Alternative Retirement Destinations For Expats (other Than Thailand)

Tejas

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good Day guys,

A retired destination never mentioned: Australia.

I retired there 10 years ago, and I don't regret it a minute. North of the 30th parrallel, the climate is fantastic, pretropical and further north tropical. On Pacific Ocean beach everyday of the year. The country is well organised, education, health system first class. Very clean, nice and tidy. They have a visa especially for retirees, not too difficult to get if you are financially confortable and still healthy. Even the public servants are kind.

I lived in Thailand and there is no comparison. Of course it's more expensive, but if you can afford it, it is much much better than Thailand. And the Government is stable, no corruption or little.

See ya guys.

Good Day guys,

I retired there 10 years ago, and I don't regret it a minute. North of the 30th parrallel, the climate is fantastic, pretropical and further north tropical. On Pacific Ocean beach everyday of the year. The country is well organised, education, health system first class. Very clean, nice and tidy. They have a visa especially for retirees, not too difficult to get if you are financially confortable and still healthy. Even the public servants are kind.

I lived in Thailand and there is no comparison. Of course it's more expensive, but if you can afford it, it is much much better than Thailand. And the Government is stable, no corruption or little.

See ya guys.

Gilou.......thanks for the post..........Australia......interesting. I did not put it on the list because I assumed it was expensive compared the others on the list.

Most expats in Thailand are living on a limited budget........my guess is that it is between US$1000 to US$1800.........not much!

Many came here precisely because Thailand was a good deal (key word is "was") and expat friendly (no more).

I know many Thais that want to leave Thailand and live in Australia.........so, no doubt it is better than living in Thailand on many fronts.

Can low-income people of the type described above live comfortably in Australia?

Miruph......thanks for your post too.........I have never been to Kep (been several times to Sihanoukville). I have to check it out the next time I am in Cambodia. Yes, I am with you on the road.........also airport........things are going to change for the better..........the only question is WHEN?

Good Day guys,

Is it still possible to get a retirement visa in Australia without family or connections already resident there? The consulate's website suggests that this is no longer possible.

I'd suggest Indonesia; anywhere near the coast on the Western side of Java, or perhaps Lombok.

They do have a retirement visa program plus alternatives if you have a local contact / wife / sponsor.

I still have a few years to go, but I plan to spend a few months there this year and travel around a bit.

I also have a friend who retired to Nepal - he's enjoying himself.

Londo

I'd suggest Indonesia; anywhere near the coast on the Western side of Java, or perhaps Lombok.

They do have a retirement visa program plus alternatives if you have a local contact / wife / sponsor.

I still have a few years to go, but I plan to spend a few months there this year and travel around a bit.

I also have a friend who retired to Nepal - he's enjoying himself.

Londo

Thanks..........I have never lived in Nepal (did live in India more than once). I never thought of it as an alternative to Thailand.

Surely it must be beautiful in places and much cooler than Southeast Asia.

Indonesia.....once lived in Bali. But you need money to live there and the visa issues are real (as you stated......helps to have a contact, wife, sponsor).

Bali is, of course, not particularly representative of Indonesia. I do know one expat in Thailand who would happily retire in Indonesia.

Lombok: I was there when all hel_l broke lose........Muslims starting fighting Christians and burning stuff (great scuba diving though).

There must be some nice places to live in Indonesia........I am not sure where.

Remember a lot of the expats in Thailand that I am talking about are spoiled (like me).

They want the malls and Western foods and good health care......etc.

I would be concerned about health in both Indonesia and Nepal (especially Nepal).

One thing that can't be denied: Thailand is good for expats in terms of the health facilities it offers.

In fact, IMHO, Thailand is #1 in terms of health care.

That must keep a lot of elderly expats in Thailand when they would rather move out.

With 1k/2k USD budget i will restart the thread with the best avail choise, Vietnam. Muslim countries are too different to be safe, Philippine is not safe and with too many hurricanes....

Thanks for the post but some of the assumptions I disagree with.

