Favorite Song...

Wolfie

Pretty much anything by Leonard Cohen.... especially the track that was featured in Natural Born Killers... Waiting for the miracle or something

totster  :o

If you want to continue in a reflective mood, then its pretty hard to beat Leonard Cohen's version of "Everybody Knows"

The song was written by Neil Diamond and was featured in the movie "Pump up the Volume", but it's definitely a little darker than your average "Song Sung Blue"...!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much anything by Leonard Cohen.... especially the track that was featured in Natural Born Killers... Waiting for the miracle or something

totster  :o

If you want to continue in a reflective mood, then its pretty hard to beat Leonard Cohen's version of "Everybody Knows"

The song was written by Neil Diamond and was featured in the movie "Pump up the Volume", but it's definitely a little darker than your average "Song Sung Blue"...!!!

Everybody Knows, what a great song as much on LCs stuff. Neil Dimond started off in the Bob Dylan mode, very folky, but then turned commercial.

Edited by HarryHacker

there's a song called "Crazy", circa 1997/98, can't remember the artist (NOT Seal) can anyone enlighten me?

I'm pretty sure the song you are thinking of is by a band called "Icehouse":

You gotta be crazy baby... to want a guy like me...?

That's about 10 years too early. This song was released in 97 or 98 on an MTV Asia compilation (I think) - tried googling but just cant find it

Got it! Cordrazine. Now I can sleep...

totster  :D

Cohen is the wrist-slashing genius ... he is the master of depression.

Personally, The The (Matt Johnson) always gets me. :D

to pick me up if i'm down. Firestarter- The Prodigy

That and Breathe always gets me hyped up – once made the mistake of listening to it before a yoga class, found it hard to relax. :o

Cohen is the wrist-slashing genius ... he is the master of depression.

Personally, The The (Matt Johnson) always gets me. :D

Now you mention it, I do recall one 'The The' song that would fit in here. It's years since I listened to it, but I believe it was called "Kingdom of Rain" (?)

The album had a picture of a dove impailed upon a bayonet....lovely :o

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - versions by Clapton or Harrison

Stand By Me - John Lennon

Angie - Stones

You Cant Always Get What You Want - Stones

We've Got to Get Out Of This Place - Animals

Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner - Warren Zevon

totster  :D

Is he still alive, Tots? :o:D

As far as I know he's still alive and living in a hut on a mountain somewhere.

I too like 'Waiting For The Miracle' and a lot of his early 90's comeback stuff.

I bought the album 'The Future' after buying the NBK soundtrack and was very impressed, there's three songs Oliver Stone used but only two made the soundtrack, though the cd is possibly his LEAST depressing.

My mate Felix used to listen to a lot of early Leonard Cohen and ended up taking an overdose after being made redundant from Kodak and being told his liver was a mess.

He's fine now, last I saw he was high on Prozac and on a musical diet of Squeeze and Ian Dury. :D

Nothing beats George Thorogood's "Drink Alone"

I drink alone, yeah,

with nobody else

I drink alone, yeah,

with nobody else

You know when I drink alone,

I prefer to be by myself

Every morning just before breakfast,

I don't want no coffee or tea

Just me and good buddy Wiser,

that's all I ever need

'Cause I drink alone, yeah,

with nobody else

Yeah, you know when I drink alone,

I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping,

and I woke from a terrible dream

So I caught up my pal Jack Daniel's,

and his partner Jimmy Beam

And we drank alone, yeah,

with nobody else

I prefer to be by myself

The other day I got invited to a party,

but I stayed home instead

Just me and my pal Johnny Walker,

and his brothers Black and Red

And we drank alone, yeah,

with nobody else

I prefer to be by myself

My whole family done give up on me,

and it makes me feel oh so bad

The only one who will hang out with me,

is my dear old granddad

And we drink alone, yeah,

with nobody else

I prefer to be by myself

Always look on the bright side of life .Monty Python.

Corny I know,but it always tells me that things will get better.

It reminds me of things that have happened in the past,that at the time really troubled me,but now simply pale into insignificence.

When you listen to "I've been loving you too long" and "pain in my heart" followed by "A change is gonna come". "Mr. Pitiful", "Respect

and finally "Tramp" and "Love man" you are cured of the blues.

Peformed by the master himself who has so much pain in his voice that your own pain is insignificant.

When you listen to "I've been loving you too long" and "pain in my heart" followed by "A change is gonna come". "Mr. Pitiful", "Respect

and finally "Tramp" and "Love man" you are cured of the blues.

Peformed by the master himself who has so much pain in his voice that your own pain is insignificant.

This advice ought to be cross-posted in every Health forum.

A dose of Otis cures almost any ailment (I'd include "Try a little Tenderness" as well).

I'm a blues/R&B/boogie-woogie fanatic, so anything along those lines usually does the trick for a pick-me-up.

Though if I were forced to pick absolutely one and only one, then it would probably be Steely Dan's "Aja."

