New Cars Market In Thailand For 2010 And Beyond..

So would it be safe to say that there will not be a new all new fortuner in the next two years?

Seems like it has been around for a long time?

Heard somebody talk about a new one coming soon?

Any info on this?

I was speaking to a Toyota dealer principal a few days ago, and he indicated that there's a "possibility" of a Fortuner minor change this year, however this may just manifest itself as another special model like the Aperto.

All light diesel manufacturers will be releasing updated models at the end of 2011/start of 2012, as mechanical changes are required in order to comply with the Euro IV standards legislated for 2012, however for Toyota this will only be a minor change. The Fortuner is based on the IMV(1) platform (which it shares with the VIGO and the Innova), and IMV2 is currently scheduled for a 2014 release - so there won't be a major model change until then.

I dont understand how an engine change could be considered a minor change. That sort of thing is good enough to put me off buying. Perhaps its minor because they're going to keep the 2.5lt and just drop the 3.0......reading between the lines here. :)

toyotas 2,5 and 3,0 D4d are already EuroIV in Europe. 2 mechanical changes are needed on thai engine, ECU and particlefilter on exhaust. Minor change.

Vn turbo upgrade was done some months ago, but they kept the old ECU for 3,0, since the thai 4speed auto cant handle more power. In Europe it comes with another 5speed auto able to handle more power, and lower shiftpoint to max hp at 3600rpm. I ordered my 3,0 VN turbo in august to be delivered in November, and was hoping for the EU 5 speed auto, but TiT.

Edited by katabeachbum

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nissan March eco-car pricing and models announced

1.2 S MT 375,000 Baht

1.2 E MT 425,000 Baht

1.2 E CVT 459,000 Baht

1.2 EL CVT 489,000 Baht

1.2 V CVT 507,000 Baht

1.2 VL CVT 537,000 Baht

All models come with the same 1.2L 3-cylinder petrol engine with 59kW (79 PS) and 108 Nm, polluting the world with 120gm/km of CO2.

More info in the press release here (English)

As noted in my earlier post, deliveries will start in April for manual gearbox versions, and in June for versions equipped with the CVT transmission.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Nissan March eco-car pricing and models announced

1.2 S MT 375,000 Baht

1.2 E MT 425,000 Baht

1.2 E CVT 459,000 Baht

1.2 EL CVT 489,000 Baht

1.2 V CVT 507,000 Baht

1.2 VL CVT 537,000 Baht

All models come with the same 1.2L 3-cylinder petrol engine with 59kW (79 PS) and 108 Nm, polluting the world with 120gm/km of CO2.

More info in the press release here (English)

As noted in my earlier post, deliveries will start in April for manual gearbox versions, and in June for versions equipped with the CVT transmission.

Prices are still a bit sketchy... read in pantip forum that the management are lowering prices, which would match what the dealers have been saying....(top of the line model would not be more than 500,000 Baht).

Will be going to Central World today to check it out. I do hope that the top of the line model is not over 500k, since price is one of the major factor for me in choosing this car.

Prices are still a bit sketchy...

These prices are in fact official - refer to Nissan's press release (linked above), or the Redbook Thailand here to confirm :)

Sadly correct, I just checked the prices at Nissan Thailand website and it's posted there.

When I spoked to the sales, there were so sure and enthusiastic that it wouldn't be over 500k. I'm pretty sure they will get flak over this.

The top model price just encroaches into the Honda City territory... which doesn't make much sense.

Surprised there is nothing on the Fortuner.......it is due for an update.

I would think its safe to say it should be shelved all together - and prob will be -

(its not eco-friendly and its not going to be a very popular vehicle in 2014,

when we/our awareness edge even closer to

the notion of little/no fuel reserves on the planet)

This year Toyota came out with the new Altis NGV. I'm just wondering when they come out with the new vios, will they also make an NGV. NGV in Thailand is great for in town driving where you have lots of stop and go. On the highway I always get excellent mileage from my vios, but in town it drops from 18 kilometers to 12 for one litre of petrol.

