Uk Nationals Residing In Thailand Permanently

Digitalbanana

I am a UK national now living permanently in Thailand. I never return to the UK and have no home there or much contacts. As such would I be better off seeking health treatment in Thailand and paying for it or trying to access the UK's NHS if that is still possible? If the NHS is an option how does one go about contacting them from a home in Thailand?

As a Brit you are eligible for NHS treatment on an emergency basis in country and for all treatment once you have arrived back in the UK with the express intent of returning to stay for good. Trying to organise something with the NHS from Thailand will be tricky if not impossible. I've been paying for my own medical treatment here for the past eight years and mostly I find it to be very cost effective. I had a heart procedure a couple of years ago and I compared costs between Bumrungrad and UK private hospitals - BUPA Spire hospitals wanted £15k (plus travel and accommodation costs) whilst Bumrungrad only wanted £2.2.

Edited by chiang mai

Just had my mate join me for a holiday together in Thailand. He is a doctor with a practise in Australia. He does locum work in hospitals in London regularly. He had a look around a couple of hospitals in Thailand and his comment was that if you are in need of medical then Australia and Thailand are a far better bet than UK. He seems to think the NHS is a disaster. He was very doubtful about Thai medical standards at first but now seems to have completely changed his mind - guess he checked out the expensive places. From what I understand UK has huge waiting lists for everything and the staff are worked off their feet. He seemed quite impressed by the medical standards of Thai hospitals and blown away by the charges being very low in comparison.

The British Government was trying to Bring in a new law, Any one who has not lived in the UK for 6 months forfeited there rights to the NHS. I do not know if it has come in yet, but to be honest the sooner the better,

As long as the person is paying their National Insurance (or had built up their 35 years worth of credits) I don't see how that is fair.

The service has been paid for, they should be allowed to use it.

The British Government was trying to Bring in a new law, Any one who has not lived in the UK for 6 months forfeited there rights to the NHS. I do not know if it has come in yet, but to be honest the sooner the better,

As long as the person is paying their National Insurance (or had built up their 35 years worth of credits) I don't see how that is fair.

The service has been paid for, they should be allowed to use it.

Unfortunatly, fairness doesnt come into it...only residency does

A lot of people are falling for the BS they are fed all their lives that "If you pay into a system all your life, its OK, because that system will be there for you, when its YOUR turn to need it"

Heres just 2 links that disprove that theory.

Here and Here

Ok, its the Daily Mail doing the reporting, but you can find more form other sources if you dig around.

We need to become more cynical and aware, instead of letting thexe things hit us in the face like its doing to more and more expats who are naive enough to believe in what they are brainwashed into.

BTW, this isnt a new act, but one thats been in force since the late eighties.

Penkoprod

You don't mention your age but you can get free treatment if you receive a UK pension in Thailand and have lived in the UK for 10 years in the past.

There are other categories that you may apply under.

Look at Mossfinn's post for the info.

From what I have been told, you only have to state your intention to reside in the UK again and you can get free treatment. Not sure if this is true though.

...From what I have been told, you only have to state your intention to reside in the UK again and you can get free treatment. Not sure if this is true though.

That would be free treatment in the UK, not in Thailand, I understand. The OP is asking whether the NHS will pay for his medical treatment in Thailand, and he does not want to go and live in the UK again.

Digitalbanana, there is a link to "Insurance" at the top of this page. I don't know if there is anything there that would meet your needs but if you have the time there's no harm in looking at it, I guess.

--

Maestro

Just had my mate join me for a holiday together in Thailand. He is a doctor with a practise in Australia. He does locum work in hospitals in London regularly. He had a look around a couple of hospitals in Thailand and his comment was that if you are in need of medical then Australia and Thailand are a far better bet than UK. He seems to think the NHS is a disaster. He was very doubtful about Thai medical standards at first but now seems to have completely changed his mind - guess he checked out the expensive places. From what I understand UK has huge waiting lists for everything and the staff are worked off their feet. He seemed quite impressed by the medical standards of Thai hospitals and blown away by the charges being very low in comparison.

He has a practice in Australia and he does locum work in the UK? How does he commute? Catch the bus? Do you actually have any experience of using the NHS or is your 'from what I understand' completely anecdotal?

Edit for spelling

Edited by endure

You don't mention your age but you can get free treatment if you receive a UK pension in Thailand and have lived in the UK for 10 years in the past.

There are other categories that you may apply under.

Look at Mossfinn's post for the info.