Philippines has a lower murder rate than Thailand..........my guess is that the same can be said for Vietnam and Malaysia.

Certainly, from my own personal experience, the safest country I have ever lived in was dominated by Islam.

Crime is often related to location within the country.

For example, there are places in both Thailand and the Philippines that are safe.........and places that are not safe.

The tropical storms that surge through the Philippines are an issue........but I think mostly if you live on the eastern side (not totally sure here).

I would not be so quick to dismiss Vietnam and the Philippines as possible alternatives.

Good Day guys,

See ya guys.

Good Day Guys,

all what you need is :)

have a minimum assets legally owned and lawfully acquired by yourself, or yourself and your spouse, capable of and available to transfer to Australia of:

A$500,000 if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you intend to live in a regional/low growth area of Australia; OR

A$750,000 if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you do not intend to live in a regional/low growth area of Australia

have a minimum net income stream (for example, pension rights) that can be accessed for yourself or yourself and your spouse of:

A$50,000 annually if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you intend to live in regional/low growth area of Australia

A$65,000 annually if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you do not intend to live in a regional/low growth area of Australia

are able to make a minimum designated investment of:

A$500,000 in your name or your name and your spouse name if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you intend to live in regional/low growth area of Australia

A$750,000 in your name or your name and your spouse name if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you do not intend to live in regional/low growth area of Australia

you must have held all of the assists listed above for 2 years prior to lodging your application, unless the assists are related to superannuation and/or inheritance

have evidence that you, and your spouse if applicable, hold a private health insurance package that meets Australian Department of Health and Ageing (DHA) guidelines during the period of the intended stay in Australia.

oops! i nearly forgot to mention you have to pay Oz taxes... BIG taxes! and if you don't pass the medical check which you have to undergo every two years you are kindly asked to book your flight and go back home and the same applies when they check your finances every two years :D

*any good places?

Dacca, Bangla Desh,

Dhaka...

Drinking again Naam? :)

how did you know? you talked to my wife? :D

Dacca was the former spelling of the city of Dhaka. The change in spelling was officially announced by President Ershad in 1982 [1]. This move was similar in a range of spelling changes of South Asian cities such as Calcutta (now Kolkata), Bombay (now Mumbai) and Madras (now Chennai).

Many companies such as Dacca Dyeing[2], a crown corporation have still retained their old way of spelling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacca

Who knows Naam, maybe we will conclude Thailand is still the best place to be.

My position is this: If given a viable (fun, relaxed, inexpensive) alternative to Thailand, lots of expats would leave. I am certain of this.

Now, you may or may not agree....

i admit that there are expats which would and are able to leave in the blink of an eye after packing their belongings in one or two suitcases and carry their laptops on a shoulder strap. but what about those with family, children going to school, needing a container or two to move their belongings and face perhaps import duties, owning property which is not easy to dispose off?

*any good places?

Duluth, Minnesota,

Unterpfaffenhofen, Bavaria,

Figastretta, Sicily,

Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso,

Cazzoduro, Northern Italy,

Dacca, Bangla Desh,

Tamanrasset, Southern Algeria,

and last not least Vunamami, Papua New Guinea.

Duluth, Minnesota ?? You mean a trip to the iron mines or skinny dipping in Lake Superior? I can't decide Duluth or Dacca? What about Fargo in January?

With 1k/2k USD budget i will restart the thread with the best avail choise, Vietnam. Muslim countries are too different to be safe, Philippine is not safe and with too many hurricanes....

Thanks for the post but some of the assumptions I disagree with.

Philippines has a lower murder rate than Thailand..........my guess is that the same can be said for Vietnam and Malaysia.

Certainly, from my own personal experience, the safest country I have ever lived in was dominated by Islam.

Crime is often related to location within the country.

For example, there are places in both Thailand and the Philippines that are safe.........and places that are not safe.

The tropical storms that surge through the Philippines are an issue........but I think mostly if you live on the eastern side (not totally sure here).

I would not be so quick to dismiss Vietnam and the Philippines as possible alternatives.