Wayne Shorter's sax solos and Steve Gadd's drumwork were so inventive, unique and never since replicated anywhere, that the song always makes me appreciate the musician-ship and forget about everything else for a few minutes.

I'm a blues/R&B/boogie-woogie fanatic, so anything along those lines usually does the trick for a pick-me-up.

Though if I were forced to pick absolutely one and only one, then it would probably be Steely Dan's "Aja."

Wayne Shorter's sax solos and Steve Gadd's drumwork were so inventive, unique and never since replicated anywhere, that the song always makes me appreciate the musician-ship and forget about everything else for a few minutes.

How could I forget about Steely Dan (I must have had a mind block or something)?

I've got everything they have ever recorded but have a “Best of.." Cd that is guaranteed to bring me out of the deepest Deacon Blues.

BTW, a bit of useless information (I love to boast), my eldest son who plays drums in a heavy metal band, studied for 6 months under Steve Gadd.

Which gives me an idea for another thread - a list of the best numbers Steve Gadd has played on - impossible to find only 10 out of the hundreds of excellent numbers on which he has helped.

God Save the Queen

God save the queen

The fascist regime

They made you a moron

Potential H-bomb

God save the queen

She aint no human being

There is no future

In England's dreaming

Don't be told what you want

Don't be told what you need

There's no future no future

No future for you

God save the queen

We mean it man

We love our queen

God saves

God save the queen

'Cos tourists are money

Our figures head

Is not what she seems

Oh god save history

God save your mad parade

Oh lord god have mercy

All crimes are paid

When there's no future

How can there be sin

We're the flowers in the dustbin

We're the poison in your human machine

We're the future you're future

God save the queen

We mean it man

We love our queen

God saves

God save the queen

We mean it man

And there is no future

In England's dreaming

No future no future

No future for you

No future no future

No future for me

No future no future

No future for you

No future no future

No future for you

No future no future for you

Everything I do, I do it for you - Bryan Adams

i hate that song. :o

to pick me up if i'm down. Firestarter- The Prodigy

If i'm down and want to get further down. i great song. The End - the Doors

Agreed twice! BA's a countryman but that song is pure pop fluff. The End...doom meets gloom... Great song.

How bout- Time to Say Goodbye (Con Te Partirò) Andrea Bocelli w Sarah Brightman (max volume!) :D Or, Led Zep 'Going to California', Still got the blues- Gary moore, Sailing- Rod Stewart, The Boxer- Simon & Garfunkle, Black Hole Sun- Soundgarden, Clocks- Coldplay and the list goes on. Each of these songs can be equally inspiring as well (at least for me) :D As someone said earlier, (quoting Monty Python) "Always look on the bright side of life" :D

Edit: forgot "Superman"- Crash Test Dummies, great Canadian 'wheat rock n blues'. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm...

Edited by bahtandsold

BTW, a bit of useless information (I love to boast), my eldest son who plays drums in a heavy metal band, studied for 6 months under Steve Gadd.

That's pretty awesome! Your kid must be a heckuva drummer.

I had one close friend and several acquaintances at university who were all drummers. Each and every one of them used to constantly tweak their skins to try to replicate the Gadd sound. That sound is very reconizable.

Which gives me an idea for another thread - a list of the best numbers Steve Gadd has played on - impossible to find only 10 out of the hundreds of excellent numbers on which he has helped.

He has done albums and tours with Paul Simon and Eric Clapton. He's in that b*mb of a movie "One Trick Pony" that Simon made back when that album came out. He's the featured drummer in one of Clapton's video dvds. He was the session drummer on Lee Ritenour's fantastic debut album in the late 70's.

I could dig up a lot more, but don't have the time. The websites would probably give a lot more detail:

http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/sgadd/

Strange thing is that as good as "Aja" and Steely Dan are, I don't think Gadd did anything before or after that with them.

Another one (...came to mind 'cuz I'm listening to it right now...) is Santana's "Samba Pa Ti" instrumental but not just any version. The one I'm referring to is an older and rarer live version from the Classic Santana compilation album. It's a great one!

That's pretty awesome! Your kid must be a heckuva drummer.

I had one close friend and several acquaintances at university who were all drummers. Each and every one of them used to constantly tweak their skins to try to replicate the Gadd sound. That sound is very reconizable.

He has done albums and tours with Paul Simon and Eric Clapton. He's in that b*mb of a movie "One Trick Pony" that Simon made back when that album came out. He's the featured drummer in one of Clapton's video dvds. He was the session drummer on Lee Ritenour's fantastic debut album in the late 70's.

I could dig up a lot more, but don't have the time. The websites would probably give a lot more detail:

http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/sgadd/

Strange thing is that as good as "Aja" and Steely Dan are, I don't think Gadd did anything before or after that with them.

Not True:

1977 Aja

1979 Greatest Hits

1980 Gaucho

1982 Gold

1985 Decade of Steely Dan

1993 Citizen Steely Dan

BTW I have a list of every CD/Album Steve Gadd has ever worked on. It fills ten pages of of A4, single spaced, 2 or 3 albums per line.

I'll post it on a seperate thread.