Halogen Ovens,telescopes And Crisps.

eMzyme

Hello all!

Does anybody know how much a halogen oven/telescope would be (weighing 20 pounds and costing approximately 60 pounds) to send from the UK to Thailand? Also, what would the deal be with import taxes - could it just be marked down as a gift if a relative sent it? Has anybody been able to receive heavy items from Amazon/E-bay that would save me the bother of having one sent by family?

On another note, does anybody have one of these and if so could tell me whether it would work through the Thai electrics okay with a standard travel adaptor?

One last thing, in the event of postage being high/the thing not working with a standard adaptor, has anybody seen these ovens around in Thailand as I've not seen them over here anywhere to date and buying one here would be an easier option...

Also does anyone know if Monster Munch are available in bangkok? if not what would that cost to send obviously the box would be light and almost worthless(unless you love Monster Munch!) but it would be large.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any replies.

Dunno about the cost of posting Monster Munch, but when I suggested to my girlfriend that we buy a halogen oven in the UK and cart it to Thailand she advised me that you can buy them in Big C for about 1500B, so that's what we did.

If you do buy one overseas, I think they cost in the region of 2000B in the UK, then pay for it to be sent to Thailand, possibly paying the same again and maybe a bit for the Customs, you will be pleased to know that the electrical requirements are the same, but you might have to pay 10B for a new plug.

Sorry as well as not knowing the cost of posting Monster Munch cannot help with the enquiry about the telescope.

Dunno about the cost of posting Monster Munch, but when I suggested to my girlfriend that we buy a halogen oven in the UK and cart it to Thailand she advised me that you can buy them in Big C for about 1500B, so that's what we did.

If you do buy one overseas, I think they cost in the region of 2000B in the UK, then pay for it to be sent to Thailand, possibly paying the same again and maybe a bit for the Customs, you will be pleased to know that the electrical requirements are the same, but you might have to pay 10B for a new plug.

Sorry as well as not knowing the cost of posting Monster Munch cannot help with the enquiry about the telescope.

cheers old git,I have seen those oven things in big c and home pro but I thought they were different from a halogen oven.

I saw them in Tesco's yesterday, they were on offer for slightly inder 1200B.

I think they are the about same as you can buy in the UK, but I don't think they call them halogen ovens here, I think they are called convection ovens though mine doesn't light up.

http://www.otto.co.th/products_convection_oven.html

I use mine constantly, cooking a full roast most weekends, even managed a full Cristmas dinner. I successfully cooked pies and cakes as well.

• 5 months later...

I have bought several heavyish items (c20lbs) from Ebay in the US. All arrived promptly by US priority mail and I had to pick them up at the post office and pay some duty but the post office is not too punitive in calculating duty, unlike courier companies which delight in charging the maximum duty possible. You have to be sure the seller deals with overseas shipping. Many won't and some do but won't send to Thailand or other countries with high fraud rates. It also helps to have a good track record with Ebay. Amazon will not send any electrical goods overseas but I have ordered books and DVDs many times. The latter are liable to duty but the Thai post office usually lets them through without assessing duty.

Here is a halogen oven being offered on Sanook.com in Thailand for B2990. http://shopping.sanook.com/buy/buy_detail.php?nitemID=5226147

Edited by Arkady

Out of curiosity why do you Brits call them "halogens?"

They've been used in the states for years. Just a normal heating element and a circulating fan. Halogens are extremely bright and hot light bulbs. Food doesn't need light to cook as far as I know.

Is there a reason infrared radiation produced by a halogen lamp is somehow better than infrared radiation produced by a normal heating element?

I'm very curious to know if there is a scientific reason behind this or just clever marketing by some British firm that got into the local lexicon.

Out of curiosity why do you Brits call them "halogens?"

They've been used in the states for years. Just a normal heating element and a circulating fan. Halogens are extremely bright and hot light bulbs. Food doesn't need light to cook as far as I know.

Is there a reason infrared radiation produced by a halogen lamp is somehow better than infrared radiation produced by a normal heating element?

I'm very curious to know if there is a scientific reason behind this or just clever marketing by some British firm that got into the local lexicon.

I think the later, certainly that's what it says on the box.

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/coopers-of-stortford-halogen-oven-prodst07719i/

I have bought several heavyish items (c20lbs) from Ebay in the US. All arrived promptly by US priority mail and I had to pick them up at the post office and pay some duty but the post office is not too punitive in calculating duty, unlike courier companies which delight in charging the maximum duty possible. You have to be sure the seller deals with overseas shipping. Many won't and some do but won't send to Thailand or other countries with high fraud rates. It also helps to have a good track record with Ebay. Amazon will not send any electrical goods overseas but I have ordered books and DVDs many times. The latter are liable to duty but the Thai post office usually lets them through without assessing duty.

Here is a halogen oven being offered on Sanook.com in Thailand for B2990. http://shopping.sano...nitemID=5226147

Cheers Arkady ....I have been looking for a small oven - I only rent my apartment in Thailand and have the standard two rusty steel plates to fry / boil on and a microwave.

Microwave food will kill you faster than a speeding bullet......now I standby and wait for the T.V. microwave oven experts to tell me I am typing crap....:blink:

The first microwave oven I ever had clearly stated in the operating manual ..........."Do not stand within feet of the oven whilst it is switched on":o

What does everyone do......the put their head upto the door and try to peer in and see if the food is ready...whilst melting the last bits of grey matter inside their cranium with high levels of microwave radiation.....not a good idea.

This Halogen oven is just what I need to bake / roast / and make all manner of food.

I don't care about the technology behind it - One picture shows a whole frickin chicken roasting away in it................:D

OP why would anyone want to eat Monster Munch...there are equally bad Thai versions of polystyrene packing you can eat on sale in the 7/11's :bah:

Edited by lonewolf99

I saw them in Tesco's yesterday, they were on offer for slightly inder 1200B.

I think they are the about same as you can buy in the UK, but I don't think they call them halogen ovens here, I think they are called convection ovens though mine doesn't light up.

http://www.otto.co.th/products_convection_oven.html

I use mine constantly, cooking a full roast most weekends, even managed a full Cristmas dinner. I successfully cooked pies and cakes as well.

How do you manage to cook pies in them and do you have any recipes?

I have had one for a few years but it got lost when we moved up here and only found it a few weeks ago.