I think Vietnam does not allow you to drive yourself there or have your own car. Also not sure if you as a foreigner, are allowed to go anywhere in the country.

Who knows Naam, maybe we will conclude Thailand is still the best place to be.

My position is this: If given a viable (fun, relaxed, inexpensive) alternative to Thailand, lots of expats would leave. I am certain of this.

Now, you may or may not agree....

i admit that there are expats which would and are able to leave in the blink of an eye after packing their belongings in one or two suitcases and carry their laptops on a shoulder strap. but what about those with family, children going to school, needing a container or two to move their belongings and face perhaps import duties, owning property which is not easy to dispose off?

There actually aren't that many countries in the world for retirees that combine Thailand's relatively low cost of living with relatively easy retirement visa options. Australia, definitely not!!!

Some that come to mind --

Argentina

Nicaragua

Ecuador

Mexico

Malaysia

Philippines

Costa Rica

What I do not like about Australia, principally about Victoria, it is a nanny state, bit to right wing for me (not government but mentality of people).

Monday to Friday you could find absolutely no people in the street, hard to find just somewhere to have a quick something to eat! & Friday / Saturday just nearly impossible to walk into a restaurant as they fully booked.

Quality & diversification of food in small to middle towns’ very standard, progress has been made in Melbourne for terroir and farm products, but i find during holidaying with my family difficult to get fresh items & seafood, most get send directly to warehouse and frozen products are sent back.

You cannot get unpasteurised cheese there with the normal channel

A friend of mine was study in Tasmania Hobart for his master, during one of the festival they close the Pier, the direct route between his logging to the Uni, and they want to charge him $10 dollars to pass through. He did have student card but nothing did matter. if he refuse I did have to walk 2 kilometre extra !

It is mainly a safe country, good to have a family.

Many good things about Australia, depends what you looking for.

There actually aren't that many countries in the world for retirees that combine Thailand's relatively low cost of living with relatively easy retirement visa options. Australia, definitely not!!!

Some that come to mind --

Argentina

Nicaragua

Ecuador

Mexico

Malaysia

Philippines

Costa Rica

OK.......thanks for that.......we are expanding alternatives:

New list:

Argentina

Nicaragua

Ecuador

Mexico

Malaysia

Philippines

Costa Rica

Cambodia

Philippines

Vietnam

Can we rank them in terms of three factors:

1) cost of living ( low to high)

2) retirement visa options (easy to difficult)

3) "sanook factor"........fun and relaxed place to be (sanook to not sanook)

Might prove to be productive...........

Forget my last post.........way too difficult.

Maybe we can simply discuss these countries as viable alternatives........would be nice to hear first hand experiences:

Argentina

Nicaragua

Ecuador

Mexico

Malaysia

Philippines

Costa Rica

Cambodia

Philippines

Vietnam

Indonesia

Forget my last post.........way too difficult.

Maybe we can simply discuss these countries as viable alternatives........would be nice to hear first hand experiences:

Argentina

Nicaragua

Ecuador

Mexico

Malaysia

Philippines

Costa Rica

Cambodia

Philippines

Vietnam

Indonesia

South and Central america has some problems with safety....no comparison between the south of Thailand or Mindanao island...I have only been to Dominican republic and I was informed to not exit the resort after 9pm alone, and the guard has changed the daily Beretta with a automatic rifle.

Colombia and Brazil are cheap, that is with 10$ you can have anybody killed.

Ecuador a close friend confirmed to me that they still never dress nice taking bus, they gor robbed ever week and since nobody has money they take shoes, dress, etc and sometimes shoot the driver.

Still anybody wants to go in south america?

I know, it's apity, the language is so easy....

maybe if USA open air traffic tu Cuba that will be anice place...

For now Vietnam is the first on my list for 2011. Question: after 2 weeks in Saigon to look around, where can i go with a beach?

Yes, I am with you on the road.........also airport........things are going to change for the better..........the only question is WHEN?