Barry

Surprised there is nothing on the Fortuner.......it is due for an update.

I would think its safe to say it should be shelved all together - and prob will be -

(its not eco-friendly and its not going to be a very popular vehicle in 2014,

when we/our awareness edge even closer to

the notion of little/no fuel reserves on the planet)

agree, should be shelved, so every one can buy the larger Landcruiser. Fortuner is to tiny and light and pollutes to little

So would it be safe to say that there will not be a new all new fortuner in the next two years?

Seems like it has been around for a long time?

Heard somebody talk about a new one coming soon?

Any info on this?

I was speaking to a Toyota dealer principal a few days ago, and he indicated that there's a "possibility" of a Fortuner minor change this year, however this may just manifest itself as another special model like the Aperto.

All light diesel manufacturers will be releasing updated models at the end of 2011/start of 2012, as mechanical changes are required in order to comply with the Euro IV standards legislated for 2012, however for Toyota this will only be a minor change. The Fortuner is based on the IMV(1) platform (which it shares with the VIGO and the Innova), and IMV2 is currently scheduled for a 2014 release - so there won't be a major model change until then.

I dont understand how an engine change could be considered a minor change. That sort of thing is good enough to put me off buying. Perhaps its minor because they're going to keep the 2.5lt and just drop the 3.0......reading between the lines here. :)

toyotas 2,5 and 3,0 D4d are already EuroIV in Europe. 2 mechanical changes are needed on thai engine, ECU and particlefilter on exhaust. Minor change.

Vn turbo upgrade was done some months ago, but they kept the old ECU for 3,0, since the thai 4speed auto cant handle more power. In Europe it comes with another 5speed auto able to handle more power, and lower shiftpoint to max hp at 3600rpm. I ordered my 3,0 VN turbo in august to be delivered in November, and was hoping for the EU 5 speed auto, but TiT.

Thanks for the information big fella, i only just reading this now. I was looking towards buying a new hilux but was putting it off until later this year for a number or reasons...hopefully they makes some changes as you describe for then. But TIT, so who knows.

I was looking towards buying a new hilux but was putting it off until later this year for a number or reasons...hopefully they makes some changes as you describe for then. But TIT, so who knows.

The engine changes to make the VIGO Euro IV compliant wont' be happening until the end of 2011 as the fuel grade required to support it simply isn't going to be widely available in Thailand until November 2011.

There will be a nano change for the VIGO in 2010 however, but nano changes by definitition are small - so don't expect too much.. I'm still awaiting further intel on timing for this. The recent heavy production cuts for the VIGO line may indicate it's coming soon, then again they may just indicate a depressed market too..

To reiterate, this is the current schedule for the Hilux VIGO:

2010: VIGO nano change.

2011: VIGO extensive-yet-minor change.

2014: New Hilux (codename IMV2)

Note that these are actual Gregorian calendar years, not American-style model years :)

The official unveiling of the Fiesta will proceed as planned today at the MA DU ZI hotel on Ratchadapisek (it's an invitation event for those thinking of gate crashing).

Both the 5-door hatch and the 4-door sedan will be on display. More info as it comes..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

The official unveiling of the Fiesta will proceed as planned today at the MA DU ZI hotel on Ratchadapisek (it's an invitation event for those thinking of gate crashing).

Both the 5-door hatch and the 4-door sedan will be on display. More info as it comes..

Please post pricings.

Mazda 2 Sedan Pricing and Models announced:

Groove M/T - 535,000 Baht

Groove A/T - 564,000 Baht

Spirit S A/T - 615,000 Baht

Maxx A/T- 675,000 Baht

All models share the same 1.5L engine and transmissons as the hatchback variant.

The Groove variants come standard with driver's airbag & ABS, making them an absolute price match for the equivelant Toyota VIOS J w/ABS.

