Suggest A Car For Me Please?

manarak

We are 4 people in the family and I will probably quite frequently be hauling 6 or 7 people around.

I am currently driving a cool & rather flat Honda Odyssey, and think that car is great, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be advisable for the LOS:

- I'd like to sit a little higher than now, with my ass just about 20cm above the road! I need improved visibility in Thailand.

- Then my other fear is that the nose will often bump into sidestones, uneven bumps or whatever. The car's just too low.

So, I'm looking for another car model. Requirements would be:

- Cabin higher than on my Odyssey

- Good fuel consumption (in no case more than 10 liters of diesel for 100Km, 7-8 liters desirable)

- Seating for at least 7 people

- Back seats should recline completely

- Ability to climb sidestones of approx. 25-30cm without trouble

I had a look at the Toyota Fortuner, which seems more or less to fulfill the requirements, though I'd prefer to have something that looks less bulky.

What are the alternatives?

Which other 7 or 8-seaters compete with the Fortuner in Thailand?

Edited by manarak

Which other 7 or 8-seaters compete with the Fortuner in Thailand?

Off the top of my head (ignoring the mega-million Euro brands):

Ford Everest

Honda Freed

Hyundai H1

Kia Grand Carnival

Isuzu MU-7

Mazda CX-9

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Suzuki APV

Thairung Adventure

Thairung Allroader

Toyota Avanza

Toyota Commuter

Toyota Innova

Toyota Fortuner

Toyota Ventury

Toyota Wish

Of course you've also got the Porsche Cayenne, BMW X Series, Audi Q series etc - but they're priced more like sprawling mansions with wheels :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I had a look at the Toyota Fortuner, which seems more or less to fulfill the requirements, though I'd prefer to have something that looks less bulky.

Narrowing it down; in the same price bracket you could get Ford Everest, Isuzu MU-7, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, Honda CRV or Chevrolet Captiva. Of those, the CRV and Captiva are the least 'bulky' and the CRV is the most 'car-like' to drive I think, if that helps. The Captiva's 2 litre diesel engine offers the best efficiency, but Honda's have the best resale value. So take look at the CRV or 2nd hand Captiva from Chevy Plus.

Narrowing it down; in the same price bracket you could get Ford Everest, Isuzu MU-7, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, Honda CRV or Chevrolet Captiva. Of those, the CRV and Captiva are the least 'bulky' and the CRV is the most 'car-like' to drive I think, if that helps. The Captiva's 2 litre diesel engine offers the best efficiency, but Honda's have the best resale value. So take look at the CRV or 2nd hand Captiva from Chevy Plus.

CRV does not seat 7-8 people

Saw the Freed at the Honda dealers the other day whilst in there (open day free food etc) Its looks kind of odd the wheels are too small for the body it looks like a bloated Jazz. It will take 7 but very little luggage in this configuration, start at about 850k pricewise abysmal colour choice white grey black silver I think?

A lot of plastic even in the top of the range model, made in Indonesia not Thailand. Top model has electric rear sliding doors ( novelty of this will soon wear off) I dont plan on buying anytime soon.

Edited by yabaaaa

If you need space for 6 to 7 people and presumably luggage, I would recommend considering the Volvo CX90. It has true 7 seat capacity and still room for luggage, which most other 7 seaters don't.

I would believe you can find a second hand XC90 for around 1.5 mil, which is about the price of a new Fortuner. But don't forget, the Fortuner is basically a truck.

The Volvo XC90 comes as a petrol and as a Diesel version. The petrol version is quite thirsty (hence the slow resell value). It's a safe, comfortable and reliable car. Have a look.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

That certainly widens my horizon.

The smaller SUVs all have the problem that with a 3rd row seating, theres absolutely zero space for any luggage.

Makes one wonder why they don't just add 50cm length to have a long version.

I guess I will have to go for a tank.

Good suggestions:

Mitsubishi Pajero

Isuzu MU-7

Thairung Adventure

Thairung Allroader

Ford Everest

Unsure:

Toyota Innova - deserves a look, capacity to climb ??

Toyota Wish - deserves a look, capacity to climb ??

Unsuitable:

Mazda CX-9: too small, can't climb

Honda Freed: too small, can't climb

Toyota Avanza: too small, can't climb

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport: too small

Volvo XC90: too small

Chevrolet Captiva: too small

Honda CR: too small, no 3rd row

Hyundai H1: that's a mini-van! - probably high fuel consumption and unable to climb stones

Kia Grand Carnival: same as above

Suzuki APV: same as above

Toyota Commuter: same as above

Toyota Ventury: same as above

Bear in mind that if you buy a 4wd, you will need to spend more on maintenance. I reckon you're better of with something the same physical size as a Fortuner (for example) but 2wd.

