Five Bombs Hit Surat Thani Ahead Of Red Shirt Rally

webfact

Five bombs hit Surat Thani ahead of Red Shirt rally

SURAT THANI (TNA) -– Five bombs rocked the southern province of Surat Thani Friday morning as the anti-government United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) began moving to the capital for the mass gathering aimed to topple the government.

No one was wounded in the five incidents. Late police reports said demolitions experts were inspecting two suspicious objects.

Two more bombs exploded almost simultaneously near Tesco Lotus supermarket and a resting area in the municipality after three bombs hits the province early morning.

The first bomb went off near an intersection on a bypass road at 5am. Ten minutes later, a second bomb exploded opposite the Bangjongburi Hotel, 800 metres away. An electrical power pole and a billboard were slightly damaged

The third bomb occurred 500 metres from Fort Wiphavadirangsit Hospital. An unexploded homemade bomb was also found at the site.

The police said the bombs were detonated by mobile phones.

It is believed that bombs were aimed to create disturbance ahead of the mass demonstration of the UDD in Bangkok, which is set to start Friday.

The major movement is scheduled on Sunday when protesters will head to the main protest site on Rajdamnoen Avenue from the Phan Fah Bridge to the Royal Plaza.

Red Shirt leaders expect about one million people to join the mass demonstration. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

IMPORTANT INFO FOR FOREIGNERS LIVING IN THAILAND

As an expat you are advised to follow the developing news for your security!

Follow the Breaking News updates via Thaivisa:

- Breaking News via SMS text messages to your mobile phone or

handheld device

To subscribe dial *424010011 on AIS, One-2-Call, DTAC or True Move networks

14 days complementary subscription for Thaivisa members.

If you have questions about the Breaking News SMS service, email

[email protected]

OR follow us:

- Via Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/farang

- Via Twitter:

http://twitter.com/georgebkk

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excuse me if i'm wrong but there have been bomb attacks in the south pretty much every other day or so for the past 5 years. Unless I'm mistaken, Surat Thani isn't really a Red area either. Is there any actual evidence linking the Red Shirt protests to the bombings?

Excuse me if i'm wrong but there have been bomb attacks in the south pretty much every other day or so for the past 5 years. Unless I'm mistaken, Surat Thani isn't really a Red area either. Is there any actual evidence linking the Red Shirt protests to the bombings?

"Five bombs rocked the southern province of Surat Thani Friday morning as the anti-government United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) began moving to the capital for the mass gathering aimed to topple the government."

Ofcourse, they were probably moving to the capital from somewhere near the north and nowhere near the south, but what has that got to do with the good reporting from The Nation??

"Five bombs rocked the southern province of Surat Thani Friday morning as the anti-government United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) began moving to the capital for the mass gathering aimed to topple the government."

Ofcourse, they were probably moving to the capital from somewhere near the north and nowhere near the south, but what has that got to do with the good reporting from The Nation??

So what does bombing in the south have to do with udd gathering in bangkok? I personally donot see the connection. Thats like saying I caught a cold because my uncle in Canada sneezed.

Surat Thani is rarely a targeted site of southern separatist terrorists who primarily bomb away in Pattani, Yala and Narithiwat. Outside of those three provinces, Songkhla and Had Yai in it are more often targeted.

Red still looks like red to me.

So what does bombing in the south have to do with udd gathering in bangkok? I personally donot see the connection. Thats like saying I caught a cold because my uncle in Canada sneezed.

It doesn't, but it makes a good headline. Like "Swine flu in Canada. Lovelomsak's uncle sneezed".

It doesn't, but it makes a good headline. Like "Swine flu in Canada. Lovelomsak's uncle sneezed".

I feel a cold coming on. :)

OK i got it its about selling newspapers. Thanks

Thailand has a serious hangover and has no idea how they got it or how to remove it.

:):D

I must add, and does not even know that there is a serious hangover.

Bombing in Suratthani is unusual. Once again, not enough information to comment upon. Home made explosives? I guess then it is not them red shirts. They prefer grenades stolen from army barracks. Southern trouble makers? nope they haven't done anything of this sort way up to Suratthani. Once again, home made stuff? Yellow yellow dirty fellow did it? Who knows. This is all becoming too farcical. It's like saying that we will fight for sake of peace or kill in name of GOD.

I don't want to speculate on anything any more. Docs have strongly suggested that I should stay away from any stressful situation.

Deputy PM Suthep Thuagsuban comes from Suratthani.

Yes you are wrong Surat Thani is more than 500 km away from that (moslim) area :D

Why you install bombs on your gathering area .... no it was not the red shirts

Pieter :)

And this is going to be a "peaceful demonstration" ........................................

I didn't know that any group had as yet claimed responsibility for the bombs. what do you know that the media doesnt yet know?

No group has claimed responsibility. The article implies that the blast occurred as the red shirts were leaving for Bangkok.

And no group will claim responsibility for any violence in Bangkok either. It doesn't matter how they're dressed. It will all be blamed on other groups.

Beware of red shirts (or blue shirts or yellow shirts or green shirts) because they might actually be blue shirts or yellow shirts or green shirts (or red shirts) dressed as red shirts (or blue shirts or yellow shirts or green shirts).

some foreigners reading the thread's title might think that surat thani is a district of bangkok, somewhere close where the domonstrations are going to be.

it's not only the nation selling papers, but tv as well. I think I will stop following tv news editor emails coming to my box, for the next few days - I do expect "information" overload

Deputy PM Suthep Thuagsuban comes from Suratthani.

Now I see a bright Red.

some foreigners reading the thread's title might think that surat thani is a district of bangkok, somewhere close where the domonstrations are going to be.

it's not only the nation selling papers, but tv as well. I think I will stop following tv news editor emails coming to my box, for the next few days - I do expect "information" overload

Surat Thani is a province in Thailand's southern region, bordered by the Gulf of Thailand, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Krabi, Phangna, Ranong, and Chumphon provinces. It is over six hundred kilometres from Bangkok.

Why set off any bomb at 5:00am? and slightly damaging a light pole? dam_n - now I am really scared! One home made unexploded and so on. Real professionals. If it 'were' red shirts I am sure it would have been more effective and professional. And can't see how it proves or disproves anything. Surat Thani ain't a bustling city with targets! Idiots to be sure... and yes with bombings and murders daily by Moslems in the south where even Thai is no longer spoken (only Bahasa from Malaysia's influence), you would think it is all worth a yawn. :)

Edited by asiawatcher

not in surat, that's way south not surat.

my pregnant step daughter lives in Suart. we're obviously worried about that, no idea the reds were interested outside BKK and maybe CM

The Deputy PM Suthep is from Surat and is an ardent foe of Thaksin. This is not the first anti-Suthep disturbance in Surat Thani.

Foolish to piss off Surat natives, after all, they are all hired killers with black hearts :)