From what I have been told, you only have to state your intention to reside in the UK again and you can get free treatment. Not sure if this is true though.

Quoted from the web site Khunden refers to and MF kindly provided

Visitors who can receive NHS hospital treatment free of charge

You and your dependants are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment if your need for it arose during your visit to the UK. A medical opinion may be needed in order to decide if treatment should be provided free of charge. You have the right to free NHS hospital treatment if:-

you are a national of an European Economic Area (EEA) country, living in an EEA state or Switzerland, or a refugee or stateless person living in an EEA state or Switzerland, or you are a non-EEA national who lives in an EU state and pays national insurance contributions there

you normally live abroad, and are receiving a UK state pension, and have lived in the UK in the past for at least ten years

you have lived in the UK for at least ten years in the past, but now live in an EEA state, or in a non-EEA state with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement

you are a national, or a resident of certain non-EEA countries, with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement.

EEA countries are the European Union countries and Liechtenstein, Iceland and Norway.

To find out which countries are in the European Union, go to The European Union.

In addition, people from some countries can get free hospital treatment if they have been referred to the UK for that treatment, under the terms of the reciprocal agreement. There are also special arrangements with certain countries which enable people from outside the UK to get free treatment. The Department of Health can give details of countries with which the UK has a reciprocal agreement and for which there are special arrangements.

Unquote

Read through the list carefully as you could miss important info hidden in the detail.

At least pensioners that come under this criteria, can / should get free NHS treatment should they need to return for emergencies.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

The OP is asking whether the NHS will pay for his medical treatment in Thailand, and he does not want to go and live in the UK again.

Just to correct this point, I meant to ask if the NHS would treat me in the UK (not Thailand). I would consider returning there as an option if it was available and easy, but sounds like its not. I do have have International Bupa insurance, but think I will increase the premium to cover all eventualities and get things tended to at Thai hospitals when/if they arise.

Thanks to all for the other valuable input, pls continue if you have any other points. Thanks.

The OP is asking whether the NHS will pay for his medical treatment in Thailand, and he does not want to go and live in the UK again.

Just to correct this point, I meant to ask if the NHS would treat me in the UK (not Thailand). I would consider returning there as an option if it was available and easy, but sounds like its not. I do have have International Bupa insurance, but think I will increase the premium to cover all eventualities and get things tended to at Thai hospitals when/if they arise.

Thanks to all for the other valuable input, pls continue if you have any other points. Thanks.

See the last post if you are an OAP and fit the qualifying period of having spent ten of your years / life, living in the U.K. it is a yes qualifying for treatment.

In any case as some have maybe mentioned, go home, see your last registered family doctor if possible and they can refer you for further hospitalised treatment, especially in an emergency.

Other than that you could try direct contact with the hospital E. / Casualty dept, but forget to say your coming in from overseas and be conservative with the information, acting a bit confused as some pensioners are in later life will not harm your situation re answers to certain questions they may ask you.

Conservative as in economical with the truth

Edited by marshbags

See the last post if you are an OAP and fit the qualifying period of having spent ten of your years / life, living in the U.K. it is a yes qualifying for treatment.

In any case as some have maybe mentioned, go home, see your last registered family doctor if possible and they can refer you for further hospitalised treatment, especially in an emergency.

Other than that you could try direct contact with the hospital E. / Casualty dept, but forget to say your coming in from overseas and be conservative with the information, acting a bit confused as some pensioners are in later life will not harm your situation re answers to certain questions they may ask you.

Conservative as in economical with the truth

I do think it is fair

born in Germany grew up UK since 10 years + in France

I will be covered by the CE f (caisse francaise etrangere)as Thailand is a non EU Country

It will be something as 100 EU monthly or a bit less

like they cover me in France.

As a doctor in France charges u 24 EU 40 EU just to say hello

it is not bad at all...LOL

U should have a similar organism in UK

even for me in France it was a bit tricky to get in contact

as private schemes does pop up first hand !

The UK is the largest employee in the UK with staff in excess of 1,000,000 employees,although some expats and others would disagree it is still considered by many to be the best health service in the world.

Those that dont agree should try the USA, Australia,and Thailand and dont forget to have lots of money/medical insurance available.

For very urgent cases in the UK there are no waiting lists.

You will not be covered by the NHS

Sorry to contradict,but I believe that as a British Citizen he will not be turned away by the NHS.

My Thai wife is on a Settlement Visa and is also fully covered for NHS treatment.

