Deserving Orphanges - To Include In My Thai Will

ChiangMaiFun

I'm drawing up my Thai Will and want to leave funds for 'good causes' but am unsure how to locate 'real' causes that would benefit - I would prefer children who have no parents and little 'farang' involvement - the only one I know is Wat Don Chan

I was hoping to benefity around 10 if I could locate and visit them and then include them - but not if they have a queue of farang already helping!

Any help appreciated...

Om Shanti

I used to work alot with Wat Don Chan but I found they receive alot and alocate it poorly. They have lot's of farang and government help but the kids don't always benefit from it. They also have a large, full warehouse of goods. There is also Vienping Orphanage but they also receive alot of support.

I have shifted my efforts to the Mae Mhae School and Orphanage in Chiang Dao. It's located on a mountaintop and receives almost no help or government support. There are 119 children mostly Lisau. Right now they are in dire need of a water tank. If you ever want to visit let me know. Yu can compare for yourself to the more accesible places.

hi

i can give you good ideas myself but i would imagine that the chaps at chiangmai toyride would know some good causes.

if you dont have contact names etc pm me and i will give provide if you want to ask them

cheers

al

I used to work alot with Wat Don Chan but I found they receive alot and alocate it poorly. They have lot's of farang and government help but the kids don't always benefit from it. They also have a large, full warehouse of goods. There is also Vienping Orphanage but they also receive alot of support.

I have shifted my efforts to the Mae Mhae School and Orphanage in Chiang Dao. It's located on a mountaintop and receives almost no help or government support. There are 119 children mostly Lisau. Right now they are in dire need of a water tank. If you ever want to visit let me know. Yu can compare for yourself to the more accesible places.

Hi - yes I would like to visit at some stage - I shall be leaving a substantial sum to a few places and would also like to connect and help whilst I am still in this mortal coil!

Two weeks ago the water filtration system broke and one of the kids ingested a leech and had to go to the hospital. We managed to fix the system but then the school and adjacent village had no water for a few days due to a pipe issue so now we hope to get them a water tank so they always have water in the future. We ripped out their rodent infested beds and ceilings and are in the process of building new wooden bunk beds. We painted the boys dorm in and out too. I donated my chest freezer as they had only one to store meat for 119 kids. Frankly, this place makes the others look like country clubs and could really use help. The kids get 10 baht per day, per kid for 200 days of the year from the Thai government. There is one man who spends 24 hours per day with the boys and a lady who stays with the girls. They each receive 6000 baht per month but we have no more money to pay them. A Thai lady in Hang Dong buys rice for them every month.

Please pm me your contact info and I will arrange transportation for you. I must warn you it's 1 hour of good driving and them 25 minutes up the side of a mountain on a dirt, rocky, rutted road with no guardrail. Well worth the ride though. I was there last week and took two girls down to the hospital. One with a broken arm and one with a badly cut foot. It's rare they go down the mountain. I am not hoping for your donation anytime soon (if it's in your will) but I would like you to see a truly needy place first hand.

Father Joe Maier In Bangkok seems to help a ton of kids with schools an orphanage and other aid to kids with his Human Development Founation-Mercy Center. Seems to spend his money well and for the good of many.

Two weeks ago the water filtration system broke and one of the kids ingested a leech and had to go to the hospital. We managed to fix the system but then the school and adjacent village had no water for a few days due to a pipe issue so now we hope to get them a water tank so they always have water in the future. We ripped out their rodent infested beds and ceilings and are in the process of building new wooden bunk beds. We painted the boys dorm in and out too. I donated my chest freezer as they had only one to store meat for 119 kids. Frankly, this place makes the others look like country clubs and could really use help. The kids get 10 baht per day, per kid for 200 days of the year from the Thai government. There is one man who spends 24 hours per day with the boys and a lady who stays with the girls. They each receive 6000 baht per month but we have no more money to pay them. A Thai lady in Hang Dong buys rice for them every month.

