Buying A Car In Thailand

Nadica

hello,

Can anyone please explain me what is the procedure when buying a car (second hand) in Thailand? What are the documents that a foreigner needs to have?

How does it work with the inssurance companies?

Also would be of great use if anyone explains what is the procedure and what are documents re. driving there, obtaining a Thai licence.

Thank you all!

Yes try the search tool, this have been discussed earlier several times here.

New or second hand basically the same if you buy from a dealer.

Minimum a tourist visa is required, then you can obtain a letter from immigration that you live in the Kingdom. To get that you will have to show immi that you live here, rental contract on your apartment or house book will normally do.

Be extremely careful when buying a second hand car, if you don't know your way around cars bring somebody that do. Odometer fixing are widely used here.

When buying your car check that the mandatory insurance are still valid, the dealer will help you changing ownership. Then bring your car to your insurance broker and they will tell you how much for a full insurance take pictures and so on.

The full insurance is extremely important especially for an ex pat.

This is a very rough explanation, better covered elsewhere.

Good luck finding a good used car (which I had). :)

Buying a used (second hand or third hand or whatever) car here in LOS is no different than in any other place in the world. First don't believe anything the seller tells you about the condition of the car! If you want comfort have it checked somewhere by a person you trust unless, you, yourself are competent to do this. Find out when the tax and insurance are next due and if it is current now. Include the cost of this renewal in the deal if its about to expire. Have someone that reads and speaks Thai with you to look at the car's bluebook and and if the person selling is really the current owner listed last in the book. Do not make any deals for a car without the book.

Once you make the deal and agree on the money then best to agree on a time to go to the Land Transport offices and meet to make the transfer and pay the cash to the seller. I would not hand over any cash until the car is in my name____!!!

You will need the usual copies of visas and permits to stay and residence letter from immigration to have the car made in your name.