You will not be covered by the NHS

Sorry to contradict,but I believe that as a British Citizen he will not be turned away by the NHS.

My Thai wife is on a Settlement Visa and is also fully covered for NHS treatment.

Sorry about the multiple Posts,didnt seem to be working at all.

It seems that the Dept of Health is re writing guidelines on this subject this week and will publish them shortly, according to the DH a UK citizen who has lived overseas for more than six months is not eligible for free NHS treatment other than for first line emergency care. However, that situation changes if the person can confirm that they are returning to the UK to live after a period of absence - the onus is on the officer responsible for non-residency issues at each hospital to make a judgement and that may require the patient providing proof of their permanent return, sale of overseas property and proof of shipping of household goods are two forms of proof mentioned on the DH website, immigrants and asylum seekers are covered from day one.

Sorry, no I can't provide the link to the DH website, I came across it a few days ago as a result of reading an article in the UK press and became curious, shouldn't be that difficult to find and confirm though.

Edited by chiang mai

The UK is the largest employee in the UK with staff in excess of 1,000,000 employees,although some expats and others would disagree it is still considered by many to be the best health service in the world.

Those that dont agree should try the USA, Australia,and Thailand and dont forget to have lots of money/medical insurance available.

For very urgent cases in the UK there are no waiting lists.

I cannot speak for USA, but have no problems whatsoever with medical and hospital treatment in Queensland where we have first class modern hospitals as compared to those 'crappy' old dingie places that they call hospitals in the UK which i visited last year with their overcrowded wards etc.

I had a lung cancer removed in Brisbane, was in a 4 bed ward, comparatively new bright clean and 'roomy' this cost me nothing ..zilch !

My ex wife had surgery to remove clot from her Carotid artery, once again a beautiful bright 2 bed ward with excellent aftercare facilities.

And once again it cost nothing. My mother in UK found herself in what seemed to me like a grubby busy part passage with about 'two thousand others' and was shunted back home ASAP, in my opinion about 7 days too soon.

You cannot convince me that UK is amongst the worlds best hospital system..............just look at the age of some of them

What? thats discraceful! So if you've paid taxes all yourlife but move abroad for a year or 2 suddenly your not intitled to anything.

What? thats discraceful! So if you've paid taxes all yourlife but move abroad for a year or 2 suddenly your not intitled to anything.

That law was passed in 1989, when John Major was Prime Minister

Its only just coming to light as more and more people come "home" to get treatment, and are made aware of it, and also as more and more people emigrate in their latter years.

Taxes and contributions dont come into it. RESIDENCY does. The term used is "ordinarily resident"

This was defined as 12 months by the House of Lords shortly after the law was passed. Since amended to 6 months.

Easy to circumvent, at the moment, but getting adhered to more and more the more by the NHS admin staff, the more skint a nation The UK becomes.

People need to educate themselves as to what they can and cant get, before making the mistake of pulling the "I've got rights" and "i contributed to it over 40 years" cards. And not just this issue of healthcare, either. Everything we have been told is a right we have earned, in fact.

Rights change, to become only privileges all too quickly when you are percieved as "turning your back on the Fatherland" and some of these change the minute we leave UK airspace, for our "new (and better?) life in the sun" too !!!!!!!

Penkoprod

*edited for spelling mistakes :)

Edited by Penkoprod

John Major did not become Prime Minister until Nov 1990.

The Dept of Health gives the guidelines for treatment of overseas visitors and expats returning home the link is:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitle...sable/DH_074376

Sorry, i meant Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (he had quite a few jobs in a short period of time, huh? :) )

And, as for those guidelines thats all they are......guidelines,nothing more. The reality is totally different, and getting that way more and more

Like in THIS case

And more evidence here!

OK, they are from The Mail, but they also were reported in other newspapers the same time

Also, i have had letters regarding an upcoming operation that state that i WILL be charged if i havent been resident in UK for the past 12 months. Not might be, could be, or perhaps..........WILL BE!!!!

I have also sat in a waiting room at an X-ray dept of my hospital, and heard the admin debating who gets the bill for the ambulance that brought a patient to the hospital for their X-ray, as they were unable to make it on their own. So, please, dont believe the hype.

I actually had a copy of that bill i refered to, but cant find it at the moment. It DOES make for interesting reading, though.

Penkoprod

I think the law is,if you have not lived for more than 90 days per year, over a 3year period you are not entitled to free NHS treatment.Not seen anything about a person 65 and over,that can get free treatment by just returning to the Uk for an op/treatment.