Please pm me your contact info and I will arrange transportation for you. I must warn you it's 1 hour of good driving and them 25 minutes up the side of a mountain on a dirt, rocky, rutted road with no guardrail. Well worth the ride though. I was there last week and took two girls down to the hospital. One with a broken arm and one with a badly cut foot. It's rare they go down the mountain. I am not hoping for your donation anytime soon (if it's in your will) but I would like you to see a truly needy place first hand.

Sounds horrific - you have mail...

Father Joe Maier In Bangkok seems to help a ton of kids with schools an orphanage and other aid to kids with his Human Development Founation-Mercy Center. Seems to spend his money well and for the good of many.

Thanks - I Googled it - I'd prefer a cause which did not include relegious indoctrination to be honest - although i'm sure he does great work pictures of Thai kids holding up pictures of christian saints doesn't quiet match what I am trying to achieve but thanks anyway.

Here is an article that Fr Joe Maier wrote that was in the Bangkok Post around ten years ago.......

Ann & Soey: True Friendship in the Slums

Miss Nattiya's nickname is Ann. A western nick name for a Thai slum urchin. A waif she is and she's high-powered poetry in motion. She doesn’t just grin with no front teeth – she dazzles – even when she walks. Actually, she rarely just walks. She skips and hops and jumps to her destinations, and if there's a tree nearby, she climbs it, too.

Just six years old and a star pupil in her 3rd-Year Kindergarten class, Ann is that rare, one-in-a-million child, a pure joy, a blessing to everyone she meets. What makes her even more remarkable is how she escaped from the tomb.

No, she wasn't literally dead, not hospital dead, but maybe in some ways worse.

She is truly a resurrection child, proof that we can all be born again. Buddhism and Christianity agree on such matters.

Miss Ann tells me she ís working hard at becoming seven, trying to make the days go faster. Actually, she has another eleven months to go, but even given this enormous length of time, Ann says, "Wow!" at the thought

of another birthday and being grown up. "Wow!" Who knows what might happen? Wild stuff!

She'd been abused bad. Her biological dad was long gone and Step-Dad No. 2 or 3 or 4 or who knows and Mom, both "hammered" on yaa baa, beat her with coat hangers and threw her against a few walls several times.

Mom went to jail and Step-Dad stayed drug-drunk and continued to slam her into the walls, so she went to live with Grandma, but Ann had become violent, too---a predator who learned how to survive on the streets---and Grandma said she couldn't handle her.

So the courts gave her to us. We gladly accepted. By now , the damage was done, psychologically, and occasionally the nightmares and the fear come back and she's terrible god-awful mean. When that happens, you just

have to give her some space and a dish of ice cream. Oh, does that girl love ice cream.

When the horror takes control, Miss Soey is the only one who can get close to Ann. The only thing that can control Ann's horror is her "big sister love" for Soey. This is where the resurrection begins, but first let me tell you a little about Soey.

Soey's spirit has soared since she first joined us three years ago. When she came to us, she was legally blind---everything was a blur. Her ear drums had holes in them, so she couldn't hear well, either. She needed a heart operation. She was retarded. She had two thumbs on one hand. And she was catatonic---couldn't, or wouldn't, talk because people always laughed when she tried. Some of us are born with greater challenges than others have.

Government social welfare paid for the surgery, her ears healed, and now she wears glasses. She also talks all

the time--- even sings. True, she mauls lots of words, but if you listen hard, she makes sense.

Ann really is Soey's Big Sister. And believe you me, being Miss Soey's big sister is not easy. A task only a six-year-old can handle. It takes time and patience and smart six-year-old savvy---not dumb, boring adult savvy. You need all the shrewdness of youth.

She's been teaching Soey to be tough, sharing some of the lessons of the street. One way she's doing this is she's been stealing Soey's lunch money for almost a year now. But, over time, Soey has learned to fight back. It used to be gone before she stepped out of the Mercy Centre.

Back then, she'd just cry---now she fights. She can't see very well and loses or destroys two pair of glasses a month, on average, but when she enters combat with Ann, she is careful to take her glasses off. That's one of their own self-made rules. Ann cannot hit her until the glasses are safe. Of course, then Soey can't see and with everything a blur,

she loses a lot. Still, sometimes she wins. The lesson is: if you can't fight, you can't eat.