From the rumor mill..

Nissan Thailand are apparently looking into 2 more variants of the March eco-car - the first a 4-door version, and the second being a mini-MPV, which would also become the first candidate for the supercharged 98PS 1.2L engine. Nothing will be happening with either of these until at least 2011 though.

Also, it appears that BMW are set to launch a 2.0L turbo diesel powered X1 at this year's motor show (which starts on 26 March) - no pricing has been announced, but expect it to be well North of 3M Baht.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

From the rumor mill..

Nissan Thailand are apparently looking into 2 more variants of the March eco-car - the first a 4-door version, and the second being a mini-MPV, which would also become the first candidate for the supercharged 98PS 1.2L engine. Nothing will be happening with either of these until at least 2011 though.

Also, it appears that BMW are set to launch a 2.0L turbo diesel powered X1 at this year's motor show (which starts on 26 March) - no pricing has been announced, but expect it to be well North of 3M Baht.

Well north of 3m baht ? then it will be a flop like the petrol version... In fact the offical price

2010 BMW 120d is listed @ 3.7m baht !!>>> The X3 has more kit + room and cost 3.3m baht for the 2.0DCT

2010 Mercedes-Benz B180 CDi with the 2lt CDi cost 2.7 mill.... 1million less + for a Benz

2010 Volvo C30 2lt petrol, far better looking + fully loaded starts at 1.8 mill

As it would appear that more and more Thais are buying 3 and 5 door models is it not time for Toyota to start ? they have them everywhere but Thailand, except for the petrol Yaris and truck based Avanza.. Wake up Toyota Thais are buying Hatchbacks + diesel

Edit: Toyota Corrola + Auris in the UK are top sellers in 3 or 5 door + have petrol or the D4D.. as this is Thailand these models would sell because of the name, cannot understand why Toyota do not sell here.. NO I am NOT a Toyota man, don't like + never had, but if these 2 models were in Thailand then just maybe would look

Edited by ignis

But none the less, I think the new fiesta is sexy, coupled with the TDI it would be a gas sipper and great for Thailand too.

Yes, the Fiesta Econetic with it's 1.6L turbo diesel is a real "gas" sipper - better than the Toyota Prius hybrid in fact @ 27 KM/L (3.7L/100 KM or 65.5 MPG [uS]). However the Econetic engine is currently only built in Germany and requires Euro IV diesel which Thailand won't see until 2012, so at this stage it's a non-starter for the local market.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Some quick Ford Fiesta news from the rumour mill..

The range will apparently feature the following models:

"Style" - 1.4L 5-door hatch, manual

"Style" - 1.4L 5-door hatch, auto

"Style" - 1.4L 4-door saloon, auto (no manual option for the saloon)

"Trend" - 1.6L 5-door hatch, 6-speed powershift

"Trend" - 1.6L 4-door saloon, 6-speed powershift

"Sport" - 1.6L 5-door hatch, 6-speed powershift

"Sport" 1.6L 4-door saloon, 6-speed powershift

"Style" models include driver's airbag, ABS, immobilizer, power windows, power mirrors, CD/MP3 player and 15" steel wheels. The hatch also gets a rear spoiler.

"Trend" models add folding mirrors, passenger airbag and 15" alloy wheels - along with the larger engine and powershift transmission of course.

"Sport" models add fog lights, reverse parking sensors, steering wheel mounted audio controls, CD/MP3 player with voice control, Bluetooth, USB and ipod connectivity and 16" alloys. The 4-door saloon also gets a black leather interior and automatic climate control, while the hatch gets upgraded "sports" trim.

The 1.4L manages 15KM/L on the city cycle while the 1.6L manages 17KM/L in the same test.

