Pattaya International Music Festival

craigt3365

I've done a quick search on the web and can't find detailed info on this upcoming event. I know the dates, but not what is playing on the various stages. If anyone knows the details, I would appreciate the info.

Also, any suggestions regarding attending the event? Like, where to sit, etc?

Thanks so much,

Craig

I noticed this post sliding down the pile with zero replies. The problem with the PatIntMusFes is that it's only international if you like Asian pop from Malaysia, Korea and Taiwan. The lack of replies to this post shows that. The organisers could do with casting their net a bit wider and making it a genuine International Music Festival. Without even going to the west, there must be plenty of worthwhile acts from say Russia, the middle east, Africa or south America that could be included.

Sadly, the answer to the OP question, "Any suggestions regarding attending the event?" is probably "Don't bother".

I noticed this post sliding down the pile with zero replies. The problem with the PatIntMusFes is that it's only international if you like Asian pop from Malaysia, Korea and Taiwan. The lack of replies to this post shows that. The organisers could do with casting their net a bit wider and making it a genuine International Music Festival. Without even going to the west, there must be plenty of worthwhile acts from say Russia, the middle east, Africa or south America that could be included.

Sadly, the answer to the OP question, "Any suggestions regarding attending the event?" is probably "Don't bother".

Agreed! I for one won't be going, I've already postponed a party because of it as last year a lot of expats etc stayed away from Walking St because of the amount of young Thai's zooming about on scooters etc.

The event killed most of Walking streets bars income for that weekend.

:-

Ugh...I saw a website from a year or so ago and noticed it had a "jazz" night. I went to the festival in Hua Hin a few years ago and it was OK. Something to do. Most acts were OK, a few really good. So I guess I was hoping for something like that. Oh well, guess I will give it a miss also...or brave it this one time just for the heck of it.

I Googled it and found this on a Thai forum (possibly correct date and information);

Pattaya International Music Festival 2010 (19 - 21 March 2010). Bands from Korea, China, Philippines, Laos, Malaysia, etc.

The thing I liked about this annual event is that the whole of Beach Road is closed to traffic and is packed full of different things to see and listen to. In 2009's event there were tents and stalls stretching the entire length of Beach Road, 4 music stages (the one at the bottom of Pattaya Klang at the fountain being the main stage and very crowded, the others at top end of Beach Road, Central, and Royal Garden). Large variety of foods and drinks, and things to buy, demonstrations like the cars with the big sound systems and neon lights, even Walking Street were doing their own thing. Lots to see and do, but if it wasn't to your liking you could head on to more familiar entertainment in Walking Street.

Regarding seating, limited of course, main stage there wasn't any seating, the other stages there were. Also a various sections along Beach Road there were beer and food tents where you could sit.

To give you an idea of 2009's event, here's some photos I took, all from Beach Road with the exception of one from Walking Street. As you can see, lots of people, the majority being Thai of course.

Edited to add the following: Forgot to mention that there was also another stage at Balihai Pier, but can't remember visiting that one in 2009.

post-17683-1267865874_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267865889_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866081_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866086_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866091_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866097_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866102_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866106_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866110_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866115_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866119_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866123_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866128_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866133_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866138_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866142_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866147_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1267866152_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomBrown

Looks like a blast. I might just bring my own folding beach chair. That is what we did at the Hua Hin Jazz Fest. Worked out great. I will be there for the jazz for sure!

Thanks!!!!!

P.S. I found this on this site: http://www.triptourthai.net/pattaya-intern...c-festival.html

On Friday, visitors can enjoy Pop songs at the Bali Hai, Rock at central Pattaya and easy listening music at Soi 4. On Saturday, Pop and Rock will be performed at the Bali Hai stage, Hip-Hop at central Pattaya, and Jazz at Soi 4, while on Sunday, visitors can enjoy Rock at Bali Hai, Country Western music at central Pattaya, and Pop Rock at Soi 4.

International artists from Korea, China, Australia, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Hong Kong will also join the event.

Edited by craigt3365

Hmmm....Korea, Malaysia, China, VietNam, Laos. Asian bubblegum pop, like I said. If anyone here goes to this festival perhaps you could report back with a review of the music you heard.

Somehow, Laos pop music doesn't fire me with enthusiasm. I'll stick with Dad Rock.

This festival is not match with old farang in Pattaya. LoL , It's a festival for young people in Thailand. Don't try to complain if you are not interesting. They are so many plenty who love it.

It also should be aimed at the tourists which it clearly isn't, it only attracts the Thais which is fine but not in a tourist area, IMO it should be called the S E Asian Music Festival and it should be held back up by soi 4 and Nth Pattaya etc leave Walking St and Bali Hi alone, it will be a dead night for the majority of businesses in the WS area not to mention the hundreds of helmetless idiots that will be zooming about everywhere drunk looking for trouble, same as last year.

OR

Why don't they incorporate the bands and music in the area including more mature acts like Inlekfi, Carabao or similar?

It only caters for young people as stated, I'm not that old but have to say I can't stand the music there at the moment.

:)

Edited by davethailand

This festival is not match with old farang in Pattaya. LoL , It's a festival for young people in Thailand. Don't try to complain if you are not interesting. They are so many plenty who love it.

It's not just a question of different tastes. Name ten Asian bands that have ever made it on the worldwide stage. OK then five? How about one? And there's about 2 billion people in Asia. The problem here is that the big record companies are fobbing you off with low grade dross and not seeking out and promoting the good musicians that must be out there.

The PatMusFes is just an opportunity for record companies to promote their "stars" and their advertisers. It has very little to do with music. You should insist on better.

LoL.

Crap local and Korean-gay-boy bands (Question: Why do all these supposedly hetro young Thai girls go nuts for obviously little Asian-boy bands?) ...who gives a <deleted>!

Just have to be sure to mark my calendar and keep away from Beach Road for the duration :)

Edited by Rimmer
Text made a little more user friendly by RIMMER

True. It is geared for the young Thai; however since they have three stages, it would be appropriate if the organizers had one stage with "Western bands" from a variety of countries. Not necessarily "famous" but able to represent music from that country.

My two Thai buddies and I like to walk down Beach Road and see what is for sale at the vendor stalls and people watch...but by the time we get back to the apartment, we are all drenched - like walking through a hot sauna, wall to wall people. I can only take about 45 minutes of the crowds. The concerts are shown on one of the TV channels.

Crap local and Korean-gay-boy bands (Question: Why do all these supposedly hetro young Thai girls go nuts for obviously little Asian-boy bands?) ...who gives a <deleted>!

Just have to be sure to mark my calendar and keep away from Beach Road for the duration :)

Sounds like you should stay away -PERIOD with your prejudices and shallow assumptions (and ignorance).

Sek Loso is Sunday at 22:30 on the Pink stage. That will be tough as Taxi is pretty much the same time. :)

Check out this link:

http://www.showded.com/myprofile/news_post...hp?newId=123632

Has a complete listing of all the bands...though some are listed in Thai...

We are going for sure tonight and Sunday. Wifey says some great bands are playing then...and don't have the energy for more than 2 nights anyway.

Wifey saw TomBrown's pics and is drooling over the food on display!!!! I am sure it will be crowded, but the people watching with be fantastic! Now, where to park....

i have never been so sick in my life and my wife is out of the country for work right now so, i'll be the first to say.... the broadcasting of this event live on TV makes it quite easy to still catch Sek sunday night. i know Aussiechick, this is 2 shows in a row that i've missed but, seriously, sick as a dog.