Ann is pretty tough with Soey, but protects her, too. She absolutely will not let Soey cross the street without first putting on her glasses and looking both ways. She tells Soey when it's time to nap, when she needs a bath. They play together and every few days, Ann searches Soey's hair for lice. (A constant problem in the slums, where children insist on sharing pillows.) Right now, Soey has the sniffles and Ann whomps her every time she uses her sleeve instead of a tissue.

What's this mean? First Ann protects Soey and then she womps her? Isn't this behavior contradictory? Yes and no. You see, Ann is teaching Soey the only skill she thinks she has: survival. Soey had never lived on the street and Ann, in her six-year-old savvy way, thinks that it's important to know how. In Klong Toey, it's hard to argue with that.

At the same time, Ann is learning the meaning of true friendship and loyalty and love: how to truly care for someone else. So as Soey comes out of her shell, Ann learns the rule of love, never received at home. That's a pretty strong bond. I'm sure they'll be sisters for life, even if they aren't together geographically.

Ann and Soey maybe have suffered more than most of us, both as children and adults, but that not what resurrection and being reborn is all about.

And kids like Ann and Soey are our teachers, our gurus. All we have to do is listen.

If you can get past the religion thing you could not do better than subscibe to Fr Joe's Human Development Foundation-Mercy Center in Klong Toey.

I have also visited Viengping on many occassions and it has always been a humbling experience.

Coming back to the place on the hill and the water tank, what sort of money are we talking about.

I guess if the terrain is that rugged it might have to be constructed insitu.

As with lumber and other big items we have always had it delivered to the bottom of the mountain and then the villagers and kids get it up top somehow. The main issue is vehicle clearance. Although I have 4 wheel drive I have never had to engage it. You just have to have a high clearance. I have seen many trucks go up so I think delivery is not a problem. We are getting prices now and I will report back.

Here is an article that Fr Joe Maier wrote that was in the Bangkok Post around ten years ago.......

Ann & Soey: True Friendship in the Slums

Miss Nattiya's nickname is Ann. A western nick name for a Thai slum urchin. A waif she is and she's high-powered poetry in motion. She doesn't just grin with no front teeth – she dazzles – even when she walks. Actually, she rarely just walks. She skips and hops and jumps to her destinations, and if there's a tree nearby, she climbs it, too.

Just six years old and a star pupil in her 3rd-Year Kindergarten class, Ann is that rare, one-in-a-million child, a pure joy, a blessing to everyone she meets. What makes her even more remarkable is how she escaped from the tomb.

No, she wasn't literally dead, not hospital dead, but maybe in some ways worse.

She is truly a resurrection child, proof that we can all be born again. Buddhism and Christianity agree on such matters.

Miss Ann tells me she ís working hard at becoming seven, trying to make the days go faster. Actually, she has another eleven months to go, but even given this enormous length of time, Ann says, "Wow!" at the thought

of another birthday and being grown up. "Wow!" Who knows what might happen? Wild stuff!

She'd been abused bad. Her biological dad was long gone and Step-Dad No. 2 or 3 or 4 or who knows and Mom, both "hammered" on yaa baa, beat her with coat hangers and threw her against a few walls several times.

Mom went to jail and Step-Dad stayed drug-drunk and continued to slam her into the walls, so she went to live with Grandma, but Ann had become violent, too---a predator who learned how to survive on the streets---and Grandma said she couldn't handle her.

So the courts gave her to us. We gladly accepted. By now , the damage was done, psychologically, and occasionally the nightmares and the fear come back and she's terrible god-awful mean. When that happens, you just

have to give her some space and a dish of ice cream. Oh, does that girl love ice cream.

When the horror takes control, Miss Soey is the only one who can get close to Ann. The only thing that can control Ann's horror is her "big sister love" for Soey. This is where the resurrection begins, but first let me tell you a little about Soey.

