Thai Parliament Postpones Session Over Safety Fears

george

Thai parliament postpones session over safety fears

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's parliament postponed its session Tuesday due to the lack of a quorum, after lawmakers said they feared for their safety in light of anti-government demonstrations, a house speaker said.

Tens of thousands of "Red Shirt" protesters, who back fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, have gathered near government buildings in Bangkok since the weekend to demand immediate elections, amid tight security.

For a joint parliamentary session of the upper and lower houses to proceed, more than half of the 625 senators and MPs must attend, but only 100 turned up on Tuesday, said speaker Chai Chidchob.

"I have asked parliament for a postponement," Chai told AFP, adding that a new joint sitting would be announced at a later date.

Government whip Witthaya Keawparadai said the coalition parties had agreed to suspend the day's session due to safety concerns related to the protests.

On Tuesday the rallying Red Shirts began donating small amounts of their blood as part of a mass collection that would later be thrown at Government House in an extraordinary show of their determination.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, top ministers and military brass have run a security operation for the rally from an army barracks in the northern outskirts of the city, where protesters massed on Monday before returning to their rally site.

The premier has resisted demands that he stand down and authorities have invoked a tough security law under which 50,000 personnel have been deployed in Bangkok and surrounding areas to control the protests.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-16

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

what a convenient way of prolonging their cushy jobs - just not turning up for the parliamentary session.

they treat their electorate as a naive mass which is able only to elect them, but not to revoke their mandate to represent them - a very undemocratic and selfish behaviour.

for me it means, that financial negotiations how much money is going to be payed to each individual parliamentarian to change their seat are still carried on and MP are waiting for a higher bidder to come forward.

the last time, over a year ago, it was up to 50mln baht. How much do they expect this time?

Edited by londonthai

what a convenient way of prolonging their cushy jobs - just not turning up for the parliamentary session.

they treat their electorate as a naive mass which is able only to elect them, but not to revoke their mandate to represent them - a very undemocratic and selfish behaviour.

for me it means, that financial negotiations how much money is going to be payed to each individual parliamentarian to change their seat are still carried on and MP are waiting for a higher bidder to come forward.

the last time, over a year ago, it was up to 50mln baht. How much do they expect this time?

Precisely , dead right on target ...

http://bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/345...s...intelligent man is Khun Voranai and certainly worth a read....Dukkha

Show up to work, cowards.

Perhaps you should do some real analysis and try to figure out what this actually means rather then making some remark that has no meaning.

:)

TH

It means, Thailand has no urgent issue to attend too or no need to govern. So let’s all have a beer and go to the beach :D

http://bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/345...s...intelligent man is Khun Voranai and certainly worth a read....Dukkha

Yes i did read it and it is an excellent article . I think the solution might be to change the thai constitution to have the thai PM elected DIRECTLY by the people of THailand for a limited period in time and with abuse safeguards as it is done in most other democracies . It would assert the PM moral authority and make the country much more politically stable , prevent machinations and bribes in the parliament , and make the PM accountable to the people much more then now . I dont know if i am right , I am not thai , but it sounds like the logical choice .

Of course in such a PM popularly elected by all the thai ppl scheme , the parliament would retain legislative powers , that means the power to decide the laws . Mixing executive and legislative power as now may not be a good idea . I am not advocating dictatorship , i am advocating stable responsible democracy

:) I have been emailing with Khun Voranai for some time now, told me he had been at BKK POST for a few months stirring things up, for a Texax high school educated thai, he mentioned how it was amazing it was he could string a sentence together, well he has certainly shown he writes with excellence, insight and professionalism,what a refreshing approach to the thai media....have been fan club number one for some time.....of course there will be some who loathe him but he speaks the truth in my umble opinion Dukkha :D

:) I have been emailing with Khun Voranai for some time now, told me he had been at BKK POST for a few months stirring things up, for a Texax high school educated thai, he mentioned how it was amazing it was he could string a sentence together, well he has certainly shown he writes with excellence, insight and professionalism,what a refreshing approach to the thai media....have been fan club number one for some time.....of course there will be some who loathe him but he speaks the truth in my umble opinion Dukkha :D

Indeed Khun Voranai is a very intelligent person and has a very good judgement . In fact i have sent the link to his excellent articles in other forums

The real issue is that the Democrats suspected Speaker Chai Chidchob's thinly veiled attempt to bring the draft constitution for consideration by both Senators and MP's. Why would both houses need to be convened together, if not to consider major agenda like draft constitution. This draft was put forth by Dr. Weng Tochirakarn to basically absolve Taksin of all the crimes, by ruling that everything none and void from the time of the coup to depose Taksin up to now. FYI, Dr. Weng is a regular fixture at Red Shirt rallies. The Democrats' suspicion is further confirmed today by Speaker Chai's calling for Abisit to call a new election. This is rather out of line for a house speaker that should play a more neutral role, I think. A week also ago, he also said in an interview that Newin his son might embrace Taksin once again (after being branded a traitor by Pue Thai/Thai Rak Thai members for jumping ship). His true color is becoming more evident by the day.

