New Cars Market In Thailand For 2010 And Beyond..

Since neither of the pickupmakers in LOS has any new engine manufactoring ready within 6 months, I belive we wont see any new engines as 2011 models presented November 2010. First new engine seems to be Izu, sponsored by BOI, but they are delayed as I understand

Correct, I've heard nothing about new diesels for 2010, other than the delayed Isuzu that you've heard about. The next-gen diesels are all earmarked for a late 2011 release (as noted in my original list).

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of Mitsubishi diesels, it would appear that not only will they be discontinuing the 3.2L variant, it seems likely that the 2.5L variant will be replaced by an all-new 2.2L engine from the "clean diesel" (4N1) family - the current version of which which makes 190 PS/400 Nm and is Euro V compliant.

While it'd be nice to have a 3.2L approaching 360 PS / 550 Nm, It wouldn't be terribly conducive to safety to put that kind of power in the hands of the average Thai pickup driver :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Subrau new diesel for 2010 = turbocharged 2.0-litre Boxer diesel engine

Likewise the new Mitsubishi Pajero 2010 = turbocharged 2.0D Boxer diesel engine that produces 110kW of power and 350Nm of torque... or the 2.8 turbocharged diesel engine

No idea if these engines will be an option in Thailand ? or how far behind Thailand is to Japan.

Since neither of the pickupmakers in LOS has any new engine manufactoring ready within 6 months, I belive we wont see any new engines as 2011 models presented November 2010. First new engine seems to be Izu, sponsored by BOI, but they are delayed as I understand

Correct, I've heard nothing about new diesels for 2010, other than the delayed Isuzu that you've heard about. The next-gen diesels are all earmarked for a late 2011 release (as noted in my original list).

Last I heard Isuzu was testing a new Air Cooled Diesel, no idea if and when it will if ever come to production.

Subrau new diesel for 2010 = turbocharged 2.0-litre Boxer diesel engine

Likewise the new Mitsubishi Pajero 2010 = turbocharged 2.0D Boxer diesel engine that produces 110kW of power and 350Nm of torque... or the 2.8 turbocharged diesel engine

No idea if these engines will be an option in Thailand ? or how far behind Thailand is to Japan.

Far behind on anything newly released internationally unfortunately, and when it gets here expect to pay double or triple UK prices. Honda and toyota are quick to the market with new releases by comparison.

More Updates:

Nissan "March" (eco-car) official launch: March 12, 2010.

Toyota VIOS minor change offical launch: March 13-14, 2010.

Ad Hondas new ecocar at 400k baht in December 2010.

Nissan March is exciting for LOS auto industri. Its going to be made in 4 countries, LOS, India, China and one more (forget).

Its going to be sold in 160 countries with same base spec. March is basicly a replacement for very popular Micra, adapted to BOI/LOS requirements of max 120g/co2 and max 1200cc.

More Updates:

Nissan March is exciting for LOS auto industri. Its going to be made in 4 countries, LOS, India, China and one more (forget).

Its going to be sold in 160 countries with same base spec. March is basicly a replacement for very popular Micra, adapted to BOI/LOS requirements of max 120g/co2 and max 1200cc.

The 98 HP supercharged version should be pretty cool! However this might be the top of the line version, and thus might have the cvt instead of manual gearbox. Even this model should achieve 20 km/l by their regulations, but given the traffic here it will be interesting to see what mileage is achieved. If the top model is fully kitted out 500K would represent great value for the top model.

More Updates:

Nissan "March

The new car will be equipped with a 3-cylinder 1.2L engine that Nissan says matches a 4-cylinder for refinement mated to the newly developed CVT.

post-42643-1267918113_thumb.jpg

More Updates:

The 98 HP supercharged version should be pretty cool! However this might be the top of the line version, and thus might have the cvt instead of manual gearbox. Even this model should achieve 20 km/l by their regulations, but given the traffic here it will be interesting to see what mileage is achieved. If the top model is fully kitted out 500K would represent great value for the top model.

Friend has a 2009 Wagon 'R' Turbo says no matter how he drives he still achieve 20 km/l, was supprised how fast it was.. Few years back in the UK same shape was called the Vauxhall Agila, beleive I only ever noticed little old Ladies driving them.

More Updates:

Friend has a 2009 Wagon 'R' Turbo says no matter how he drives he still achieve 20 km/l, was supprised how fast it was.. Few years back in the UK same shape was called the Vauxhall Agila, beleive I only ever noticed little old Ladies driving them.

Nissans 1,2/98hp supercharged direct injection has co2 95g/km which is 20% less than 1,2/80 hp. Indicates 20% better milage. I m really excited about this car(t) :)

^ Was just watching Top Car on BBC yesterday and they were very exited about the new Suzuki Swift!

I owned a swift mid nineties.....did over 300,000km and only ever had to replace battery once and 2 sets of tyres. Never lifted the bonnet. Never seemed to need stop at a gas station...just ran on the smell I think!! Can park in slots no one else can fit, but accelerate and keep up with much higher spec cars in the city. Ok on a trip. 100% reccommended.

More Updates:

Nissan "March

The new car will be equipped with a 3-cylinder 1.2L engine that Nissan says matches a 4-cylinder for refinement mated to the newly developed CVT.

interior spyshot

2010-nissan-march-micra-interior-k13.jpg

Unfortunately I don't foresee the Nissan March being anything close to a runaway success..

