Raw Pig Blood In Thai Noodle Soups

Jingthing

nah...can't have any blood in the larb; even my family who are into basic shit insure that the pork is fully cooked...

I don't eat larb much that's prepared at home as there appears to be a competition to see who can make the spiciest, they also prefer the guts to the ground meat...they do a good one down the food stall at the bus station, however...excellent wid sticky rice and a cold Leo...

Last guess about your mystery noodles... ขนมจีน-น้ำพริก

kanomjean-nampric-02.JPG

if not. i give up

That is getting closer but again I don't think it is kanomjean (shown already here).

^Well your having a little whine about how the thais make some of their noodle soups, get over it, pick a different soup or push the blood aside (if your referring to the soup where the blood turns solid when cooked).

Geeze, Im surprised you didnt make a poll out of this one. :)

Normally when I don't like something in a particular type of dish, I ask for that to be kept out or order something else......its not that hard. Now whos stupid? :D

Many years ago up by Chiang Mai when out in the sticks buying (very fresh) pork I sampled the warm blood of a freshly killed pig....in fairness smartly followed by a couple of long pulls on a large Beer!!!!

Now I could tell you that I look 10 years younger than I really am!!!.......but as a comment such as that would probably triple the consumption of Laab Muu by farang in Thailand.....

I will only state that after all these years no adverse effect....... :)

^Well your having a little whine about how the thais make some of their noodle soups, get over it, pick a different soup or push the blood aside (if your referring to the soup where the blood turns solid when cooked).

Normally when I don't like something in a particular type of dish, I ask for that to be kept out or order something else......its not that hard. Now whos stupid? :D

Yes sure buddy Americans are all stupid and only eat at McDonalds. If it makes you happy to believe ridiculous stereotypes about nationalities, be my guest. Satisfied?

BTW, this site is for sharing information and asking questions. Didn't anyone ever tell you there is no such thing as a (sincere) stupid question? This thread was not only about how to ask for no blood, but for more information about raw blood in Thai soups in general. I knew about boat noodles before but wondered about other soups, etc. Also be aware some people new to Thailand read this site and may not know anything about raw blood in Thai food. Being civil wouldn't kill you, dude.

Edited by Jingthing

i think i may be able to help you out on this one, seeing as my wife sells all sorts of noddle varieties(kutieow)with pork and fish

adding either tom yam soup or nam tok (pigs blood soup with herb and vegetables)

as far as i can understand, if you do not want the blood, when ordering just say "my ouw lueat(blood)"

Any tips on pronouncing lueat? Thanks?

i always prononce it loowat, everybody understands when i say it. mi toncan loowat, not want blood, or as the other thread says my ouw loowat

just made up my fishing bait, i bought a bag of pigs blood, nearly made me throw up mixing it let alone eating it.

when it comes to raw offal dont go near it, it will certainly contain internal parasites from the host animal, remember BSE

souce Nation Officials of Public Health Region 8 have banned the consumption of raw pork and raw pig's blood following the detection of three cases of infection with the swine bacterium streptococcus suis (S suis). Separately, three people died of S suis infection after a feast of raw pork and blood in Phayao province on April 25.

Edited by NALAK

o.k. jingthing. the only thing that i can come up with after having a discussion with several family members is.

(oh and sorry about the spelling and pronounciation) kutieow khaek or khaeg. the same way you would say khai(egg) but with a different ending. beleive me its not easy trying to explain to a load of thais how to write thai in english.

anyway the word means "muslim" in thai and the particular noodle soup dish is what the thais call hot red thai/muslim/indian noodle soup.

hope this is what your on about, if not i give up. sorry :)

if the blood is in your dish so are all those lovely little parasites and there eggs, ever wonder why Thais get intesternal worms. if the blood is added raw to a soup the temperature will be great for the bugs to reproduce like crazy in your guts, bonking bugs in our guts, yuk

Here's another.post-19515-1269229854_thumb.jpg

That broth looks pretty close. The ingredients look different though. I think I usually see noodles, perhaps yellow noodles. No big chunks of veg or meat balls in it, maybe mince? That other post about red hot Muslim style, that might be it too. The mystery continues until I see this on the street again and feel like bothering a stranger to ask what he is eating, ha ha.

I bet it is what is commonly known as tom yum noodles. There are numerous varieties and some of them have broth that is very similar in appearance to my earlier post. You can choose what noodles to have with it. Tom Yum moo sap is the most common, with or without meatballs.

Yes I know tom yum noodles, but really the broth I am talking about is much more red chile intense than any tom yum soup I have ever seen or eaten, and yes I know tom yum has different styles (clear, darker with chile/spice paste, sometimes milk). What I have seen is always on the street; never in a food court ...

Edited by Jingthing

Yes I know tom yum noodles, but really the broth I am talking about is much more red chile intense than any tom yum soup I have ever seen or eaten, and yes I know tom yum has different styles (clear, darker with chile/spice paste, sometimes milk). What I have seen is always on the street; never in a food court ...

post-19515-1269235475_thumb.jpgpost-19515-1269235499_thumb.png[

Unless it is some regional speciality, my guess would be "Paneng" (red hot Curry) or

"Nam ya baa"usually eaten with Khanom Cheene... otherwise i pass....

The blood in thai food soups and salads is always congealed, solidified, cookedin some way... neverraw!

this is only the case with Cobra-Cocktail - YUK!

and some special local dishes where they are ordered that way, with raw ingredients... a STERN WARNING to ALL

NOT to CONSUME RAW MEATS, INNARDS in hot climate and hygienic situations as found around here!

Edited by Samuian

The middle AND the right side picture. Those may be it. If so, kind of an anticlimax. Are you saying that's tom yum noodles or khanom jin? If so, it (and the street versions even more) have more visible chile flakes than is normal in a non-noodle tom yum/khanom jin. So how to order in Thai to be like the middle picture and the right side picture? BTW, I have had tom yum noodles in food courts and it doesn't look like those pictures, but whatever, just trying to get to the food truth of it.

OK, looking at the pictures again, I think the right side picture may actually be the closest.

Edited by Jingthing

The middle AND the right side picture. Those may be it. If so, kind of an anticlimax. Are you saying that's tom yum noodles or khanom jin? If so, it (and the street versions even more) have more visible chile flakes than is normal in a non-noodle tom yum/khanom jin. So how to order in Thai to be like the middle picture and the right side picture? BTW, I have had tom yum noodles in food courts and it doesn't look like those pictures, but whatever, just trying to get to the food truth of it.

OK, looking at the pictures again, I think the right side picture may actually be the closest.

That is sen lek tom yum moo sap. Typically sold by food carts or roadside stalls but not the kind found in food courts.

That is sen lek tom yum moo sap. Typically sold by food carts or roadside stalls but not the kind found in food courts.

Probably right. I will try to order it somewhere. What does the sap part mean? Is this dish typically without fresh pork blood? Thanks for the help.

Edited by Jingthing

Probably right. I will try to order it somewhere. What does the sap part mean? Is this dish typically without fresh pork blood? Thanks for the help.

moo sap is basically minced or finely chopped up pork.

same as if you were to order pad krapow moo sap khai dow, for example.

or if you want sliced or crispy sliced pork it would be, moo chin.