Thais In Uk

IvanLaw

Hi People

HELP PLEASE !! :o

My Thai Wife has her Visa Interview 9th August and will (All Being Well), Be flying to UK to be with me shortly after :D

Just wondered if there are any Thai’s living in the Boston Area??

Some one for her to talk to would be great as I am sure she will be home sick,

She can speak reasonable English and we will look for Additional lessons when she arrives.

Thank you all in anticipation

Regards

Ivan

Don't know Boston that well but was in Ely and Cambridge last year and met lots of Thai's there. Also remember seeing a Thai restaurant or two in Spalding. Am sure Boston is big enough to have at least one or two Thai's. As for English classes, you'd be best sending her to a language school as it's the quickest and easiest wsy to make friends.

Always good for a start... :D

Thai Imperial: Red Lion Street, Boston Tel: 01205 311575

I took K.wife to our local pub/Thai rest a couple of days after she first hit Blighty a couple or 4 years ago and they gave her a job there. :D

She is now doing yet another English/business studies course (via Job centre plus)and recons she wants to go to Uni... :o ...they are born survivors... :D

Fw1 & Rinrada, Thank you for your replies. :D

Rinrada I will try and find Thai Imperial this weekend :o

Once again Thanks for your time and help, much appreciated.

Any one else with advice please???

Regards & Chookdii

Ivan

Always good for a start... :D

Thai Imperial: Red Lion Street, Boston Tel: 01205 311575

I took K.wife to our local pub/Thai rest a couple of days after she first hit Blighty  a couple or 4 years ago and they gave her a job there. :D

She is now doing yet another English/business studies course (via Job centre plus)and recons she wants to go to Uni... :o ...they are born survivors... :D

Hi Rinrada

Just back from trying to find the "Thai Imperial", Unfotunatly it closed last year !!! :D

Thanks for trying.

Now back to square One,

Open to futher sugestions please :D

Ivan

Nearly 250 views but only 2 reply’s :D

HELP :D

I have even placed and advertisement in local paper & on college notice board but no response, well only one and he wanted info on Thailand so now maybe another new member to TV :o

I am sure there are Thais living locally please, please, reply :D

Nearly 250 views but only 2 reply’s  :D

I have even placed and advertisement in local paper & on college notice board but no response, well only one and he wanted info on Thailand so now maybe another new member to TV :o

I am sure there are Thais living locally  please,  please,    reply :D

Hi IvanLaw,

Keep us informed on how your wife does in the interview. Mine is still waiting a date for hers and we submitted the application 4 weeks ago. How long did you have to wait?

As for your question. There is a Thai lady that cleans at my office who only started a couple of weeks ago. I asked her a few questions along the lines that you are wondering i.e. she'll be lonely etc. Someone mentioned earlier that they are survivors and i'd say that is true from my talks with the cleaner. The most important thing to her was to be able to get hold of spices and Thai food. If i was you i would tell your wife to bring essential spices and the likes with her when (hopefully) she comes and in the meantime you try and locate some supermarkets that you can buy the ingredients. In Manchester we are lucky to have 2 massive supermarkets, Wing Yip and Chai Yip that are predominantly Chinese but stock everything that Thai's need. I think if at least she doesn't miss the food, the meeting people and making new friends will follow. Additionally, someone on this site give me the number of a phone company that only charges 1p per minute to call Thailand. At that price you can let her call home all day if she likes.

Good luck

Mr BJ

Hi IvanLaw,

Keep us informed on how your wife does in the interview. Mine is still waiting a date for hers and we submitted the application 4 weeks ago. How long did you have to wait?

As for your question. There is a Thai lady that cleans at my office who only started a couple of weeks ago. I asked her a few questions along the lines that you are wondering i.e. she'll be lonely etc. Someone mentioned earlier that they are survivors and i'd say that is true from my talks with the cleaner. The most important thing to her was to be able to get hold of spices and Thai food. If i was you i would tell your wife to bring essential spices and the likes with her when (hopefully) she comes and in the meantime you try and locate some supermarkets that you can buy the ingredients. In Manchester we are lucky to have 2 massive supermarkets, Wing Yip and Chai Yip that are predominantly Chinese but stock everything that Thai's need. I think if at least she doesn't miss the food, the meeting people and making new friends will follow. Additionally, someone on this site give me the number of a phone company that only charges 1p per minute to call Thailand. At that price you can let her call home all day if she likes.

