Pm10 Readings Correct In Chiang Mai?

earlofwindermere

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's Priceless?

I need to hear some number manipulation to feel better...

It isn't so bad..There was an article two sundays ago in Bkk Post (Brunch section) promoting Chiang Mai as becoming Thailand's cleanest city and eventual role model for other Thai cities.

Programs such as collecting recyclables on saturdays at King's Monument, covering canals to catch garbage and effluent from people's dumping and best of all in April creating a wetland - "a natural waste water treatment facility on a vacant lot to treat waste water from the canals in the most natural affordable way." That sure differs from my definition of a wetland...

The artcle's sub-title is "waste disposal and clean air campaign puts city on a cleaner path"..This is exciting stuff....

CB

Oh wait, if we go for the highest of the Chiang Mai stations then I would like to revise my guess to 286.5

I bid 287 :)

Over still counts! This isn't "The Price is Right"; whoever is closest (above or below) wins!

I know, that means that I occupy from 287 to infinity. :D

Oh wait, if we go for the highest of the Chiang Mai stations then I would like to revise my guess to 286.5

I bid 287 :)

Over still counts! This isn't "The Price is Right"; whoever is closest (above or below) wins!

I know, that means that I occupy from 287 to infinity. :D

Looks like it at the moment.... Do I hear......?

Can anyone tell me if you can go up in elevation to get away from the pollution? It seems a lot of friends have headed down South... wondering it's possible to head up north/up hill and get some cleaner air. Thanks in advance; heading outside to burn my recycling.

I tried to post these this morning, 3 photos taken around 9:30 AM today. Servers were too busy, what with the red shirt rally.

I live almost at the base of Doi Suthep, near CMU. 11th floor of the last tall apt bldg going west on Huay Kaew Rd.

1st is looking west towards Doi Suthep. 2nd north towards Mae Rim, 3rd east back towards town.

post-23786-1268743898_thumb.jpg

post-23786-1268743929_thumb.jpg

post-23786-1268743957_thumb.jpg

I won't venture a guess as to the particle count. Doesn't really matter to me at this point, the exact numeric.

This is hellish. I would be surprised if this level of smog wouldn't affect airport traffic....

Visibility less than 2 km, and that is being generous.

Can anyone tell me if you can go up in elevation to get away from the pollution? It seems a lot of friends have headed down South... wondering it's possible to head up north/up hill and get some cleaner air. Thanks in advance; heading outside to burn my recycling.

I went for a drive to the top of DoiSuteph today. It was still not goodthere but a lot better than down here next to CMU.

Again, it's a regional issue and the further North away from town you go, the worse it gets.

That said the readings high up mountains are better, but there's few places to actually stay. Compare that with going to Pattaya or Phuket, where the air is completely clean and there are LOADS of places to stay.

I went for a drive to the top of DoiSuteph today. It was still not goodthere but a lot better than down here next to CMU.

You could try Doi Inthanon about 2 hours out of town and the highest point in Thailand.

Again, it's a regional issue and the further North away from town you go, the worse it gets.

That said the readings high up mountains are better, but there's few places to actually stay. Compare that with going to Pattaya or Phuket, where the air is completely clean and there are LOADS of places to stay.

WTK,

Perhaps Pai, Mae Hong Son, and Chiang Dao are not doing well in their areas - as in every year, soooooo, one could say where there's fire there's smoke! This is not meant as a joke....

You could try Doi Inthanon about 2 hours out of town and the highest point in Thailand.

That sounds like a good idea!

It isn't so bad..There was an article two sundays ago in Bkk Post (Brunch section) promoting Chiang Mai as becoming Thailand's cleanest city and eventual role model for other Thai cities.

It isn't so bad? We are at the peak right now with PM10 concentration five times the EU limit. Visibility is down to 500m or less and many people display symptoms. At this time, Northern Thailand is the one of the places with the worst air pollution on the planet. You have to be really out of touch with reality not to recognise that.

The only reason I and my family are still here is because we await the completion of a visa procedure. We will be off to the south soon. I intend to make this a habit, by the way, because we consider Northern Thailand uninhabitable during March.

Cheers, CMX

It isn't so bad? We are at the peak right now with PM10 concentration five times the EU limit. Visibility is down to 500m or less and many people display symptoms. At this time, Northern Thailand is the one of the places with the worst air pollution on the planet. You have to be really out of touch with reality not to recognise that.

The only reason I and my family are still here is because we await the completion of a visa procedure. We will be off to the south soon. I intend to make this a habit, by the way, because we consider Northern Thailand uninhabitable during March.

Cheers, CMX

It's livable here - yes! If one stays inside with 2 or 3 air filters running constantly in a single room!!!!!!

I tried to post these this morning, 3 photos taken around 9:30 AM today.

When taking pictures, it's better to do so around noon-1pm as any influence from morning moisture will have gone. (Assuming you're taking pictures for the sake of comparison)

(And currenlty it's bad enough around noon. :) )

That sounds like a good idea!

And then what? Are you going to sit there at the 'Highest Peak in Thailand" sign for the next week or so?