Thailand Urges UAE To Evict Thaksin

george

Thailand urges UAE to evict Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has sought the cooperation of the United Arab Emirates in not habouring ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin

Shinawatra as he has been using its soil as his political base to topple the Thai government, according to an aide to the Thai foreign minister .

Chavanont Intarakomalsut said the Thai foreign ministry has established facts to prove that Mr Thaksin has been using the UAE as his base for

political activities aiming to overthrow the Thai government. Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya therefore asked the UAE ambassador to Thailand

Mohammed Ali Omran Al Shamsi to report the fact to his government.

The UAE envoy pledged to convey the message to his government as soon as possible, Mr Chavanont said, adding that the Thai foreign ministry expects to hear a satisfactory reply from the UAE soon.

Deposed by the 2006 bloodless coup, Mr Thaksin is now living in exile, mosty in Dubai, after being convicted in absentia two years in jail for violating the country’s conflict of interest law regarding his role in helping his wife secured a plot of Bangkok land at a below the market price. He was also denied entry to some countries including the United Kingdom and Germany.

The fugitive ex-premier addressed his Red Shirt supporters via video link several times from Dubai, calling on them to join this weekend's mass

protest of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) in Bangkok to oust the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration.

Mr Chavanont said the Thai foreign ministry has not indicated the timeline for Mr Thaksin's departure as it depends on the UAE.

The Thai foreign minister's secretary said he hoped the UAE government would cooperate with Thailand at a certain level as it has asked the Thai

foreign ministry to translate the Thai Supreme Court's recent verdict on Mr Thaksin's frozen assets in Arabic, in which he said demonstrating that the UAE is interested in the matter.

The UAE government had earlier said it would not allow Mr Thaksin to use its soil as his political base, and now that things become clear, so we

hope the UAE will keep its word, Mr Chavanont said.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

If I was a wanted criminal and fugitive living here in Bangkok when Thaksin was in charge I am sure he would have deported me without batting an eyelid, this is why I have no sympathy for the man. His crimes are irrelevant to me.

It does appear that Thaksin has been running political operations from the region in breach of the request by the UAE authorities that he should not continue doing this.

Maybe they will arrest and deport him, especially once the scale of his political interference becomes obvious over the next week or so.

If Thaksin arrives back in Bangkok in chains and is thrown in prison I think there would be even more trouble than if he stayed out of the country, perhaps that's why they have allowed him to carry on so far, however with the coming problems over the next week or so this situation may be been the tipping point at which it would be better to lock him up and control him.

The single most dangerous situation that I can envisage would be for Thaksin to arrive back in Bangkok whilst the demonstrations are still continuing next week, I doubt that would happen by force though. However if I were Thaksin I would know this to be the best possible time to return to Thailand, if they really believe they will topple the government next week then Thaksins arrival during the protests would only fuel the flames of rebellion further.

Anyone still wondering why the UK, the UAE and other countries aren't complying with Abhisit's extradition requests? A few months ago they even mentioned that Thaksin would be hunted down by Interpol. Nothing happened. I wonder why?

Anyone still wondering why the UK, the UAE and other countries aren't complying with Abhisit's extradition requests? A few months ago they even mentioned that Thaksin would be hunted down by Interpol. Nothing happened. I wonder why?

because it is just the propaganda of the Abhisit government and their wishful thinking.

nothing will happen, that doesn't have to mean they consider him outside of Thailand as totally innocent, but it is the diplomatic answer of that other countries.

maybe the Abhisit government should threaten the authority officials of all that foreign states that don't extradite Thaksin or openly support him with 5 years jail, just like they did it with foreigners that try to attend the red shirt protests.

Has an an official extradition request been filed by Thailand. I have seen numerous news reports aluding to extradition request being made but all of the countries that have were to have received the requests deny any such request has been made.

I suspect that most countries are not going to do anything unless official requests are made. It really appears that these requests have been just press releases. I, too, wonder what is really going on here?

First off, Interpol is not interested in Thaksin. He's small fish for them.

UAE won't extradite him, but will likely put a 'personna non grata' stamp in one or more of his passports - to which T will just scoot to another place, maybe Kuwait or Jordan .....who knows.

UAE is reluctant to boot the scoundrel out because he unloads a bunch of money each week, and has probably promised to invest big bucks there, - which he does every place he visits.

Sounds like Thai authorities are ready to be uncharacteristically firm in their request for UAE to do something - and I reckon it will work, at least enough to get him to move his pile of troubles somewhere else.

He's not in the UK so they can't extradite him and I don't think they were asked while he was there. I could be wrong. As far as I remember they cancelled his visa.

I watched his rants last night on TV. He looked like a crazy man. My wife translated, and you would not believe the rubbish he was ranting about. With an audience in Issan waving and clapping for him. I could only take about 20 minutes before I had to change the channel.

I guess I wonder why the Thai government lets him broadcast? I know it is his TV station, or satellite link, or whatever...but it was filled with requests to overthrow the government. How bad they are. Why he would be better and what he would do to help them if he came back. I have to say it BLOWS my mind these people believe this crap.

