Fuel Economy Of Nouvo Elegance 135 And My Ideas Of How Honda Pcxi Can Claim 118 Miles/gallon

• 10 months later...

So the consensus is: Both Nuovo Elegance and PCX get about 40km/l in day to day driving? Pretty good mileage for the Nuovo...

Hi all. I have been a member here for a few years but have been AWOL as I moved to Sihanoukville in big bad Cambodia.

For boring health reasons I have moved up here to Jomtien, (or Excusetien as I call it - basically Pattaya without saying the P word!)

Anyway to the point. For the first time in my life I bought a new vehicle the other week - a 135cc Yamaha Nouvo. Very happy with it so far; and based on two fuel fills, I am getting 34.9 kms/litre. This is round town, and I really dont envisage hwy tours on a scooter!

Also I didn't realise that it's liquid cooled rather than air, as the older 105cc models were. Not sure why they made them this way, but it's running right on temp - as you'd expect from a vehicle with less than 200kms on the clock.

Cheers nw1

I question the amount of money saved per year because one bike does a few kilometers per liter more than another bike. My wife probably averages 5,000 kilometers per year while I do maybe 3,500 kilometers per year, probably less. If you do 5,000 kilometers per year, which I doubt most riders do, you will be hard pressed to save 1,000 baht per year. You will save a lot more money by drinking one less beer per week.

My car does a little more than 15 kilometers per liter when my wife is with me. Going by myself and carrying a little less weight, it does about 12 kilometers per liter. That could be because I drive a little different when she is not with me.

I'd also guess the I get more kilometers per liter with my bike than guys with the same bike because I seldom go more than 60 kilometers per hour.

I also have an elegance, not the best mileage i aggree BUT still only 100 or so BAht every 7-10 days!!! compare that to the prices in Europe! this is BAngkok city driving BTW

Well, my Elegance must have been the worst ever built because it has on occasion cost me 100 baht every day - sometimes even more!

OR, for those who wonder what I mean, I could mention my kilometers/liter, 43 on (several, confirmed distances) some trips at moderate speeds and suburban/country driving, toting a payload of about 100 kilo's. These two bikes, PCX or Elegance, are suitable for longer distances. (My old MX struggles to get 33 kms/L and requires petrol currently costing more than 40baht per liter.) Which is not to compare these two models, either of which can save enough on moderate day trips, compared to my MX. to pay for a beer or two, each day traveled.

Speaking of facts, what are miles? I keep seeing that word for some reason. Some archaic measurement used by almost nobody in the world, I think? Depends on someone's taking a peculiar number, thousands, and hundreds, and some other baby footsteps, with a size something shoe? Or was it a boot?

Or what is this galoon business?

Why not use logical measurements that do not require wild guessing? (= exact kilometers + measurements of liters used (several times)?? + plus mention of driving conditions + payload)??

Otherwise, it's hard to develop a conclusion on this thread.:D

Just noticed this oldish thread resurrected and would like to confirm the figures I quoted in another thread yesterday. I do a regular fill up every time I reach 200kms on my trip meter and the most I have paid is 160 Baht over the last 4/5 months since I bought my PCX. The price per litre of this fill up was 33.34 Baht and when you do the arithmetic this works out to...drum roll.... 118 miles per gallon. Well done Honda you don't appear to be making it up! As a matter of interest my usage is made up basically of trips in and out of Pattaya which consist typically of a fairly hard pushed 4kms at up 90 kph on local roads and the Sukhumvit to get to Pattaya Tai and then 4kms to where I want to reach in town at whatever speeds traffic allow and the same on the way back. The major fuel saving on the PCX, I think, is the engine auto shut off after 3 seconds stationery which saves a fortune over other bikes when you consider the time spent waiting at traffic lights around Pattaya. Nobody has to eat my fumes either!! :)

Just noticed this oldish thread resurrected and would like to confirm the figures I quoted in another thread yesterday. I do a regular fill up every time I reach 200kms on my trip meter and the most I have paid is 160 Baht over the last 4/5 months since I bought my PCX. The price per litre of this fill up was 33.34 Baht and when you do the arithmetic this works out to...drum roll.... 118 miles per gallon. Well done Honda you don't appear to be making it up! As a matter of interest my usage is made up basically of trips in and out of Pattaya which consist typically of a fairly hard pushed 4kms at up 90 kph on local roads and the Sukhumvit to get to Pattaya Tai and then 4kms to where I want to reach in town at whatever speeds traffic allow and the same on the way back. The major fuel saving on the PCX, I think, is the engine auto shut off after 3 seconds stationery which saves a fortune over other bikes when you consider the time spent waiting at traffic lights around Pattaya. Nobody has to eat my fumes either!! :)

2.4L/100 kms then. For an automatic, that is marvelous. For a somewhat overweight automatic, stellar.

2.4L/100 kms then. For an automatic, that is marvelous. For a somewhat overweight automatic, stellar.

"Overweight automatic" don't forget the fat git sitting on it as well! B)

Next time please clarify which gallon unit you are using, imperial or US. :blink:

Next time please clarify which gallon unit you are using, imperial or US. :blink:

It's only the US that have their own funny measures (and everything else) I don't really think it's necessary for everyone else to have to clarify every time an american is made to think!