How about a Toyota Kluger Grande (in Australia). 2wd 7 seater, fully appointed.

post-22191-1269360575_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions!

That certainly widens my horizon.

The smaller SUVs all have the problem that with a 3rd row seating, theres absolutely zero space for any luggage.

Makes one wonder why they don't just add 50cm length to have a long version.

I guess I will have to go for a tank.

Good suggestions:

Mitsubishi Pajero

Isuzu MU-7

Thairung Adventure

Thairung Allroader

Ford Everest

Unsure:

Toyota Innova - deserves a look, capacity to climb ??

Toyota Wish - deserves a look, capacity to climb ??

Unsuitable:

Mazda CX-9: too small, can't climb

Honda Freed: too small, can't climb

Toyota Avanza: too small, can't climb

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport: too small

Volvo XC90: too small

Chevrolet Captiva: too small

Honda CR: too small, no 3rd row

Hyundai H1: that's a mini-van! - probably high fuel consumption and unable to climb stones

Kia Grand Carnival: same as above

Suzuki APV: same as above

Toyota Commuter: same as above

Toyota Ventury: same as above

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "can't climb" - but I'm assuming you mean you need something that's OK on unsealed/broken surfaces, not a rock climber with 7 seats :) hehe. Based on that, here's a few changes to the list:

Models available with 4WD (so definitely can 'climb'):

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Isuzu MU-7

Thairung Allroader

Ford Everest

Models available with 2WD but with high'ish ground clearance (can handle unsealed roads well enough):

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Isuzu MU-7

Thairung Adventure

Ford Everest

Toyota Innova (based on the 2WD Toyota Hilux pickup chassis)

If you need lots of seating capacity, the Hyundai H-1 seats 12 and is, IMHO, unbeatable value in Thailand at just 1M Baht. It uses a 174 HP 2.5L Turbo diesel engine, so even though it's shaped like a house on wheels it'll still return reasonable fuel economy (based on $ per person, per KM that is).

yes, the Toyota Kluger seems nice too!

The Kluger is not officially available in Thailand, so scrub that one.

By the way, are the ThaiRung cars good?

Thairung are essentially coachbuilders - they take Isuzu and Chevrolet pickups and massage them into SUV's, so no issues from a drivetrain standpoint. The overall styling they come up with is a matter of personal taste of course, but Baht-for-Baht, they're hard to beat on value.

thanks!

with "climb" I meant ground clearance, didn't know the english term.

I definitely want good ground clearance - I won't do any difficult terrain, but I've seen enough places in the LOS where good ground clearance is necessary.

And what's the difference between the Pajero Sport and the normal Pajero?

Isn't the sport version the shorter one?

Thairung really sounds good.

I heard they add all kinds of luxury stuff, and so far I've only read positive opinions.

No, in fact the other way around :)

The Pajero Sport is a 7-seat SUV built upon the Triton pickup drivetrain. Also known as the "Challenger" in some markets. Prices range from ~970,000 to 1.3M Baht:

Pajero Sport

mitsubishipajerosport1.jpg

The Pajero is an entirely different vehicle however. Prices are currently "POA", however when it originally launched it started at 3,950,000 Baht (that's not a typo).

Pajero Exceed

07pajeromm.jpg

No, in fact the other way around :)

The Pajero Sport is a 7-seat SUV built upon the Triton pickup drivetrain. Also known as the "Challenger" in some markets. Prices range from ~970,000 to 1.3M Baht:

Pajero Sport

The Pajero is an entirely different vehicle however. Prices are currently "POA", however when it originally launched it started at 3,950,000 Baht (that's not a typo).

Pajero Exceed

Mitsubishi sold the japs pajero while waiting for thai Pajero Sport to be ready for sale. I believe it only came with a 3,5 gas engine, and the price was subsidised. 80% importduty and 50% excise tax on top of carprice and importduty should have made it cost more than 4 mill baht

Pajero Sport is build to fit thai tax system, and benefits of only 20% excise tax and of course no importduty. For the OP, a 2,5 auto 2wd seems to fit, and sells at less than a mill baht

I have a MU7 4WD and with the booster seat in position, you still have room for a couple of small suitcases together. Remember that the MU7 can come with a luggage rack option, plus you can also get the aftermarket all weather capsules for the roof rack :)

I have a MU7 4WD and with the booster seat in position, you still have room for a couple of small suitcases together. Remember that the MU7 can come with a luggage rack option, plus you can also get the aftermarket all weather capsules for the roof rack :D

And a Chevy 502ci big block option for the weekend drags.

