Red-Shirts Blamed For Falling Beer Sales

webfact

Red-shirts blamed for falling beer sales

BANGKOK: -- The producers of Chang beer, Thai Beverage Public Compay Ltd. have blamed the anti-government, pro-democracy protest by et United front of Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), for falling beer sales.

Charlie Jitcharoongphorn, deputy managing director of Thai Beverage Marketing, said beer consumption has slowed significantly since the red-shirts rally begun.

“People are spending less time on out-of-home activities. They prefer to stay home during this time of demonstration. Consumers do not care about the promotions they can get, but pay most attention to their own security”, he said.

According to Mr. Charlie, beer sales dropped by between 10 and 11 per cent in volume across the board last year, to about Bt100 billion (about $US3.092 billion) due to an average 10 percent increase in retail prices by brewers.

He said there was a significant improvement in sales in the first two months of 2010, with sales growing by about 7 percent over the same period in 2009.

Mr. Charlie also said Thai Beverage will spend Bt800 million ($US24.737 billion) with a new marketing campaign titled, "Khon Thai Hua Jai Deaw Gan" (Thais with a single heart).

The campaign is part of the company’s Bt60 million ($US1.857 million) investment in "The One" campaign.

Seven finalists will be selected from more than 500 contestants to be the brands representative in social and country activities, including attempting to break 10 world records, which will be witnessed by Guinness World Records officials.

Mr. Charlie said the company’s rebranding efforts were also paying off, with 25 percent of respondents recognizing the brand from advertising, compared with only 19 percent of rival brand Leo and 7 percent for Singha.

According to Mr. Charlie Chang had increased market share by 4 percent in the first two months of this ea. giving it a market share of about 40 percent.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2010-03-19

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to do with the fact that the price of four cans of Chang from the 711 just went up 12.5% in one fell swoop last month, from 88 to 99 baht of course, isn't it then? :)

Interesting. I don't drink beer on a regular basis so I didn't know the prices went up suddenly like that. Wonder what the logic was...maybe so that they can lower it to 88 baht again during the World Cup months and call it a promotion? :D

Nothing to do with the fact that the price of four cans of Chang from the 711 just went up 12.5% in one fell swoop last month, from 88 to 99 baht of course, isn't it then? :)

Interesting. I don't drink beer on a regular basis so I didn't know the prices went up suddenly like that. Wonder what the logic was...maybe so that they can lower it to 88 baht again during the World Cup months and call it a promotion? :D

It was the most ironic thing, as I'd budgetted my money so well over those last few days until that last pension cheque came through, and wandered in on the Thursday, definitely in the market for a burger moo and a packet of potato chips, only to find that I was 21 baht short of my budget! (I'd expected to land with one single baht left in my pocket before payday, but walked out with 4 baht to my name and NO burger moo, and no blimmen potato chips! :D ). Still I had to laugh at the irony of the uselessness of good budgetting.

Once bitten twice shy. Now I buy my Changs in bulk when the opportunity arises, and advise the beware the hazards of the 711!

I think the red shirts rally was responsible for the global economic downturn, the high value of the baht, global warming, the yellows occupying the airport. The rising cost of fuel, my inability to putt a ball properly, unexpected credit card bills, polution in Chiang Mai etc. :)

I think the red shirts rally was responsible for the global economic downturn, the high value of the baht, global warming, the yellows occupying the airport. The rising cost of fuel, my inability to putt a ball properly, unexpected credit card bills, polution in Chiang Mai etc. :D

Oh Gee whiz! If you're a woman I wanna have your love child! :)

Yes quite convenient to blame poor sales on a demo by 100,000 people.

My wifes folks run a general provisions shop up North and tell her that the price of everything has gone up recently. This and the fact there is no water for crops= no work=not much money for beer.

Edited by soihok

My wifes folks run a general provisions shop up North and tell her that the price of everything has gone up recently. This and the fact there is no water for crops=work=not much money for beer.

Funny since Afta came into affect, my heineken at the local family mart has gone down 4 baht a can.

I'm pretty much just drinking import beer at this point. Why drink Chang when I can drink Beer Lao? Why drink Leo when I can drink Blanche de Namur? There's so many better options in Thailand than just the local swill. When it comes to tap beer though, Tawandaeng still has my strong support. Absolutely fantastic wheat beer for the price.

Interesting. I don't drink beer on a regular basis so I didn't know the prices went up suddenly like that. Wonder what the logic was...maybe so that they can lower it to 88 baht again during the World Cup months and call it a promotion? :)

You should work in marketing.

Of all the things I can think of that the red shirts could be blamed for, a drop in alcohol sales is the last one.

I don't know, 100,000 of them here not drinking instead of being back home and drinking = falling beer sales :)

Of all the things I can think of that the red shirts could be blamed for, a drop in alcohol sales is the last one.