Soey's spirit has soared since she first joined us three years ago. When she came to us, she was legally blind---everything was a blur. Her ear drums had holes in them, so she couldn't hear well, either. She needed a heart operation. She was retarded. She had two thumbs on one hand. And she was catatonic---couldn't, or wouldn't, talk because people always laughed when she tried. Some of us are born with greater challenges than others have.

Government social welfare paid for the surgery, her ears healed, and now she wears glasses. She also talks all

the time--- even sings. True, she mauls lots of words, but if you listen hard, she makes sense.

Ann really is Soey's Big Sister. And believe you me, being Miss Soey's big sister is not easy. A task only a six-year-old can handle. It takes time and patience and smart six-year-old savvy---not dumb, boring adult savvy. You need all the shrewdness of youth.

She's been teaching Soey to be tough, sharing some of the lessons of the street. One way she's doing this is she's been stealing Soey's lunch money for almost a year now. But, over time, Soey has learned to fight back. It used to be gone before she stepped out of the Mercy Centre.

Back then, she'd just cry---now she fights. She can't see very well and loses or destroys two pair of glasses a month, on average, but when she enters combat with Ann, she is careful to take her glasses off. That's one of their own self-made rules. Ann cannot hit her until the glasses are safe. Of course, then Soey can't see and with everything a blur,

she loses a lot. Still, sometimes she wins. The lesson is: if you can't fight, you can't eat.

Ann is pretty tough with Soey, but protects her, too. She absolutely will not let Soey cross the street without first putting on her glasses and looking both ways. She tells Soey when it's time to nap, when she needs a bath. They play together and every few days, Ann searches Soey's hair for lice. (A constant problem in the slums, where children insist on sharing pillows.) Right now, Soey has the sniffles and Ann whomps her every time she uses her sleeve instead of a tissue.

What's this mean? First Ann protects Soey and then she womps her? Isn't this behavior contradictory? Yes and no. You see, Ann is teaching Soey the only skill she thinks she has: survival. Soey had never lived on the street and Ann, in her six-year-old savvy way, thinks that it's important to know how. In Klong Toey, it's hard to argue with that.

At the same time, Ann is learning the meaning of true friendship and loyalty and love: how to truly care for someone else. So as Soey comes out of her shell, Ann learns the rule of love, never received at home. That's a pretty strong bond. I'm sure they'll be sisters for life, even if they aren't together geographically.

Ann and Soey maybe have suffered more than most of us, both as children and adults, but that not what resurrection and being reborn is all about.

And kids like Ann and Soey are our teachers, our gurus. All we have to do is listen.

If you can get past the religion thing you could not do better than subscibe to Fr Joe's Human Development Foundation-Mercy Center in Klong Toey.

I have also visited Viengping on many occassions and it has always been a humbling experience.

Coming back to the place on the hill and the water tank, what sort of money are we talking about.

I guess if the terrain is that rugged it might have to be constructed insitu.

Of course Goodwill and support knows NO religious barriers – it’s just that I would prefer a non-religious organisation to benefit from my assets when I kick the bucket – many Christian charities up here help kids in the hills in ‘return’ for converting to Christianity.

I recognise that Good can be done by any religion, creed or philosophy but I also do not support any sort of emotional blackmail – from whatever source.

However, I can see ‘the end justifies the means’ argument in-so-far as the kids get fed and educated and half a loaf is better than none - its just that I would prefer to donate to a non-sectarian organisation.

Anway... let's try and do something :)

As with lumber and other big items we have always had it delivered to the bottom of the mountain and then the villagers and kids get it up top somehow. The main issue is vehicle clearance. Although I have 4 wheel drive I have never had to engage it. You just have to have a high clearance. I have seen many trucks go up so I think delivery is not a problem. We are getting prices now and I will report back.

