Pattaya Looked Busy

samuibeachcomber

recently spent four days in pattaya towards the end of february and boy was it busy with people,from soi bukhow market to the avenues market,beach road and walking street,people everywhere.Am not saying bars and restuarants too as it was mainly a clothes shopping trip at the markets and everything half price compared to samui.In fact coming from samui it was hard to adjust to all the people particularly when riding the scooter i had hired,felt positively threatened by so much traffic.

Stayed at the new building in areca lodge in soi diana,its called the evergreen building.The rooms are very nice,more expensive than the rooms in the first two buildings,tastefully furnished,the building has a coffee shop/bar where they serve breakfast and fronts onto the back swimming pool,staff very curteous and friendly,had a really good stay.

Visited the blues factory off walking street to listen to a pink floyd cover band and they were superb.Place was busy but not packed.no cover charge and drinks very reasonably priced.It was a fund raising night,not sure how successful that was,but the music was oh so good.Anyway thought i'd share a positive spin of pattaya,as it often gets knocked.

Yes, Pattaya is rather busy, although if you removed all the Russians the place would be rather dead.

NB. Be careful when saying positive things about Pattaya - it will make the Pattaya bashers crawl out from the bridges they have been hiding under! :)

It would appear that only Pattaya scumbags residents are allowed to post favourable reviews of their chosen bridge underpass paradise.

In the meantime for the benefit of the speed readers, the OP was talking about end of Feb. What he saw was the Makha Bucha Day weekend where the 28th Feb was a 'holiday' with 1st March as the alternate 'holiday' and the reason why the place was heaving... pretty much like any other local holiday sh!thole destination.

But very happy that the OP had a nice time here. It's never as bad as it's made out to be.

Edited by NanLaew

It would appear that only Pattaya scumbags residents are allowed to post favourable reviews of their chosen bridge underpass paradise.

In the meantime for the benefit of the speed readers, the OP was talking about end of Feb. What he saw was the Makha Bucha Day weekend where the 28th Feb was a 'holiday' with 1st March as the alternate 'holiday' and the reason why the place was heaving... pretty much like any other local holiday sh!thole destination.

But very happy that the OP had a nice time here. It's never as bad as it's made out to be.

Puffed up peter puffing psychologically perturbed pomposity, the pretentious Pattaya prejudiced pufta pretender.

Must surely get the Thai Visa Prize awarded for an astounding attempt at an ambitiously alliteratively altenative way of expressing yourself.

Puffed up peter puffing psychologically perturbed pomposity, the pretentious Pattaya prejudiced pufta pretender.

HUH?

I find Pattaya quite quiet at the moment (though it will probably be pretty crowded this weekend for the Pattaya Music Festival). I do agree that up through February it seemed businesses were doing a good trade (but nothing like 4-5 years ago). However, things seem to have fallen off the cliff since the start of March...restaurants, stores, and bars are fairly quiet...and don't forget, the high-season used to last through Songkran in mid-April. Now it seems it's only the months of December and January, with some spill-over into February and that's pretty much it.

I also agree with the poster who said that without the Russians, the place would be pretty much a ghost town as far as tourists are concerned

Edited by FarangBuddha

It is always interesting to hear from a first timers impression of a morgue. :)

those living in the sticks or Thailand's various wilderness have always an refreshing opinion whilst the saliva is dripping out of their mouths when they hear P A T T A Y A :D

Pattaya would be empty for sure without the Russian couples everywhere. Was sitting outside on top floor of royal garden and there was just groups of Korean and Chineese tourists slurping on there noodles, elsewhere just Russian couples window shopping....

it would appear that envious scumbags open their big mouths...

However, things seem to have fallen off the cliff since the start of March...restaurants, stores, and bars are fairly quiet...and don't forget, the high-season used to last through Songkran in mid-April. Now it seems it's only the months of December and January, with some spill-over into February and that's pretty much it.

This has always been true, however, even more so now because of the financial downturn.

What has always been true...that high-season only lasts from December thru February?

I recall many moons ago that Pattaya (and other Thai beach resort towns) being busy up thru Songkran (mid-April). This basically coincided with the Winter season in Europe. I guess now, with their weaker currencies and the financial meltdown, the European snow-birds are only migrating as far south as Spain, Greece, and Turkey to wait out the cold.

However, things seem to have fallen off the cliff since the start of March...restaurants, stores, and bars are fairly quiet...and don't forget, the high-season used to last through Songkran in mid-April. Now it seems it's only the months of December and January, with some spill-over into February and that's pretty much it.

This has always been true, however, even more so now because of the financial downturn.

Edited by FarangBuddha

I know that Pattaya is in a financial downturn, because when my wife called to make reservations for next week, the young lady she always speaks with asked why you don't come this weekend for the music festival. Usually we have to make reservations well in advance as all the inexpensive hotels are always booked.

Barry

It has been my experience that when hot season came around, tourism always dropped considerably - although it was still better than low season - and after Songkran, low season would start officially.

It is certainly true in Chiang Mai, but I could always get a break from high season rates in Pattaya Hotels starting in March and it was a lot easier to get a decent hotel for a reasonable price than in December or January.

Thank you for Russians who make Pattaya fulled of people. As long as westerners are suffered with their economic head down, there are many chineses , Indians , Russians , other asians. YOu can notice about new luxuary perperties where were created such as Central shopping Mall, Centara grand , The Avenue ,etc ,then, there is no doubt to saying that Pattaya is going to change more and more.

I have lived here (North Pattaya) for over 5 years and think March is busier than it has been compared to 2-3-or 4 years ago. This is because of all the Russian families (not just single men) and more "bus tours" (Koreans and Chinese zooming around in their coccoon on wheels). Before, March had less people because the "snowbirds" would be going back to Europe.

Question: Does anyone know how many flights from Russian land at Utapou (sp!) / or how many enter Thailand a day??? --Seems like thousands. I swear 80% of the tourists are Russian in Pattaya. (not this way only 5 years ago)

Pattaya is a resort town.

Not really sure why the nationality of the tourist is at all of relevance. Black, brown, pink or green, if they come and keep my favourite bars and restaurants open............welcome.

I agree...the Russians are welcome by most people...I don't think anyone is complaing about them...just making an interesting observation about this new demographic fact.

Not really sure why the nationality of the tourist is at all of relevance. Black, brown, pink or green, if they come and keep my favourite bars and restaurants open............welcome.

I agree...the Russians are welcome by most people...I don't think anyone is complaing about them...just making an interesting observation about this new demographic fact.

Do you really think Russians are welcomed by most? I believe they are the most unwelcomed tourist?? I often hear complaints about them and to be honest, I dont like to have too many of them around when on holidays.

Do you really think Russians are welcomed by most? I believe they are the most unwelcomed tourist?? I often hear complaints about them and to be honest, I dont like to have too many of them around when on holidays.

Mate, if you own a beachfront bar or restaurant, you'd probably welcome a Martian :)

Mate, if you own a beachfront bar or restaurant, you'd probably welcome a Martian :)

There's already quite a few from Uranus.

Yes Pattaya is still busy, all the good venues are doing a roaring trade and a couple of Teachers I know from BKK are lapping up the problems in BKK as they have been given leave from work so are taking advantage of that by coming to Pattaya.

I have noticed the traffic on Suk is pretty heavy, especially on weekends. Most plates are from Bangkok. My friend who visited here this week says his Thai friends in BKK love to visit Pattaya. They don't complain about it like the farangs do. Guess they are use to all the craziness????

I have also noticed a lot of red tagged cars. The locals here seem to be doing OK?