Best Gym In Phuket

wordchild

I am spending more and more time in Phuket,thinking about a full move fromBKK . one thing is i have yet to find a really good gym with spa/steam (maybe tennis) etc. In bangkok I use the gym at the Hyatt which is first class and I will miss that, any ideas? If I make the move will be in Kata/karon area. I know the gym at Le Merid well and have stayed there a few times but kinda hopeing there might be something better. Anyone know if any of the other hotels have a great gym that is open to outside members?

Edited by wordchild

Yup Karon Hilton very good, just coming to the end of 6 months membership there, just about to renew for another 6 months, good value for money IMO, at least compared to UK. Sorry to hijack thread, but wonder if anyone knows of swimming pool other than Hilton, I'd heard there's one in Phuket town but living in Chalong I may as well keep going to Karon as it's probably about the same distance.

Yup Karon Hilton very good, just coming to the end of 6 months membership there, just about to renew for another 6 months, good value for money IMO, at least compared to UK. Sorry to hijack thread, but wonder if anyone knows of swimming pool other than Hilton, I'd heard there's one in Phuket town but living in Chalong I may as well keep going to Karon as it's probably about the same distance.

There's an outstanding 50m pool at Sapan Hin, Phuket town. As you said, most prob same distance but it is decent. 40baht entry I believe.

+ very quiet during daytime.

Theres a new gym behind homepro at the chalong circle. they have sauna also.

Its on the new "shortcut road" running from the back of the homepro parking lot to the big thai supermarket on patak road. across the mamee moo stand. not the old shortcut with the many bumps

Club Asia Fitness the one and only.

Operated by private owners, highly motivated ACE and Les Mills educated instructors. Best facilities in Phuket included spa, sauna/steam, swimming pool.

Where is it located please?

Hi,

I have been a frequent visitor to Phuket since 1995 and lived there full time from 2000 until 2002. For the last few years i used Easy Fitness Centre only to discover this high season that it has become a yoga centre. So i embarked on some serious research, trying out 6 different gyms. Obviously it depends where you are located, i only have experience of South Phuket. The Phuket Royal City i found a bit too busy and smelly changing rooms. However if you'd like a variety of classes (aerobics/body pump) they had a lot on offer. Nai Harn Gym is new so equipment still functional. Not a huge choice of machines and a bit claustrophobic. Very small changing area. Prices very reasonable. Rawaii Gym a bit too grungy and no changing rooms. Seems better for those who prefer major weight-lifting. Also very cheap but i didn't like it as i prefer a bit of luxury (sauna/steam/decent showers). 2 gyms i visited that i couldn't even bring my-self to use were at The large hotel on Nai Harn beach (yacht club or something). Appalling selection of crap, dated machines. Also the gym/spa on the road from Rawaii to Nai Harn called Sapphire (something like that) - half the machines had 'out of order' signs. Air of neglect about the whole place, very depressing. In the end i settled for Hilton Arcadia on karon beach. Affordable prices, very clean, decent machines, friendly staff, excellent showers, sauna, steam, beautiful view, good class of guests. Only minor problem for me was distance from my house in Chalong. I know the Meridien between Karon and Patong as i was a member for the 2 years that i lived in Phuket. Excellent place, especially as use of swimming pool and beach is included. However too far for me and i don't have time to hang around to make use of the extras.

Loads of people have complained about the dire choice of gyms in Phuket. I hope someone will see a major gap in the market and some improvement will occur. I wish you the best of luck and will be curious about how you get on and where you end up.

The only two choices in the area you specify with the facilities you are looking for are indeed the Hilton and Le Meridien.

I stay regularly at the Hilton so use that, and have used Le Meridien when I stay there. Tennis at the Hilton is good and they have some very useful knockers.

However, the choice of weight lifting machines and free weight area is not great at either.

If you want to supplement them, the New Karon gym on Karon Circle has a very good range of machines, is not too hard core and is cheap, so worth checking out.

• 4 weeks later...
on the swimming pool there is one in phuket country home just off choa fa rd west on the road towards wat chalong was 50baht per day not sure if same price now try it

I cannot find this anywhere on the web. How big is the pool ?

There's an outstanding 50m pool at Sapan Hin, Phuket town. As you said, most prob same distance but it is decent. 40baht entry I believe.

+ very quiet during daytime.

Does the pool at Sapan Hin have a baby pool? Or can anyone recommend somewhere that has.

I cannot find this anywhere on the web. How big is the pool ?

The pool is 1meter short of 25m.

If I remember correctly its approximately 1.5 - 2.km coming from Chalong circle on your left side a smaller Soi, drive 150 meters in front and left are Phuket Country Home.

:)

• 1 month later...