What To Do In Case Of A Car Accident?

oz457

I would like to know some experiences about people who drive a car and got involved into an accident. Of course, it depends if there are casualties or not. I heard stories of the police trying to rip off the farang because he was not supposed to be there when the accident occurred.

What to do? To you run away, do you help the casualties, etc. etc.

Simply call your insurance agent they will deal with everything. Make sure you have the correct documents, insurance, license etc

Insurance premiums here have no excess, so theoretically an accident here costs you nothing other than your yearly premium not decreasing with no claims bonus.

I don't know of any westerner here who has been involved in an accident and been treated unfairly... Or more to the point, treated any differently than a Thai person.

Some westerners cry foul who don't understand how things are dealt with here...

I for one would never run. The morality of helping someone who is hurt is outweighs any negative possibilities.

Edited by richard_smith237

I have crunched my cars A few times over here and never had a problem. Called the insurance and they deal with everything. Never been treated un fairly.

I think car insurance over here is great and never had a problem.

The only people who run do not have cover and can't afford to pay.

I heard if you have an accident and your premiums go up someone told me to just change your insurance company since there is no online record of past driving history in Thailand.

now I know why my wife changes my insurance every year. :)

I heard if you have an accident and your premiums go up someone told me to just change your insurance company since there is no online record of past driving history in Thailand.

yes i was advised to do that by the car repair company,after i had but my car in for a few parking scratches and a tidy up.

yes i was advised to do that by the car repair company,after i had but my car in for a few parking scratches and a tidy up.

Definitely carry good insurance and stop there until insurance rep shows up. Even if the other person/vehicle leave.

We have had, over the years, the typical problems of someone hitting us and mysterious damage occurring in parking lots. We have first class insurance and called the agent/rep for the accidents and they provided the repair paperwork.

One time my wife was driving by herself and the cop tried to say it was her fault because the other party said so. She refused to accept that and got the insurance rep to back that up.

We have had all damage repaired at the shop. The insurance rep at the dealer's shop filled out the paperwork for the parking lot scrapes. We have all repairs done by the dealer. I want OEM parts, not after market or locally made work arounds. I want the car returned to it's original condition: all repairs have been covered by the insurance.

No increase in premiums (but not decrease, either, because of claims); no one suggested changing insurance companies except other companies calling us when close to time to renew. The other companies policies did not seem to be competitive so we have never changed.