General laziness as well as bi-partisan politics are also factors, but not for today's failure to get a quorum.

:rolleyes: I have been emailing with Khun Voranai for some time now, told me he had been at BKK POST for a few months stirring things up, for a Texax high school educated thai, he mentioned how it was amazing it was he could string a sentence together, well he has certainly shown he writes with excellence, insight and professionalism,what a refreshing approach to the thai media....have been fan club number one for some time.....of course there will be some who loathe him but he speaks the truth in my umble opinion Dukkha :o

Indeed Khun Voranai is a very intelligent person and has a very good judgement . In fact i have sent the link to his excellent articles in other forums

errhm.

the article, the link brought me to, was indeed a nice read and thanks for the recommendation.

but it wasn't written by editor boi Voranai. this guy, Voranai, plays in in a different league, is pretty much pure yellow and like make up 'facts' so that it fits his propaganda and rhetoric. don't expect a balanced view from him.

The real issue is that the Democrats suspected ...

so you mean the Dems suspected that maybe someone start a debate or submit some issue for parliamentary approval, acclamation. and there is the possibility that the Dems will not have the majority for getting their take on that issue approved but rather the opposite side so the Demss decided to boycott the whole thing with not showing up.

and because it spoils the concept of the secret ballot voting process if only one side shows up even more MPs didn't came.

how legit is that?

so you mean the Dems suspected that maybe someone start a debate or submit some issue for parliamentary approval, acclamation. and there is the possibility that the Dems will not have the majority for getting their take on that issue approved but rather the opposite side so the Demss decided to boycott the whole thing with not showing up.

and because it spoils the concept of the secret ballot voting process if only one side shows up even more MPs didn't came.

Um, no, not really. Newin is about to switch sides, which means the government will fall. Newin needs to swtich sides because if he doesn't then he and his friends have a snowball's chance in hel_l of getting re-elected.

Issues have nothing to do with it; he's just looking for a reason to switch. The protests so far don't seem to have provided any traction though but I'm sure he'll think of something. :)

Um, no, not really. Newin is about to switch sides, which means the government will fall. Newin needs to swtich sides because if he doesn't then he and his friends have a snowball's chance in hel_l of getting re-elected.

Issues have nothing to do with it; he's just looking for a reason to switch. The protests so far don't seem to have provided any traction though but I'm sure he'll think of something. :)

Could be why Newin is currently in London?

Issues have nothing to do with it; he's just looking for a reason to switch. The protests so far don't seem to have provided any traction though but I'm sure he'll think of something. :rolleyes:

that what i mean with the issue. coalition reshuffle.

the Chidchob team switching sides since ever, it wasn't the first time that they hang out with the dems and it wasn't the first time that they drop somebody. as a small party you can always hope that some big team needs you as coalition partner, even if they don't like you.

but when nobody shows up at the parliament it will be difficult to change the current coalition.

in a full house secret ballot voting MPs who wanna switch sides can hide and are not under the whip or group pressure by their party. that is not mean by these switchers, it is their right and that happen in parliaments. it is normal.

if only the pro or only the contra team lines up at the ballot, the vote isn't secret anymore. indecisive "switchers" can't testing the water before jumping inside head first .

anyway, i will miss Abhisit, Korn and Kasit. always good for a laugh. they get seldom attention here on this board, everybody just talking about the reds, the reds, the reds and Thaksin + family. whereas Abhisit delivers good entertainment too, perfect fail team to mock about, but in opposition The Nation don't need them anymore to provide some reason to print a new Thaksin story.

Cancelling the session removed a possible target from the red demonstrators to aim at.

Quite logical.

Now that Thaksin's troops are in disarray, attempts to change the constitution etc which have as their sole purpose that of pardoning Thaksin will fail even more miserably.

Watch carefully the remnants of the Thaksin apologists wittering on and on.

For them it is still all about 'liberating' Thaksin. Ignore the wrappings.

Poor things.

