Anyone Else Frustrated By This "service Charge" Concept In Thailand?

somefellow

Sorry folks, I need to vent here. Is anyone else frustrated by this ridiculous concept of the "10% service charge" in thailand? What the *** is that?

I would assume some degree of service would be necessary in the provision of goods and services in the first place, and would expect any charges related to that to be included in the original price. For example, upper-end hotels customarily crank up the bill by an extra 10% at the time of checkout and say it's due to a "service charge".

This is ridiculous. If the money were a tip going specifically to the person(s) who provided the service (waiter, etc.) then it would still be arsinine, but would make slightly more sense. What the 10% service charge represents is them not telling you what their real price is in the first place, or rather, fraudulently posting one price then attempting to bait-and-switch, cranking up the price an extra 10% at the last minute when you're about to pay.

Sorry, this is bullshit. They should list what the price is. If the prices are 10% higher than listed, just revise the freakin menu, tariff list, etc. to reflect the real price.

This is so asinine.

Edited by somefellow

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have found the 10% service charge mainly in the tourist sectors, be it a restaurant that caters to tourists, a hotel or whatever. I dont ususally see it where thais go. Most times you will see a plus 10% service charge on the menu , probably discretly at the bottom.

If it really annoys you eat away from the tourist areas, you get to experience the real Thailand that way imo :)

In the international chain managed hotels the service charge will be calculated and divided equally between all the staff (including back of house) at the end of the month.

Edited by mca

I wouldn't really mind that much if the SERVICE STAFF was getting the "service Charge" but they are not, this is just a way for management to increase prices

I don't care who's getting it , I just care to minimize the amount leaving my wallet.

So unless the price including the 10% surcharge is still convenient for what they sell , they are not going to see me anymore.

I actually like the places who jam on the 10% service charge, I dont feel in anyway obliged to leave a tip !!

That is what it is all about!

It's easier for accounting, to sort out the "Tip" the extra income for the staff, which it is meant for!

It is an incentive raising concept, the more attentive staff is, the better the customer feels and the more

he may feel to spend - so 10% are coming as extra-Income" into the paycheck.

If "service charge is acounted for and shows on the bill don't tip!

I wouldn't really mind that much if the SERVICE STAFF was getting the "service Charge" but they are not, this is just a way for management to increase prices

I don't care who's getting it , I just care to minimize the amount leaving my wallet.

So unless the price including the 10% surcharge is still convenient for what they sell , they are not going to see me anymore.

thats why we usually go local "mom and pop" businesses you dont often see 10% added in there

I'm guessing you're American? We're the only ones who get upset about this, because it's commonplace in the U.K. and Europe. One bad habit the Thais are picking up from the West. When Thai entrepreneurs travel abroad and pay these sometimes hidden charges, the light bulb goes on! :)

thats why we usually go local "mom and pop" businesses you dont often see 10% added in there

On the contrary....often get 10% added to the dish.....must be my captivating smile.... :)

That change is provided to the employees and amounts to a large percentage of there income at most places.

That change is provided to the employees

that's the way it should be but many places are refraining from giving that change to the end user,as the tips for example, many unscrupoulous entrepeneur are deprivating their staff even of this international "institution" and i am not talking specifically of Thailand, happens in Europe too. :)

i get very frustrated with the service charge here since it appears that service is an unknown concept here :)

Customer should be given a choice to either reward or not for the service provided, personally when i spot a place with these mostly "hidden" extra charges i never leave tips by principle and then i would not go back the next time (ie: Fuji).

I actually like the places who jam on the 10% service charge, I dont feel in anyway obliged to leave a tip !!

Ok first of all have given all together about customer service in Thailand, so since I accepted this I have had peace over here :D

Second i agree with OP whenever I see a service charge in my bill I do give any tip at all, I figure the service charge is the same as bill. Service charges are also a way to hide the real prices from the customer, till is too late and you have to pay :)

It is common worldwide in place for Tourists.

Additional often the prices are also without tax.

Why not add a meat surcharge, a cooking gas surcharge, a handling surcharge. a sitting surcharge, a dish washer surcharge......

It is common worldwide in place for Tourists.

Additional often the prices are also without tax.

Why not add a meat surcharge, a cooking gas surcharge, a handling surcharge. a sitting surcharge, a dish washer surcharge......

It's all in.......10% .....service charge!!!...... :D ........great explanation of what a service charge covers..... :)

now perhaps people won't feel so bad about paying it???

Not just a Thai thing. A lot of restaurants in the UK do this as well.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

Op, just avoid any place that practices this. Most hotels three star and up will automatically bung on a charge on check out. Best way to avoid that one is to book online. :)

That change is provided to the employees

that's the way it should be but many places are refraining from giving that change to the end user,as the tips for example, many unscrupoulous entrepeneur are deprivating their staff even of this international "institution" and i am not talking specifically of Thailand, happens in Europe too. :)

That is exactly what I was going to say. The service charge is just a way to extract more from customers without them understanding what is going on - they think that it is a tip - and it hardly ever goes to the staff. sad.gif

Why it is so hard not to understand this. When your menu says 100 baht ++ you add the VAT and Service on top of the 100 base price. I instantly know how much it is going to cost me right there and then before i place an order.

Same works for me in US as well. When going for a meal i see the price in the menu and add 15 to 20% on top of it for tips when comparing the prices.

And i actually prefer the service carge, that is flat 10% everywhere so there is no need to dig out the calculators and listen half table bitching about tipping and other half telling you off for not tipping enough.

On the contrary....often get 10% added to the dish.....must be my captivating smile.... :)

a smile always goes a long way here, in most instances, you will get good service and probably a smile back

I was in a restaurant in Pattaya a few months ago. It took ages for my meal to arrive, and then they had forgotten to bring any cutlery. I asked for cutlery to a waiter and he asked a waitress to bring it. She gave the cutlery to the wrong table, and when I pointed out it was for me she angrily said to me "You wait, I am serving these people".

When the bill arrived it included 10% service charge. I refused to pay, and gave the exact money. They were not happy with this, but I just left. Thank God they didn't send any baseball bat wielding guys after me!

My point is, that it is up to the customer whether to tip or not, and that is dependent on the service you receive. An addition of 10% to the bill does not encourage good service as they know they will get it no matter how bad the service is. Let the customer decide!!

And on the other hand tipping leads the staff just to annoy the customers by begging the tips in means of being in your face all the time asking "everything ok", "do you need anything else", "are you sure everything ok", "how about something more to drink", "if everything is ok? enjoy your meal"...

And this is exactly what happened to me during dinner just this wednesday in "farangland" with tipping culture. And it was repeated twice during the meal. Now nothing more annoying when you are trying to enjoy your food and have a conversation with your friend. They maybe think this justifies their 25% expected tips but i just call it bad service.

Being polite and providing good service (when it is required or asked for) is not about pestering your customers to death.

Edit: needless to say, i didn't leave any tip...

Edited by MJo