Internet Connection Without Telephone Line

tuky

Guys,

I live in Sriracha in one of the estates there. Unfortunately we cannot expect a land line for about another year. Internet access is very important for me and I am sick of fighting the school kids at the internet cafe (gaming should have an age limit :o) I have cable TV through PTV (?). My wife does not understand about the net so she has trouble helping. Anyone with any ideas or info that would help? Thanks!

Believe my first choice would be to buy a phone line from somebody who already has a line. If you get the word out, and there are lines near you, am sure someone would be willing to sell their line for less than the non-landline options.

You could check if Hutch cellphone service is available. This is CDMA service and can run good internet speeds from reports. Check their home page at HUTCH

The other option would be sat service. Believe CS Coms/Loxely may have info on that but don't have page at hand.

Guest IT Manager

You can get IpSTAR. I can and am happy to monitor it, to ensure it works properly, and if there are problems organise someone to fix it. This would be free. PM me for details.

What is the zip code there?

except for the fact that I think some legislation was put through by thaskin concerning power output levels in the spectrum used by 802.11 ( dunno if he is gonna prosecute the users of cordless phones and garage dooor openers).

I have only seen one story in the bangkok post database about this

Guest IT Manager

Pablo, now that we have access to the Thaicom Engineers, things are looking better with IpSTAR.

Contact me for details if it's of interest.

IT

Guest IT Manager
there is a promotion of SIM INTERNET card at AIS now. You get free unlimited GPRS for 6 months and then 200 MB free per month and 10baht/MB any extra

This should do for a while, shouldnt it?

Using it right now- no problems at all

Cheers

:o

Can you tell us a bit about SIM internet please?

yep sure, and I hope to get yummy kylobites about IPstar in exchange B)

Well, here is a link to promotion info

http://www.gsmadvance.com/e/product_promot...nternet_sim.asp

the only thing is you have to torture AIS staff to give you more details on that and can only buy this SIM INTERENT card in Telewiz shops, and like they dont have many of those, i had to call all over city to find them in Pantip finally , first floor that will be. 1200 baht prepaid, 3 baht minute for national calls, unlimited GPRS traffic first 6 months. After that you have limit of 200 MB per month but can get extra for 10 baht/MB which is OK.

Pantip still had 2 of these cards so you better run. Everything works good and I get an average dial up equivalent of speed here (well, everywhere actually). And also be warned that GPRS thing starts working second day (made everyone crazy at call center first day i got it :o)

well, have fun surfing and dont clog the bandwidth too much with free downloads :D

yeah and dying to hear about IP star- what do i need for that?

B)

Guest IT Manager

*A piece of cement about 2m square and I like it around 4" thick with either baboo or steel reinforement.

*21,000 baht includes install and first 2 months rental.

*The cement needs to be in a place where is can look up in the sky and preferable to be within 25 metres of where u want to connect the first machine.

*Some Chang Beer and be within 2 hours drive of Chiang Mai. (Or forget the Chang) :o

Guest IT Manager
There is always Sattelite.

Percival doesn't miss much...

Sorry Percy. The concrete is the object upon which I like to put the satellite receiver. It's a big dish thing looks like a wok but points up in the sky so is useless for fried rice. :o

unlimited GPRS traffic first 6 months. After that you have limit of 200 MB per month but can get extra for 10 baht/MB which is OK.

Isn't 200MB a month rather small? I've been online today 5 hours so far and already clocked up 60MB in that time catching up on emails and web boards like this?

Guest IT Manager

Both of you validate point of mine. We all have different surfing/access needs. For some, me included, 20 Mb in a day is nothing. For others 300 baht per month to check e-mail is heaps.

The Internet, as a resource, uses big bandwidth as a research tool or as a way to inter-relate with others, eg., MSN Messenger, Yahoo etc.

As a communications by email portal, you don't need a lot of bandwidth, so I generally try to assess a persons perceived usage pattern or if they have an internet history, get a picture of that before making a recommendation.

Every user is an individual. It's why if someone on here asks for a machine spec, I try to get an idea of what they want to do, and then from experience design a machine to meet their needs and allow space to get larger and develop aother areas for them.

In an internet cafe, for example, usage will be varied, the machine can be cheap but reliable. The big machine on your desk, on the other hand, has to do the job you want to do, in the way you want to do it. Off the shelf machines are good until you find a new thing to do with internet, or with IT skills. Then it may not be what you need. :o

IT,

My wife just got her phone bill for the month, much more than the 21k baht you quoted for the installation and first 2 months service...will be in touch!!! very interested in VOIP and even video, but will only have a 56k connection here in az.