It's only the US that have their own funny measures (and everything else) I don't really think it's necessary for everyone else to have to clarify every time an american is made to think!

Made to think? OK, you have made me think and I think that Thailand uses the metric system. That means liters is the proper system to use.

Made to think? OK, you have made me think and I think that Thailand uses the metric system. That means liters is the proper system to use.

Most of the civilized world uses liters. Just keep it with liters.

Thread Title "Fuel Economy Of Nouvo Elegance 135 And My Ideas Of How Honda Pcxi Can Claim 118 Miles/gallon"

And a response in litres would really make sense wouldn't it? I merely confirmed that my PCX does indeed reproduce 118 miles per gallon. I don't think quoting economy figures of 41.536 kilometers to the litre or 2.41l/100km, would really have had the same effect do you?

Thread Title "Fuel Economy Of Nouvo Elegance 135 And My Ideas Of How Honda Pcxi Can Claim 118 Miles/gallon"

And a response in litres would really make sense wouldn't it? I merely confirmed that my PCX does indeed reproduce 118 miles per gallon. I don't think quoting economy figures of 41.536 kilometers to the litre or 2.41l/100km, would really have had the same effect do you?

The metric system makes more sense but to those who grew up using gallons, inches, feet, miles yes...absolutely. We get immediate impact from 118 miles per gallon or a man running the hundred yard dash in 9.1 seconds or a mile in 3:50. Anyone who disagrees with this who grew up using the old system is in denial.

• 10 months later...

Some of you will probably find this hard to believe, but since I had the modified variator fitted on my PCX, the mpg ( sorry I am old school )has gone up. I know most of us aren't bothered about fuel economy because the price here is so low compered to what we pay, or use to pay at home. The best thing about the bike now is the acceleration, it's so smooth, no flat spots and it is noticeably quicker. If anyone would like to try my bike and experience the difference, give me a call and then you can come and visit our bike showroom in Jomtien.

Edited by steve1234

For the metric - challenged readers.

3.78L in US gallon

4.5L in Imperial gallon

Fuel prices in LOS very close to Canada - depending of course on which part you are talking about.

Edited by seedy

For the metric - challenged readers.

3.78L in US gallon

4.5L in Imperial gallon

Fuel prices in LOS very close to Canada - depending of course on which part you are talking about.

Sorry, i am still too lazy to convert gallons, inches, feet, miles to liter, centimeter, meter and so on sleepy.gif

Isn't it enough that we speak english here? Imperial gallon? Are you crazy? wink.png

When i bought my new Nouvo Elegance i kept accurate fuel consumption records for the first 2000 kms and it gave a consistent 105 miles per gallon around Pattaya, which is a lot of stop and go. When i did a few runs upto Chon Buri it gave over 140 miles per gallon.

Imperial gallon? Are you crazy? wink.png

When the Pilgrim Fathers got kicked out of the England one of the things they took with them was the old wine gallon as a measurement. Some years later to avoid confusion "the Empire" standardized on the "ale" gallon calling it the Imperial gallon.

That the US continues to us an antiquated measure is OK. But there are still two gallons.

Imperial gallon? Are you crazy? wink.png

When the Pilgrim Fathers got kicked out of the England one of the things they took with them was the old wine gallon as a measurement. Some years later to avoid confusion "the Empire" standardized on the "ale" gallon calling it the Imperial gallon.

That the US continues to us an antiquated measure is OK. But there are still two gallons.

Wikipedia says there are three different definitions in current use (whatever that means):

- Imperial gallon (4.546 l)

- US liquid gallon (3.79 l)

- US dry gallon (4.4 l)

Yes, the US americans are of course free to measure how they like to. But i am very happy that the negligible rest of the world has found a consensus to use liter and meter biggrin.png

• 1 year later...
What are Nouvo Elegance owners filling their tanks with now that benzene 91 (red) has disappeared?

Having always used benzene 91, I switched to gasohol 91 but after several tank fulls I noticed while idling the engine sounded about to conk out and duly did yesterday while my girlfriend was driving.

Was sure my manual (and petrol cap) said gasohol 91 could be used and looked again. The cap says "benzene or gasohol (E10)" on a green sticker with a big "91" on it. I took this to mean the green pump of gasohol 91 (as it's E10) would be ok. Obviously not.

The Yamaha garage says use gasohol 95 (orange), which is 90% benzene but higher octane than gasohol 91.

I read that gasohol soaks up moisture from the air so it could cause a layer of water to build up causing some problems getting/keeping the engine running. Not sure I should use it at all then!

What's everybody using in their Nouvo? Benzene 95 (the yellow one)?

When the benzine 91 disappeared, I tried the gasohol 91 but wasn't too happy with performance.

Switched to gasohol 95 and there seems to be a bit better mileage and jump, although nothing measured.

I'll stick to the gasohol 95 despite the sticker on my tank!

When the benzine 91 disappeared, I tried the gasohol 91 but wasn't too happy with performance.

Switched to gasohol 95 and there seems to be a bit better mileage and jump, although nothing measured.

I'll stick to the gasohol 95 despite the sticker on my tank!

Nothing stopping you from using a higher octane than your bike recommends. I wouldn't use E20 if the manufacturer doesn't recommend it...unless the cost savings are going to offset any possible rebuild of the fuel system.