6,000 Guns And Explosives "missing"

johndpoole

I am baffled by this story that came out and then seemed to die out in the press ; "6,000 Guns And Explosives Stolen From Thai Army Barracks"

I realize there is another thread in the news section but does anybody have any factual updates to this news?

Such as...

Was this a heist that happened during a certain period or could it be an inventory clerical error? How did they discover the weapons missing (did they walk in one morning and find the shelfs empty)?

And more importantly if they were actually stolen and just not misplaced... who do they suppose stole them?

You cannot go to a 7-11 without having your every move recorded. How does one walk away with 6000 guns (have heard assualt rifles) at an army depot without being video taped?

An M16 weighs about 8 pounds but lets assume these unnamed weapons only weighed 5 pounds. Thats is 30,000 pounds (nearly 14k Kilos), not including explosives. I am just having a hard time understanding how this could be a thefts as opposed to a very long term embezzlement of these weapons and more as to why there seems to any follow-up coverage to this story.

On a side note ... whatever happened to the plane full of weapons they confiscated out of the flight from N.Korea. I wonder if these will be reported "stolen" too soon.

So, I'm just curious if anyone has heard any updates or has experience with these kinds of news reports in the past. Hopefully factual (or at least informed) stuff and not just paranoid replies please.

I guess the other question I would have is why the press doesn't seem to be too concerned with gaining facts here? Certainly given the political situation here, I would think people would want to know if local groups may be in possession of these weapons or if they were sold to some other nation or just being used to sell one off to the Thai criminal element. And since they didn't mention the type of explosives ... why is the question not being asked if the recent bombings are the same type of explosives that went "missing"

I guess the other question I would have is why the press doesn't seem to be too concerned with gaining facts here? Certainly given the political situation here, I would think people would want to know if local groups may be in possession of these weapons or if they were sold to some other nation or just being used to sell one off to the Thai criminal element. And since they didn't mention the type of explosives ... why is the question not being asked if the recent bombings are the same type of explosives that went "missing"

Do you know how many guns are out there in Bkk. 6000 is only a drop in the bucket. It is probably just to get attention. These sorts of things always happens and they sell these guns in black market all the time