Good luck

Mr BJ

Hi BJ and Thanks for the advice

We Married in Thailand 14 April (Buddhist Ceremony), Registered at Ampo 21 April and Submitted actual Visa Application 25 April. Told that Oi (My Wife) would be sent a letter stating Interview date within 10 days. :D

I returned home to England 30th April :D

Oi Telephoned Embassy 9th May and was told, Letter sent to wrong address but Interview date 9th August. :o

I have sent document “Up Dates”, for her Interview,

Copies of Bank Statements, Phone Bill, E-Mails etc

Now just waiting with fingers crossed &trying to be Patient. :D

Fortunately my Work is related to Imported food, Thailand being one location. :D

Unfortunaly no luck locating Thais in immediate area but I am sure once Oi is here she will find :D

Once more thank you for your Input and GOOD LUCK with Visa :D

Regards

Ivan

PS

Forgot to mention

Oi has my Bank Account in Thailand ready for Ticket etc and Gives me a Wake Up call every morning at 10.00 :D

Edited by IvanLaw

Ivan ...Dont give up 2 soon ...all part of the fun :D

anyway may have found another T R in Boston.....bit of a backwater ...innit..

so...

Monsuda Thai Restaurant :D

20, West Street

Boston

Lincolnshire

PE21 8QH

Tel: (01205) 355671

...obviously not Thai but assume can get a plate of ba-mee... :o

Bejing Buffet

43-44, Market Place

Boston

Lincolnshire

PE21 6NF

Tel: (01205) 366882

Dragon Garden Chinese Restaurant

18, Liquorpond Street

Boston

Lincolnshire

PE21 8UF

Tel: (01205) 363663

and in Lincoln

Big Wok

Todson House

Beaumont Fee

Lincoln

Lincolnshire

LN1 1EY

Tel: (01522) 513818

Thailand No.1

80-81, Bailgate

Lincoln

Lincolnshire

LN1 3AR

Tel: (01522) 537000

as said not quite Suk Road ....what the heck..... :D

Thanks for your Help Rinrada

MUCH APPRECIATED :D

I can recommend the Big Wock in Lincoln, not true Thai food but very near

There is also one in Grantham had a meal there 4 weeks ago with Family,

Sorry can not remember the name but it is near to the road leading out of Grantham towards the Baracks!! :D

Now to work :o

Once more thank you

Regards

Ivan

:D

Edited by IvanLaw

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried different methods to contact Thais living in Boston Area.

Advert in local newspaper, Message on College Notice Board etc etc

All to no avail. :D

When Oi arrives we will see about College courses for her and I hope there will be others from her home country. :D

My Grateful Thanks to all who have tried to help :o

Regards

Ivan

Guest endure

There's a big Thai community in Nottingham. There are 4 or 5 restaurants and a lot of Thai students doing Masters/PhD studies at Nottingham University.

There's a big Thai community in Nottingham. There are 4 or 5 restaurants and a lot of Thai students doing Masters/PhD studies at Nottingham University.

Thanks for the reply Endure. :D

I’m not sure if you are familiar with Lincolnshire Area but Nottingham is about 50 miles, from Boston :o

I had hoped to find someone of Thai Nationality actually living in Boston

that Oi could talk to.

I am sure she will be OK but taking in Thai would be a lot easier for her.

Never mind, something will turn up.

Once again thank you for the thought

Regards

Ivan

If she were coming to Boston, USA there are certainly plenty of thais here. :o Thanks for squaring my egocentricism with the new found knowledge that there is a boston beyond the u.s. and of course it should be in england!

If she were coming to Boston, USA there are certainly plenty of thais here.  :D  Thanks for squaring my egocentricism with the new found knowledge that there is a boston beyond the u.s. and of course it should be in england!

If She where going to Boston US I WOULD BE VERY WORRRIED, :D

Long way from the original Boston and me :o

Boston UK is on the East Coast of Lincolnshire.

This is where the Pilgrim Father’s set sail to the “New Land”,

How are things in Boston US since we left you on your own? :D

Only Joking :D Good to hear from you

Regards

Ivan

Just back from trying to find the "Thai Imperial", Unfotunatly it closed last year !!! :D

Now back to square One,

Open to futher sugestions please :D

Ivan

Check out:

Monsuda Thai Restaurant: 20 West Street, Boston Tel: 01205 355671

Richard.