I don't know, 100,000 of them here not drinking instead of being back home and drinking = falling beer sales :)

If they keep up this passing the blame for their own malpractice onto innocent parties, it might work out fairly neatly to qualify for a work visa to Australia yet. I hope they keep it up and make that journey to TLC (the lucky country) for then we can be rid of them and get back to normal life, like I came so far to find again.

Mr. Charlie also said Thai Beverage will spend Bt800 million ($US24.737 billion) with a new marketing campaign titled, "Khon Thai Hua Jai Deaw Gan" (Thais with a single heart).

almost 25 billion USD. Wow that is going to be one hel l of a marketing campaign.

almost 25 billion USD. Wow that is going to be one hel l of a marketing campaign.

let's see, the deputy md of the biggest company here or a nation editor getting the numbers wrong?

Did a few bars in S C last night and not many floging beer at less than Rol Bt...which I REFUSE to pay....Nuffing to do with the Reds ...

Spoke to a couple of me old mates (now mama Sans...) and even they admit prices have got silly....still pays yer dosh and all that...

Offshore still OK.......yeah ...old git....MPR :D:)

I'm pretty much just drinking import beer at this point. Why drink Chang when I can drink Beer Lao? Why drink Leo when I can drink Blanche de Namur? There's so many better options in Thailand than just the local swill. When it comes to tap beer though, Tawandaeng still has my strong support. Absolutely fantastic wheat beer for the price.

Out of curiosity, where do you find "Blanche de Namur"?

That would be a nice change from my regular "Hoegarden"... :)

I always get a kick out of reading the Beer Chang articles quoting "Mr. Charlie.." You'd have to be an American with some sense of black history in the States to get the idea...

Seems like the marketing folks at Chang are working overtime... Anything for a bit of free publicity... tying their falling beer sales into the Red Shirt protests... Nah... couldn't have anything to do with the beer itself... :)

"According to Mr. Charlie Chang had increased market share by 4 percent in the first two months of this ea. giving it a market share of about 40 percent."

A comma would have been useful.

I thought it was the inscrutable Chinese at fault.

Good to see Chang beer were using traditional Thai sales and pricing methods

Since volume went down 10% last year = prices up 10% this year

Even Steven and Thai business as usual

I don't drink alcohol so I do not care about prices

but every night I sit on my balcony and watch

dozens of cars and mopeds drive by in the dark

with no lights turned on.

On a brighter note, I have noticed a 10% decrease in the

number of people doing so

My wifes folks run a general provisions shop up North and tell her that the price of everything has gone up recently. This and the fact there is no water for crops=work=not much money for beer.

Funny since Afta came into affect, my heineken at the local family mart has gone down 4 baht a can.

Canned beer? No wonder some people think Thais look down on farang! I am guessing here but I bet they only look down on farang that drink canned beer! (particularly in the daytime!)

might be something to do with farangs on fixed income and weak currencies!! (euro/gbp)

also this time last yr a two pack of chang was 67 baht and now 82/83! at tesco was 33 baht per bottle now 41! not much in terms of baht but percentage wise quite substantial!

I think the red shirts rally was responsible for the global economic downturn, the high value of the baht, global warming, the yellows occupying the airport. The rising cost of fuel, my inability to putt a ball properly, unexpected credit card bills, polution in Chiang Mai etc. :)

Of course but you forgot the draught

Edited by hardy1943

They impact Khao San quite a bit, just because it's been a pain in the ass getting there because of traffic. Don't see why they'd have much effect in the rest of the city, it's not like you ever even see any anywhere else unless they're on one of their daytime walkabouts.

Meanwhile --- Lao Khao sales went up 100% in BKK over the last week ......

I would hope that they might work on a major long-term promotion for Chang Lite, in bottles, large and small, and the cans that I partake of in the privacy of this hotel room when nobody is around to see me sans straw.

The reason is that Chang Classic is an excellent beverage for a single bottle or maybe two in company with friends over dinner, but more than that will usually get most people rather scallywaggedly drunk, and yet, I have tested the Lite over time, and can drink even a dozen cans over seven or eight hours and still remain as totally sober as I am wrightt nowh as ish youse cen tawll frm ny tipung, rig hear on thish forum okay?

Honestly, Chang Lite is an excellent way to enjoy an holiday or some relaxation time off work, and still remain reasoinably sober enough to not make a complete fool of yourself, because it tastes as good as the real thing, but you'll remember that in the morning.

Sorry but I think Chang Draught tastes like a 'Lite' and the Lite just doesn't taste - of anything. I must admit however only trying it once when I was mistakenly served Lite instead of Classic. I thought I was drinking my wife's soda, although that would at least have had a 'taste'.

Chang has always been my preferred tipple here but if not served ICE COLD (and in the Thai way with ice) it can taste revolting and only of chemicals.

If there was decent wine available and at a reasonable price I would change (or at least alternate) to that.