• It's a hatchback. While support for this body style is growing in LOS, it's hardly popular.
  • It frankly doesn't have the right brand to attract buyers who might otherwise look at an eco-car as a 2nd or 3rd household vehicle (which is it's most lucrative potential market).
  • It's styling is somewhere between horrid and tolerable (depending on personal tastes) - no-one is going to think it's the custest little thing they've ever seen though.
  • There's already established competition at the price point (~400K) in the Thai market (Kia, Proton, Naza, Chery), yet they are all underforming sales-wise.
  • The price point is way too high for the average Thai motorcycle owner to consider as their first step into the 4-wheeeled world. It'd need to be half of what it is to start stealing motorcyle customers.

I wish them all luck, but my gut tells me the only eco-cars that have a chance to sell in volume in LOS need brands that start with H or T..

UPDATE:

From the local Toyota dealer principal:

• The 2010 VIOS minor change has been delivered to most dealerships around the country now, and many are already promoting it in the showroom.
  • The Prius is now a strong possibility for a 2010 launch.
  • The on-and-off again 2010 minor change for Fortuner is now a "maybe".

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

^ it doesnt look like Suzuki Swift Thailand will have the Sports version here only GA & GL models whatever that is

anyone know the prices?

Like everything, if you want one then of course you can have one.. There was an advert for them a few weeks ago from a importer, but @ almost 1.3 million !!

More Updates:

Nissan "March

I'm excited about this, can't wait for the unvailing at Central World this weekend... although it has already been shown at the Geneva Auto Show.

So would it be safe to say that there will not be a new all new fortuner in the next two years?

Seems like it has been around for a long time?

Heard somebody talk about a new one coming soon?

Any info on this?

I was speaking to a Toyota dealer principal a few days ago, and he indicated that there's a "possibility" of a Fortuner minor change this year, however this may just manifest itself as another special model like the Aperto.

All light diesel manufacturers will be releasing updated models at the end of 2011/start of 2012, as mechanical changes are required in order to comply with the Euro IV standards legislated for 2012, however for Toyota this will only be a minor change. The Fortuner is based on the IMV(1) platform (which it shares with the VIGO and the Innova), and IMV2 is currently scheduled for a 2014 release - so there won't be a major model change until then.

More Updates:

Nissan March media day on March 12, 2010, with the official public launch on 13-14 March at Central World Plaza. Deliveires will start in April for manual gearbox versions, and in June for versions equipped with the CVT transmission.

Mazda 2 sedan official unveiling on March 15, 2010 with a two day media event planned for March 18-19 at Phuket. Pricing is yet to be announced, but Mazda have stated it will undercut both the Toyota VIOS and the Honda City.

Ford Fiesta official unveiling on March 16, 2010 - however no deliveries until August 2010 now (was previously expected to have availability in June). The range will feature a 4 door sedan and 5-door hatch, with a combination of 1.4L and 1.6L engines, and 5-speed manual and 6-speed powershift (dual clutch) transmissions.

More Updates:

Nissan March media day on March 12, 2010, with the official public launch on 13-14 March at Central World Plaza. Deliveires will start in April for manual gearbox versions, and in June for versions equipped with the CVT transmission.

Mazda 2 sedan official unveiling on March 15, 2010 with a two day media event planned for March 18-19 at Phuket. Pricing is yet to be announced, but Mazda have stated it will undercut both the Toyota VIOS and the Honda City.

Ford Fiesta official unveiling on March 16, 2010 - however no deliveries until August 2010 now (was previously expected to have availability in June). The range will feature a 4 door sedan and 5-door hatch, with a combination of 1.4L and 1.6L engines, and 5-speed manual and 6-speed powershift (dual clutch) transmissions.

I'm really excited about this car... already put a booking for and automatic.

I stand corrected about the cruze (stateside), will have a 1.8l NA making 138hp, and a 140hp 1.4l Turbo. Kinda a sad downgrade from the 260hp 2.2t Cobalt SS.

But with a 1.4t and 140hp, I wonder if they would be willing to market it in Thailand, FI cars are easy to mod and might be a good bang for the baht car.

There is also a TD version, Holden, in Australia. Wonder if we might see that.

I stand corrected about the cruze (stateside), will have a 1.8l NA making 138hp, and a 140hp 1.4l Turbo. Kinda a sad downgrade from the 260hp 2.2t Cobalt SS.

But with a 1.4t and 140hp, I wonder if they would be willing to market it in Thailand, FI cars are easy to mod and might be a good bang for the baht car.

There is also a TD version, Holden, in Australia. Wonder if we might see that.

engines in LOS between 1200cc and 1999cc all have same excise tax, so there is no reason to use the more expensive 1,4 turbo here. besides thais have an urge for cc.

probably they use the old 1,6 and 1,8 from Optra, since they already have a production line for them. Just like Toyota does, old engines for LOS. Only Honda seems to care to present upgraded engines

So would it be safe to say that there will not be a new all new fortuner in the next two years?

Seems like it has been around for a long time?

Heard somebody talk about a new one coming soon?

Any info on this?

I was speaking to a Toyota dealer principal a few days ago, and he indicated that there's a "possibility" of a Fortuner minor change this year, however this may just manifest itself as another special model like the Aperto.

All light diesel manufacturers will be releasing updated models at the end of 2011/start of 2012, as mechanical changes are required in order to comply with the Euro IV standards legislated for 2012, however for Toyota this will only be a minor change. The Fortuner is based on the IMV(1) platform (which it shares with the VIGO and the Innova), and IMV2 is currently scheduled for a 2014 release - so there won't be a major model change until then.

I dont understand how an engine change could be considered a minor change. That sort of thing is good enough to put me off buying. Perhaps its minor because they're going to keep the 2.5lt and just drop the 3.0......reading between the lines here. :)