I'll stay optimistic and say in 2014. If you want to do biz better start now :) Kep at the beach is just 25 km down the river from Kampot where the new road starts.

Question: after 2 weeks in Saigon to look around, where can i go with a beach?

Nha Trang or quiet Mui Ne beach close to Phan Thiet ?

*any good places?

Dacca, Bangla Desh,

Dhaka...

Drinking again Naam? :)

how did you know? you talked to my wife? :D

Dacca was the former spelling of the city of Dhaka. The change in spelling was officially announced by President Ershad in 1982 [1]. This move was similar in a range of spelling changes of South Asian cities such as Calcutta (now Kolkata), Bombay (now Mumbai) and Madras (now Chennai).

Many companies such as Dacca Dyeing[2], a crown corporation have still retained their old way of spelling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacca

Naam,

You are correct about the spelling. With respect to retiring in Dhaka, I used to live in the Gulshan area. I make it a priority to get along where ever I am, but...

The day my employment contract expired, I was boarding the jet at Zia airport :D

Crime is a big problem in Ecuador. Its not that bad in Argentina, obviously depending where you live there.

Argentina (beautiful country)

Nicaragua (massive poverty)

Belize (great lobsters)

Mexico (gorgeous coastline overlooking Pacific)

Malaysia (heard good around Panang........logical retirement visa option)

Philippines (safe and unsafe areas; beautiful beaches; storm problem; most people speak English; easy visa system)

Costa Rica (beautiful; getting expensive)

Cambodia (massive annual GNP growth.......looks like Thailand; friendly people; English spoken widely; more expensive than Thailand; don't want to get sick there; infrastructure improving but long way to go)

Vietnam

Indonesia (visa system is not that easy; Bali expensive; other areas much less expensive; earthquake problem)

Ecuador (too much crime)

As you can see above, I am starting to include my own observations and those of others............I wonder if we can start filling this out in more detail with observations about crime, food, visas, scenary, cost of living, medical system, etc.?

Perhaps we can create a VIABLE EXPAT DESTINATION and NO LONGER VIABLE EXPAT DESTINATION list. Maybe we can start narrowing the list down to a handful of alternatives.........remember, if you have lots of money you can retire anywhere. This is for people who don't have lots of money--pensioners who are having to live off of about US$1000 to 1800 per month:

Let me start (I also suggest we ignore any more silly and useless comments from Naam and is mate):

VIABLE:

Argentina (beautiful country)

Belize (great lobsters)

Mexico (gorgeous coastline overlooking Pacific; safe and unsafe areas)

Philippines (safe and unsafe areas; beautiful beaches; storm problem; most people speak English; easy visa system)

Cambodia (massive annual GNP growth.......looks like Thailand; friendly people; English spoken widely; more expensive than Thailand; don't want to get sick there; infrastructure improving but long way to go)

Vietnam (rapid economic development/growth; long beach front areas)

Indonesia (visa system is not that easy; Bali expensive; other areas much less expensive; earthquake problem)

NO LONGER VIABLE:

Ecuador......why.....too much crime.

After 6 years of happy retirement in Thailand, I have been wondering about Spain as an alternative.

Among the attractions:

• No visa required for a Brit.

• Better infrastructure (one example, usable pavements).

• Easier to learn language.

• Mediterranean diet.

• Good, affordable wine.

• British television (yes, that is an advantage!) broadcast in good quality HD via a, technically illegal, Sky box.

• Reliable Internet.

• Availability of western-style nursing homes (you never know when).

Hopefully, less of a rip-off mentality.

None of the above, including the last comment, is meant as any criticism of Thailand or the Thais who have, overall, been very kind to me but, for me, Spain seems to be a better long-term, affordable solution. One of the very good things here is the serviced accommodation where I have lived for the 6 years, rented from a Thai company which looks to long-term business relationships and which I would try to duplicate in Spain.

These are only early, initial thoughts but I would welcome any comments/advice from others with experience of Spain or other southern European countries. My budget is around USD 5-6000/month.

