90 Day Report

I'm on retirement visa and have 2 questions about 90-day report:

1. Is it counting exactly 90 days or 3 month from the issuing date? (...if 90 days, I got 2 extra days, because February had 28 days)

2. What is the fine for each day late reporting?

Heli

Lite Beer,

Just a curiosity / jargon question here since the OP's 90 day reporting question has been answered.

When a person enters Thailand on a Retirement OA Visa (single or multiple entry) is that person technically on an Extension of Stay upon that entry. Or, is it he's on an Extension of Stay once he applies / get approved to extend his stay in Thailand because the Retirement OA Visa has expired (i.e., submits extension of stay paperwork, proof of income, etc.). Basically, at what magical point in time does a visa stop becoming/be called a visa and instead called an extension of stay. Cheers and Thanks.

1. The 90 day clock starts at day 1 on entry - not on issue. Each return to Thailand starts a new 90 day cycle; as does each report.

2. A visa is for entry and is used when you get your permitted to stay stamp - in the case of the OA visa (it is special) your visa entry is combined with an extension of stay to permit one year in Thailand. Most would call this a one year permitted to stay stamp (it is never a visa) and when you actually extend it at Immigration start calling it a one year extension of stay.

3. In the case of a multi entry OA visa you can continue to do this entry/permitted to stay one year routine as much as you want until the visa expires. At that point all you can do is keep the last permitted to stay alive using re-entry permits.

4. Simple thinking is you arrive on a visa but stay on a permitted to stay, or extension of such a permitted to stay, stamp.

That is correct if you report by yourself/someone reports for you. Most immigration offices do however now accept 90 day reporting by post. If using that option the 90 day report must arrive at the immigration office by day 90 latest (ie, there is no +7 day window).

It is 90 days.

There is a window of 7 days either side of the reporting date.

If you are late the fine is 2,000 Baht.

So, I understand if reporting after 97 days, i have to pay the fine.

Thanks and cheers

You won't be in any small group of people. When I did my 90 day report last Tuesday at Chaeng Wattana/Bangkok I would estimate 10% of the people accomplishing their 90 day report had to pay a 2,000 Baht fine before they could complete processing their 90 day report (I wasn't one of them :) ). It's pretty easy to spot the people who have to pay a fine because in the 90 day reporting room you can easily overhear the discussion between the person and immigration officer at the counter where the person is told to go pay the fine at the cashier and then come back to finish processing the 90 day report with a fine payment receipt attached to their TM47. Or, the officer would actually come out from behind the counter with several TM47's in hand, call the names of several people, and basically say follow me to go pay the late reporting fine....then about 5-10 minutes later come back with receipts attached to the reports. This slowed down reporting for everyone else as immigration was processing reports in queue number sequence regardless of being late or not. Total reporting time for me was approx 1 hr 30 min when entering their office at 1pm immediately after they reopened from the lunch break...in at 1pm and out the door at approx 2:30pm.

Here's a stupid question.

I'm due to make a 90 day report at Chaeng Wattana before Thursday. No time left to report by post.

By taxi, I ususally take the toll road from Sukhumvit.

Any idea if the protests have

A ) Caused any disruptons at Chaeng Wattana

B ) Caused traffic messes making it difficult to get there.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Twin

You have a window of 7 days to report. If Chaeng Watana is closed they will take that into consideration.

After having my 90 day report rejected last week at the one stop office in Chamchuri Tower, i took a taxi today at 1:15 from Sukhumvit Soi 6 out to Chaeng Wattana.

No traffic on the tollroad and when I arrived, the driver asked if I wanted him to wait, as he wanted to be back on Sukhumvit.

Perfect.

Walked in and got a queue number only 20 above the number being served. The wait to be called was exactly 15 minutes.

Since my last arrival stamp was dated 14 December, I was now on day 96, and I held my breath as I smiled and said hello to the girl behind the counter. She could not have been any nicer, with a big smile, and a "How are you today" in English.

She looked at my paperwork and said, "No problems for you". I asked how long it would take to get the receipt, as I wanted to let the taxi driver know how much longer it would be, and she said 10 minutes.

I walked out and told the driver, then headed back into the 90 day room. The girl saw me, pointed a finger at me and beckoned me back to the window. She said, "You have big problem". My heart sunk.

Then she said, "You forgot to sign the form!" and broke into a big grin. I said "How much will that cost" and, still smiling, she replied "Ten million baht!"

I signed the form, and we both laughed as she handed me the receipt.

The taxi driver dropped me back on Sukhimvit at exactly 2:45.

90 minutes out and back.

The cab fare may be a bit more, but I'll take Chaeng Wattana over Suan Phlu any day of the week.