November release planned.

2012: All-new Colorado-based PPV (SUV) New Addition.

Ford:

2010: New Fiesta (codename B299) - Production started in July, will be in dealerships late Aug/Early Sept. Updated.

2011: New Ranger (codename T6) - To be shown mid-year, with a projected release of Nov/Dec. Updated.

2011: Last minor change for the Escape.

2012: New Focus

2012: New Everest

2012: Escape discontinued.

Honda:

2010: Jazz, City and Accord all get a minor change.

2011: Jazz Hybrid

2011: New Civic (codename 2HC) towards the end of the year.

2011: New Eco car (codename 2CV) to be launched in November 2010, broad availability not expected until late Q1 2011.

Hyundai:

2010: New Tuscon - to be released in the first half. Released.

2010: Hyundai i10 - unconfirmed model.

2010: Hyundai Genesis Coupe - unconfirmed model.

2010: New Hyundai Sonata - release date unconfirmed.

Isuzu:

2010: Isuzu D-Max - last nanochange for the existing model. Released.

2011: New D-Max (codename RT-50) - to be based on Chevrolet engine & chassis. Nov release planned. Updated

2012: New RT-50 based PPV (SUV) to replace the MU-7. Again based on Chevrolet SUV

Note: Come late 2011/2012, Isuzu will no longer be manufacturing pickups or PPV's (SUV) themselves - all will be sourced from Chevrolet. New Addition.

Land Rover:

2010: Feelander - minor change.

Mazda:

2010: New Mazda 2 sedan - expected in the first half. Released.

2010: Last minor change for the existing Mazda 3.

2011: New Mazda 3 - to be made in Thailand (previous generation sourced form the Philippines)

2011: New BT-50 (codename T6)

Mercedes-Benz:

2010: New Benz E-Class - CKD made in Thailand. Released.

2010: S-Class - minor change Released.

2010: New line-up of "Blue Effeciency" models Released.

2010: SLS AMG Released.

Mitsubishi:

2010: Lancer EX white pearl edition Released.

2010: Special edition Triton models expected throughout the year. Released.

2012: Eco-car enters production in Sep 2011 for an early 2012 release. First Thai made car to be offered with a choice of Petrol, Hybrid or All-Electric drivetrain Updated.

Nissan:

2010: All New "March" eco-car - expected in the first half. Released.

2010: Navara minor change.

2010: New Vanette NV200 and Urvan - expected in November

2011: March based sedan

2011: Qasana

2012: New TIIDA X12C

2012: New C Segment sedan (codename L12F) to compete with Corolla/Civic/3/Focus. New Addition.

2013: New compact sedan (TIIDA Latio replacement)

Suzuki:

2010: Swift - expected in the first half. Released.

2010: SX4 - unconfirmed.

2012: Eco-car project - unconfirmed.

Toyota:

2010: VIOS minor change. Released.

2010: Yaris nano change.

2010: VIGO nano change.

2010: Fortuner nano change. Expected Sept/Oct. New Addition.

2011: Prius and Prius plug-in.

2011: VIGO minor change.

2012: New VIOS.

2012: New Yaris? - unconfirmed, but highly likely.

2012: New Camry.

2013: New ALTIS.

2014: New Hilux (codename IMV2)

2014: Eco-car project gets a second chance

Visited my local Isuzu dealer today and they said new DMax is going to be released in October 2010. They were unsure of what changes there would be but seemed to think pick up would be slightly larger, have a new motor. and cost about 10 to 20k more!

We actually went to pay a deposit and order a new(current model) DMax but were given the option of waiting to see if the new model was more to our liking. We can still order the current model once the new model is released. Colours are now reduced from a total of five to only three. White, black or silver.

So my question to the more knowledgeable members on this forum is if you were in my position would you buy the current model or wait and look at the new model. My feeling is to order now to ensure I actually get the current model as I feel if I wait until new model is released there would be very limited stock left of current model.

That is assuming if I look at the new model and decide I do not like it. If that is the case there would possibly be good deals on current models as Isuzu would want to sell them through as quickly as possible. (If there are current models left at that time)

So if anyone has any thoughts on this would love to hear opinions please.

Visited my local Isuzu dealer today and they said new DMax is going to be released in October 2010. They were unsure of what changes there would be but seemed to think pick up would be slightly larger, have a new motor. and cost about 10 to 20k more!

We actually went to pay a deposit and order a new(current model) DMax but were given the option of waiting to see if the new model was more to our liking. We can still order the current model once the new model is released. Colors are now reduced from a total of five to only three. White, black or silver.

So my question to the more knowledgeable members on this forum is if you were in my position would you buy the current model or wait and look at the new model. My feeling is to order now to ensure I actually get the current model as I feel if I wait until new model is released there would be very limited stock left of current model.

That is assuming if I look at the new model and decide I do not like it. If that is the case there would possibly be good deals on current models as Isuzu would want to sell them through as quickly as possible. (If there are current models left at that time)

So if anyone has any thoughts on this would love to hear opinions please.

In your circumstance, I think you have to first know which model D-Max you want.....if you aren't sure, then wait until you have all the info and specs on the new D-Max and then make your decision. You can't control all the variables so you have to make an either-or choice, now.

Personally, with MRO's chart indicating a major face-lift for the 2011 D-Max (codename RT-50), which is to be based on the Chevrolet engine & chassis, I would really want to know if its specifications and looks would be the vehicle geared for the future - in which case the 2010 model would be 'dated' before it left the showroom. Conversely, you would want to also know if the 2011 model had some qualities that you really didn't like - in which case the 2010 model would be the one for you to buy.

You see, only after evaluating both models will you be eternally happy with your purchase. It may (may not) somewhat restrict a future 2010 model selection (if it came to that) so constantly check for newly released details about the 2011 D-Max and be among the first to make a purchase at that time with all the info!

We are almost in the same boat! I, too, am contemplating whether or not to go with the 2010 or 2011 model. The only difference is that I am looking to buy the MU-7, but there won't be any major changes between the 2010 and 2011 model years with this vehicle. Unfortunately for me, the MU-7 has scheduled its major face lift (to look like the 2011 D-Max) in its 2012 model year, and I can't wait that long! So I am trying to decide whether or not to hold out for, of all things, at least a better color selection in the 2011 models, if for no other gain. Hopefully, the October release date for the 2011 D-Max will apply to the release date for the 2011 MU-7 models, also. As soon as I know all the specs for the 2011 MU-7, I, too, will decide which model to buy and then order.

If the features and looks of the 2011 D-Max, (a base model preview of the 2012 MU-7), really looks good, I'll 'really' be in a conundrum, myself!

Edited by Ahnsahn