Prices will range from 530,000 Baht for the base Style model, up to 730,000 Baht for the top-spec Sport badge with all the goodies. The initial campaign will start off with finance at 1.99% PA and free 1-year first class insurance. Bookings will start being accepted during the motorshow (starting on the 26th), with delivery timeframes of up to 7 months (depending on model).

Unfortunately that's all I was able to glean so far - I guess we'll know more (and how accurate the mole was) after the official public launch on the 26th! :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Why when we have seen a devaluation of the pound by almost 35% have british built cars not hit the thai market at sensible prices, and a lot of euro cars are made in britain plus jap motors too.

As far as I'm aware, the only UK sourced vehicles for sale in Thailand are Aston Martin, Bentley, Jaguar, Land Rover and Lotus - which all combined sell less than 1,500 units per year in Thailand - so not enough to get any economy of scale. Then of course there's the conundrum of alienating loyal customers who would be hit with massive devaluations on their existing (pricey) cars, and then how to recover face all over again when the pound regains some of it's composure and the prices have to go up again.

But all of that is moot - the fact is not one of the UK brands is a value proposition in Thailand, and the few people who do buy them do so for status reasons alone.. The price is expected to remain high to keep the riff-raff out of their exclusive club :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Why when we have seen a devaluation of the pound by almost 35% have british built cars not hit the thai market at sensible prices, and a lot of euro cars are made in britain plus jap motors too.

As far as I'm aware, the only UK sourced vehicles for sale in Thailand are Aston Martin, Bentley, Jaguar, Land Rover and Lotus - which all combined sell less than 1,500 units per year in Thailand - so not enough to get any economy of scale. Then of course there's the conundrum of alienating loyal customers who would be hit with massive devaluations on their existing (pricey) cars, and then how to recover face all over again when the pound regains some of it's composure and the prices have to go up again.

But all of that is moot - the fact is not one of the UK brands is a value proposition in Thailand, and the few people who do buy them do so for status reasons alone.. The price is expected to remain high to keep the riff-raff out of their exclusive club :)

Current motor vehicle production plants in the UK

Company Parent company Brands produced Models Location Production (2007)

AC Cars AC Cars Limited AC AC MKVI ? ?

Alexander Dennis Alexander Dennis Alexander Dennis Enviro 200Dart, Enviro300, Enviro400 Falkirk

Alexander Dennis Alexander Dennis Alexander Dennis Javelin chassis, R-Series chassis, Enviro300 chassis Guildford ?

Ariel Ariel Limited Ariel Ariel Atom Crewkerne ?

Ascari Cars Ascari Cars Ltd Ascari Cars Ascari Ecosse, Ascari A10 Banbury ?

Aston Martin Aston Martin[10] Aston Martin Vantage, DB9 Gaydon 1,476 (2003)[11]

Bentley Volkswagen Group Bentley Arnage, Azure, Continental GT, Continental Flying Spur Crewe 10,014

Bristol Cars Bristol Cars Bristol Blenheim, Fighter, Blenheim Speedster Filton ?

Caterham Caterham Cars Caterham R400, CSR260 Dartford 435 (2003)[11]

Dennis Eagle Ros Roca Dennis Duo, One Pass, Beta 2 Warwick ?

Ford Ford Ford Transit Southampton 75,662[12]

Ginetta Cars LNT Automotive Ginetta G20r Leeds ?

GMM Luton Vehicles[13] General Motors Vauxhall, Opel, Renault, Nissan Opel/Vauxhall Vivaro, Renault Trafic, Nissan Primastar Luton 74,000 (2003)[11]

Honda Honda Honda CR-V, Civic Swindon 237,783[14]

Jaguar Land Rover[15] Tata Motors[16] Jaguar XF, XJ, XK[17] Castle Bromwich 54,030(Includes Halewood production)[12]

Jaguar Land Rover Tata Motors Jaguar, Land Rover Jaguar X-Type, Land Rover Freelander 2[17] Halewood[15] see JLR Castle Bromwich and Solihull

