Starting Business / Visa / Work Permit Etc.

hi everybody,

first post here....so please be patient.

will be moving to thailand the next few months to get married and look to start a business.

questions....let's say i open a franchise or bungalows with my wife. am i permitted to work in the business and make a salary? what's the best non-imm visa to have for this situation? do i need a work permit? best to enter thailand on a tourist visa and sort things out further after arrival?

many thanks for any advice on the above or beyond.

Welcome navlen!

Your post suggests that you don't yet know enough about Thailand. You haven't said much about your situation or your wife to be and it's probably best that you don't give away too much on a public forum.

This is my advice. Take your time. Lots of it. Even delay the wedding until you are sure that you know your wife to be, her family, Thailand and, after all that, your feelings about being here. Don't spend money yet. Learn about the land ownership laws.

For most practical purposes you can't work here except as a language teacher. If you hope to work in a business there are many constraints and regulations. Helping your wife out in her business is usually OK if you don't make it too obvious. If you are reported for working illegally it will probably be another farang who reports you.

I know that you believe your wife is different from all the bad women that people talk about. I know you think that because we have nearly all had similar beliefs. In Thailand your money can be spent quickly and you may find yourself out of a home with nothing left.

As they say, up to you.

Click on over to the main site ( Thaivisa.com ) and take a look at the basic. Then take a look at one of the sponsor sites sunbeltasia.com That should give you the basics:) After that you should be able to narrow the scope of your questions down some.

Welcome navlen!

Your post suggests that you don't yet know enough about Thailand. You haven't said much about your situation or your wife to be and it's probably best that you don't give away too much on a public forum.

This is my advice. Take your time. Lots of it. Even delay the wedding until you are sure that you know your wife to be, her family, Thailand and, after all that, your feelings about being here. Don't spend money yet. Learn about the land ownership laws.

For most practical purposes you can't work here except as a language teacher. If you hope to work in a business there are many constraints and regulations. Helping your wife out in her business is usually OK if you don't make it too obvious. If you are reported for working illegally it will probably be another farang who reports you.

I know that you believe your wife is different from all the bad women that people talk about. I know you think that because we have nearly all had similar beliefs. In Thailand your money can be spent quickly and you may find yourself out of a home with nothing left.

Normally, in order to get a work permit, you need to work for a registered limited company. But I have been told by a lawyer, that if you are legally married to a Thai citizen, and he/she runs a business (sole proprietorship), and her business name is registered he/she can apply for a work permit for the foreign spouse to work in her/his business.

thanks everyone.

yes, i didn't provide any interesting details. regarding marriage, it won't be legal....at least for a while. she's muslim and we've been 'hanging out' together for far too many years. it's a tight community and i've put it off too long.

i've taught esl in the past so that is an option....but only very short term....it's not what i'm here for.

plan to arrive in thai, look around for any opportunities and if nothing pops up, or if the environment is too unfriendly/complicated, then i'll move on to another country to work.

i agree, questions are too broad. i've briefly looked into it over the years but the answers are always changing. will browse a little on my own.

thanks again for the concern and advice.

You can obtain a work permit if your work is specifically related to your country of origin.

For example, if you are a cook from France, and if you find a company applying for your work permit, it can be granted for cooking French food and for teaching French cooking.

You can obtain a work permit if your work is specifically related to your country of origin.

For example, if you are a cook from France, and if you find a company applying for your work permit, it can be granted for cooking French food and for teaching French cooking.

hmm....so generally, it would be difficult to fulfill the b40,000 monthly income if you owned a business in thailand because obtaining a work permit for a specialized occupation can not be justified. is that correct?

in the past, b40k could be divided between you and your wife/husband....not anymore. what is the best way around this problem if you rely on thai income?....apart from teaching english or b400k stuck in a bank.

Hi Navien.

You will get advise from many people who think they know it all. You will also get advise from people who have bad experience here and will be

very negative. I have a business here for 4 years and it is not as hard as you might think. Do the right thing, don't do anything dodgy and you will be fine. My advise is when you get here go to see someone like Sunbelt Asia and they will give you the right information. By the way, I am only a client of Sunbelt.

Good luck.