(sorry, sorry) :)

No need to be sorry. Totally good idea, my preference though, would be a Ford Powerstroke twin turbo dually with tire destroying torque to help heat the sneakers :D

If a Volvo XC90 is too small, then you might want to consider one of these green buses, which used to race in the streets of Bangkok. Plenty of room there and probably very cheep now.

A Volvo XC90 too small? Dude, did you ever check it out?

I'll take a Thairung :-)) 15cm longer than the XC90! LOL

Edited by manarak

The Oddesy is a Limo in the shape of a Van. Very hard car to replace.

I suggest the op th check out the Mu7 Paj Sport and Fortuner as the "value" of anything else is notably less on the used market and the OP doesn't state how long he'll be keeping it.

FOr what its worth, I have a SportRider (the 7 seater by toyota until the Fortuner came out) I've removed the rearmost seats as I live alone and cna use the space for leg room still fit golf clubs for 5 grown men in the back. I think you should consider the "seven seaterness" as "occasional in all the options unless you go for the Toyota Land Cruser VX470. That is the real alternative to your Oddysey. And while it costs a little more, it does the EXACT job you describe. I get the feeling price is not really important to you. So this would be right up your street.

2008_toyota_land_cruiser_leaked_images_5.jpg

2010-Toyota-Land-Cruiser.jpg

Edited by Loz

A 1968 Dodge Charger with a 426 Hemi V8 (7 ltr) motor. :) Fun for all the family.

dont think this is available in thailand,,, bloody bastard...

No, but he talks about cars, not about plastic toys. But beside jokes, The Nissan X Trail, not a bad looking car at all. Better looking than the usual boring stuff. U can buy used 2006 models for about 600+++'k up, much nicer and better look than Fortuner, Captiva and CRV

yes, the land cruiser is great but a bit pricey!

I got the following model of the Odyssey (black on the pix), just not so overstyled like on these pix, but still looking mean & fast...

But sitting in it is like sitting on the road, the car is very low, which is great for good roads, but not so great on bad roads and situations where one must have a good overview.

And I don't like the looks of the new Odyssey which looks too much like a family van:

post-67243-1270087803_thumb.jpg

post-67243-1270087822_thumb.jpg

post-67243-1270087891_thumb.jpg

Edited by manarak

If the new Odyssey looks like a van, what is there?

7 seats But NO van or 4x4..

Has the 'E' class Benz Estate here got the 3rd row of seat option?

Has the 'V' class Volvo estate got the 3rd row of seat option here?

if budget is a consideration and you are realistic about the occasional nature of the 7 seating... Fortuner/Mu7/Paj Sport. It just comes down to personal taste. Fortuner will have best resale followed by Mu7, with paj not far behind. Despite silly car back hype, I'd take a 'yota every time. I had the Pajero (Montana) in the US back in 2001, I loved it but it was on lease and so "True" cost was not such a consideration. the paj sport is like the "diet" version but no worse really than the other two.

Landcruiser Prado is a good halfway house to the real deal. Seen a few so must be reasonable availability.

A forum sponsoring company has a 2006 Land Cruiser with 50k Km for sale for just 1.1m but marked as "diplomatic sales only" - I guess this means that one must be extra nice when negociating.

Regarding Toyota, I guess the Land Cruiser or the Fortuner will be fine, but I drove Toyota cars (sedans) a couple of years ago, and I hated the handling & feeling - I had the impression to steer a boat and didn't feel the road. Honda is much better in this department.

Loz, I agree with your assessment, Furtuner/MU7/Paj Sport ... or Land Cruiser if I can afford it.

Question answered.

A forum sponsoring company has a 2006 Land Cruiser with 50k Km for sale for just 1.1m but marked as "diplomatic sales only" - I guess this means that one must be extra nice when negociating.

Regarding Toyota, I guess the Land Cruiser or the Fortuner will be fine, but I drove Toyota cars (sedans) a couple of years ago, and I hated the handling & feeling - I had the impression to steer a boat and didn't feel the road. Honda is much better in this department.

Loz, I agree with your assessment, Furtuner/MU7/Paj Sport ... or Land Cruiser if I can afford it.

Question answered.

Diplomatic Sales only, means the car is not registered in Thailand yet (maybe steering on the left side as well). It have blue plates with white letters. Fortuner is maybe the nicest in the 1 mill bahtrange, but the "most wanted" for thiefs.