Newin will not have an real issue getting his men re-elected as they seem to have their constituencies in a fairly tight grip. So I don't agree in your analysis that a switch in any way is needed by him to survive. They where not elected due to their policies. However he might again deem that they can pork-barrel themselves richer by again switching in time for budget negotiations...or atleast threatening about it.

Newin will not have an real issue getting his men re-elected as they seem to have their constituencies in a fairly tight grip. So I don't agree in your analysis that a switch in any way is needed by him to survive. They where not elected due to their policies. However he might again deem that they can pork-barrel themselves richer by again switching in time for budget negotiations...or atleast threatening about it.

Good analysis. Newin (who is banned from politics, can you tell?) will have no trouble getting MP's elected he can control.

MP's are rarely elected based on policies. They are elected first based on surname or surname of wife and second on how much pork barrel they were able to bring into the district.

TH

Good analysis. Newin (who is banned from politics, can you tell?) will have no trouble getting MP's elected he can control.

MP's are rarely elected based on policies. They are elected first based on surname or surname of wife and second on how much pork barrel they were able to bring into the district.

TH

did you read the Post article that got recommended above. the author puts the Thai Mp's into different categories, one are "the entrepreneurial gangsters, who enter Parliament with the sole purpose of feathering their own nests and are usually very influential provincial figureheads. These guys are generally very smart but have decided to use their God-given talent to pursue ungodly gains. You'll be able to find many of these characters in the Puea Thai and Bhumjaithai parties and they are not difficult to spot - just look for the oversized shades and distasteful Versace neckties."

perfect description. i think the 3 of us can agree with it. that is the faction about we are talking here. i hope the quoted bits whet your appetite if you didn't read the article yet, you will miss something that is enjoyable to read.

team Newin, the small group that is so powerful because they can change the constellation. in coalition governments with a very big partner and a small partner that brings finally the small narrow majority, the small partner can more demand and have more influence than their proportional electorate represents. in opposition they are nobody, in a coalition they become the boy who owns the football and will go home if you don't let him win.

but the question is not only if team Newin got re-elected in their constituencies (a look at the past by-election could help for an analysis) but it is also the question if they are still needed after a new election as the party thats tip the scales. if there is a clear winner they depend on the kindness of the winner to get invited to the buffet and became part of a coalition government.

anyway, i want to add one source that did some speculation about what could happen on the this session, that didn't happen because MP didn't show up. but it is just a postponement, the suspense is still there.

Thanong Khanthong, editor of a newspaper called The Nation, blogged some prediction

Newin stabs Abhisit at the back / Chai is preparing a guillotine for Abhisit

http://blog.nationmultimedia.com/thanong/2010/03/14/entry-1

sorry for using dramatic bold, but i would like to hear some inputs here by the experts and the "experts" too. that is obviously not Thaksin apologist propaganda, but still Thanong and The Nation, respected by some. i am surprise that this thoughts don't get much debated here. (or i missed it because i don't follow every of these many blood threads).

Agreed, and if he refills the role of king maker or final piece of a PTP coalition,

then he will return as the thorn in the lions paw.

Just a much more stupid lion in this scenario.

To make it clear, I don't think - have not seen it yet - anyone here is defending or supporting Newin.

Some just have pointed out that when he was supporting Thaksin (TRT, PPP etc) then no-one of the Red fans mentioned his name, but when he switched camp suddenly some posters was very upset with Abhisit for dealing with such a 'crook'.

But I think we can all agree on that Thailand would be better off without him involved in politics.

Edited by TAWP

The real issue is that the Democrats suspected Speaker Chai Chidchob's thinly veiled attempt to bring the draft constitution for consideration by both Senators and MP's. Why would both houses need to be convened together, if not to consider major agenda like draft constitution.

The fact remains, that in the next few days, The Democrats are going to be begging Chai to hold a Joint Sitting of Parliament.

If they fail, then at the ASEAN meeting next week, Thailand will remain the only country who has not signed the Chiang Mai Initiative Multilateralisation Agreement (CMIM), even after giving its word that it would do so.

Whether they get there request, will be totally up to Chai. He has technically already given the Government an allocation of time for this bill, but they boycotted the session...

House convenes meeting Thursday morning

The House convened its weekly meeting Thursday morning after several meeting earlier this week were cancelled on security concerns.

House Speaker Chai Chidchob officially started the meeting at 9:17 am after 123 MPs reported to work.

Democrat Party chief advisor Chuan Leekpai led other Democrat MPs to attend the meeting.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 18 March, 2010

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Well, at least they're still meeting!

Edited by Meridian007