Thanks for the reply Richard,

I will try and locate the Restaurant when time permits, very busy with work :D

Still keeps me busy and stops me thinking too much about Oi and her Visa Interview :o

Regards

Ivan

Hi IvanLaw,

Just sent you a PM.

As well as the "Big Wok" And "Thailand Number One" in Lincoln, there's "Thai One On" near Brayford Pool and the "Chiang Mai" takeaway on Corporation Street. Also a Chinese supermarket on Tentercroft Street which sells all kinds of herbs and spices, not to mention good old Singha and Chang.

Chok dee khrap.

Hi IvanLaw,

Just sent you a PM.

As well as the "Big Wok" And "Thailand Number One" in Lincoln, there's "Thai One On" near Brayford Pool and the "Chiang Mai" takeaway on Corporation Street. Also a Chinese supermarket on Tentercroft Street which sells all kinds of herbs and spices, not to mention good old Singha and Chang.

Chok dee khrap.

Thanks for the Info Trebilcock :D

I have viewed you PM and will, in all probability, take up your offer when Oi arrives. :o

Lincoln is not far from Boston so I think a day shopping will be in order :D

Not my favourite occupation but must be done. Can’t wait to see her reaction

Now to the Garden while the Sun is still shining :D

Once again thanks.

Ivan

Other offers, Information from anyone please, All gratefully received :D

Why don't you try a local Buddhist Temple, it might be the answer to bothe your problems. My Temple in Birmingham teaches Thai and English, either privately, (£15.00 per hour) or in a class for which there is no charge, but you are "expected to make a contribution to the Temple".

I have seen a few Thai girls in their praying as well.

Why don't you try a local Buddhist Temple, it might be the answer to bothe your problems. My Temple in Birmingham teaches Thai and English, either privately, (£15.00 per hour) or in a class for which there is no charge, but you are "expected to make a contribution to the Temple".

I have seen a few Thai girls in their praying as well.

Thanks for your Input :D

Both my wife and I are committed Buddhists,

Nearest Temple is in Nottingham, about 50 miles from Boston.

Actual English Learning Program will not be a problem, Local College.

My main concern was having an actual Thai person for her to speak to in the local area, Exchange ideas Experiences etc.

Oi is extremely resourceful and I am sure she will cope but I want to do every thing I can to help her through the Initial difficulty of a new county, new way of life etc. :D

Thank you for your thoughts

Regards

Ivan

Guest endure

I don't think there's a Thai temple in Nottingham. If there is I've spent the last 10 years driving 150 miles further than I need to :o

The nearest temples to Nottingham are Warwick and Birmingham.

I don't think there's a Thai temple in Nottingham. If there is I've spent the last 10 years driving 150 miles further than I need to :o

Khoopkhun, I stand corrected, :D

Just checked the address I was given,

Information from Nottingham Buddhist Centre

http://www.nottinghambuddhistcentre.org

Maybe of use to you? :D

Alas, no luck with my original request. :D

Regards & Chookdii

Ivan

Guest endure
I don't think there's a Thai temple in Nottingham. If there is I've spent the last 10 years driving 150 miles further than I need to  :o

Khoopkhun, I stand corrected, :D

Just checked the address I was given,

Information from Nottingham Buddhist Centre

http://www.nottinghambuddhistcentre.org

Maybe of use to you? :D

Alas, no luck with my original request. :D 

Regards & Chookdii

Ivan

I've not been there. I suspect it may be a farang organised place. The temple I go to in Warwick has a farang monk but he was ordained 25 years ago in Thailand and it has a very large proportion of Thai attendees together with Burmese, Sri Lankans and, of course, us farang:

http://www.foresthermitage.org.uk/

Sorry you've not had better luck with your request. The large concentrations of Thais are in the bigger cities or university towns.

Thanks for the Link,

Yes I have tried but negative response. :o

Never Mind, It will make life a little hard for Oi but I am sure she will soon make friends via college etc + my Daughter is looking forward to having a “Baby Sitter” she can trust and talk to, (They get on OK via Telephone)

For now just waiting for her Visa Interview and then to meet her at the Airport.

Regards

Ivan

Don't know if your interested endure but i go to a Thai Buddhist temple in Manchester for my Thai Language lessons. It only opened last year i think. They have 3 Thai monks and quite alot of Thai's from the area go, really nice and friendly. It might be worth a drive up one day. If your interested i'll dig out the website.

mr BoJ

Edited by mrbojangles