Where To Find Good Vpn ?

aerorsemern

Not sure of your question. I got one located in my home country so when ordering online it would show an IP address in my country which solved many of my ordering issues. If you are inquiring about honest or good companies I only ever used one private vpn which is BananaVpn and they give you a choice of USA or Britain for IP address. I believe it cost me $26/mo

One of my primary considerations in choosing a VPN is being able to access Hulu....which supposedly is pretty adamant about blocking VPN access...

So originally tried GoTrusted, which worked for a while, and then no longer worked, and their tech support was little or no help in resolving the problem.

Then switched to Witopia.... Most of their U.S. server IPs at present don't work with Hulu, but a couple do, and those have been enough, thus far. And the nice part of their service is, you can switch among all of their various server locations (U.S. East and West Coast, England and Hong Kong) without limit and without any extra fees or charges, as often as you want or need.

Witopia's personalVPN™ – SSL service runs $60 per year, which works out as $5 per month.

Along the way, also checked into StrongVPN. They have a wider variety of pricing (and access) plans than Witopia, meaning you can pay a lot more, depending on the plan you choose. Lots of server locations in the U.S., England and elsewhere.

But one drawback I noticed was that unlike Witopia, StrongVPN essentially want you to pick one primary server connection. And then, each month, depending on your plan, they allow you to change that location a certain number of times, like 5 times to start. And if you want to change more often, you're going to pay extra for that.

And at least in my experience testing their access speeds, they can vary quite a bit, even among the probably dozen or so different server IPs they have for one city like San Francisco, for example. And even server IP changes among different IPs for a single city count as server changes under their system, as they explained it. Not just changing from one city to another, like New York vs. San Fran. So that put me off trying them, for the time being...

On the plus side, StrongVPN's support folks swore up and down that they haven't had any problems with customers being able to access Hulu thru any of their connections.... Which seems kind of interesting, unusual, because the other similar providers all seem to have varying problems with that....

• 1 year later...

I have been using GoTrusted for over a year. Their tech support seems alright but they don't automatically advise when an update is available. When I started having issues with US-based ip's, I uninstalled the version I had, downloaded and installed the newest version and solved the problem. The newest version also allows you to chose from 4 global locations. It's about 5 bucks/month. A business buddy recommends Witopia and it's about the same price.

I have been using GoTrusted for over a year. Their tech support seems alright but they don't automatically advise when an update is available.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by an update?

With StrongVPN there is nothing downloaded on my PC

I just use the standard network support of Win 7 (previously Win XP)

I can choose hosting in a number of countries in Europe and the US

Some of them have a file package that needs installed. Witopia is one of them. You need to re download the install package to see the new or updated proxies. I had to do that 3 or 4 times to view new countries in their list of ips. For some ungodly reason, there is no automated updates.

Yes.... Pib is correct above...

For VPNs using Open SSL, there usually is a software package to install. That's certainly the case with Witopia...

But for VPNs using PPTP or other similar connection methods, all the setup can be done within Windows itself... no software to install...

Re Witopia... they offer packages that offer Open SSL and PPTP together, which is a bit higher in price... And they offer PPTP only packages that are a bit lower in price.... Both have plenty of access points in the U.S., if that's one's need.

However, I did some extensive testing with Witopia some time back.... And what I discovered was that the FASTEST way to connect using their service is not to use PPTP or Open SSL at all.

But instead, as part of all of their plans, they offer a private proxy (user ID and password protected) that gives you the choice of several US IP locations. And using their proxy works great with all the major U.S. content providers.... Not had one yet balk at making the connection.

Among the three, Open SSL was the slowest.... followed by PPTP, which was somewhat faster.... And then their private proxy server, which was the fastest of the three. So these days, I pretty much never use the PPTP plan that I'm subscribed to, and instead use the proxy service that's included as part of that plan.

The reason for the speed differential, by the way, is that the proxy connection is using no encryption, meaning the data flow is not encumbered.... Whereas with PPTP, the connection is encrypted, meaning the data flow is slower....

So if you're worried about anyone snooping or trying to block your connection, PPTP is the way to go... But if you just need a U.S. IP address for content access, then the private proxy is the way to go. Their PPTP and proxy package is $6 a month or $50 for the year.

I like Witopia and have used them for years. Reasonably priced, top notch technical support, and very competitive in price. I have found their servers to be fast, plus they have about 15 different servers you can choose from in either the USA, Hong Kong, or the UK.

http://www.witopia.net/welcome.php

Checked them out and they suit my purposes. Signed up today but their system got confused, no doubt by my very slow connection at the time. No problem, immediate online support and to apologise for my (very minor) inconvenience they gave me a 1-year Pro Package for free. Can't beat that for service.

Thanks for the recommendation.