Jaguar Land Rover Tata Motors[16] Land Rover Defender, Discovery 4, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover Solihull[17] 234,647(Includes Halewood production)[12]

Leyland Trucks PACCAR DAF DAF CF, DAF LF, DAF XF[18] Leyland 17,478[19]

LTI Manganese Bronze LTI TX4 Coventry 2,346 (2003)[11]

Lotus Proton Lotus, Vauxhall, Opel Lotus Elise, Lotus Exige, Lotus Europa S, Vauxhall VX220, Opel Speedster Hethel 2,935 (Lotus + GM)

MG Motor UK SAIC MG MG TF Longbridge ?

MINI BMW MINI MINI Cowley, Oxford 237,700[20]

Marcos Marcos Marcos TSO Kenilworth ?

McLaren McLaren Group Mercedes-Benz40% Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Woking 286[21]

Morgan Morgan Motor Company Morgan Morgan Aero 8, Morgan Plus 4 Malvern 516 (2003)[11]

Nissan UK Nissan Motors Nissan Micra, Micra CC, Note, Qashqai Sunderland 353,718[22]

Noble Automotive Ltd Noble Automotive Ltd Noble Noble M12, Noble M14 Barwell ?

Optare Optare Optare Solo, Alero Leeds ?

Plaxton Plaxton Plaxton Panther, Paragon, Profile, Primo, Centro Scarborough ?

Plaxton Plaxton Plaxton Cheetah, Pronto, Beaver Sheffield ?

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars BMW Rolls-Royce Phantom Goodwood 1,029[20]

Toyota Toyota Toyota Avensis, Auris Burnaston 277,637[23]

TVR TVR TVR Sagaris, Tuscan, T350, Tamora Blackpool 871 (2003)[11]

Wrightbus Wrightbus Wright bus Wright Eclipse, Wright Solar, Wright Pulsar Ballymena ?

Vauxhall General Motors Vauxhall, Opel Astra Ellesmere Port 115,476[24]

[edit]

Note toyota honda and nissan plus mini and ford. Britain has a massive car making industry all right hand drive and now 35% cheaper then pre GFC the question remains.

I was looking towards buying a new hilux but was putting it off until later this year for a number or reasons...hopefully they makes some changes as you describe for then. But TIT, so who knows.

The engine changes to make the VIGO Euro IV compliant wont' be happening until the end of 2011 as the fuel grade required to support it simply isn't going to be widely available in Thailand until November 2011.

There will be a nano change for the VIGO in 2010 however, but nano changes by definitition are small - so don't expect too much.. I'm still awaiting further intel on timing for this. The recent heavy production cuts for the VIGO line may indicate it's coming soon, then again they may just indicate a depressed market too..

To reiterate, this is the current schedule for the Hilux VIGO:

2010: VIGO nano change.

2011: VIGO extensive-yet-minor change.

2014: New Hilux (codename IMV2)

Note that these are actual Gregorian calendar years, not American-style model years :D

Thanks for the info MRO, you've got a great and very interesting thread running...keep up the good work. :)

Note toyota honda and nissan plus mini and ford. Britain has a massive car making industry all right hand drive and now 35% cheaper then pre GFC the question remains.

Unfortunately Thailand's custom duties, excise taxes and VAT on imported vehicles (which in total range from 188% to 328% on the cost-including-freight value), make it meaningless to try to import most of your list there. Even Australia who have a Free Trade Agreement (and who also manufacture a broad range of vehicles) can't make econonmical sense out of it, so UK manufacturers have no chance :)

Top model Honda Jazz in 2004 in UK was 12,700 GBP here the top model was just on 8,000 GBP... I sold mine here after 4 years, in the UK a 4 year old one was still more expensive than a brand new one here

Going to present day the New Nissan Micra [March] starts at 10,400 GBP in the UK for the basic manual model....

The Ford Fiesta today in the UK start at 11,536 GBP for the basic model