Please post the details, cost etc., and collectively we might be able to do something.

hi

i can give you good ideas myself but i would imagine that the chaps at chiangmai toyride would know some good causes.

if you dont have contact names etc pm me and i will give provide if you want to ask them

cheers

al

Actually, I am watching this topic with interest myself. Surprisingly, it is rather difficult to come up with a worthwhile cause that, to paraphrase one poster 'doesn't have farangs lined up waiting to help' or that are rather quesionable for other reasons. The CMTR likes to assist children "under the radar" and not receiving much help elsewhere. Please keep posting ideas here. I am sure many besides the OP may be interested in helping a worthy cause.

Thanks - I Googled it - I'd prefer a cause which did not include relegious indoctrination to be honest - although i'm sure he does great work pictures of Thai kids holding up pictures of christian saints doesn't quiet match what I am trying to achieve but thanks anyway.

I visited the place a couple of years ago and met Father Joe. I was very impressed with him and his work. Because of him and his team hundreds, if not thousands, of Klong Toey street kids have been given medical care, education and above all some human kindness and love. His humanity rises far above his religious calling.

I am particularly cynical of Christian organizations that come to Thailand and I'm not religious but in my opinion Father Joe is a saint. He wrote a book about some of the kids that have come through the Mercy Centre. It's called the 'The Bangkok Slaughterhouse'.

Please visit and meet the people there before making comments.

Edited by Loaded

I visited the place a couple of years ago and met Father Joe. I was very impressed with him and his work. Because of him and his team hundreds, if not thousands, of Klong Toey street kids have been given medical care, education and above all some human kindness and love. His humanity rises far above his religious calling.

I am particularly cynical of Christian organizations that come to Thailand and I'm not religious but in my opinion Father Joe is a saint. He wrote a book about some of the kids that have come through the Mercy Centre. It's called the 'The Bangkok Slaughterhouse'.

Please visit and meet the people there before making comments.

I take your point and wasn't trying to denegrate the fantastic work done by any religion, creed or philosophy - help is help, love is love and whatever motivates someone to selflessly do 'something' get's a thumbs up from me!

I have had a successful (ish) career in the material West and now looking for something to redress the hedonistic 'balance' - so far my contributions have been pitiful and weak and I hope to find someway (not just through my death and my Will - which may be a way off!) but through some engagement whilst I'm still here!

I thought finding something would be easy - but it is not... and, of course, I want to ensure that it is effective and not lining someone's pocket - and some already get farang attention so something which is neglected would be preferrable.

Looks like there are a few posters who feel the same way - maybe we should group together and do something.

Hi - I live in Pattaya and am involved with Care4Kids. I don't want to rave about it you can look it up on their website and see what is done for Chonburi Province. Nearly 99% of the money goes to the projects, (not cash handouts) there is no administration costs - just payment for the items that we cannnot get for free, mainly printing costs. As I said have a look at the wesite. There are a h_ell of a lot of places that need help throughout Thailand and most we have never even heard of - it only takes 1 person to want to do something somewhere to make those less privileged have a better chance of life.

The school/orphanage I an trying to help requires basic needs more than toys although any kid loves a toy. It has no website. It doesn't have a meal plan for next week. I have lived here for 10 years and visited for 25 and it's only in the past three years I have done my homework. Where ever you decide to help it is indeed appreciated but please take a good hard look at who really need it the most...not just the easiest one to find and the most convenient to get to.

The school/orphanage I an trying to help requires basic needs more than toys although any kid loves a toy. It has no website. It doesn't have a meal plan for next week. I have lived here for 10 years and visited for 25 and it's only in the past three years I have done my homework. Where ever you decide to help it is indeed appreciated but please take a good hard look at who really need it the most...not just the easiest one to find and the most convenient to get to.

Good points... happy to try and help

interesting thread

I understand where the OP comes from and it's all perfectly fine and it doesn't matter either.

We have to clear up the mess.

Most of the miseries were/are created by man of all sorts of confessions, beliefs and creed, therefore it is not just enough to sooth the wounds but to create awareness to avoid repeating and creating miseries for others over and over again. By doing this, 99% of miseries can be wiped out. We should not forget that we have the resources to feed the whole world population eight times over - every single day. Why is it then that more than one billion people must go to bed hungry?