As the time draws near we should talk some more...

don't know what the heck it is, but check out this ad in the phuket gazette. internet connection without phone line

here is the context:

Monday, November 10, 2003

By Pat James

Email [email protected]

Phone 01-8355771

Description Always-on internet connection with GPRS modem. Together with AIS or DTAC GPRS account (can help you get account open in 24 hours), this special modem is a simple USB plug and play. Surf internet anywhere in Thailand at 40+ Kbs for only 999 baht unlimted. Modem is 11,500 baht.

is it real?

Surf internet anywhere in Thailand at 40+ Kbs for only 999 baht unlimted. Modem is 11,500 baht.

is it real?

Perhaps a little charge by AIS or Dtac? Just a guess.

On second thought perhaps the "anywhere in Thailand" really means you can only reach Thailand internet addresses. Have seen this service advertised for Thai users/gamer's but don't believe it would be of much interest to most foreigners.

Description Always-on internet connection with GPRS modem. Together with AIS or DTAC GPRS account (can help you get account open in 24 hours), this special modem is a simple USB plug and play. Surf internet anywhere in Thailand at 40+ Kbs for only 999 baht unlimted. Modem is 11,500 baht.

is it real?

This is more or less the same as the AIS Internet SIM promotion - see Promotion 3 i.e. SIM plus wireless modem.

In this case, "surf anywhere" means anywhere in Thailand - because you're using the mobile phone network. Not the same as the Thai-sites-only internet, which is basically the TOT-data network (as opposed to the international connections which are operated by CAT)

Satellite:

IPTv requires a landline, it's a phone/satellite hybrid. [You might be able to use it with mobile instead of landline, but I wouldn't bet on it - any anyway, if you're using your mobile for this, why not just use the mobile and forget about the satellite?!]

Full satellite access (IPSTAR) is expensive unless you're a light user, at least until the actual IPSTAR satellite goes up next year. Unless you can share it between several people. But you need to be able to connect them up - if you're in a condo, then you can use wired or wireless links. But it's only legal to use wireless within a building, not outside/between buildings.

Basically, wireless in Thailand is a black hole until the NTC is set up and able to issue licenses, allocate spectrum - not likely to happen before 2005. Plus you need an ISP license if you're providing internet access to anyoneYou need licenses to provide wireless internet access, so unless you can get an existing ISP to set up the necessary equipment/service for you, any other option is probably illegal.

Phone lines:

Noting 1 year to get a landline installed - is this with TOT? TA or TT&T can usually move faster than this, though maybe not outside BKK?? [You might also be able to get your line installed faster if you apply for ADSL rather than just a voice line, though I have no evidence to confirm this!]

Cable:

Cable modem may be an alternative, if it's available in your area. Costs are similar to those for ADSL.

HTH

Guest IT Manager
I like the idea of IPStar, but what was that comment about being 2 hours from Chiang Mai ? I live about 50km south of Roi Et in Issan. Is anyone using IPStar out here ?

Yes there are users in Roi Et.

2 hours from CM is so if you have a big problem, or the chaps from the local installers are lost over a problem, I have been known to go to someones location and fix it (except if the problem occurred in the Control Room for Thaicom 1A).

Local installers are generally not up to speed on making it work once it gets past the first machine. I run a 40 node netwrok on IpSTAR and it includes 2 separate wireless zones.

Generally I get the locals to do the install, then go in and tweak it and work with the Shin Sat engineers to get it tuned up.

Note: IpSTAR is in its essential infancy and has a lot of interruptions. Some for just a few seconds, some for hours and in one case I worked on, several days. Several of us here are aware of the problems and are working on workable solutions, again, with Shin Engineers, who are now somewhat more approachable, than they were.

Hope it helps.

IT :o

Guest IT Manager
IT,

My wife just got her phone bill for the month, much more than the 21k baht you quoted for the installation and first 2 months service...will be in touch!!! very interested in VOIP and even video, but will only have a 56k connection here in az.

As the time draws near we should talk some more...

Some weeks ago someone suggested using "SKYPE" from www.skype.com for voice on internet.

Currently it and ICQ 2003a are the only providers that I know of who work on Ipstar,and it does work quite well.

There are fluctuations in quality relevant to the satellite speed/service, but essentially it works quite nicely.

If anyone wants to d/l and test it, my user name on it is ajarndavid. You will understand the relevance of this if you download and install.

Feel free to contact me if you see me online. I currently have it set up on 16 machines.

Guest IT Manager

The dish is 1.2 metre. I think it is 27dB but don't quote me on that.

There is a provision for them to come and move it. I have heard both 5,000 and 10,000 baht as being the charge. At 5k it is fine at 10 I think a bit over the top.

:o