Jor

Edited by jor
  • Like 1

These are only early, initial thoughts but I would welcome any comments/advice from others with experience of Spain or other southern European countries. My budget is around USD 5-6000/month.

Jor

Is that a typo or do you really live on 5-6K a month ?

Its not that bad in Argentina, obviously depending where you live there
Crime in Argentina went through the roof after the cllapse of 2001..

You may want to peruse this blog ...ferfal.blogspot.com

Sobering stuff..

That was ten years ago. I was there more recently. I felt quite safe, but only stayed in Buenos Aires. I read the baexpats site occasionally; very little complaints about crime. Compare to Mexico City, now that is an unsafe big city. Argentina does not have a bank account method to qualify for a retirement visa; you need a verifiable income/pension and the required amount (not much) must be imported into the country every year (unlike Thailand). If Argentina had a visa system like Thailand, it would be high on my list.

Edited by Jingthing

That was ten years ago. I was there more recently. I felt quite safe, but only stayed in Buenos Aires. I read the baexpats site occasionally; very little complaints about crime. Compare to Mexico City, now that is an unsafe big city. Argentina does not have a bank account method to qualify for a retirement visa; you need a verifiable income/pension and the required amount (not much) must be imported into the country every year (unlike Thailand). If Argentina had a visa system like Thailand, it would be high on my list.

Not sure I get your distinction between the retirement visa system in Argentina and Thailand.

I am here on a marriage visa..........I must show an income (40K per month) from abroad to remain here.

Others on a different long-stay visa system have to show 800K imported each year from abroad.

It all must be verified and come from abroad...........right?

Sounds just like Argentina.

If so, I wonder what the amounts are.

By the way, I lived in Chile......never crossed the border to Argentina but assume it looks similar.

If so, there are beautiful places in Argentina and the beef is legend.

UPDATE

Argentina (beautiful country no doubt; great beef; need to examine retirement visa system to see if it is better than Thailand; not much crime now)

Belize (great lobsters; scuba diving)

Mexico (gorgeous coastline overlooking Pacific)

Vietnam

Ecuador (too much crime)

Naam,

You are correct about the spelling. With respect to retiring in Dhaka, I used to live in the Gulshan area. I make it a priority to get along where ever I am, but... The day my employment contract expired, I was boarding the jet at Zia airport :)

i fully understand. spent three months in the Sonargaon. hated to leave it in the mornings and loved to be back in the evenings.

Is that a typo or do you really live on 5-6K a month ?

I live on a lot less than that in Thailand because my eating/drinking/BG appetite ain't what it used to be but USD 5-6000 is what I can budget to spend if necessary.

Jor

Malta, Uruguay, Lithuania, Argentina, Hungary, Latvia, St Kitts & Nevis, Andorra, Estonia, Costa Rica, Bulgaria, Brazil, Ecuador, Chile, Cayman Islands, Panama, Dominica, Mexico, Grenada, Moldova, Namibia, Mauritius, Botswana, Albania, Bolivia, Paraguay, Macedonia, Belize, Puerto Rico, Honduras, Seychelles, Jamaica, Guatemala, Bosnia, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Armenia, Bhutan, Martinique, El Salvador, Surinam, Malaysia, Tunisia, Tonga, W, Samoa, Belarus, Mongolia, Guyana, Georgia, Peru, Palau, Cuba, Lebanon, Kiribati, Ghana, Lesotho, Jordan, Madagascar, Tuvalu, Zambia, Brunei, Swaziland, Malawi, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Cape Verde, Benin, Comoros, Bahrain, Nepal, Vanuatu, Marshall Islands, Egypt, Kyrgystan

-all the above were rated higher than Thailand in the 2009 Quality of Living survey by International Living Magazine. They also have the same, or lower, cost of living than Thailand, according to the same source.

The Top 12 countries were France, Switzerland, United States, Luxembourg, Australia, Belgium, Italy, Germany, New Zealand, Denmark, Malta, Sweden.

Of the countries mentioned in posts here, the highest ranking country is Uruguay at # 13.