UnF'in real....

If you have a chance, turn in and have your wife translate...if your stomach can handle it....

Twenty years ago, when I was working in Dubai (Jebel Ali Hotel), they got a pool attendant deported and blacklisted just because he was chatting a little bit too long with a SAS air hostess. One kid, son of a prominent locale family, had an eye on her and did not appreciate it, so he got him reported.

As a resident manager, I had to accompany my staff back to Bombay... not to say that I never went back to pick up my job.

They blacklisted me, as well, two years for breach of contract!

Edited by lazygourmet

He won't be able to continue as red shirt puppet master if he is locked up.

A martyr is easy to make, but hard to rid. (right or wrong) why do things the hard way. Let this candle burn, it only has a given life span.

^because they do not recognize politicized charges/convictions? :)

Or because he's still a billionaire, and they need the investment, desperately ? Very practical people, the Arabs. :D

I watched his rants last night on TV. He looked like a crazy man. My wife translated, and you would not believe the rubbish he was ranting about. With an audience in Issan waving and clapping for him. I could only take about 20 minutes before I had to change the channel.

I guess I wonder why the Thai government lets him broadcast? I know it is his TV station, or satellite link, or whatever...but it was filled with requests to overthrow the government.

<snip for brevity>

Perhaps they have some misguided notion about freedom-of-speech ? It's definitely more free than previously, when both Red-TV and ASTV are available to view at the same time, although I wouldn't suggest for a moment that there isn't a long way further to go.

Or perhaps they're just giving him enough rope to hang himself ? :D

Maybe it had something to do with a certain piece of jewelery that is still "missing"... Perhaps a very fast back pedal by the PM and FM when asked of said jewelery.

Twenty years ago, when I was working in Dubai (Jebel Ali Hotel), they got a pool attendant deported and blacklisted just because he was chatting a little bit too long with a SAS air hostess. One kid, son of a prominent locale family, had an eye on her and did not appreciate it, so he got him reported.

As a resident manager, I had to accompany my staff back to Bombay... not to say that I never went back to pick up my job.

They blacklisted me, as well, two years for breach of contract!

Yeah they are crazy, I was watching on TV last night... Some western woman was in Dubai, with her fiance and some hotel staff raped her, so she reported it to the police. The police then charged HER because she was having sex out of wedlock with her fiance.... crazy.

I will never go to Dubai, they have one of the most crooked justice systems.

because it is just the propaganda of the Abhisit government and their wishful thinking.

nothing will happen, that doesn't have to mean they consider him outside of Thailand as totally innocent, but it is the diplomatic answer of that other countries.

maybe the Abhisit government should threaten the authority officials of all that foreign states that don't extradite Thaksin or openly support him with 5 years jail, just like they did it with foreigners that try to attend the red shirt protests.

**deleted post quoted**

Be nice ... if it's red shirt propaganda, it should be pretty easy to put down with a few facts without getting personal.

I would have to say that some it is correct. It is probably wishful thinking that UAE would actually do something about it.

Also, you would probably not get many countries extraditing him because of a piddly little jail sentence. Hopefully they cancel his visa as the UK did. If he has to manage his propaganda machine from Cambodia he's not going to get much support here.

The UK? He has been refused entry there.

Maybe it had something to do with a certain piece of jewelery that is still "missing"... Perhaps a very fast back pedal by the PM and FM when asked of said jewelery.

Nothing to do with that, as that was in Saudi Arabia.

Yeah they are crazy, I was watching on TV last night... Some western woman was in Dubai, with her fiance and some hotel staff raped her, so she reported it to the police. The police then charged HER because she was having sex out of wedlock with her fiance.... crazy. I will never go to Dubai, they have one of the most crooked justice systems.

Just what Thaksin likes, places where justice is meted out subjectively and unevenly: Nicaragua, Liberia, Ugunda, Cambodia, ...to name just a few of his hide-outs.

Interesting that Thaksin enjoys many of the things that he (and/or Thailand) explicitly forbade while he was PM: Namely:

>>>> Using several passports, and at least two names.

>>>> Owning property and doing any sorts of businesses in a host country.

>>>> Being forgiven for being a fugitive from justice.

>>>> Transferring any amounts of money in and out of the host country.

Edited by brahmburgers

Interesting that Thaksin enjoys many of the things that he (and/or Thailand) explicitly forbade while he was PM: Namely:

>>>> Using several passports, and at least two names.

>>>> Owning property and doing any sorts of businesses in a host country.

>>>> Being forgiven for being a fugitive from justice.

>>>> Transferring any amounts of money in and out of the host country.

:facedesk:

are all these things allowed now in Thailand and have been allowed before Thaksin was in power?

He's not in the UK so they can't extradite him and I don't think they were asked while he was there. I could be wrong. As far as I remember they cancelled his visa.

There has been much talk about extradition requests but I haven't found anyone who knows of an official extradition request being made. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. An extradition probably won't happen without an official request. Other countries have laws. They can't just throw a person out with cause and a fair judicial hearing.