What is needed? - Transparency - Fast efficient reporting and help - Efficient management of resources - ...

I have created a website to tap into the usage and blessings of community scripts, where actually everything can be covered live whether with your PC/Notebook/web cams, mobile phone and where one can direct broadcast to your preferred group, private for your friends and family only, or for public viewing. A one stop community site where you can gather/share information on a global scale. All with lots of fun, entertainment, shopping utilities where everybody can buy and sell, event announcements and more, even dating.

Furthermore I'll setup cyber governments with interactive connections amongst nations as an experiment to gather ideas and information of what else might be possible in the real world, just for the extra fun with quite a bit of hope and confidence that the good things resulting out of that will materialize in the future.

At this stage I'm in the process of having the last bugs fixed and to enhance the scripts with even more convenient features. After this I'll have to to move to new servers to ensure that all broadcasting features work flawlessly. Seems to be ready by the end of the month. The site's is basically working fine already, apart from a few little issues and live broadcast.

Great minds and participants from all walks of life are welcome, especially calling out on NGOs' sectors determined to make this world a better place.

• 2 weeks later...

Sansai sam, Could you or another knowledgable poster please post directions and/or a map to Mae Mhae School and Orphanage? I would like to visit there this weekend. Thanks.

Just as an update... Mae Mhae look very deserving of every help they can get

From a Will prespective (what I started this thread to find) more difficult... as there is no foundation and it's a government school so not sure one could be set up (and there doesn't seem to be any motivation by those helping the school to set one up - if it were possible - which it may not be).

I do not have any family and wish to write into my Thai Will a very substantial sum to be divided between deserving causes - I am still looking - I will be very careful how I choose as I want the money (obviously) not to be squandered - I may end up setting up my own foundation to donate via an application process - not sure yet.

I am also looking (but this was not purpose of this thread) to find deserving causes to help whilst I am still alive - preferably causes which have little or no farang involvement - and I only say this because those that have farang involvement (like Mae Mhae) already get help from farang who. like me, wish to do something - and they are heros and heroines who deserve our gratitude and support - and so I figuered that I would be best placed to help somewhere where currently there is no help.

My help would not just be financial - I have contacts and 30 years senior management experience I'd like to utilise to set up web sites/foundations to help longer term. Delivery stuff for day-today neds is essential - but I want to set in place something with lasting assistance over decades - assistance which can be relied upon and planned.

Many of you have suggested very worthwhile causes and I may indeed write them in but I have still to find that small, quiet voice which has been unheard.

Best wishes to everyone

Agape House in Chiang Mai. I have been to this place. I donated my son's crib. It is a real place with a real need.

http://www.nikkisplace.org/about.htm

Located in Chiang Mai Thailand, the Agape Home for babies with HIV/AIDS opened in May 1996 as a response to the plight of children impacted by the spread of HIV/AIDS across Thailand. All of the children who come to the Agape Home to live are, or are at risk of being, HIV positive. Many of them have already lost their parents to AIDS, and there are no other options for their care.

Agape is a Greek word that means love: love that is unconditional and complete. Love and care are likely two of the first words that pop into the minds of visitors to the Agape Home. Agape Home is a bright and cheerful place, and amazingly clean and tidy despite the best efforts of the children to ensure otherwise! Situated in a rural setting, the sounds of children laughing and playing can readily be heard upon entering the front door. Keeping things running smoothly each day requires a coordinated effort between the full-time Thai staff and a team of volunteers who come from all over the world to help care for the children for periods of six months to one-year. Hands-on care is a way of life at Agape, and there are always at least eleven Thai nannies and four foreign volunteers working each of the two daily shifts.

Over the years as Agape Home has grown, so have the children. By 1998 there were enough older children to necessitate starting a school program on site. In August 2003, we moved into a new purpose built Preschool Building where the Agape children ages three to five attend school daily.

Agape Home is operated under the auspices of the Thai Department of Social Development and Welfare, and in our current facility we hope to continue to grow and serve more children---one day maybe even up to 100---full capacity.